• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Reading Cat's Cradle again from Vonnegut while I wait for some new Amazon books to come in.

51pj5jRGyuL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

^^One of my heroes. Along with Orwell, David Foster Wallace, James Baldwin, and Salinger, can read Vonnegut's books over and over and never get bored of them.

Right now I'm almost finished with "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon. It's great.

Personally, if I were to recommend a novel of his it would be Post Office.

To all Bukowski fans that haven't already, check out John Fante's Ask the Dust and you'll see how/why he was such a big influence on Hank.

Yes, and Yes! (Fante's The Arturo Bandini Quartet also worth while).

Recently read Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter, and it was fantastic. Highly recommended.

if you have not given the The Fountainhead a read you may also like that. I have tried at the Atlas three times and we crashed and burned each time. i still have it lying around some where but i feal it may be perfect picked back up, if I am granted leave to live long enough to find the right time.

^^ Don't bother. Atlas Shrugged is close to the worst book I have ever read, which is surprising because The Fountainhead was so good.

I'm currently alternating between Malcolm X's autobiography and Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil. I also picked up Plato's Republic, but that one's pretty hefty. Will have to start that one when I finish the other two.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I just finished it. Don't think it really was Pulitzer prize winning material but they did. I liked it, though.

I'm reading The Last Gunfight about the events leading up to the gunfight at the OK Corral

Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh--funniest book I have read in ages.

Raw Spirit - by the late and great Iain Banks.

Its a non-fiction book about scotch whisky and so far, highly amusing. Whilst reading it, I was compelled to pour myself a neat Glenmorangie... which I then sipped and savoured in his honour.

^^

Love Banks.

Me too. More than any other author. You were talking about not reading an authors last book earlier, but The Quarry almost felt like closure to me. I only discovered he'd passed away a couple of months ago (I had googled his name and was perplexed by the wording "was a British author"), but it was like a part of me had died as well.

I am a huge Stephen King fan and just recently finished Different Seasons, which I highly recommend if you enjoyed the movies The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me. I just recently began reading Jack Kerouac's On The Road.

Just finished on the kindle: Brain on Fire(Cahalan), Americanah (Adichie), All the Light We Could Not See (Doerr), Tell the Wolves I'm Home (Brunt), Norwegian Wood (Murakami) and The Painter (Peter Heller). Real book-wise, I am reading Calvino's Italian Folktales and 2 different Chase Twichell's poetry books (Snow Watcher and Horses Where the Answers Should Have Been).

The Primal Screamer by Nick Blinko (currently reading)

I've also just recently read T.A.Z.: The Temporary Autonomous Zone by Hakim Bey (Peter Lamborn Wilson)

"The Outsider" by H.P. Lovecraft is a short story I find worthwhile to mention among the various other things I've read in the very recent past.

Last edited: