• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What can opiate withdrawal be compared to?

Well - you guys made me feel a little bit better.

I'm going to the doc soon to find out how to get help with a kratom addiction. I'd say its comparable to codeine - nothing like M or H.

Although, I cant say I have just a kratom problem. I was just on a methadone binge last week, all week, 7 days straight, granted only about 20mg a day....

either way, withdrawal from opiates sucks period.

This is what I get just from kratom withdrawls, starting 12 hours after my last dose - and lasting 3-5 days (I guess, at the 3-5 day mark I cant take it any longer, and if I'm out of kratom I go get some oxy or M)

-Anxiety like feeling in the pit of my stomach, but a physical type of anxiety - I guess its called RLS...because you have to constantly move or its unbearable. And I do mean unbearable.
-Absolute fatigue during the day. 3 cups of coffee and just the idea of walking up or down stairs is so fucking draining.
-Inability to sleep more than 30min at a time, NO EXCEPTION (not even sleeping pills)
-Hot flashes then horrible cold chills...then hot flashes again.
-having to run into a warm bath because you are so fucking cold - only to jump out because you just got way to fucking hot
-nightmares - the worst ever, usually involving cartoonish M or Oxy pills 50x times their size (dont ask)
-Inability to function at work, school, or even talk to anyone. This is probably the worst - taking 5 classes and working 25 hours a week does not leave any chance of detoxing open.
-depression, anxiety, HOPELESSNESS
-If I do manage to make it into work - feeling as if everyone is conspiring against me
-yawning, watery eyes, constant fatigue, clouded mind

and thats only kratom withdrawl :(
I really feel for you guys who have it 100x worse then I do - I dont see how you guys make it

It would be more along the lines of having the flu and knowing that an instant cure for how you're feeling could be 10 seconds away... thats always the worst part for my ass..

like the worst flu you've ever had amplified x100 with the worst cravings imaginable knowing that you can end your suffering with just a little bit more. its hell on earth that i wouldnt wish upon anybody

First, I wake up with a runny nose, runny eyes, sweating with diarrhea. Then my bones begin to ache as if I just played 36 holes of golf and then beaten with a golf club. You cant sleep and all night, you are either shivering cold with goosebumps or sweating like you are in a sauna, and this repeats itself until the end of the physical wd. Constant yawning, which floods your eyes, it looks like you are crying. You don't even want to move a muscle, but you have to, because you have the shits really bad. You stand up and your blood pressure is so high it feels like your head's going to pop off. I don't get the vomitting part, but the last thing I want to do is eat. And that lasts for a couple of weeks. Anxiety makes you feel like you just want to die. Nightmares, no sleep... It's a little bit more than "like the flu." After all this dies down after 3-4 days, you have a serious lack of motivation and you feel depressed. That is the Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. This can last up to 18 months. I got on Suboxone and I'm so glad I don't have to worry about feeling like that anymore. The sad thing is (and what keeps addicts going) is that one dose of your opiate of choice would cure it all, for about 24 hrs. Then you start all over again.

Last edited:
A dr at johns hopkins told me he refers to it as the worst flu you have ever had, with liquid coming out of every orifice except your ears lol.

Ive always felt like i was melting when in really bad WD. like i could see my skin melting off my bones if i closed my eyes. The rls is awful, so are the random muscle cramps and back pain. Your muscles tighten and get sore. For some reason my rhomboid muscle on the right side gets tingly and the only thing i can do is press my back in to a wall or arch over the arm of the couch..

Also, you get a strange taste in your head/nose, and you stink. During really bad WD there is this smell, im guessing it comes thru the pores on your skin, but if you have ever have WD'd from dope, you probably know the smell.

Then there is the mental craving, knowing that just a little bit of brown powder will make you feel 100% normal. No fun at all. The weird thing is you would think after experiencing really bad WD it would make for a great deterrent from future abuse, but it usually doesnt. I have to say tho, the times i have kicked cold turkey, i stayed clean longer than the times i was in rehab. Go figure.

I realize some people go through terrible withdrawals from opiates, and that compared to them, my withdrawals were no big deal...but it still sucked for me--

I abused fentanyl patches for 3 weeks straight..no time off, not even to sleep. I had 14 patches, all of them were mylan 100mcg/hour. Sometimes I would wear two at a time, a couple times i wore 3 at a time.(One new, one 1 day old, one 2 days old). each patch is supposed to last 72 hours, and I used up 14 of them in 3 weeks. When they ran out I went through about 3 days of withdrawals.
At first the withdrawals started like i always go through after eating percs for 3 days... mild coldsweats, little runny nose, slight burning in my lower chest, body feels just heavy, senses like taste and smell are dulled. (After a perc binge, I can drink a few beers at this point and get some sleep.) After about an hour of these initial symptoms, my digestive system came back to life with a vengeance, severe gas pains, heartburn, rectal burning when I took a shit, and pretty powerful nausea. Thats when my skin started to crawl. If you have ever experienced RLS (restless legs syndrome), then you know what I mean, but this was all over my body, not just my legs. It was even inside my body, like inside my joints, elbows, knees, and even in my lungs. Sounds odd, but thats the only way I can describe it. It was like I had to keep moving every inch of skin, and all my limbs too. The skin crawling was the worst of it and it lasted for almost 14 hours. It wouldnt let me sleep, or get comfortable, I had to move to a new position about every ten seconds. This was combined with the gas pains, nausea, headache, coldsweats, runny nose, and body aches, as well as feeling physically heavy.
After the skin crawling stopped, I had been off the opiates for about 16 hours or so, and was completely exhausted. (The patches made it hard to sleep so I was already sleep-deprived when I kicked) I drank a couple of beers and slept like the dead for 2 days. I woke up now and then, ate something or drank something, then went back to sleep. The coldsweats lasted the longest, and the runny nose stayed with me till the third day, but the nausea and headache disappeared sometime during the skin-crawling.

What did I learn? I will NEVER do it again, and I now have more compassion for long term heroin junkies who kick. I understand that they can and do go through much worse, and I hope to god I never have to.

Terrible anxiety with pain, flu and running to the toilet every 10 minutes. That's from low dose (25ug/hr) fentanyl usage.

The anxiety was the worst for me. I felt like I was losing my mind.

enoughorangejuice? said:
anal rape.
You spelled it wrong. In OD, its "anul raip." ;)

I'm 100% heterosexual, but WDs from a long and heavy run are pretty bad. A short raiping might be a better option than dealing with 5-7 days of sickness. :\

Fortunately, I'm on suboxone, so I don't have to deal with either in the foreseeable future.

I guess I'm the lucky one, cause opiate wd's are nothing to me hardly, the only thing i get is some cold sweats everynow and then, but other than that im feeling 100% lol.
(I've been on everything but heroin)

ABBallin....relax tthere buddy why r u pissed off, are eu acutally jelouse of someone goin through WD...anyone can go through hydrocodone withdrawls...and it sucks....obvi heroin is worse...if ur a heroin addict then get more heroin and afford it or stop and do something with ur life besides getting mad at people retard

hahaahhaha i just relized i was just talking back or shit to someone who commented on this in 2004..whos the idiot now ay?8o :)

I'd say opiate withdrawal is comparable to having the bird flu while getting punched in the stomach after losing a loved one and getting run over by a train...all at once.

The bodily systems that'll be affected most by withdrawal are respiratory, gastrointestinal, and psychological, so you'll be feeling like you have the flu/bronchitis, nausea and diarrhea with or without vomiting, increased muscular pain, cold sweats, fatigue, mental depression, and strong cravings for the drug, among other weird feelings and sensations.

The only time I've had w/ds are after drinking pod tea every other day for about a month and then stopping all at once...no vomiting, only mild nausea with no diarrhea, but the cold sweats, shivering, runny nose, yawning, nightmares, manic/depressive symptoms, fatigue and joint pain were pretty severe. Lasted around 4 days, too.

Last edited:
I've gone through withdrawals twice..well lots of times i've withdrawn from Fentanyl (the worst) and from methadone once..it was PURE hell. I can't imagine anything else that would make me feel worse. I didn't sleep for 8 days straight and dealt with all of those symptoms the entire time. I was ready to die pretty much. And mentally it was even worse. I don't even like to think about it now, that was a pretty scary mental state.