• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe What exactly is the Bupe "honeymoon period"?

I had a honeymoon period with bupe.

I originally started taking it for tramadol withdrawal. My heroin dealer would come around with heroin or suboxone & for a much cheaper price, I would get the subs some times. Of course I preferred heroin & tramadol but the bupe kept me from going into withdrawal as fast & was more economically feasible at the time.

And since at times, I was in withdrawals or had lost some of my full agonist dependence, the bupe actually gave me a buzz.
I'd compare it to a more sedating tramadol, but with less euphoria. The nods felt more like "I've been up for 5 days & am ready for bed" kind of nods, rather than "wow, I'm in a blissful heaven heroin-type" of nod. But I enjoyed it when my tolerance was low enough. It made me look at the world through these very "dreamy" lenses. And everything literally felt "rosey" and pink hued & all around just comfortable.

One thing I always loved about opioids was how much they made my music sound better & I could literally sit around listening to the same music for hours & never feel bored for even a moment. Bupe had some of this effect, but was no where near as powerful, which was very disappointing.

Of course, once you do this everyday & it builds up, you can say goodbye to that honeymoon because then all you'll get is the sedation & constipation & that's about it.

You can have a 'honeymoon' period with any drug (recreationally speaking) for the most part, if your tolerance allows it.

If that's the honeymoon period then I had it for the first 3 months. Just a little buzz and that's all. But I don't miss it. My primary goal was to fix 3 thing. 1.Oxy addiction 2. Depression 3.Chronic pain (headache). Bupe still works and I feel much, much better. How long this gonna last l don't know, but secretly hope for another few years. Its amazing thing to feel "normal" without any cravings for opioids. All the best mate. ✌️
That's how I started off.

The buzz is gave me was really mild. There were times when it became overpowering though. Like too strong. But it wasn't euphoric. They were most likely non-fatal OD's, since bupe is technically pretty powerful, it just doesn't fit into the receptor the same, so it doesn't cause any intense euphoria. There's also some debate on it's metabolites. Some of it's metabolites are non-mu agonists that can cause sedation on their own. Which is why I think the "nods" from bupe feel so much lacking in depth compared to a real full agonist nod. And it's why I think bupe makes me feel so much more groggy than other opioids. Another metabolite of bupe, nobuprenorphine is a full agonist & could provide some euphoria, but it's debated whether or not it even reaches the brain & if it does, it might be inhibited by PGP or even blocked by the parent compound, buprenorphine.

At first the bupe stopped my suicidal behaviors & thoughts & I finally felt normal & secure knowing I didn't have to score from the streets anymore. I finally felt somewhat "stable" for the first time in my life & was quite happy about it.
This lasted about 2-3 years tops & now I'm year 5 or 6 & it doesn't really do any of the positives anymore. It's also caused chronic constipation to the point where I'm wondering if I'm gonna end up with diverticulitis or some other bowel/colo-rectal issue because of it. It also makes me hella fuckin' tired now & the pain relief/energy part (if I get it at all) only lasts about 1-2hrs, versus how it use to last all day. Yet at the same time, I know going without any opioid is asking for trouble, so I have to stay on it, since unfortunately they don't offer any other opioids for this purpose other than methadone. Which is a pain in the ass to have to go to the clinic every day just to take it.

That's how I started off.

The buzz is gave me was really mild. There were times when it became overpowering though. Like too strong. But it wasn't euphoric. They were most likely non-fatal OD's, since bupe is technically pretty powerful, it just doesn't fit into the receptor the same, so it doesn't cause any intense euphoria. There's also some debate on it's metabolites. Some of it's metabolites are non-mu agonists that can cause sedation on their own. Which is why I think the "nods" from bupe feel so much lacking in depth compared to a real full agonist nod. And it's why I think bupe makes me feel so much more groggy than other opioids. Another metabolite of bupe, nobuprenorphine is a full agonist & could provide some euphoria, but it's debated whether or not it even reaches the brain & if it does, it might be inhibited by PGP or even blocked by the parent compound, buprenorphine.

At first the bupe stopped my suicidal behaviors & thoughts & I finally felt normal & secure knowing I didn't have to score from the streets anymore. I finally felt somewhat "stable" for the first time in my life & was quite happy about it.
This lasted about 2-3 years tops & now I'm year 5 or 6 & it doesn't really do any of the positives anymore. It's also caused chronic constipation to the point where I'm wondering if I'm gonna end up with diverticulitis or some other bowel/colo-rectal issue because of it. It also makes me hella fuckin' tired now & the pain relief/energy part (if I get it at all) only lasts about 1-2hrs, versus how it use to last all day. Yet at the same time, I know going without any opioid is asking for trouble, so I have to stay on it, since unfortunately they don't offer any other opioids for this purpose other than methadone. Which is a pain in the ass to have to go to the clinic every day just to take it.
I'm sorry to hear that mate. That's my destiny as well and it's just a matter of time when will it happen. I am on Subs just 6 months so I hope that I still have a few years left. I was feeling exactly like you and this stuff saved my life. Literally. Have you tried to talk to your Dr. about changing the dose? Maybe a bit lower or higher would make some difference? Good luck mate! ✌️

I'm sorry to hear that mate. That's my destiny as well and it's just a matter of time when will it happen. I am on Subs just 6 months so I hope that I still have a few years left. I was feeling exactly like you and this stuff saved my life. Literally. Have you tried to talk to your Dr. about changing the dose? Maybe a bit lower or higher would make some difference? Good luck mate! ✌️
Thanks man!

Yeah my dose has fluctuated over the years. I've been on everything from the lowest dose possible to up to 24mg a day.
I found the higher I went, the more I felt like crap. It seems like once you take bupe, you'll get those great positive effects & then if you keep taking it, over time, those go away & then you're just left with a dependence and side effects, unfortunately. This is also due to how buprenorphine is designed.

When I used shorter acting full agonists, the fact that they wore off quicker, meant I could withdrawal a little when I slept at night & then when I'd wake up, my first bump of the day would really get me going. Life was beautiful & I felt I had the energy & stamina to do what all the "non depressed" people do every day.

But with bupe, it hangs onto the receptors so long, that there's no "down" period where your tolerance can lower & bring back the positive effect.

The entire world of addiction treatment and drugs needs to be reformed, more open minded & adults should have the right to make their own choices regarding their health. They don't mind keeping people dependent on the opioids that lose their effects, but god forbid a person "feel good" from them. It boils my blood to no end.

Although I'm an eccentric person & my perspective about drugs differs from the ignorant, mainstream idea that "drugs are bad" and "everyone should strive to be clean".

I'll never be "clean", and all through out my life, I've done a lot of drugs & shit I would have never done if I had just had my heroin/tramadol that day. And all of those drugs were more damaging on my body, organs and psyche than heroin even. lol It's completely ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant here. Wishing everyone the best! Have a great weekend!!!

They have ketamine nasal spray and people say that it works miracles. But I can only dream about it because it costs between $1500 and $2000 PER WEEK!? So I will be on Subs while they are working. After that, I really have no idea... 🤔
There is always the possibility of doing ket on your own, just acquire some ket (vials if possible) and pour it into a saline spray bottle, voila.

For me it didn't work because I've overdone dissociatives before and at some point they stopped working. I wonder how sustainable ket is when used strictly as recommended. Have heard my share of good reviews as well, and in good old days did even DXM induce a multiple days long happy afterglow.

that answe is gonna vary person to person, but imo, if it were me i would use it only for a 7-10 day rapid taper, and be taking less every time i took it. ymmv
Agree 100% TAPER allll dayyy! I've done it, few times and the time I had the most success is I took an 8 mil sub strip cut that shit n literally tapered myself for about 7 days (maybe a bit more than 1 strip but depending on how much you were using...diminish dose to nothing little ny little) n then i jumped off and tooks shitloads of gabapentin for ONLY a few days ( AND SOME DURING TOO) and then I was straight! also afterwards i went to a headshop & got me these killer thc gummies after that * & if I ever got a wild hair up my ass lol, I'd take a piece of that n chill ( let's just say I learned the hardway to NOT take the entire gummy at once, I'd see how it made me feel n if I wanted more then I'd take more bit i found too much gave me a bit of anxiety at times ) look for me personally it's been a process. Bit I had a really bad H/FENT habit that lasted about 10-11 yrs so I respect any1 that's willing to do complete abstinence but I personally just can't right now n ive tried. Cuz I have way too much on my plate right now I lost BOTH my brother and THE LOVEEEE of my life, my bf of 10 fkn years ( basically my husband you know) to this shit. So my situation is a bit Different I'm dealing w a lot of grief, guilt and PTSD (I watched both of them die, I was the person that was w them..so that makes complete Sobrietyfor me HARD AF... NOT gona lie but anyways THATS A Whole nother story) so what in trying to say is that the way you choose to do it I really think is an individual thing, how long and How Much you were using...etc bit hey for me EVEN IF I'm not practicing 100 % abstinence . The fact alone that I kicked dope is a huge deal for me every fkn day ! It took a LONG time for ne to get this though. It's kn hard BUT it does get easier.
But yes tapers do work if done properly but arm yourself w the right tools n really want it! And I pretty much cut all the people out of my life that r still in the game unfortunately. Just my 2 cents guy. Best of luck to all . Love and light✌️🙏

Agree 100% TAPER allll dayyy! I've done it, few times and the time I had the most success is I took an 8 mil sub strip cut that shit n literally tapered myself for about 7 days (maybe a bit more than 1 strip but depending on how much you were using...diminish dose to nothing little ny little) n then i jumped off and tooks shitloads of gabapentin for ONLY a few days ( AND SOME DURING TOO) and then I was straight! also afterwards i went to a headshop & got me these killer thc gummies after that * & if I ever got a wild hair up my ass lol, I'd take a piece of that n chill ( let's just say I learned the hardway to NOT take the entire gummy at once, I'd see how it made me feel n if I wanted more then I'd take more bit i found too much gave me a bit of anxiety at times ) look for me personally it's been a process. Bit I had a really bad H/FENT habit that lasted about 10-11 yrs so I respect any1 that's willing to do complete abstinence but I personally just can't right now n ive tried. Cuz I have way too much on my plate right now I lost BOTH my brother and THE LOVEEEE of my life, my bf of 10 fkn years ( basically my husband you know) to this shit. So my situation is a bit Different I'm dealing w a lot of grief, guilt and PTSD (I watched both of them die, I was the person that was w them..so that makes complete Sobrietyfor me HARD AF... NOT gona lie but anyways THATS A Whole nother story) so what in trying to say is that the way you choose to do it I really think is an individual thing, how long and How Much you were using...etc bit hey for me EVEN IF I'm not practicing 100 % abstinence . The fact alone that I kicked dope is a huge deal for me every fkn day ! It took a LONG time for ne to get this though. It's kn hard BUT it does get easier.
But yes tapers do work if done properly but arm yourself w the right tools n really want it! And I pretty much cut all the people out of my life that r still in the game unfortunately. Just my 2 cents guy. Best of luck to all . Love and light✌️🙏

So you manage to get from 8mg to 0 in just a week? That's amazing. I am tapering 25% off every 4-5 days. How long your withdrawal symptoms lasted?

so called bupe honeymoon is when your wife and your life heroin cheats on you so for a moment or two you get feeling you could re-marry but very soon you realize your second wife will be even worse than first

So you manage to get from 8mg to 0 in just a week? That's amazing. I am tapering 25% off every 4-5 days. How long your withdrawal symptoms lasted?
I never took the 8 mil strip at a time . I'd cut it into pieces and take as needed. I'd start w like 2 mil n then if I still felt like shit took 2 more in about an hr. And the reason I'd only do it for a wk is bcuz I REFUSED to get stuck on Subs. The withdrawals l mean.. honestly it took me like almost a month to get my energy back. And horrible night sweats but dude it WILL fucking pass. I was just done being sick. I've also kicked fent cold turkey before and now THAT was a horror story that's why I said arm yourself w tools, subs gabapentin, xanax (you'll need a benzo cuz you won't sleep but be careful not to get stuck on those too) n look I'm not a doctor and I'm not suggesting that any1 do anything but I'm just sharing my experience and what worked for me.

I never took the 8 mil strip at a time . I'd cut it into pieces and take as needed. I'd start w like 2 mil n then if I still felt like shit took 2 more in about an hr. And the reason I'd only do it for a wk is bcuz I REFUSED to get stuck on Subs. The withdrawals l mean.. honestly it took me like almost a month to get my energy back. And horrible night sweats but dude it WILL fucking pass. I was just done being sick. I've also kicked fent cold turkey before and now THAT was a horror story that's why I said arm yourself w tools, subs gabapentin, xanax (you'll need a benzo cuz you won't sleep but be careful not to get stuck on those too) n look I'm not a doctor and I'm not suggesting that any1 do anything but I'm just sharing my experience and what worked for me.
Thanks for the advice my friend. I was also taking Subs in divided doses. 4x2, 2x4, 3x2......for less than a year. Before that I was on prescription painkillers and Suboxone was supposed to work as a detox drug but also as a painkiller due to my chronic headache. Does this fact play any role in withdrawal effects?
ps. I am already taking 3mg bromazepam on a regular basis + 20mg zolpidem before sleep. Is it safe to increase the dose during withdrawal period?

Last edited:
For me it was about a year. The first month I would get a slight buzz then it just made me feel not sick.

I have been on it for 3 years now and I think its having the opposite effect on me now and I'm trying to come off it but struggling.

I take my dose in the AM and are withdrawing by 2pm, it sucks

I've now been on Bupe for 6 days, did 12 Mg the first day and 8 Mg since. Hoping tomorrow not to take any -- since it's only been 6 days hopefully that won't cause withdrawal.

I will say the last few days I've gotten a tremendous buzz each time I've taken 8 MG. I've taken Bupe twice before and have never gotten a buzz I am this time around. Kind of a pleasant surprise.
If you were addicted to oxys going into it, you've just switched one opiate for another. You will be facing withdrawal, I'm sorry to say.

For me it was about a year. The first month I would get a slight buzz then it just made me feel not sick.

I have been on it for 3 years now and I think its having the opposite effect on me now and I'm trying to come off it but struggling.

I take my dose in the AM and are withdrawing by 2pm, it sucks
It sounds like you need to re-examine how you’re getting off. It doesn’t have to be fast. Start at a dose that keeps you comfortable all day and then drop like 10% every week or every other week until you’re down to almost nothing and then jump. Much easier to do with bupe than anything else I’ve found. I’m currently doing this to get my tolerance down to a level where I can switch to subs from my crazy fent habit. I can do pretty well when I’m on them, just have to keep up with my mental health

Honeymoon period can be applied to almost any drug... Except cocaine. After a week you hit it, it's like the 1st time.

MDMA and ketamine do not hit me anymore like in the old days... I used to love both drugs, my preferred, but even after years of hiatus, when I use it's completely underwhelming.... with MDMA I only feel the bad side effects: jaw clenching, eyes rolling, etc.. I only feel like I am doped with something, but there is zero euphoria, zero love, zero happiness. I feel the come up, but it never really gets me to the loved up blissful state I would stay for hours, back in the day.. Ketamine too, I was like 5 years at least I think since the last time I Did it and dropped, at that time I Was also experiencing a dead end. All my ketamine trips were always singular and unique, until one day I reached a dead end where my visions would always show me the last tip I had, like watching the same movie again and again. It was when I quit ketamine. And a couple of months ago I discovered a contact which provided me with 3 50ml vials of the same stuff I used to love, the best brand and quality here in Brazil which is called "Cetamin". There are other brands but they were all shit. There was this brand "Ketalex" which came in 2nd. It was acceptable, a bit different than Cetamin, I found interesting that it provided a similar trip, but the beings appearing in my vision were different when comparing with Cetamin. Anyways, I just wanted to say that when I got those 3 vials a couple of months ago I decided to do a "revival" of the "old times" , and even after 5 years or so of being clean of Ketamine, I swear I would still see the fucking same movie in my mind, the same vision. That really told ne I should not be doing it. Like, " mate you already explored psychonauticaly everything that is available to you, move on..."

I think I developed a permanent tolerance to MDMA and Ketamine. I still have one last test to make regarding the MDMA. The 1st time I took MDMA I was 23, living in london in 2003 - 2004. It was there that I discovered the clubbing/rave culture and I immediately fell in love with it, obviously because being someone who loved drug induced states since early life. The 1st couple of times I tried MDMA I really didn't feel much, maybe because I did not get pure MDMA, but what I enjoyed the most in the clubbing culture there in London is that you can go out on your own and meet a lot of amazing people in the clubs/dancefloor and have an amazing night like you were BFFs forever. When I returned to Brazil, I started learning and practicing DJing, and from 2005 - 2009 I worked as a DJ, played in lots of raves, clubs, it was something new here at that time. The problem is that it became very popular, and all of a sudden the people that would hire me to play at the parties would give preference to some noobs that didn't even know how to mix or choose tracks because they would play for free. I got very disgusted and infuriated because I knew the SOBs organizing the parties were not caring about quality of sound, just make more money, because the noobs would always accept playing for tickets of booze and water, perhaps some food. And of course the person who was organizing the party - granted and I understand - Would play at the best times of the party, when it was full, to promote themselves, even if their performance sucked balls, not even talking about track selection but skills to mix. I was one of the first DJs here in my state on psytrance parties, but you see, I did not have any money at that time to produce my own parties. I was not able to bring much money with me when I left London, I went back to Brazil because my visa expired and I did not want to keep living in constant fear of being deported and losing all my money I made there. This is something that created a scar on me... I had some friends with european passport that could stay there working at any job they wanted, without any visa concerns.... And there was I cursing the accident of birth, with my shitty brazilian passport which gives you only turist pass for a couple of months. Man I always hated that, so unfair... You have to swallow this injustice because of others SOB who abused the freedoms they had years ago, then they fucked up the opportunities of futures generations by behaving like trash scammer or whatever nasty description you want to think of... It's that saying " that's why we can't have nice things"... because of the mofos who caused this.

Anyways I am digressing a lot. Sorry. I just feel like the world is ours, you should not be forbidden to live here or there because the place you were born. I should be able to travel and live wherever the fuck I want, not because some law and old fuck who I never met before came up with.

Ahh the honeymoon period, bupe was the first opiate I ever got high on . I went to a doctor having no addiction just to sell them , ended up taking one and fell in love . Never sold just took and then decided I wasn't going to pay for the next script and found out really fast what dope sick was lol went from those back to oxys everal times , I remember snorting oxys and taking subs the very next day

For about the first 3 or 4 years, I felt AMAZING from the subs. They would almost give me a speed-like effect where I would become extremely talkative, loud, overbearing and pushy. When paired with a nice Salted Caramel Machiato with 2 shots of espresso, I would be ZOOMING and euphoric. Around the 8 year mark, their effect became negligable and the only way I can tell I haven't taken them is the evil hot flashes of violent desires which come as waves out of nowhere (sometimes I forget for anywhere between 24 and 72 hours.) I'll be like "why do I feel like kicking baby's in the head?! oh, my subs, oops..."

I assume most of you talking about honeymoon periods with bupe lasting for years haven’t been on a honeymoon with anyone else before.

I’m just sitting here with 6 films of 2mg wondering if ima puke or not. Probably wouldn’t notice it on adderall xr.