• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What Are You Listening To? V. XXVII Durty Basslines

New found respect for Mary Timony... pretty sure this is genuine...

Mary Timony - Honeycomb (demo) <3

Apparently from something called the "Little Bird Girl Demos" pre-Dirt of Luck. Seems to be mention of them on 1 blog, there are a few on tumblr & songs on YouTube too.

Trees - Road

i thought you would like them Don

ever try this band here out

Sweetwater - What's Wrong

I had both of their studio LPs on back-to-back in my trip last night. It was fucking amazing. It was so beautiful and wonderful that a tear fell from my eye a song or two in. I then became the tear and evaporated into the ether, condensing back into the tear when the last song had played. I have never lost my physical self on such a low dose of psychedelics before <3

I'll add Sweetwater to my watch list for my next trip. I like to hear the music for the very first time when I'm tripping because then my mind isn't familiar with what the music is going to do next. I wish I had Sweetwater to play after Trees last night but it was amazing nonetheless. Thank you, man! :D

Primal Scream - Velocity Girl - 1986

Primal Scream – Velocity Girl Lyrics
Here she comes again
With vodka in her veins
Been playing with a spike
She couldn't get it right
Splendour in silver dress
Velocity possessed
The world was hers again
It fell apart again
I don't need anyone to hurt me
No, not anyone at all
Because my so-called friends have left me
And I don't care at all
Leave me alone
Leave me alone
Leave me alone <3

Someone just posted the winner of John Peel's festive 50 that year on Facebook, as voted tracks of the year by his listeners, perhaps the track I've just posted is the only track from his those heady days that isn't so well known by everybody, (who likes their Indie stuff) which is a crying shame imo. This was Primal Scream at their best, imo, before they became more massive than anyone ever expected, Bobby Gillespie left / got booted out ? of The Jesus and Mary Chain, and they largely left their true indie roots behind to become just another Rock band imo, all be it an Indie Rock Band.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/festive50s/1980s/1986/

Guess i cant post all that without posting the winner too::

The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

The Smiths - I Know It's Over

Morrissey - Everyday Is Like Sunday

My flat mate at the time totally killed the track posted above, for me, by playing it several times too many a day, every day. I can only now, after so many years, listen to it afresh, thanks to her.:!

The Smiths - Panic (Official Music Video)

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Some Candy Talking

I'm going down to the place tonight
To see if I can get a taste tonight
A taste of something warm and sweet
That shivers your bones and rises to your heat

I'm going down to the place tonight
The damp and hungry place tonight
Should all the stars shine in the sky
They couldn't outshine your sparkling eyes
But it's so hard to be the one
To touch and tease and to do it all for fun
But it's too much for a young heart to take
Cause hearts are the easiest things you could break

And I talk to the filth and I walk to the door
I'm knee deep in myself
But I want to get more of that stuff
Of that stuff

Some candy talking
Talk

And I want
And I want
Some candy talking

Some candy talk
I love the way she's walking
I love the way she's talking
It's just the way she's walking
It's just the way she's talking

And I need
All that stuff
Give me some
Of that stuff
I want your candy. I want your candy
And I need
Give me some
Of your stuff
Give me some
I want your candy. I want your candy.
I want your candy. I want your candy.
I want stuff <3

Why does the music from the period you were most naturally and intensely into music always sound like some of the best stuff ever recorded:? Perhaps because in part i had the good fortune that some of it really was, but there's a lot of nostalgia going on there too. I'm so glad I didn't suddenly grow tired of music and stop listening out for new stuff, though admittedly the rate of discovering new stuff has dwindled markedly.8(

From the sublime to the ridicilous, depending on mood and energy level and other very variable variables.

Boney M - Daddy Cool lyrics

Last edited:
New Order - Movement (Album)

New Order - Factus 8 (EP)

New Order - Elegia (Full Length Version)

Some of the many, many reasons I <3 New Order. That first linky in particular I used to blast at - quite literally thanks to auld hippy stepfather's obscenely good stereo setup - oppressively ear-splitting volume whilst - quite literally thanks to being a teenager - "In a Lonely Place".

<3

And New Order were one of those bands ideally suited to an obscenely good stereo set up. I'm jealous. Though the radio cassette player that i finally got hooked up to my first car, not long before crashing it 8(o also managed to allow for plenty of appreciation, and came with the advantage of the freedom to plat it as loud as you wanted any time of day or night, duee to live miles from Nowhere at that time. The long distances you had to drive to get anywhere at least gave me plenty of time to do just that.

Nick Cave - Abattoir Blues

My current fave track, im careful not to listen to it often, less it loose a bit of it's sheen. Gorgeous track, beatifully, no, epically sang.

Camille O'Sullivan - The Ship Song

Of all the covers of Hurt, this imo is the best, even better than Johnny Cash's awesome version. She takes it somewhere new, somewhere all of her own, when she literally lets her hair down towards the end, in the last 90 seconds or so, the crescendo of all crescendos<3

Camille O'Sullivan Hurt

God Is in the House I was knocked for 6 first time i heard this.

ZZ TOP - I need you tonight The instrumentals in this track still sound awesome imo; so tight, which also benefited from listening through obscenely expensive stereo equipment. I sadly rarely got the chance. 8)

Hard-Fi - Television

The Wedding Present - You Should Always Keep In Touch With Your Friends

ABBA : Fernando (HD)

ABBA: SOS (Kultnacht - rimasterizzato) - HD - HQ sound

Abba - Dancing Queen

ABBA - The Winner Takes It All (1980) HD 0815007

Abba - Chiquitita For the doubters, please at least wait until the first chorus kicks in, such a euphoric transition.:D

Abba - Take A Chance On Me

Abba - The Name Of The Game

Glen Campbell - "Rhinestone Cowboy" - HQ Audio))) I just loved this song ever since i first heard it age 4 or something, it took me quite a few years to understand some of the more 'adult' lyrics, though the overall gist was not entirely lost on me. :eek:

NEIL DIAMOND - SWEET CAROLINE (HQ-856X480) CD SOUND

Neil Diamond - Forever in Blue Jeans (Stereo!) Why was ND never regarded as "cool"? For that reason he has been a discovery i made far too late in life.8)

John Denver - Country Roads Almost certainly "uncool", but im glad to be past the stage of caring, and simply like or dislike a track based on it's intrinsic merits and not all the crap that all too often got embroiled.

Air Supply I'm all out of love Many thanks to the makers of Animal Kingdom for using this track to such great effect in their film.

Spoilers for anyone who gives a shit.

NSFW:
I suspect it was very deliberately chosen for its easy listening beauty, because that was so at odds with all the otherwise very grim, stark, toughness of the film, and only played once very briefly during one of the very few brief tender moments of the film, which made the song stand out even more, a brief soft focus scene of the young couple so at odds with all the evil and tragedy, the way the track faded out, and the tone gradually changed to one of downright downright sinister as the camera panned round the room to dhow the evil "Pope"; leaving the viewer in no doubt as to his very creepy feeling towards that that young girl, revealing the chief villain of the film, and the depths of his evil and the fear that he inspired, oh so masterfully gradually. One of the best villains ever captured on screen imo, a smackhead to boot (please forgive the pun) of course. He was never destined for a very long life

more random bullshit. :eek:
NSFW:
I still cannot decide whether I liked the film or the track more. :\ I hadn't any recollection of ever having heard the the track before that film, it was released in 1980 and I'd probably have classed it as 'boring grown up muisic' at the time and dismissed it alltogether, but i suspect it was always there in the back of my mind ever since i must have heard it many years before, for it to have been able to strike me so powerfully during the film. Perhaps i should mention that this was when i was totally in my opi - honey moon period with O-dt especially, everything was rosy at that point, not a care for the future. :|Now a week is not complete without listening to this at least once if i possibly can. And the same goes for O-dt, but some good things must come to an end, when you finally realise who's really in control.

JJ Cale - Carry on

Chris Rea - The road to hell HD

Crash Test Dummies: God Shuffled His Feet

CRASH TEST DUMMIES - IN THE DAYS OF THE CAVEMAN <3

How Does A Duck Know?

Crash Test Dummies - When I Go Out With Artists

Crash Test Dummies Afternoons And Coffee spoons

Crash Test Dummies - Swimming in your ocean HQ Audio <3

Nicky Thomas: Is it because I'm black? Such a great live performer, a complete natural, born to get up on that stage. Tragically another genius taken us from us too soon. The guy had only just turned 40.

Nicky Thomas Love of the Common People 1973

The Doors - Gloria (Official Music Video) Cant believe I'd not heard this before, great cover.:eek:

Observatory Crest - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

Further Than We've Gone - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

Captain Beefheart - Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles

Del Amitri - Nothing Ever Happens

Tracy Chapman - Talkin' bout a Revolution [High Quality]

Tracy Chapman - Baby Can I Hold U

Lou Reed - Perfect Day

Iggy Pop - The Passenger

Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy (album version) HD 16:9

Snow patrol Open your eyes (lyrics)

Snow Patrol - You Could Be Happy (Lyrics)

Snow Patrol - Run (Lyrics)

Snow Patrol - You're all I Have

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars (lyrics)

Snow Patrol - Make This Go On Forever [Lyrics]

Set Fire to the Third Bar - Snow Patrol Lyrics!

Linkin Park - Numb (Official Video)

Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong (Official Video)

Linkin Park - Breaking The Habit (Official Video)

kings Of Leon - Use Somebody [Lyrics]

Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends (with lyrics on screen)

Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams Lyrics

Green day - Time of your life with lyrics

Metallica - Nothing else matter lyrics

In The Shadows - The Rasmus

Nickelback - How You Remind Me

The Calling - Wherever You Will Go

Enrique Iglesias - Hero

Death In Vegas - Dirge (live on Later) Could a band sound any more like The Pixies without actually being them - yes, judging by this crazy remix, the other versions might as well have been done by The Pixies when Frank Black was having a day off, or an off day. Sometimes much the same thing.8(

Metallica - One (Full Lyrics) Has anyone ever been to a Metallica gig, do they do encores, end if so is this track the usual choice?

Warehouse: Songs and Stories - Full Album by Hüsker Dü (1987) Yeah, this band has taken a long time for me to get into, but finally getting there i think on about the tenth listen over 20 years. 8)

Deep Forest - Deep Forest (World Mix)

Enigma - Best full album

Deep Forest Gathering There is, or was, a lot of hope for an explosion of a French 'WORLD MUSIC' scene, but it never happened to my knowledge?

Tom Petty - Night Driver

Tom Petty -- Honey Bee -- (Wildflowers Album)

Tom Petty- Crawling Back To You Epic. <3

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Time to Move On This wildlflowers album is sounding good, all of Petty's stuff is tbh.

Tom Petty - To Find A Friend

Tom Petty - Square One

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Into The Great Wide Open

Tom Petty - Learning To Fly

Sugar- Helpless (Glad to discover i wasn't the only one to have by far found Copper Blue to be be the best Sugar/ Husker Du/ Bob Mould album, by far the most melodic of their staqggering 19 + albums to date things seem to have gone very quiet since Copper Blue, I guess he wanted to finish on a career best high. Again i was very lucky in my timing to be into this kind of stuff at exactlty the best time, as voted for by "a panel of experts"? I was a couple of months too slow to catch seeing Nirvana play in Bristol's intimate and easy to get to the front; Bierkeller. Still by biggest musical regret though I am glad to say that PJ Harevy seeming to favor Bristol as her preferred choice of city, so i they went a long way to making up for so narrolwy missing out on seeeing Nirvana, by seeing PJ Harvey at every oppoportunity and there were fucking loads, must have been before they became massive, not as big as N obviosly but plenty big enough for them to handle im sure. Lucky escape if you ask me, after seeing what mega stardom did for Kurt Corbain. :| If the film "Last Days." is to be in any way believed kurt spent his last few days at what must have been his favourite retereat, a totally bohemian run down country mansion in the best possible kind of style and taste, and lived out his last few days barely managing to mutter a word or 2, certainly not string a senetence together. He O'd in real time iirc as the film was shot, and was a real heartbreaker to see t=he guy fail to cope with all the adulation of making arguably one the best, or certainly most influnetial albums ever in Nevermind, and one of the most intense, revered, and solo acosutic performancres ever during MTVs time of hosting Unplugged.

http://www.stereogum.com/1190201/bo...anchises/counting-down/attachment/copperblue/

Sugar- Helpless

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dzOsM0gTw] Sugar - A Good Idea [/url]

Sugar - Changes

The Slits - Instant Hit

Bob Marley-Redemption Song-With Lyrics

Bob Marley - Is this Love

Bob Marley - Buffalo soldier This is the most ive ever enjoyed Marley, i guess i must have been smoking the right stuff. ;-)

The Ting Tings - Hands (Lyrics) Sounding as great as ever, having the huge selection available for free on you tube, means that i have no excuses for ever over listening to any track ever again.

The Ting Tings - Be The One Fucking marvelous. :D

The Ting Tings - Keep Your Head Even more Fucking marvelous. :D

Blondie - Dreaming (1979) HQ The woman who had everything and succeeded in not publically letting drugs over take her life. It seems almost a given that she will have at least been through private battles with her problems, not onlt that but she has kept much of her great voice and looks well into her 60s. A survivor who has not only avoided the usual excesses to the extend of ruining her voice and looks, and having a career spanning some 40 years. A great example for others to follow imo.

Blondie - Call Me Just wow. :D

Blondie - Heart Of Glass Again she looks amazing even if it is to this day virtually impossible to make out the lyrics, even if i no longer have to the completelyworn out 7" vinyl i had, still have, but no means of listening to it.

Blondie - Hanging on the Telephone I had forgotten quite how awesome Blondie was. A definite legend imo. A sound ahead of it's time too.

Free Money --- Patti Smith again, years ahead of her time, if Iggy Pop is the Godfather of Punk then Patti Smith must be the Godmother. The UK was at least 2 years
behind the US at this timer, for some reason.

Johnny Cash - Hurt HD 720p

Johnny Cash - "One" What an honour for any band or songwriter to have Johhny Cash cover their tracks, especially when he did them as well as this.

Once (music shop scene) - Falling slowly l i Love the way the shop keeper cannot keep the grin of his face towards the end of the track (4.05 when Hansard starts thrashing the fuck out of his guitar. I recommed the film to anyone interested in seeing talent out itself, people making it literally from busker level to having a CD recorded and moving to London to pursue his acreer all in double quick time. The recording sessions are also a joy to watch, initially the sound mixer is bored and unimpressed with having to work through the night, but it only takes him a few seconds to realise that he's dealing with a level of talent that you dont meet everyday.

Bon Iver - Flume

Bon Iver - for Emma One of the most tinglingly gorgeous albums or recentish years imo. It's awesome to listen to when out k=hiking in the Lakes or somewhere equally stunning. Makes a great accompniment imo.

Bon Iver - Skinny Love

Lump Sum - Bon Iver

Babybird - Goodnight promo video

Last edited:
@ Commix - My Nu Leng fabric live mix. After months of average mixes and album release in dance music finally we get something new and different.

No link u have to buy but worth every penny. This is one hell of a technical mix taking in multiple genres from D and B grime garage house techno hip hop and old skool hardcore. Play it loud and turn da bass up.

Fuckin hell MDB, that's quite some list you posted up there - and I'm in full agreement with 90% of them (the other 10% I'm not familiar with). I know what you're saying about Neil Diamond though - I can't help liking his stuff...

I only discovered that i Liked him about 2 years ago aswell, heard him by chance on TV or radio, I love his voice and tunes. Apart from his biggest 3 hits, Sweet Caroline, Crackling Rosie, and, Forever in Blue Jeans i haven't really found anything else of his that i like too much, yet. 8( Any tips?

Everly Brothers - Songs Our Daddy Taught Us
Classic. As a kid, I found an E.P. with 4 of the tracks from the LP -- Roving Gambler, Lightning Express, Down in the Willow Garden and one other (may have been Long Time Gone). Later, on a wild and crazy holiday which involved me hitch-hiking up from Ipswich to Wells-Next-the-Sea, I went to a record fair somewhere in rural East Anglia, and discovered the full album on CD; so I ..... er ..... obtained it, and gave it to my Dad after I had made a tape of it. (This was the days before recordable CDs, though the person I met up with on that trip would eventually end up using one of the first CD recording drives in the country ..... not that they were much good for music piracy in 1995, when a blank media cost more than a store-bought CD .....)

Have you heard Foreverly by Billie Joe Armstrong (of Green Day) and Norah Jones -- a cover version of the same album? What did you think of it?

Oh, and I've also been listening to this: Ivor Cutler -- Little Black Buzzer

Classic. As a kid, I found an E.P. with 4 of the tracks from the LP -- Roving Gambler, Lightning Express, Down in the Willow Garden and one other (may have been Long Time Gone). Later, on a wild and crazy holiday which involved me hitch-hiking up from Ipswich to Wells-Next-the-Sea, I went to a record fair somewhere in rural East Anglia, and discovered the full album on CD; so I ..... er ..... obtained it, and gave it to my Dad after I had made a tape of it. (This was the days before recordable CDs, though the person I met up with on that trip would eventually end up using one of the first CD recording drives in the country ..... not that they were much good for music piracy in 1995, when a blank media cost more than a store-bought CD .....)

Have you heard Foreverly by Billie Joe Armstrong (of Green Day) and Norah Jones -- a cover version of the same album? What did you think of it?

Oh, and I've also been listening to this: Ivor Cutler -- Little Black Buzzer

Oh nice, not heard the cover album but I'll check it out for sure. Thanks julie.