• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random What do you call your elders, or other family members?

I'm sorry but why should someone use Mr or mrs? Why is it a must? I found this on internet. Nothing there says to call someone by a certain name.

And to add, it was not a playful slap. It was a bitch slap to my back. Nothing to my face. Just 1 big slap. I'm not saying it was incredibly painful. Yeah I mean it stung, oh well. I've had worse lol. But I just dont understand why they made it a bigdeal. .
Yeh see, that woulda pissed me off.

And I think it's obvious that values are different, family to family, country to country but I'd be pissed off the first time they did it and they would have known it, the second time I'd have just told them to fuck off n stop slapping me and if they wanted me to show them respect by calling them Mr n mrs I'd try n break the habit of using their name as I do with EVERY OTHER PERSON I KNOW, in return for them showing me some respect by not slapping me and just reminding me that they'd like to be called Mr n Mrs n tbh I'd probably chuck in a few ms, miss, masters etc afterwards just for the shits n giggles, we're all people n tbh this whole thing seems pretentious as fuck to me.

Apart from when working in a formal environment I don't think I've ever called anyone Mr or Mrs n as far as I know no one is pissed off about it, I don't really get how you can just assume that someone would?

That's why I said don't be a wussy or you will get no pussy. It probably was a playful hit, not harmful. People need to learn to respect their significant others parents. I can't believe how many people don't understand that simple concept in this thread.
Hey mate, I cant believe how you dont understand that EVERYONE is different. That concept has been pointed out numerous times.

Or do you just like to be a troll?

I dont mind if your a troll, I just like to know what Im dealing with.

used to sy sir.

hey coast loooool.

it's good to hear you.

you are a good friend to have, honest. ◇

miss mesomcoast ! ☺

my mother: mother or madre
my father: father or pops
my brothers: first name or bro. the youngest sometimes little bro

i used to call my uncles and aunts "uncle first name" or "aunt first name," but that feels weird now so i just go with first names
cousins: first name
my remaining grandparent: grandma
second cousins: don't touch my pasta or don't smile at the camera

edit: i didn’t fully read this thread before responding. i don’t have in-laws. most of my friends’ parents have made specific requests to be called by their first name at this point in life. but i’m in my 30s. they want to feel human. i totally get why it’s no longer appropriate to address them as mr or mrs even though they’re the same people i addressed with those terms growing up. if they go out with us, it’s alienating to not call them by their first names. they are now part of the group. or we are now part of the group. either way, we’re all adults and they no longer like that line of division.

i’d never call my mother or father by their first name. it’s not about respect or authority. it’s a special bond that doesn’t go away with age. no matter how old i get, i’m their child and they’re my parents.

again i don’t have any in-laws. if i did and they requested to be addressed as mother and father, i’d laugh out loud and say no. if they requested to be addressed as mr and mrs, i’d laugh internally and say ok.

Last edited:
I call my mom "mom" and I called my dad "dad" when he was alive. I have encountered people who call their parents by their first names. That would be too weird for me but if that's how they roll, more power to them. My ex-wife's mom and I were close and she wanted me to call her by her first name, same with her dad. My girlfriend's dad was also by his first name, but he's a head case and totally unable to admit to her or himself that he made her childhood horrible with his abuse so she cut him out of her life, so I haven't seen him in quite some time and not sure if I ever will again, he's pretty hard to respect in any case. Literally all my friends' parents think it's weird if I call them "Mr and Mrs XXX" now that we're all adults, even the ones I knew as a little kid, so even though it was weird for me, I call them their first names now. Honestly I would feel the same way, it's weird for 30-something year olds to refer to someone as "Mr or Mrs XXX" or "sir" or "ma'am". I hate it when people call me "sir", even when it's cashiers or wait staff or something. I would do it if someone really wanted me to, but the only people I refer to as "sir" by default at this point in my life are cops. I don't get it, you don't need to defer to me, we're all humans, I'd prefer to be called by my name or something like "man" or "dude" or something, over "sir" or "Mr XXX". I find it kind of weird when people insist on some sort of honorific just because they're older or something, when it's between adults. I find it usually says something about their egos if they make a deal about that.

OP is talking about what he should call his girlfriend's parents. Tired of sounding like a broken record, but when he is dealing with them, it should only be Mr. and Mrs. until they give him permission to use first names. Obviously they find it inappropriate for him to call them by their first name. Sheesh, didn't know it would be so difficult to understand.

Where I live its not like that at all, with the exception of very very old people. I usually call people by their first name unless I dont know it or they are like 70+. I always thought that kind of behavior was just the remnants of a bygone age.

That's why I said don't be a wussy or you will get no pussy. It probably was a playful hit, not harmful. People need to learn to respect their significant others parents. I can't believe how many people don't understand that simple concept in this thread.
Seriously whats your problem? Physical violence is totally disrespectful, especially when it seems like OP is just the victim of little culture shock.

The OP also thinks that rock music is inspired by Satan and that Carlos Santana is an agent of aforementioned fallen angel. So grains of salt, etc.

I was at a family gathering earlier with my gf and her family. They were at our house hanging out. On two separate times I called her parents by their first names. I was slapped both times and told to call them either mom or dad or Mr or mrs. I was told I'm disrespectful and rude and was heavily lectured.

I didnt mean to be disrespectful. But first I only call two people mon and dad. And that is it. Not even step parents get that title. I'm sorry. But why is it disrespectful to call someone by their name? I dont like when people refer to me as mr. I like people calling me by my name. Just curious on the answers, and replies. I cant remember the last time I used Mr or mrs. Actually I do. The last time I referred to a lady as Mrs she yelled at me and said I was rude. Lol. I dont understand this at all.

What ever happened to everyone being so cool and nice and just going with the flow? It seems like everyone gets mad about everything now a days

They SLAPPED you? Like open palm bitch-slap?
It's NOT disrespectful. Are they fucking royalty or something? 1800-century aristrocrat? What did you gf do?

I don't know where you live, maybe it's a cultural thing. But man, and I don't mean to be a dick, stand up for yourself.
Nobody should lay hands on you. And definitely not for that reason. Fuck those old relics.

Messed up. I'd slap the father right back. In the name of equality, I'd slap the mom aswell.

And even if parents of a significant other introduce themselves by first name, they are just being polite. They should still be Mr. and Mrs.

I can't even imagine someone calling my mom or dad by their first name. I'd get rid of him, especially if he does it again after being spoken too. That just shows the person has no sense, no understanding of respect and it's embarrassing.
You don't seem to have a firm grasp on what respect is.