• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What can opiate withdrawal be compared to?

Gawd, day 3 off from poppies -- amen to all the posts here; you'da thunk it deter me..but this is the 5th time this year...fack, starting to hurt too much, perhaps time to hit the meetings again..rls, cold, hot, cold, hot, yawning, watery eyes, runny nose, nausea, sweating, shitting, no energy..getting tired just typing this. Can't wait for the parting gifts, as someone mentioned, anxiety and depression... somebody stick needles in my balls next time I pick up that shit...

^

I feel for you. I've actually never made it past day 3 in the 3 years I've been on pod tea. Every time I go through WD I tell myself it's time to stop, but once I get my fix I hop right back on.

Here's what helps me during WD:

hot baths
masturbation (lasts 1 min, lol)
TV
sleep (I sleep forever in WD)

racerriderj said:
Gawd, day 3 off from poppies -- amen to all the posts here; you'da thunk it deter me..but this is the 5th time this year...fack, starting to hurt too much, perhaps time to hit the meetings again..rls, cold, hot, cold, hot, yawning, watery eyes, runny nose, nausea, sweating, shitting, no energy..getting tired just typing this. Can't wait for the parting gifts, as someone mentioned, anxiety and depression... somebody stick needles in my balls next time I pick up that shit...

im praying for ya bro, i been there, i swear the RLS is the worst part man

I_Stay_Dead said:
Tramadol is another addictive drug with bad withdrawals. Using tramadol you're taking the same risk as using methadone for withdrawal management. I've not taken methadone and understand the withdrawals are very bad, however I have been on tramadol long-term and the withdrawals are were Hell for me!

not true, i only take tramadol 4-5 days, i taper down when im coming of Opana or OC and it works miracles

twominds said:
Feels like a severe bout of the flu. Aches and pains, nausea, cold sweats, boiling up, extreme restlessness, so tired you can't sleep and when you do nightmares and when you wake you feel like you've only slept 15 minutes. It all depends on the sevevity of your habit and you current health at the time.

What he said...Also is it just me or does anyone else experience almost shin splint like pains in their lower legs when withdrawling from ONLY oxycodone?

Opiate withdrawal is bad but the physical aspect doesn't last very long....Usually after 72 hours of abstinence, I'm physically fine.....Mentally, I battle craving by the hour...but I think my opiate use has come to an end...They don't give me enlightenment and dull/weaken my mind and body...

ArtVandalay said:
^

I feel for you. I've actually never made it past day 3 in the 3 years I've been on pod tea. Every time I go through WD I tell myself it's time to stop, but once I get my fix I hop right back on.

Here's what helps me during WD:

hot baths
masturbation (lasts 1 min, lol)
TV
sleep (I sleep forever in WD)

how can you sleep during opiate withdrawal man? sleeping is the LAST thing i can do during w/d. i wish i could sleep but the pain,craving, RLS, etc... makes it IMPOSSIBLE to sleep.

I must be an anomaly. I'm so exhausted during wd-

During the day- I sleep for a couple hours, wake up and feel shitty for a half hour, fall asleep again, repeat. At night- I sleep through most of the night, though I'll usually wake up at 3 and move to the couch cause my back is killing me.

Does anybody else sleep a lot during wd?

ArtVandalay said:
I must be an anomaly. I'm so exhausted during wd-

During the day- I sleep for a couple hours, wake up and feel shitty for a half hour, fall asleep again, repeat. At night- I sleep through most of the night, though I'll usually wake up at 3 and move to the couch cause my back is killing me.

Does anybody else sleep a lot during wd?

You are one lucky mofo, my friend. I too am a pod tea addict, and though I can certainly sleep at the 24 hour mark, by 48 hours I'm starting to squirm around. I'd need a tiny dose of tea or a handful of loperamide to sleep through that second night.

Heh, if I could sleep my way through withdrawals I think I would detox a lot more often.

I definitely feel ya though with the not getting further than 3 days. By the 3rd day, pod tea withdrawal is really just getting started. I forced myself to withdrawal cold turkey when I first started using pod tea. I only used for about 15 days, but I really binged. I didn't order anymore and told myself I'd just get through it and pay the piper so to speak.

By day 3 I was really regretting my decision. I don't think I was really feeling much better until the 6th or 7th day. Luckily, then my pods came that I ordered in desperation during the peak of the withdrawal. I haven't managed a full withdrawal episode since, and it's been about 2 - 3 months now:p

Last edited:
I'm backwards too, but I'm from the south so go figure. During withdrawal, I am brutally tired. I work a physically demanding job-6 days a week, and 60-80 hours total. If I am using, I stay up late, because I don't want to waste a buzz. Then, I withdrawal and it's hard for me to want to get up. I always do, but manytimes crash as soon as I get home from work. This will happen for two to four days. Sleep is my friend during withdrawal.

yep i think that everyone is doing a great job with this one;)
I was going to same most of the exact same but everyone here @ bluelight has done great here;)

Peace,
KappY

Some people attempt to sleep their way through withdrawal by taking sedatives. Most people (including myself) normally can't afford such a luxury to be able to escape consciousness for 96 hours being a working professional and all.. Anyway, sleep meds like strong benzos, barbs, or even OTC meds can help you a lot. Some sleep is better than none. Medicated sleep isn't as good as "pure" sleep, but STILL better than no sleep.

I can't imagine being at work during wd. Has anybody gone through this?

Luckily, I've only been in wd twice this year, so I've been able to call in sick. I can't afford to be in wd (working multiple jobs, 60 hour weeks), which is another reason I keep on keeping on with my addiction.

Day 4 from poppies.

Thanks for the words folks.

Turned the corner this afternoon -- still feel like shit, but no longer peaking. Thank god for immodium. RLS remains, yawning, listless, anxiety, shakiness, hot/cold - but less dramatic and less variable, head feels full and tired and the depressive fog is setting in--funny though, at this point a depressive state almost feels like a relief. I hope I can get a little sleep tonight -- I'm sooo drained, oh sooo tired. Thoughts of poppies dancing in my head... I don't want to go back, but warm and fuzzy land's call is so strong, I'd by lying if I said I won't be there and then here again. Praying for hope.

To those reading this thread and contemplating opiates -- think long and hard before you leap. Know that your your pleasure will be fully refunded with interest upon exit.

As for what it can be compared to? Alcohol withdrawal somewhat -- but somehow opiates are far more mentally taxing. I quit drinking 7mo ago - don't miss it.

on the first day of withdrawal or during any part of w/d do any of you have constant urination? OMG, that drives me nuts. It usually only happens to me the first say 24 hours, it's usually one of my first symptoms and it's the symptom that makes me go "ok withdrawal is on it's way"

I'll go pee and in 10 minutes my bladder will be completely full again and this goes on all night. I usually don't sleep during withdrawal but there have been a few strange times where i was able to in my early addiction and I'd wake up every damn hour with the fullest bladder imaginable. And there is this horrible pressure, i have to actually run to the toilet. Than IF i fall back to sleep, I'll wake up anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour with that same full ass bladder. It's my second worst w/d symptom, number one would be RLS, that one is like torture for me. But the last time i had to go through w/d a small dose of Kratom totally kept the RLS away, i was fricken' amazed. I didn't get high from it, in fact i felt nothing from it but it obviously kept my opiate receptors content enough that my body didn't experience RLS. It was a god send.

But yea, the peeing thing. Does anyone else have that problem? I've heard it's because while on opiates we retain water and than when we go into w/d it's the opposite and/or it's just the body trying to rid itself of the toxins.

I don't know how many times I've been through withdrawal. I know i couldn't count the times on my hands, I'd run out of fingers. I've been through it many times and it seems worse each time.

I can bare some of the symptoms but that peeing and RLS is horrible, just horrible.

No one should have to suffer such a terrible thing ya know. But until our laws change and till we on our own quit opiates i guess we have to deal with it.

It's really hard to fully describe w/d to someone who's never been through it. Yea.. we can list the symptoms and describe it through metaphors but until one actually goes through it they'll never totally understand it or relate to it.

Maybe they should make doctors go through one time of withdrawal in medical school. Maybe they'd be more compassionate about it. You know like how cops have to get sprayed with pepper spray one time during training. I saw that in a television show once. It didn't look fun at all.

Rpg

on the first day of withdrawal or during any part of w/d do any of you have constant urination? OMG, that drives me nuts. It usually only happens to me the first say 24 hours, it's usually one of my first symptoms and it's the symptom that makes me go "ok withdrawal is on it's way"

Yep, I usually get that too right in the beginning. It's like I REALLY have to go, the complete opposite of when I'm high as hell on pods and stand in front of the toilet for 5 minutes waiting and waiting...

I don't know how many times I've been through withdrawal. I know i couldn't count the times on my hands, I'd run out of fingers. I've been through it many times and it seems worse each time.

I regularly force myself to endure withdrawal, I figure that any I can get out of the way now will probably make it easier when I'm ready to take the plunge and get clean (heh, at least for a while8) ). It definitely seems to me that everytime I start a withdrawal it just gets harder and crappier every single time.

Maybe they should make doctors go through one time of withdrawal in medical school.
Heh, then we'd have a lot more doctors writing scripts for themselves=D

Well, I kicked opiates pretty painlessly a few weeks ago, by tapering. Dumbass I am, I started up again because A the last kick was so easy, and B I found what I thought was a good hook-up.

Needless to say, the "hook-up" dried up. Now, I had only been using for three measly days. But I can tell that this cold turkey kick is gonna be a bitch. I'm about 29 hours into it, and already it's kicking my ass. Usually, when it comes to withdrawal from pills, "day one" is supposed to be a sort of "grace period"--i.e., on the first night you can usually still sleep fine. But nope, I was tossin and turnin all night. My eyes and nose are running like a faucet, and my hands are shaking very badly. But for some reason, the shits and puking haven't set in yet. I can only imagine what a wonderful night tonight will be:).

I quit using 6 months ago and I've found this thread to be a good read when I'm craving opiates or entertaining the thought of using "just once more" again.

Fuck that shit, I don't miss what's being described here at all.