• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Social what computer do you have?

Currently saving money for 650w power supply as my 500w aint gonna be enough in a year + an 8 core ryzen 7 5700x. In about a year when I turn 30 I ll get rx 6750 xt 12gb and gonna buy 1440p monitor after that :)

Sounds like a good build but if you're going to do it piecemeal than I would say get the CPU first, then the 1440 display and then the GPU.

I say that because 6600 is already decent for 1080 and there's no point going to a 6750 if you're going to be stuck with a 1080 display for months after.

If you get the 1440 display first, then you will be able to enjoy that every day not just for gaming but also multimedia and whatever else that looks better in 1440 but doesn't demand much GPU power.

Also, there's no cheat to make an 1080 display look like a 1440 display, but you can use RSR to game at 1440 with a 6600 at close to the FPS you would get at 1080.

Your GPU choice might change in a year anyway as prices will adjust now that 6750 GRE variants have been released and soon 7600 XT will be released to fill the void between 7600 and 7700.

I think my motherboard (bought earlier this year) bricked itself after I plugged in my eight case fans and a 4tb HDD while the PC was running (dumb I know). I bought a 49" Samsung Ultrawide during black friday and my laptop STRUGGLES to run anything that isn't an indie game at this resolution lol. These thin gaming laptops cannot be properly cooled. I tried running multiple different AAA titles and it just causes the system to hang.

So my current specs on my laptop are:
Ryzen 9 5900HS
RTX 3060 mobile
2x8gb 3200mhz
1tb SSD

Sounds like a good build but if you're going to do it piecemeal than I would say get the CPU first, then the 1440 display and then the GPU.

I say that because 6600 is already decent for 1080 and there's no point going to a 6750 if you're going to be stuck with a 1080 display for months after.

If you get the 1440 display first, then you will be able to enjoy that every day not just for gaming but also multimedia and whatever else that looks better in 1440 but doesn't demand much GPU power.

Also, there's no cheat to make an 1080 display look like a 1440 display, but you can use RSR to game at 1440 with a 6600 at close to the FPS you would get at 1080.

Your GPU choice might change in a year anyway as prices will adjust now that 6750 GRE variants have been released and soon 7600 XT will be released to fill the void between 7600 and 7700.
I see. I will propably do a cpu -> 1440p -> 650w + gpu

I see. I will propably do a cpu -> 1440p -> 650w + gpu
Hmm, one could assume that gpu prices drop about a year after they come out so the 7700 xt would be cheaper by summer. It seems like the better buy in the long run by a mile, especially after they cut prices as I have many many months till the gpu update to look how the tides turn on these little things we call gpus. Nvidia can go fuck itself, amd is for gamers. Not a wonder why ps5 is powered by amd, my nikkas.

Hmm, one could assume that gpu prices drop about a year after they come out so the 7700 xt would be cheaper by summer. It seems like the better buy in the long run by a mile, especially after they cut prices as I have many many months till the gpu update to look how the tides turn on these little things we call gpus. Nvidia can go fuck itself, amd is for gamers. Not a wonder why ps5 is powered by amd, my nikkas.
Being a fanboy for either company is not necessary. Gamers need at least 2 companies to keep competition a force in both price and feature development. AMD would get greedy real quick if there was no competition. All companies do. thankfully Intel started making Video cards too. More competition makes better gaming hardware in the long run.

Being a fanboy for either company is not necessary. Gamers need at least 2 companies to keep competition a force in both price and feature development. AMD would get greedy real quick if there was no competition. All companies do. thankfully Intel started making Video cards too. More competition makes better gaming hardware in the long run.
My first gpu was amds hd 7850, after that bought nvidia 780 ti. I was sad for years when AMD made more than subpar gpus and their market share fell and fell which led to more shit and more costly nvidia gpus.

Intel started fairly strong their gpus to be their first official ones. They can only improve from now on. Lets hope Nvidia finds their soul on the way forward my friend :)

My first gpu was amds hd 7850, after that bought nvidia 780 ti. I was sad for years when AMD made more than subpar gpus and their market share fell and fell which led to more shit and more costly nvidia gpus.

Intel started fairly strong their gpus to be their first official ones. They can only improve from now on. Lets hope Nvidia finds their soul on the way forward my friend :)
My first 3D GPU was a Voodoo Card (It could go all the way up to 800x600 !!!) , my first PC video card was was the venerable 8514.
I was using the Voodoo to develop games using the Genesis 3D engine but I switched over to Unreal to help create the first non MOD version of Future vs Fantasy (Future vs Fantasy: Purge). We moved over from Quake Engine to the first iteration of Unreal Engine (pre Unreal Tournament) . That's why I am sticking with Unreal 5 even though I don't need all of it's feature set. I am just real used to Unreal.

Last edited:
Yeah 3Dx Voodoo 1 (It was just 3dfx voodoo then). It was at least $500 US (1995) and still required a 2D card and a pass though cable. Mine was a first production run reference card as there were absolutely zero games available yet. My first demos were programmed using "Glide" and not DirectX API. It was the stone age for 3D graphics.

3Dfx Glide API

I can only hope to live a life as fullfilling as my mentor friend @Cheshire_Kat the boss has lived :)

On the gpu side of things, Im aiming for 7800 xt for the 1440p but 7700 xt will do too. So lets see how dem prices fall + if theres a sale next oktoober

Last edited:
I still remember seeing the Banshee on a store shelf, I think that was the first time I even saw a GPU on a store shelf like that... that was around the time when most home systems came from SIs (IBM, HP, etc) and "clones" were just starting to take off.

My first GPU was an ATI Rage, IIRC... I guess nVidia killed the 3DFX brand when they bought it at bankruptcy but ATI is still going strong under the AMD umbrella

You're getting 3 different GPUs?
Naa bröder Im just happy for the open minded customers as those 2 first are between 300 and 500 dollars costing gpus and last between 500 and 600 dollars costing. + Im expecting a drop of prices simultaneously with the release so thats a big fucking plus too my nikka. When I will upgrade my gpu it will propably be rx 7800 or rx 7800 xt.

Upgrading 16gb ram to 32gb + 650w power supply + 1440p monitor. Should have them by june. Then on august we will buy the gpu as a trio for my 30th birthday :)

Lenovo with no ethernet port and the wifi card sucks ass.

thinkstation or pad? anyway

pci-e 2 wi-fi/ethernet NIC

for reference, newer faster.

1*s804UHx7qg8Jts5DDXCVBQ.png