• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What Did You Do For Your Education/Career Today?

I am off work now til after the new year but I did write reference letters for two of my students who are in trouble with the law.

Aced my oral examination over Situs on Friday, and now taking a few days off after having studied most every day since mid Oct. between 3-5 hours a day. A much needed vacation!!

^ Congratulations :) Go have your fun (and try and retain most of the knowledge ;))!

I finished a book on stocks... got my trading money. Ready to take everyones money 2010.

EDIT: other than that bought some lsat books... (ugh...this is gonna be ridiculous)

Today a paper that I had submitted to a journal for publication was rejected. My supervisor was surprised by the rejection but I am just dejected and having a classic PhD student ego crisis.

So, for my career I am going to my research centre's christmas party, and then afterward I am going to go and get properly drunk and eat some crazy weed cookies I made on the weekend. Then next year I am going to write a paper which is much more pedestrian, less obscure, and takes no risks at all so that reviewers will have nothing to complain about.

Rejection's just part of the game. If you got any constructive feedback, use it, otherwise, don't worry about it.

As your list of publications grows, it'll get easier. You're at the hardest point right now, in some ways, so you should expect a fair number of rejections.

Finally decided on a major after 3 years of farting around at my Community College. Feels good.

Also I am starting to shamelessly promote myself as the best damn guitar teacher in the world around my town for some quick cash.

Last edited:
satiricon said:
Today a paper that I had submitted to a journal for publication was rejected. My supervisor was surprised by the rejection but I am just dejected and having a classic PhD student ego crisis.

Which journal? Did you get a suggested revise and resubmit? Fuck 'em. I'm very tired of social theory being excised from our work in favor of positivist assumption.

If you're desperate to get the article out there, I'd submit it in its current form to Berkeley Journal of Sociology. It's not at all prestigious these days, but it's grad-student edited, has an accompanying conference, and the student editors are usually way into theory.

Yeah I know rejections are part of the game, and the reviewer comments weren't stupid. But one of them at least didn't understand the aim of the argument. I'm not saying that's their fault - it's mine for not making it clear enough. But as a PhD student it's easy to get discouraged, particularly when your supervisor says the article is fine and should get in. Next year I'm going to write something a lot more straightforward which takes no risks and has less theory. I'll save the more creative stuff for later when I know how to play the game better, or I might address the reviewer remarks and then send the article to a different, less conservative journal. At this stage I have one publication to my name and I want at least two more by the time I come out of the PhD so I can be competitive in the job/postdoc market.

And I'm only submitting to top journals. A publication in a soft option is worth less than one in a top journal even if it takes longer to get in.

oh yeah. BJS's a last resort. Would economy and society or social theory work?
I haven't shit published ('cept a coauthorship on a cognitive sci paper, lawl). I'm thinking, though, that i wanna teach, primarily, so skating by on my degree's prestige should be enough.

e-balla

Last edited:
oh...and asr articles tend to be booooring. ajs tolerates more theory.

Economy and Society is a great journal but that's not what my work is like. I'm not primarily a theorist. I'm going for sub field specific journals and my work is theory heavy but ultimately empirical.

Regarding publication, here in Australia you really need to have publications by the time you've finished your PhD if you want to be in the running for any kind of decent academic job, otherwise you'll be in the academic secondary labour market doing casual lecturing from semester to semester. My understanding was that America is more competitive but am I wrong?

I've been reading "Pharmacology for chemists" because my university doesn't have anything related to the pharmacology. I'm interested in drug development and research, and I want to continue on to grad school to purse the dream.

Watched football, drank 2 beers. Enjoying life is good for my studies I think. :)

I received a letter in the mail today from a university at which I applied to teach. But my hopes were crushed when I realized that it was only junk mail advertising its degrees. :X

Otherwise, I read a bit from an econometrics textbook, and read the newspaper.