• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What age is too young to start using ( abusing ) drugs?

I'll echo that there is never a good age to start ABUSING drugs. On the other hand, responsible recreational drug use is reasonable once you're an adult. The older you are when you start, the less chance you will have of becoming an addict. Using drugs before you are an adult will lead to a substantial reduction in the natural effectiveness of your reward system, and difficulty having willpower, as drugs will carve their pathways when your brain is still developing.

Also please be aware, no one starts using drugs believing they will become an addict. Everyone tells themselves they'll be able to control it, it won't happen to them. But it does happen, to a great many. Certainly there are some people who manage to have a healthy relationship with drugs their whole lives, but almost every one of those I have ever met started using drugs in their 20s or even their 30s.

I know you said you already have used some vicodins... I can't recommend strongly enough to not ever try any stronger opiates recreationally. Opiates are the easiest to get addicted to and the addiction is life-destroying. And with all the fentanyl around today, overdoses are very likely. Opiates are the worst mistake I ever made in my life, and that decision (when I was 20) has had a huge detrimental effect on my life ever since. Not a day goes by that I don't regret ever trying them. 100% not worth it. I also recommend against getting into stimulants. Psychedelics are the only class of drug I can really recommend, when you're old enough. They're the only drugs I have never regretted, they've had a positive effect on my life.
Overdoses are inevitable, not just likely anymore.

Everyone I know who has an opiate habit has overdosed three times at the very least- and they weren’t pretty.

Myself included.

Last edited:
Whatever it is you’re trying to solve with drugs I promise, there are better ways and there are solutions or ways out. Drugs are not the answer. There is hope, there are resources, there is help. And recovery *is* possible.

sorry dude, you've already started. welcome to reality.

its ok, i started when i was ten. so i understand a love of drugs, most definately, and i dont blame you.

but also, its important in life to always be real with yourself.

and the reality is, you've already started messing with drugs.

my advice, quit, go to NA, rehab, whatever it takes to keep you off them. even if you consider yourself not an addict of any sort.

as someone who started young and ruined my entire life, i always advice younger people against drugs entirely, they are not fun, they are not cool, its not enjoyable- it is *pure* hell. i promise, you do not want to go down this road.

and if you can't stop yourself from doing so, thats just a sign you need recovery. recovery is hard. sobriety is hard.

but being addicted to drugs, is harder. and the longer we use the longer we prolong our own suffering.

stay strong kid
Really appreciate the concern man. Gotten to the point where I've been on a painkiller binge for the past month and I'm starting to see the dangers. Personally i see drugs as a positive part of my life. I think they provide a decent (but short lived) outlet. Addiction sucks but it's just a small price to pay for the positive outcomes. I really enjoy drug culture and its amazing to meet people with similar thinking. For now shit hasn't goes been to serious and I've tried most of the popular hard drugs except for meth. Drugs can fuck up your life but they haven't fucked up mine ( yet ) I'll consider quitting once I see some serious negative changes but for now I'm just enjoying the ride. As a young guy just discovering this shit after being sheltered my whole life, i am having a blast unlocking this new part I my life. Thanks for the concern brother, it's much appreciated!

I've tried a good amount of psychedelics but they really weren't my thing. I just really hate hallucinating and shit. I really prefer stimulants and shit over psychs. Coke is by far the best stimulant in my opinion and if I had a choice between some lsd
tabs and a couple line of coke, I'm choosing come any day. But so far opioids are my top drug of choice ( except codeine ) I do vicodin during the week in lower doses and snort a shit ton of oxy on the weekends. Not really a safe schedule but I have a good time.

I'll echo that there is never a good age to start ABUSING drugs. On the other hand, responsible recreational drug use is reasonable once you're an adult. The older you are when you start, the less chance you will have of becoming an addict. Using drugs before you are an adult will lead to a substantial reduction in the natural effectiveness of your reward system, and difficulty having willpower, as drugs will carve their pathways when your brain is still developing.

Also please be aware, no one starts using drugs believing they will become an addict. Everyone tells themselves they'll be able to control it, it won't happen to them. But it does happen, to a great many. Certainly there are some people who manage to have a healthy relationship with drugs their whole lives, but almost every one of those I have ever met started using drugs in their 20s or even their 30s.

I know you said you already have used some vicodins... I can't recommend strongly enough to not ever try any stronger opiates recreationally. Opiates are the easiest to get addicted to and the addiction is life-destroying. And with all the fentanyl around today, overdoses are very likely. Opiates are the worst mistake I ever made in my life, and that decision (when I was 20) has had a huge detrimental effect on my life ever since. Not a day goes by that I don't regret ever trying them. 100% not worth it. I also recommend against getting into stimulants. Psychedelics are the only class of drug I can really recommend, when you're old enough. They're the only drugs I have never regretted, they've had a positive effect on my life.

You should never abuse drugs, u always have to control your usage despite your age otherwise you'll face the consequences eventually. If I had to choose an age to start USING DRUGS(NOT ABUSING) would be 18 at least for weed and 21-23 for the rest of drugs. Every drug should have an age restriction depending on their addictive nature and also wait til your brain is developed. For example MDMA should be for 21-23 youngsters imo and cocaine for a bit more mature guys like 25-27 at least. 😆 if u start the thread with the word "ABUSE", you're starting with the wrong foot mate. Drugs are there to experiment and then carry on with your life. If you start doing drugs with the idea to ABUSE them, it's gonna end pretty bad. Only misery and despair awaits for you.
Yeah the titles a bit misleading on my part lol. Shoulda thought that out before I wrote it. I was fucked when I wrote this thread lol.

I’m going under the assumption the OP is early teens and I think as older addicts we should tell him that drugs are a slippery slope, none of us started using drugs with the plan to become a addict….we should be discouraging the use all together in the name of harm reduction , sounds like he is already standing on the edge of that slope as it is…your gonna do what you want, I’m just some guy on the internet, but as some guy who has stood where you are right now and gone down that route I say turn around right now, you be glad you did later I guarantee

I’m going under the assumption the OP is early teens and I think as older addicts we should tell him that drugs are a slippery slope, none of us started using drugs with the plan to become a addict….we should be discouraging the use all together in the name of harm reduction , sounds like he is already standing on the edge of that slope as it is…your gonna do what you want, I’m just some guy on the internet, but as some guy who has stood where you are right now and gone down that route I say turn around right now, you be glad you did later I guarantee that
Shit dude I wish I was still in my early teens. I'm 24 at the moment lol. I was just curious on what this forum would have to say about this topic since its been on my mind for a while now.

I have nothing against the use of Psychedelics. The harmful drugs yes. I believe it’s important to differentiate between them rather than lumping them together like the governments.