• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc What Age Did You Start Using Any Substances (including tobacco, pot, a drink, etc)

Age?

• Under 12

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • 13-17

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • 18-24

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 25+

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Had my first cigarette at 12. Got caught and then didn't smoke anymore for a while. Turned 17 and tried coke with a coworker, then started smoking cigarettes again, started smoking weed, took ecstasy, mushrooms, and acid, and various pain pills. Started heroin at 19, speedballs at 19 and meth at 21.

I was around the same age as most mentioned which seems to be around age 12.

What i wonder is if the average age is getting lower or higher now?

It seemed to me that it was getting younger. But recently im not as sure anymore.

Took first puff on a Newport around age 10, but didn't really "smoke"' one until I was 14... bought my first pack just after I turned 16, became a "real" smoker around 17-18 but never had that much trouble cutting back or doing without... I dunno, guess I was spared a propensity to really get "addicted" to cigarettes (or other tobacco -- while down South, I did try out dipping). After the last 5 years primarily vaping, I find a cigarette so much more intense, and I really don't think I have any dependence on "nicotine" in the vape at all. (Without all the MAOIs in tobacco enhancing it, nicotine hasn't been proven to be "an addictive chemical" as the warning labels claim.)

Earliest memory of alcohol intoxication is around age 8-9 at the Italian family reunion of one of my dad's friends. For some reason, maybe boredom, I went around drinking the beer out of several plastic cups left sitting on tables, until I found myself feeling great while urinating with extreme intensity. Eventually, I sat down with some "teenagers" (who I normally would've been mortally afraid of) and started talked to them about COPS (the TV show)...even picked up the acoustic guitar they were strumming and banged away at it while they laughed ("this kid's drunk!"). Good times.

I started drinking regularly around age 13, but didn't really start binging until 16-17 and became a nightly drinker around 18-19 (which I remained for almost a decade with scarcely a night off, until I traded up to opiate addiction). First tried marijuana around age 14, didn't get much out of it; started to smoke periodically around 16, still didn't get much out of it; started to smoke seriously around 17-18, still didn't get much out of it; kept sampling it as I became an alcoholic and addict, now I got something out of it -- crippling guilt and fear! Actually, marijuana was my "anti-drug" (as the PSAs went): while high and hating myself, I almost always ended up making solemn resolutions to kick the alcohol/benzos/dope/etc. and start living right.

Earliest memory of opiate intoxication is around age 7-8 after I broke my leg in a bike crash. My mother fed me something bitter (Tylenol #3?) crushed up into vanilla ice cream. Half an hour later, I was nodding off on the couch, eyes closed, watching my own TV shows in my head, feeling good -- feeling better than good, actually.... a feeling I never forgot even though I was separated for a while (until 15-16, when I started dipping into my dad's hoarded Vicodin).

Last edited:
First mikes hard lemonade I was 13, first bowl I smoked I was 15.

Didn’t become a heavy user till 16, then smoked weed everyday for the next 4 years. In 4 years the only time I took more than 24 hours off was because I was on vacation out of the country (Ireland couldn’t find weed).

Besides that I literally smoked everyday for 4 years

started smoking cigarettes with 15, cannabis with 16 and lsd. the rest followed shortly after. i had a girlfriend once who used speed at the age of 11 without knowing it was speed. but she still got a good graduation from school.

16.5 year's old during summer.

Had a vacation job, cutting Roses, with very good salary and nice chick's. And got my first 2 drug experience's there in this order.

First a Nicotine rush, as the joint was rolled with tobacco. And about 5 to 10 minutes later the THC, in form of a really potent Skunk, kicked in.

The set and setting was great. After work, in the grass on the side hillway of a busy road.

16.5 year's old during summer.

Had a vacation job, cutting Roses, with very good salary and nice chick's. And got my first 2 drug experience's there in this order.

First a Nicotine rush, as the joint was rolled with tobacco. And about 5 to 10 minutes later the THC, in form of a really potent Skunk, kicked in.

The set and setting was great. After work, in the grass on the side hillway of a busy road.
My first time smoking pot I thought it was raining and it wasn't

Did you know that the rate of developing an SUD (substance use disorder) is 24% if you start under 18? 18 and over that reduces to 4%?

Brain development continues until 25 on average, particularly the prefrontal cortex and frontal lobes responsible for impulse control and decision making.

I personally detest the term 'substance abuse disorder'.

Firstly, everything we ingest is a substance.

Secondly, at what point does it become abuse?

Thirdly, what defines that abuse as being a disorder?

It's all just fuckin bollocks spoken by so called 'professionals' to justify their position of authority. They can all just fuck off in my opinion.

Cunts.

I personally detest the term 'substance abuse disorder'.

Firstly, everything we ingest is a substance.

Secondly, at what point does it become abuse?

Thirdly, what defines that abuse as being a disorder?

It's all just fuckin bollocks spoken by so called 'professionals' to justify their position of authority. They can all just fuck off in my opinion.

Cunts.
Abuse isn’t a term in the dsm, it’s substance use. Addictions are disorderly undeniably, or to have one is truly a disorder, mentally. And what does classifying something in a way you didn’t grow up with or hear through people who clearly aren’t professional or in authority, exert someone upwardly in authority or prodessionalism? What does your point have anything to do with my topic? If I said addiction, it would still be the same fucking fact and true as fuck, you…?

So what’s your point? You’re a junkie? Your point is.

Do you guys still respect the ppl who sold you coke and ketaminr when you were 16 and they were 35 or 40? What if they were only 25?

Do you guys still respect the ppl who sold you coke and ketaminr when you were 16 and they were 35 or 40? What if they were only 25?
Why would I care? They were only 25, if that. If they were 35 or 40, well okay. I was 16 and clearly able to make that decision. Why would I spend time thinking about how young I was amd how old they were as if to pretend victim for doing the drugs I clearly wanted, and went out of my way to buy?

Why would I care? They were only 25, if that. If they were 35 or 40, well okay. I was 16 and clearly able to make that decision. Why would I spend time thinking about how young I was amd how old they were as if to pretend victim for doing the drugs I clearly wanted, and went out of my way to buy?
Okay went out of your way. Personally,

I'd never turn down a free bump of K, even from a 16 year old.

But would I sell him cocaine? No way. free lsd? Maybe I harbor no judgments to anyone who gave me psychedelics

I've just recently got to the point where I wouldn't fuck a 17 or 18 year old so do understand (mostly for my own benefit when you get closer the 19non the "scale")

And yeah 30 or 40' different story, your right, but most of them were IME.

Last edited:
Okay went out of your way. Personally,

I'd never turn down a free bump of K, even from a 16 year old.

But would I sell him cocaine? No way. free lsd? Maybe I harbor no judgments to anyone who gave me psychedelics

I've just recently got to the point where I wouldn't fuck a 17 or 18 year old so do understand (mostly for my own benefit when you get closer the 19non the "scale")

And yeah 30 or 40' different story, your right, but most of them were IME.
I wouldn’t sell either. But that wasn’t the question. Nor was anything free. I just don’t see any sense in harbouring I’ll will to people from almost 15 years ago in my case.

I don’t feel great about people who sell to kids. If I answered to “how do you feel about adults selling to kids” ly answer would be the same at 25 as 35-40. It’s a really shut thing to do. I’m not mad at people who sold to me personally that long ago though, so you get the different hairs I’m splitting here?

I wouldn’t sell either. But that wasn’t the question. Nor was anything free. I just don’t see any sense in harbouring I’ll will to people from almost 15 years ago in my case.

I don’t feel great about people who sell to kids. If I answered to “how do you feel about adults selling to kids” ly answer would be the same at 25 as 35-40. It’s a really shut thing to do. I’m not mad at people who sold to me personally that long ago though, so you get the different hairs I’m splitting here?
Yeah I'm not *that* mad either, it wS all my own doing. But a little pissed now that it's come to the forefront of my consciousness. Turning anyone on to meth or even heroin is fucked up, no matter thr age and any addict should knownthat so "misery loves company" is no fucking excuse.

It's like my saying "drug addicts hide their use to protect their junkie wives "

Yeah I'm not *that* mad either, it wS all my own doing. But a little pissed now that it's come to the forefront of my consciousness
People who take advantage of kids are really fucked up. Im not sure 16 is the best age to exemplify as being a child, but I get it. 16 is still a kid in most cases either socially or legally. Anything less I’d say it’s absolutely pathetic garbage humans who are adults and sell or do anything with under 16 drugs wise and a lot of other ways that aren’t being an example to or just simply not initiating into the adult world in any fucking way let alone taking advantage.

Kids should not be doing any hard drugs or anything… psychedelics included.

I remember being 16 though and how I would’ve been adamant that I was old enough. And kind of was. Kind of.

People who take advantage of kids are really fucked up. Im not sure 16 is the best age to exemplify as being a child, but I get it. 16 is still a kid in most cases either socially or legally. Anything less I’d say it’s absolutely pathetic garbage humans who are adults and sell or do anything with under 16 drugs wise and a lot of other ways that aren’t being an example to or just simply not initiating into the adult world in any fucking way let alone taking advantage.

Kids should not be doing any hard drugs or anything… psychedelics included.

I remember being 16 though and how I would’ve been adamant that I was old enough. And kind of was. Kind of.
My first hit of acid I was 15 but he was only 18.