• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What do they do with us when an addict is hospitalized?

a hellish experience. I am on bupe and had to go under the knife and they did not know what it was and refused to understand the concept of a partial agonist. Or maybe I explained poorly but I don't think so. ^ right they are drug dealers and they get real salty and jealous (even of other doctor scripts sometimes). So know that there will be no mercy and keep yourself healthy.

You know you CAN demand to see the registrar (most senior member of medical staff)? I was on a lot of oxycodone and they refused to adjust analgesia - actually STOPPED the pills and said the morphine would work. It's on my records that morphine doesn't work for me AT ALL.

So it took him, ohhh, 30 seconds to swap me to IV oxycodone - 20mg every 4 hours.

It's all about knowing that you can refuse but that you refuse to self-discharge... which puts the hospital in a difficult position.

Thank you for the useful info....I usually just AMA it. Is this US law you are referring to? At the time I was in no position to do anything but bleed and hope to wake back up.

I refer to the UK but IF you are having elective surgery, simply writing first and getting confirmation on what they intend to do will likely suffice. Write to the surgeon who can pass it on to the anesthetist. ANY and ALL communication between you and the hospital goes on record.

As I say - the registrar (who was excellent) didn't argue, he simply asked 'so is 20mg of oxycodone every 4 hours enough?'. I confirmed, he rewrote my notes and went home. The buck stops with the registrar and as long as you are reasonable, they will be reasonable.

As I have mentioned - people NOT seeking help because of opioid-dependence is seen in the UK as a barrier to treatment. John would have died within hours so in that case, the registrar just said 'ask for as much methadone as you need' and he didn't blink when 120mg/day was asked for.

But then John had in infection due to going into the femoral and collapsed veins, to the doctor KNEW he was an active heroin user. I THINK they actually gave him 40mg every 8 hours but since he was in ICU, the naloxone was their, respiratory stimulants were there and most importantly, his breathing was monitored.

That was a few years back and now J just smokes a bit of weed and drinks a bit of rum - but he LOOKS about x1000 better.

a hellish experience. I am on bupe and had to go under the knife and they did not know what it was and refused to understand the concept of a partial agonist. Or maybe I explained poorly but I don't think so. ^ right they are drug dealers and they get real salty and jealous (even of other doctor scripts sometimes). So know that there will be no mercy and keep yourself healthy.
This is my fear.
Imagine having to get surgery by a bunch of people who don't even know what a partial opioid agonist is. And these people went to school & get paid big bucks.

It was quite disturbing. I also lived in a deep fear of surger and despite the lack of knowledge they gave me what they said was the legal amount of fent. (probably a lie, docs bluff hard around here) I had already disclosed to him that I was on suboxone, he just kinda scoffed after a third fet shot and said that suboxone stuff must be strong. But they hit me with the micheal jackson special and I was definitely completely under. Obviously no painpills prescribed and yea i was in a deal of pain for a while....but in the end we must live with our choices. i was under the whole time, woke up on a different floor.

in summation, it isn't or shouldn't be enough of a concern to not get a surgery if you were going to or need to. It sucks plenty enough to give yourself a good reminder to not put your health in the hospital system. you will not get anything you are not prescribed or a single mg more than your doctor has written on your bottles, however the hospital did give me my medication out of the hospital not my personal bottle. Which was nice; sending someone to scramble all your meds and bring them to you would be quite difficult; situation/policies/etc depending of course.

It isn't as bad as you think it would be for real. I know i seem to be vasolating a bit but the fact of the matter is this largely will come down to the nature of the surgery the surgeon and doctors discretion which is of course subjective. so prepare for the worst but it probably wouldn't be as bad as you think. i was only there for 24-48 hours, any longer things would have started to get real tricky.....for me. If you have no habits you aren't scripted you SHOULD be fine. personally i smoke pot like a ton and they aint letting you have that so I was already ancy. I would not say marijuana has withdrawals but life is certainly boring and frustrating (for me) without it so getting out of there stat as they say was a priority. They also asked me how many klonopins it would take to sleep, I said 7 as I am a diagnosed insomnia, panic attacks, and not sure what the diagnosis is but fear of being in large groups of people. Do not answer as i did. i get my chart back and it says patient takes 7 mg clonazepam nightly. Not true at all, it was more a jest answer considering all the things going on in that particular situation. And you aren't gunna get what you say you need, you will get what you are prescribed or somehow retained due to your own will and cleverness.

PROPOFOL -or, as it's known to the keen wit's amongst the anesthetists, 'milk of amnesia' because it's a suspension that looks like milk. Oh how they laughed.

I've received no end of fentanyl (without any tolerance) and it did nothing. Like the above poster, the anesthetist loads a bigger dose and tries again. Still nothing - he throws Sufenta (sulfentanil) at me and STILL nothing.

But don't forget- inhalational anesthetics are NOT analgesics. I came round in agony and some idiot tried to inject M. So I literally shout 'NO - look at my chart' and the pissed off looking nurse practitioner has to call down for IV oxycodone. I think they still short changed me.... as the agony didn't end until my wife (who is SMART) arrives, shouts at staff and then gives me a bottle of Gatorade with methadone in it. Not LOADS - 40-50mg.

But the pain wasn't the screaming kind - it was the 'kill me' kind...

And people HAVE killed themselves after surgery when analgesia failed. Even in the UK we have had people have smuggle in .22s with which they went through the mouth into the brain (.22 will often bounce of skull).

.22 the hitmans weapon of choice, enough velocity to enter the skull but not penetrate the other side, bullet bounces around and makes scrambled eggs out your brain like an oldschool heroin commercial lol. Yea I wont lie I know a couple people actually a good # that carry there own 'fet bombs' for those 'just in case' scenarios.

I was lucky the pain was not at the level that yours was and we are both lucky to have smart women watching our backs. God bless her if she didnt make the nurses rounds i am quite sure i would have been there another couple days. and i wont incriminate her for being good to me. being US based is scary that way...

40-50 mg of done with NO tolerance is a bit hefty but you seem like the type of person I dont need to talk to about knowing there tolerance.........I wasn't even in screaming pain coming out of the surgery, going in different story but; yes milk of amnesia.

I bet you were shortchanged too. I hate to admit it but I know of 3 nurses that routinely swap out saline solutions for morphine leaving ALOT of ppl around here saying 'morphine does nothing to me' .... nah you got robbed. Im sure they converted it on the upside and gave you the lowside. the difference probably went into somebodies body. Or perhaps things are less corrupt over there. (kind of doubt it but who knows)

Yeah - I saw that film as well. So if a .22 will go through a skull, why did Mossad use bod shots ((6 to 12 of them) in cases where they feel someone needs to go?

Thankfully (I guess) even) UK patients know better.

I was shortchanged but lucky my wife is VERY smart so the Gatorade she brought had methadone in it... and she left me a 6 pack. Don't forget, I wasn't an opioid abuser then and I'm not now. If it is just for pain, all you seek is enough for relief so I stuck at 80mg OxyCodone BID. I don't want more....

Although if I miss a pill, I can't walk 6 hours later. So I'm kind of stuck on it.

Well I think…the thing…is…opiate addicts are far more likely to do something stupid to get their fix than an alcoholic…like over time humanity has realized certain drug addictions cause people to act really erratically
Like buying Opium Pods for "ornamental purposes" or eating leaves that contain Mitragine and its 7-OH form. And have a productive carefree live. No personal experience with Pods, but I defenitely think pure Codeine and DiHydroCodeine should be OTC.

I rather be on a Opiate then following the destructive path of Alcohol addiction. As for medicating someone with an (known) habit, be it Heroin or Booze. Clearly such a person has a more then usual tendency to overdo drugs. But I see no problem with killing pain in medical context (pain actually has an negative impact on healing I thought) .

And its not like your not being watched and your doses are not carefully regulated.

Last edited:
its strange why no one hasn't asked it in the whole internet yet.but i've been thinking about it,i am an oxycodone user 5 times 15mg per day,if i get hospitalized for something important for example a surgery,what should i do about my addiction?
do they give me my oxycodone?i don't think so.
i think they give me methadone,and i have my problems with methadone.my heart is sensitive and methadone make me feel some heart pain.
i am sure there are people here who have experienced such situation.i would be glad to hear your answers.
Afaik over here your current medication, they even ask you to list all your current medication you are on, is known.
Oxycodone in your case. In one scenario iI I imagine, is continued as is, with additional dosage's when needed (could even be another Opiate). I am just guessing your body is habituated to these meds and will obviously need more. I might hope hospitals know that to.

Or switch you on a different ( single) Opiate during your stay at the hospital. Like an shot of Morphine a few times a day. It is though imprortant that the medical unit knows you have an tolerance. On the other side human's quite easy label someone as an addict and rather have you suffer.

Last edited:
I had assumed it referred to non-prescribed opioids as well. They will try to leave your medication unchanged. Switching opioids is seen as less desirable as while their is unlikely to be 100% cross-tolerance, some opioids also have other actions that produce analgesia (oxycodone increases both dopamine and serotonin levels). Methadone (which is used for pain) has NMDA activity as does levorphanol. So it would be a total guess if a substitution were made.
IF your surgery is likely to produce severe pain, morphine is often added on as it's still the 'gold standard' of opioids.

Yeah - I saw that film as well. So if a .22 will go through a skull, why did Mossad use bod shots ((6 to 12 of them) in cases where they feel someone needs to go?

Thankfully (I guess) even) UK patients know better.

I was shortchanged but lucky my wife is VERY smart so the Gatorade she brought had methadone in it... and she left me a 6 pack. Don't forget, I wasn't an opioid abuser then and I'm not now. If it is just for pain, all you seek is enough for relief so I stuck at 80mg OxyCodone BID. I don't want more....

Although if I miss a pill, I can't walk 6 hours later. So I'm kind of stuck on it.
what movie was that from? I actually learned it from someone who probably saw that movie looked into it and found it to be largely true (through research not experience, hopefully obviously)... I would say hitman would be the wrong term and mafia-esque hits would be more correct. Because Mossad are correct me if im wrong; trained soldiers. In such cases 'a pistol is only good to fight your way to a rifle' would be a more applicable term and most soldiers are trained to shoot center mass...If this is a firing squad type of deal they are usually instructed to avoid headshots for w/e religous, cultural and funeral traditions observed out of respect....or shoot for the head out of disrespect.

I more brought up that the methadone dose seemed a little heavy BECAUSE you mentioned that you are not tolerant to opi's and would hate for johnny just turned 17 to read 40-50 mg methadone is ok for the opiate naive and dive right in. I did mention that I didn't think you need be warned and seem plenty aware. But I did not catch the six pack of gatorade part.

Sorry about the pain and hope you aren't stuck on the oxy for too long.

I had assumed it referred to non-prescribed opioids as well. They will try to leave your medication unchanged. Switching opioids is seen as less desirable as while their is unlikely to be 100% cross-tolerance, some opioids also have other actions that produce analgesia (oxycodone increases both dopamine and serotonin levels). Methadone (which is used for pain) has NMDA activity as does levorphanol. So it would be a total guess if a substitution were made.
IF your surgery is likely to produce severe pain, morphine is often added on as it's still the 'gold standard' of opioids.
I agree, incomplete cross tolerance definitely exists and it becomes more obvious the higher the dose IME. I guess I dont know about the UK but in the US they have no problem making "conversions" based on nothing but a guesstimate off the top of there heads. Granted im in a particularly remote / hillbilly-ish area. But I have a family member that likes norco tens better than morphine 60s. (she is scripted both and has stage 4 cancer) and I would presume this to be due to morphines low oral bioavailability combined that they are time released. She also greatly prefers oxycodone but where I live it is just a NO GO. I dont know anyone that is precribed oxy currently now that i think about it....although i dont really run in those circles these days.

I more brought up that the methadone dose seemed a little heavy BECAUSE you mentioned that you are not tolerant to opi's and would hate for johnny just turned 17 to read 40-50 mg methadone is ok for the opiate naive and dive right in.
I think 50mg can be deadly for a naive user! I did 30mg methadone without tolerance and for me it was just right but I have a high natural tolerance & they say LD50 can be as low as 30mg! In substitution I was started with 20mg even though I had tolerance.

I agree, incomplete cross tolerance definitely exists and it becomes more obvious the higher the dose IME. I guess I dont know about the UK but in the US they have no problem making "conversions" based on nothing but a guesstimate off the top of there heads. Granted im in a particularly remote / hillbilly-ish area. But I have a family member that likes norco tens better than morphine 60s. (she is scripted both and has stage 4 cancer) and I would presume this to be due to morphines low oral bioavailability combined that they are time released. She also greatly prefers oxycodone but where I live it is just a NO GO. I dont know anyone that is precribed oxy currently now that i think about it....although i dont really run in those circles these days.

An reports from the US are why the UK does NOT do so, my friend. It's amazing that per capita the US prescribes x10 more opioids than the UK, but when they DO, they are expected to know what they are doing. In the UK OxyContin (well, Longtec but you would never have heard of the brand) is the preferred opioid for chronic pain. Studies showed it was better tolerated and more effective.

BUT the UK hasn't seen the massive amounts of oxycodone abuse the US has. But then 10mg is enough for most people so even if crushed and snorted, it won't get you high. I'm kind of an extreme case i.e. multiple surgeries, displaced hip replacement, surgical steel pins (broken) and so on. Also my age. If you are 25, forget it. If you are in your 50s and not expected to reach pension age, it's not a problem. I should add that in extreme cases >400mg is theoretically available to doctors. None would ever do so.

But then 10mg is enough for most people so even if crushed and snorted, it won't get you high
eh, maybe if you have tolerance, but when I was still naive that was pretty much enough and I recently snorted 5 mg which produced minor but still remarkable high.

I like it for a national slogan (America, showing other countries what not to do!). ^pissed, yea first two years of my habit 3 7.5 hydros id be outside behind the shed. 2 oxy fives were like high times for celebration. I don't think 15 mg is out of line if your lookin to catch a proper high, but you best not be mixing.

its strange why no one hasn't asked it in the whole internet yet.but i've been thinking about it,i am an oxycodone user 5 times 15mg per day,if i get hospitalized for something important for example a surgery,what should i do about my addiction?
do they give me my oxycodone?i don't think so.
i think they give me methadone,and i have my problems with methadone.my heart is sensitive and methadone make me feel some heart pain.
i am sure there are people here who have experienced such situation.i would be glad to hear your answers.
You won't get shit. Will be in severe unmedicated pain and withdrawl and will be treated like a child molester.

I have a legit prescription and disease and get the same treatment in the ER and I'm a really clean cut non addict seeming guy.

If you get admitted past the ER then they usually treat you like a human being and will medicate you with bupe (I've seen this happen to an addict friend admitted for and IV infection that ended up killing him).....they were giving him bupe...but he had all his own crack and oxy with him at the hospital.

In this day and age if you go to the hospital you're best off bringing your own large supply of opioids if you have to be stuck in there.

I get the impression the guy is prescribed the medication. If not, it depends where you are.