• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

what causes the sizzle?

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
Just picked up some really good looking buds but they burn like a firecracker or something. They have a sort of sizzle when I spark a bowl. They are pretty stoney still but it is a bit unnerving to see the top of the bowl sizzle as I inhale. Wondering if it is caused by not being properly flushed or some nutrients used? Or could it be something as simple as not being properly cured?

anyone know?

In most cases but not all the sizzling cracking is usually cause of it not being properly flushed. Even stuff that been flushed but not cured all the way will sizzle. But if it burns good and is kinda dry already then its prob the fertilizer they used to grow it. Ive seen ppl use tons n tons of fert just to get massive buds but they never burned or tasted quite right and usualy leave a pretty nasty headache. But hey could be laced too but small small chance of that. You shld take a little tiny nug leave it out to dry for a few hours and see if that helps. But if it aint flushed right aint nothing you could do.

Definitely a moisture thing. When THC heats up enough it can become less viscous and blend with water. I wouldn't worry unless it tastes/feels weird.

All you are wrong..........theres always an exception but I have grown weed for a really long time. The number on enemy to the cannabis cultivator is spider mites. If you really grow and have experience with that.......then spider mites have surely taught you a lesson or two. Indoors if your completely ocd you more than likely wont get any but outdoor its tough to beat......they absoultly love weed. Some strains more than others......the worst IME is trainwreck. Anyways......If i was a betting man I can guarantee your smoking spider mite eggs man.......check a microscope or mag glass, locate the bottom of A LEAF, and check for little eggs that are on the bottom of the leaf. Dont trip though, if youve been smoking weed of the streets that you didnt buy straight from a club who tests their shit or a experience grower and you literally saw the clean plant, youve been smoking em for years.

Ah godamn those mites!

I have become accustomed to smoking top quality organic homegrown. I rarely have to purchase from "street" vendors any more, but when I do it almost always fizzles.

Same here.......i found out a long time ago if you dont grow your own, or physically see someone care for their plants feeding pest control and especially fungus and mold control.......a lot of people think weed is safe for everyone 100 %........that is until some dumbo sells weed that was full of pm and mold to someone with an auto immune disease effecting the lungs and they die...........also people who are schizophrenic 99.9 percent of the time causes an increase in psychosis when smoking herb. If your gonna grow you better know your shit. I for one will never be dishonest about my product. It also helps that all my product is not only completely organic, mostly veganic and grown in complete natural sunlight and planted in the dirt. the only nutirents I use are myccoriazie and compost tea brewed with very limited and specific organic or veganic nutes. Also all my product was either bred by myself or one of the old timers that taught me what I know, and can be trusted by my own vision and observation. I have bred only strains that resist mold and mildew heavily, dont require large amounts of inorganic compound their breeder has used on them for years.........and in turn the clones grow like shit organically. I had to be a dick but I honestly cant believe the 5 people above us think crackly weed is water.........not that its not possible but jsut wow

the sizzle is caused by seeds, most likely, or mabye stems, but most likely 100% seeds.

the sizzle is caused by seeds, most likely, or mabye stems, but most likely 100% seeds.

Seeds pop when they burn, and they also smell funny.

I'm 100% confident Maf' wouldn't've needed to ask if it were seeds he was burning.

My money's on an improper/incomplete flush.

yeah maybe firecracker was the wrong word to use to describe what was happening. It is like a crackle, similar to the sparks of a lighter.

Definitely not seeds and more than likely not spider mites. I don't have a microscope but I know what mite infested buds look like.

It has a little funny taste to it- it smells really good but it doesn't taste as good as I would expect, leaves a little bit of an odd taste. Seems like drying it out a bit helps out but idk if it completely removes the sparkle/crackle. I'm going to try completely drying out a bud and see if it sparkles still. I guess that would be the best test I can think of.

Are there any other ways to tell if a bud has not been properly flushed?

Sounds like improperly flushed weed to me, it could also be an indication that pesticides were used later than they should have been.

I hate smoking weed like that, it is obviously not the way weed is supposed to burn. It is unnerving thinking about all the nasty shit that could be causing it.

also people who are schizophrenic 99.9 percent of the time causes an increase in psychosis when smoking herb.

Source? And don't link me to any of that causation BS. The use of weed by schizophrenics is cause and effect. People who are of unsound mind seek to quiet. A recent study showed that even when teenagers smoke weed, it's not linked to development of any kind of psychosis.

Well considering that cannabis and schitzophrenia are not fully understood from a scientific standpoint 100%......Im gonna err on the cautionary side. I had an uncle who ive smoked with for years that came out to visit recently........he had recently been diagnosed with schizophrenic and my family from Wyoming told me to not let him smoke.....but hes been through chemotherapy an has a load of pain issues......he used weed for those symptoms. However this time, when he came to visit me in the Monterey Area.......once he started smoking he literally lost his mind........he thought there were bombs planted everywhere and I woke up to him digging a hole in my back yard to neutralize them. His oldest son served time in the Navy in monterey 15 years previous so he had history there. Scitzophrenia and Weed dont mesh well because they can cause compounding paranoia leading to psychosis. I never said it caused the disease, only in most cases of what when know so far (which isnt everything) it does not help the disease.

I only hear the sizzle when I apply saliva to the joint to correct bad burns. Otherwise I never hear it.

This might have been said, but nitrogen, phosphorus, and other nutrient crystals will form on the leaf surface if used improperly making it impossible to remove even with a proper flush. I know there's electron microscope images of crystals on the leaf surface. Combustion of those crystals releases nasty fumes and can sparkle visably if large enough.

Edit: Going over everything I will add I know this is 99.99% likely to be the cause of the op issue due to no other obvious issue and a bad taste that im sure bites (stings as if particles in the smoke are irritating the body on contact especially the back of the throat. Water can cause a sizzle too, but it has to be quite noticeably wet buds.

Finally, somebody gets it right! Tacodude, you are correct.
It is highly unlikely to be moisture. Dihydrogen Monoxide does not create such aural entertainment upon heat application. Sure, a moist bud can sizzle but given OP's description, I can comfortably say it's not moisture.
Spider mite eggs: I can happily say you are not hearing spider-mite eggs crackling! I have grown outdoors btw...I have seen these. Sure, you might be smoking some but it's not causing the sizzle (and it isnt anything to worry about either).

It's essentially a poor/non-existent flush of the nutrients that it's been fed with. In particular, the phosphorous is what's likely being burned. Did you never do those experiments in school?

Feed with inorganic ferts and you'll need to flush at least 1 week prior to harvest (there is debate on this, and as a professional gardener I have my opinions, however I am not saying anything with particular indignation - see what works best for you. It will vary). If you don't flush, you are still smoking those nasty chemicals in great quantity depending on how ruthless a grower you are/know.

Feed with organic ferts (Fish, Blood and Bone, Manure, Bone Meal, Bat Guano etc) and you can feed all the way to harvest if you so wish. You will not experience the sizzle :)

Unfortunately if you have already purchased the green that sizzles, there is very little you can do. Perhaps you could indeed do a water-cure, if it really puts you off?
I personally wouldn't be too precious about it if it's a once in a blue-moon kinda thing.
:)

Last edited: