What instrument(s) do you play?

You are seriously missing the fucking point here :D

There are many well established bands still doing the rounds that are capable of playing instruments.

I'm asking for evidence of ones founded since the turn of the century that actually exhibit any talent.

(If anyone says Justin Bieber, they can suck my dick...)
But you gotta admit Justin Bieber is just so incredibly talen.. OK, no, fuck it. I think even joking about that can land you in hell :D

I think the problem is that it's harder and harder to write history in music. For many famous musicians, electronic music has become the base for their pop garbage. So being talented isn't even the requirement for becoming famous anymore.
edit: there's even fully autotuned songs on the radio more often than not, so you don't even have to be able to sing. Just look pretty.

Other than that, there's some very talented musicians out there still, but nothing game changing, because the game is so ancient. 2Cellos are ridiculously good musicians though, they were founded post millenium. But again: nothing game changing, just 2 very very talented musicians.

Last edited:
It is impossible to separate contemporary music making with social media. There are bubbles everywhere. No single, coherent or unified ecosystem is possible anymore.

Some of the most innovative and ground breaking of Mozart's compositions happened after he became deaf and just before passing away.

Perhaps today the question is about showmanship because there really are no patron of the arts, so to speak, these days.

@F.U.B.A.R. listen to la dispute, or hit the switch, or a million other punk bands with any sort of technical edge that were founded in the past 20 years. honestly when i saw la dispute live a few years back i nearly went home and cried cos they were so young but so fucking good a tsong writing and playing their instruments and it made me feel like a failure as a human being cos i had achieved nothing and was older than them.

i am attempting to play the bass right now but am too drunk and therefore posting shite here instead.

in fact @F.U.B.A.R. there is a local band to here called fair do's who i am pretty sure were in primary school at the turn of the century and are really good at their instruments. their drummer is in like 3 bands and plays a different instrument in each and i hate him for being so talented.

in fact @F.U.B.A.R. there is a local band to here called fair do's who i am pretty sure were in primary school at the turn of the century and are really good at their instruments. their drummer is in like 3 bands and plays a different instrument in each and i hate him for being so talented.
There's always someone better :) take it as an inspiration to improve your skills more, that's what I do when I see people like that

Whereas I have to contend with watching David Brent's Life on the Road.

you are completely right @December Flower i don't really hate him, i am just jealous of his obvious natural talent and hard work. i'm trying to make up for lost time with music but it feels impossible when i see these children who are just amazing.

you are completely right @December Flower i don't really hate him, i am just jealous of his obvious natural talent and hard work. i'm trying to make up for lost time with music but it feels impossible when i see these children who are just amazing.
Don't take it as a slight to your talent or the work you put in :) Just enjoy the music, as I'm sure you do enjoy playing. And ofc there's always lots and lots to learn when you meet talented musicians.

Even though I've been playing music all my life I have a bit of a condition concerning my nerve endings on my left hand. Since a very bad accident in my childhood I've been left feeling almost nothing with my left hand(which is my dominant hand, btw). Felt absolutely nothing for a long time, now it's just much much less than the right.
Since then I just had to accept that I will never be as good as others, but that's OK, yknow? I play because I like playing :)

I can faintly recall reading a post about this guy's musician friend who said something along the lines that, "life is about learning the art of letting go."

oh god that sounds awful!!! i'm glad you have some feeling back in your hand and didn't let it deter you. but you are right, its for the fun of playing. i exclusively listen to and play punk rock so its always been about my own enjoyment, even if i finally get a band together only a handful of people would ever listen/enjoy.

i started playing piano when i was like 7 and got pretty good, when i went to uni all music became second to drugs, i had the odd attempt here and there at playing the bass but these past two years have been the first time i've really tried. its super fun when it works but hard work to get to the point of being able to play anything well, despite the common conceptions about punk rock!!

oh god that sounds awful!!! i'm glad you have some feeling back in your hand and didn't let it deter you. but you are right, its for the fun of playing. i exclusively listen to and play punk rock so its always been about my own enjoyment, even if i finally get a band together only a handful of people would ever listen/enjoy.

I've really come to terms with it, it doesn't even bother me anymore.
It's not as bad as it was in my teens. Especially playing the piano was killing me, it was so hard to keep track of what my fucking hand was doing, because I didn't feel it, and I made so god-damned many mistakes that I grew really frustrated. I thought I was done as a musician, before I ever really started.
That's around the time I started playing the guitar right-handed style, so I could watch my left hand permanently. I only played easy rhythm-guitar stuff though, really, and started to sing to it. Which is pretty cool in review, because I love singing, and I wouldn't ever have had the balls for that if not for my hand.
When the feeling started to return more and more (in the span of 1 1/2 years after the accident) it became easier to play piano again, cause I could feel my hand again(slightly).

Alto sax,, middle school stuff like 1.5 years.
Bass guitar 1.5 years many years ago.
Mandolin about a year and currently studying and taking weekly lessons. :p

Drums since I was a child, father was a drummer and taught me the basics.
Guitar from the age of 14, so 20 years later now.

Mostly play alternative/punk/noise/dreampop/shit. Dabble with the banjo, bass, keys and uke.

Violin, flute and accordion. I want to try guitar but my hands are tiny and I have problems with some cords

It is impossible to separate contemporary music making with social media. There are bubbles everywhere. No single, coherent or unified ecosystem is possible anymore.

Some of the most innovative and ground breaking of Mozart's compositions happened after he became deaf and just before passing away.

Perhaps today the question is about showmanship because there really are no patron of the arts, so to speak, these days.
Umm, dude...Mozart deaf? Mozart died from.. well that's not quite clear, only that he became ill and died within 3 months.
You mean Beethoven, and what made his music so great after becoming deaf was that it got simpler, which the folk of his time liked a lot, and the simpletons of today too :) Not my cup of tea, and not rly ground breaking. His best work is Piano Sonata No. 17 (in my opinion!) which was long before he turned completely deaf. I find when he developed his hearing problems was the most amazing phase of Beethoven, because you can really feel the deep brooding & conflict in his music.

Mozart wrote bombshells all his fucking life, starting from age 5, with parts like Piano Sonata No. 11's Alla Turca - Allegretto being the moment where I just melt. Mozart was an entirely different calibre than Beethoven, sorry Beethoven fans.

Classically trained in piano and music theory as a child/adolescent. Taught myself how to play guitar first after that and then learned bass guitar, drums, mandolin, uke, harmonica, etc. I can essentially pick up just about any instrument and figure it out. Some I'm better at than others and certainly some I'm not good at in the slightest, but there is nothing better than a good jam sesh. Y'all know what I'm talking about. When you are all on point and on the same wavelength and it just comes together and then you all look up at eachother and silently ask one another with your facial expression if it sounds as good as you think it does then you listen to the recording to see and it totally does. Almost beats that heroin rush, man. One day it will.

I learned on guitar, but have since realized I am home on the bass. I consider myself a better songwriter than a player by any means. Still desperately trying to sing and play guitar at the same time, but I bumble and am slowly making progress. Picking up an electric guitar feels so foreign at this point that I simply don't even have one anymore.

I like the groove and enjoy showing up cocky guitarists w/ my melodic and booming playing. While they twiddle on their shrill 6 strings. But I can pick up pretty much anything and make it sound like something.