• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What benzo is best for dog anxiety during storms?

The_Big_Man

Bluelighter
My dog (Yes my literal dog not joking) has severe anxiety, anxiety so bad he cries and runs around until he physically can't, during storms. We've tried everything from comforting, playing, making a safe hiding place, turning on music, and even diphenhydramine. None of it helps. What benzo would be best for ~1 time a month usage? I want something that works fast (so preferably something that kicks in under 30 mins) so we can give it to him at the first sign of storms. I'm thinking alprazolam or diazepam but I want some more input. Obviously we are taking him to the vet to get the medicine so this is more of a question for myself since I am curious.

My dog (Yes my literal dog not joking) has severe anxiety, anxiety so bad he cries and runs around until he physically can't, during storms. We've tried everything from comforting, playing, making a safe hiding place, turning on music, and even diphenhydramine. None of it helps. What benzo would be best for ~1 time a month usage? I want something that works fast (so preferably something that kicks in under 30 mins) so we can give it to him at the first sign of storms. I'm thinking alprazolam or diazepam but I want some more input. Obviously we are taking him to the vet to get the medicine so this is more of a question for myself since I am curious.
I have no direct experience but I do know for a fact that both Alprazolam and Diazepam can be administered to dogs

It's not like dosing humans though. I'm unaware of doses but it's LOW - and is something you MUST check out with your vet. Most definitely do NOT give any animals anything but 100% definitely pure pharma product.

Something else you could try would be cbd. Can be awesome for anxiety in animals. Dose is 5mg cbd for a 4kg CAT and I've seen that dose work wonders, really. You would have to research dog doses yourself. Much love to your doggo <3

I know someone who gives their dog a kind of cookie made with cannabis oil or extract during new years eve (private use of fireworks is, as of now, legal in the place I live, so there are a lot of explosions and flashing lights, especially in urban areas), and he says it works for her. He gets them from the family they got their dog from, but I don't know any specifics. It could even be that it isn't even made with cannabis, but I have to ask.

I know someone who gives their dog a kind of cookie made with cannabis oil or extract during new years eve (private use of fireworks is, as of now, legal in the place I live, so there are a lot of explosions and flashing lights, especially in urban areas), and he says it works for her. He gets them from the family they got their dog from, but I don't know any specifics. It could even be that it isn't even made with cannabis, but I have to ask.
We have tried CBD, natural herbs and oils, and full on low dose edibles (not enough to get him high as a human would like) and none of them work to calm him down. This is our kinda last resort after ~3 years of trying everything. A funny thing is fireworks and guns are very common during celebrations where I live and he is totally fine with them. He will literally lay outside while fireworks and guns are being shot less than 50ft from him. We even had a big explosion that shook our entire house before and he was unbothered. Its only thunder lol. Thank you for the response.

I have no direct experience but I do know for a fact that both Alprazolam and Diazepam can be administered to dogs

It's not like dosing humans though. I'm unaware of doses but it's LOW - and is something you MUST check out with your vet. Most definitely do NOT give any animals anything but 100% definitely pure pharma product.

Something else you could try would be cbd. Can be awesome for anxiety in animals. Dose is 5mg cbd for a 4kg CAT and I've seen that dose work wonders, really. You would have to research dog doses yourself. Much love to your doggo <3
Yes we intend to follow the vets instructions perfectly, even if they give him something other than a benzo, as I am obviously not a vet or a doctor. I have tried CBD but he was uneffected by it due to just how bad he panics. I appreciate the response

@The_Big_Man that must be super distressing for you, it's almost unbearable seeing our pets suffering eh

Is there any chance doggo is picking up on your anxiey for him/her too and exacerbating ? Am not saying you are causing it, of course not...but they do defo vibe off us in such scenarios too so take care to remain as grouned as poss when doggo flipping out...I know it's a massive ask, but gotta cosider everything for even potential minor 'gains' sometimes

@The_Big_Man that must be super distressing for you, it's almost unbearable seeing our pets suffering eh

Is there any chance doggo is picking up on your anxiey for him/her too and exacerbating ? Am not saying you are causing it, of course not...but they do defo vibe off us in such scenarios too so take care to remain as grouned as poss when doggo flipping out...I know it's a massive ask, but gotta cosider everything for even potential minor 'gains' sometimes
That's a perfectly reasonable question and maybe it was true at first but since this has been going on since he was born I no longer have any worries during storms and him. I mostly go about my buisness and let him cling to me for comfort. The one thing that can make him stop crying is when I literally swaddle him in my arms and put some of my weight on him (like a strong hug basically) and that will allow him to stop crying and to lay his head down though he will still shake. Most of the time though like I said I just go about my buisness or go back to sleep and allow him to stick close for comfort and petting/playing doesn't seem to comfort or get through to him.

Depends on the dog size and temperament, but in general, I'd recommend diazepam in most cases.

Alprazolam is more likely to provoke unwanted, disinhibited and sometimes aggressive behavior. Not a big deal for a pug, but if you have an aggressive or moody rottweiler you'd want to avoid alprazolam for sure.

I don't know how well studied it is, my "data" consists of no research paper I have read myself, but apparently THC can be toxic for dogs in way it is not to humans. Dogs cannabinoid system is much, much more sensitive than of humans (which may or may not explain why they are so goofy, cuddly and hungry always).
Some synthetic cannabinoids that have tens or hundreds times higher "ceiling" than THC are toxic to humans too.

I know somebody whos dogs (mini pinschers) were prescribed 0.25 mg xanax pills, but they made the dogs more hyperactive. The prescription was changed to acepromazine, but I'm unsure of the dose.

I know somebody whos dogs (mini pinschers) were prescribed 0.25 mg xanax pills, but they made the dogs more hyperactive.
That seems like a ridiculous dose for any dog, let alone a mini breed. Jeez... .25mg can have quite profound effects in humans.

Although I did have a cat once who was prescribed 12.5mg diphenhydramine x2 daily for a condition, sounded like a lot to me, but she seemed to tolerate it OK and it did help the condition (hyperaesthesia).

I don't know how well studied it is, my "data" consists of no research paper I have read myself, but apparently THC can be toxic for dogs in way it is not to humans.

Yes, I've heard this as well. There is a shop near me with tons of cannabinoid products intended for pets, and it always bothered me.

Animals are good at hiding illness and pain, so even if they appear to react OK it may be making them sick.

I had a cat on diazepam (prescribed) before. So I would imagine it to be safe but always due diligence research... yeah, I know that's kinda what ya doin my bad.
Peace

Honestly I am not completely sure instinct does not over ride the benzo in animals but maybe take an edge off idk.

Liquid Etizolam 0.5mg in a small water dish

Potent and rapid acting potent anxiolytic benzodiazepine analog

Liquid Etizolam 0.5mg in a small water dish

Potent and rapid acting potent anxiolytic benzodiazepine analog
They don't prescribe etizolam at the vets in the US to my knowledge and it was recently made schedule 1 a couple weeks ago so even if I wanted it no vendors are selling it anymore (sad)

That seems like a ridiculous dose for any dog, let alone a mini breed. Jeez... .25mg can have quite profound effects in humans.

Although I did have a cat once who was prescribed 12.5mg diphenhydramine x2 daily for a condition, sounded like a lot to me, but she seemed to tolerate it OK and it did help the condition (hyperaesthesia).

Yes, I've heard this as well. There is a shop near me with tons of cannabinoid products intended for pets, and it always bothered me.

Animals are good at hiding illness and pain, so even if they appear to react OK it may be making them sick.
Funny story actually, we gave him (he's a very large breed, stands almost 6ft tall on his back legs) a 25mg diphenhydramine pill to see if it would calm him down. It didn't but once the storm passed he was OUT. So sleepy that when he would wake up from a noise or us calling him he wouldn't get up but just raise his head and keep his eyes half open and was fighting for his life to no go back to sleep right away. Since it didn't help his anxiety we didn't give it to him again and the fact I know how awful it is being that drowsy.

They have approved anxiolytic meds for animals. At a vet office I saw a 1000 tablet bottle of Gabapentin 100mg capsules.

For flights they actually get an IM injection of Diazepam (depending on body weight) example .005mg/kg

Maybe a full-size German Shepard would get 0.5mg - 1mg of IM Diazepam or 300mg oral Gabapentin

They have approved anxiolytic meds for animals. At a vet office I saw a 1000 tablet bottle of Gabapentin 100mg capsules.

For flights they actually get an IM injection of Diazepam (depending on body weight) example .005mg/kg

Maybe a full-size German Shepard would get 0.5mg - 1mg of IM Diazepam or 300mg oral Gabapentin
True we haven't tried any gabaergics yet so they may try gabapentin before a benzo. We plan to follow the vet's orders. Would be nice if gabapentin works since I'd prefer to use the most mild solution possible. We've worked our way up the ladder though and it seems nothing short of a benzo will be able to calm him down.