What album/song are you addicted to atm?

Roger the Engineer by The Yardbirds. " I ain't done wrong " . Shit. Their entire catalog!

Albion, I see you now, once noble, high and fair,
Your greatness gone, your wealth dispersed, as empty as the air,
What wasting sickness struck so at the flesh beneath the skin,
Took might and honour at a stroke, and withered from within?

This is one of my fav live albums of the man though its only the first cd of this album

some really nice guitar work on this

hqdefault.jpg

(archive.org link: 3/1/69)

I've probably posted this before.

This is my favorite. Bar none. My go-to. Early as hell but certainly a peak for that period, and most of my favorites are in the first five years as the Grateful Dead properly or so.

Listened to this shit so much that every note is just there, you know?

^Hey thanks for that SKL. There's so many concerts that I'm having trouble finding what to listen to at times, often just resorting to Dick's Picks (which works out usually, they offer better sound quality) but I'm always up for a good concert recommendation.

Never did get into the Dead, it's all Hawkwind loving this side of the pond.

If you had to recommend an album to start with?

What really turned me onto the Dead was their studio album Blues for Allah; however, many will tell you that you only truly like the Dead if you hear their live music. For that I really, really, really enjoy the second disc of Dick's Picks Vol. 16, it's a great section of a concert they played at the Fillmore Auditorium 11/8/69. Europe '72 is also a quintessential live album and I'd say it would give you a broader picture of their music. I highly recommend frying on acid when you listen to them also because that's really what made the connection for me. Some people don't need that, but I did. Now I listen to them sober, drunk, on anything really hahah.

All of their music is darn good but one can only realize that once they've already fallen in love with a smaller portion of their music; then of course some only like certain time periods. My old roommate is obsessed with 1965-69 when it comes to the dead and he kinda cringes if I turn on some late 80s dead.

I'd also recommend checking out documentaries about them, I watched the Bob Weir documentary on Netflix (The Other One) a while ago and it really kicked my interest into high gear.

Last edited:

live shows, reallly;the above and 5/8/77 are good places to start (this show six years or so after, in the exact same venue, is pretty cool, with a different band composition and slightly different style); as are the live-albums Europe 1972 and Live Dead; we were actually just having this very discussion over in The Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread.

Album-wise, though, American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Aoxomoxoa, and a few others are genuinely worth a listen, but IMO, it is really, really, all about the live shows and all the more so when you're actually there, where I wasnt in 1969, obviously, but did see a handful of real Grateful Dead shows in my teens (one of which was terrible largely due to Jerry being doped out of his mind and Bobby drunk and spun out way too much) and shittons of newer incarnations of the band later on (particularly Phil; I've very rarely seen a Phil show that was bad because of Phil being off, TBH, and especially being intoxicated, although he can definitely play spun; but leave it to Bob fucking Weir. Love the guy but still.)

An old one I found in the car but has been cathartic - a release of tension for me lately. :)

Last edited:
live shows, reallly;the above and 5/8/77 are good places to start (this show six years or so after, in the exact same venue, is pretty cool, with a different band composition and slightly different style); as are the live-albums Europe 1972 and Live Dead; we were actually just having this very discussion over in The Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread.

Album-wise, though, American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Aoxomoxoa, and a few others are genuinely worth a listen, but IMO, it is really, really, all about the live shows and all the more so when you're actually there, where I wasnt in 1969, obviously, but did see a handful of real Grateful Dead shows in my teens (one of which was terrible largely due to Jerry being doped out of his mind and Bobby drunk and spun out way too much) and shittons of newer incarnations of the band later on (particularly Phil; I've very rarely seen a Phil show that was bad because of Phil being off, TBH, and especially being intoxicated, although he can definitely play spun; but leave it to Bob fucking Weir. Love the guy but still.)

Sweet thanks for those man, will check them all out xx

I know what you mean about live shows over albums, I was like that with Nirvana - mostly because they hadn't put that much recorded material out so the live shows or bootlegs were always full of gems / rarities / or just insane energy in their performances which didn't come across so much at times on albums. Although as they got bigger and bigger their later shows turned into a bit of a snore fest as they just went through the motions / Cobain dealt with worsening addiction / etc etc

Lately, I'm really digging the new Cash Savage and the Last Drinks record, One of Us.

I've been listening to a lot of Townes van Zandt lately.
This song in particular is just really perfect; lyrics, melody, beautiful finger picking guitar.

[video=youtube_share;f_MOwV2iWjw]http://youtu.be/f_MOwV2iWjw[/video]