• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What benzo is best for dog anxiety during storms?

My dog (Yes my literal dog not joking) has severe anxiety, anxiety so bad he cries and runs around until he physically can't, during storms. We've tried everything from comforting, playing, making a safe hiding place, turning on music, and even diphenhydramine. None of it helps. What benzo would be best for ~1 time a month usage? I want something that works fast (so preferably something that kicks in under 30 mins) so we can give it to him at the first sign of storms. I'm thinking alprazolam or diazepam but I want some more input. Obviously we are taking him to the vet to get the medicine so this is more of a question for myself since I am curious.
For our 3 dogs we use roughly 100mgs of trazadone depending on size. Our 65 pound takes 100 while our 30 pounder takes half that. It's very effective.

My dog (Yes my literal dog not joking) has severe anxiety, anxiety so bad he cries and runs around until he physically can't, during storms. We've tried everything from comforting, playing, making a safe hiding place, turning on music, and even diphenhydramine. None of it helps. What benzo would be best for ~1 time a month usage? I want something that works fast (so preferably something that kicks in under 30 mins) so we can give it to him at the first sign of storms. I'm thinking alprazolam or diazepam but I want some more input. Obviously we are taking him to the vet to get the medicine so this is more of a question for myself since I am curious.
About 6-7 years ago, to my surprise my vet would prescribe my boxer 20 2mg green hulk Xanax. I was shocked, yet really happy. Now, obviously he directed me to break them into quarters. To top things off, it had 2 refills as well. Not gonna lie, I took the majority of those pills. I got away with refilling them and got another 20 ct 2 mg green hulks. It was around this time they started to catch on and said “If you come to the vet, you will be arrested”.
My dog didn’t really have anxiety. That was a great couple of months though. True story.

Small update: The vet prescribed him Acepromazine (also called Ace) and we attempted to use it next storm. It did not do anything to calm him down. All it did was make him loopy and stumble everywhere. I understand benzos are more heavily monitored by the DEA recently but damn I just want my bud to not be in agony every time it storms. Thankfully summer is pretty much over so the storms will be much less frequent until next year. Might try again then.

Maybe just slam a hypodermic needle in ur dogs ass/leg muscle and inject Ketamine HCL which is safe / doesn’t effect breathing/respiration or heart rate, and will anesthetize your dog in a mild K hole lol

Dogs being loaded on planes have this done.

While on a flight I saw a dog in a carrier and was so well behaved and calm, pure chilled out. The person I was flying with said, ya, I use to work at an airport and the dogs are given an IM injection prior to the flight.

Ketamine is relatively short acting, so they don’t use that. I’d bet it’s an IM injection of Midazolam or Diazepam, a long acting benzodiazepine with prominent anxiolytic/sedative properties.

Speak to your vet. They’ll write you a script. I’ve seen Gabapentin capsules at a vet clinic on the shelves, they often give benzodiazepine injections to mammals such as dogs

I once took in a dog that followed me from the beach to my apartment. Turned out she had terminal cancer. In order to find out if there's anything that could be done for her other than to make as happy and comfortable as possible, we took her to several vets.
Amazing what they prescribed her. It went from OTC meds to pure vet stuff, to benzos and even opioids (though small amounts)
My dog rescue friend and I shared the good stuff among us. Lady D (dog in question) never showed either anxiety nor signs of pain.
She was happy, and sociable, and as playful as her age and condition allowed.
I had her put down when she couldn't lay down without being unable to breathe (three weeks after I took her in).

I once took in a dog that followed me from the beach to my apartment. Turned out she had terminal cancer. In order to find out if there's anything that could be done for her other than to make as happy and comfortable as possible, we took her to several vets.
Amazing what they prescribed her. It went from OTC meds to pure vet stuff, to benzos and even opioids (though small amounts)
My dog rescue friend and I shared the good stuff among us. Lady D (dog in question) never showed either anxiety nor signs of pain.
She was happy, and sociable, and as playful as her age and condition allowed.
I had her put down when she couldn't lay down without being unable to breathe (three weeks after I took her in).
I always try to make my dogs life as best as possible so that she can be happy
for as long as she possibly can because I know they can only live for around 16 years or so or less.
And then sometimes I think she might live longer than me though. 😁 I found her when she was a puppy.
She grew so fast. They adjust to pain better than we can because they can sleep. Snacks and bones make them happy too. Always.
But most important they love being happy and warm and that makes them feel the best in the world. <3😭

I really enjoyed your story. You write so well !! <3

We could learn from pets, right 😉
and they get snacks 🐶

We could learn from pets, right
I do learn LOTS from them. And not only my dogs or other pets. I love to observe animals interact with each other. Is such a beautiful thing, something I can relate to, unlike to most humans.
I really enjoyed your story. You write so well !!
Thank you so much! This really gives me a boost because I'm not very verbal but have to function in three different languages almost every day.

Thank you so much! This really gives me a boost because I'm not very verbal but have to function in three different languages almost every day.
xFCCTzs.jpeg

3DSfibD.jpeg

IeYybE4.jpeg

Children Are Tiny Humans, Not Little Adults

don't bully someone's life. get psychiatric help for 5cents

SUM8JVE.jpeg

I have no direct experience but I do know for a fact that both Alprazolam and Diazepam can be administered to dogs

It's not like dosing humans though. I'm unaware of doses but it's LOW - and is something you MUST check out with your vet. Most definitely do NOT give any animals anything but 100% definitely pure pharma product.

Something else you could try would be cbd. Can be awesome for anxiety in animals. Dose is 5mg cbd for a 4kg CAT and I've seen that dose work wonders, really. You would have to research dog doses yourself. Much love to your doggo <3

Do you have any experiencing dosing a cat with THC? We have a 23-4 yr old cat with doctors orders to "give him whatever makes him happy'' and i think this may fit in the category.

Was thinking the High TeCH THC water but read in reality it is more like a syrup??

i go with alprazolam for the cat if he needs to be shaved or something of such nature.

Don't cats have their own special weed?
Catnip? I guess kind of .... but cat nip tends to act as a very short lasting stimulant type effect. this boy is old and has a slew of medical problems, does not appreciate smoke being blown at him however. (not that I blame him)