• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What’s up with my tolerance? Am I the only one?

Hey @Bag84

Basically, what you're describing is a phenomenon known as the "Kindling Effect". The nomenclature is generally used to refer to sedative-hypnotic drugs like Alcohol and Benzodiazepines, but it's my firm belief that it is a more general phenomenon associated with being dependent upon drugs, not just sedative-hypnotics.

Most people who use Opioids won't develop any kind of withdrawal syndrome until they've been using for weeks or months. With Benzodiazepines, I feel this process happens a little more quickly. Once you have developed a tolerance and withdrawn, it is typical for one to develop a tolerance more quickly and for that subsequent withdrawal experience to be more severe. If I were to use Heroin for 3-4 days right now, I would expect a nearly full-blown withdrawal syndrome.

So yea, I think that you're just becoming re-dependent upon these drugs every time you pick up your prescription. You're not alone in this. It's pretty much universal from what I have read and experienced. It's one of those things, however, that "mainstream" medicine is not going to focus on along with stuff like Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Side-bar, I'm pretty sure that if PAWS and its true nature were understood by people, the whole 30-90 days rehab rackets would be bankrupt nearly overnight i.e. they can't actually fix you in such a short time.
Min 90 days.Then starts the actual healing of the brain.It takes times yes ...

Thank me later...

im finding out im so tolerant too everything except stims which i detest, prolly could take a tranq dart and still go flirt with other soccer Milfs, enjoyed your post and yeah you could use 20 lbs prolly, but i hate being so tolerant, even have to give me extra anesthetics, hear red heads are either less or more tolerant i forget
Don't worry about your weight. My ex-husband was 6 ft and 122 lbs and still is. I have 5 kids. My oldest son is also tall and skinny and my youngest is also 6 ft and 118 lbs. They look slender with clothes on, yes with a bathing suit on, people used to think my ex had aids. Everyone is different--my youngest eats well more than I, but metabolism must be the issue. None of them have ever had any weight related problems. They never lose or gain--my middle 3 are like me---tall, but more like 150-160 lbs. I am 130---but I'm 5'7". I always wanted to be tiny but I do have a larger boned body, like my middle 3 and size 10 feet. My wds last week and 3 weeks before I lost 20 lbs which was the only good thing about the wds. You will gain a tolerance and will always have withdrawal problems if you take the oxy and the Clonazepam for more than 2 weeks. You cannot let your family get your meds. carry them with you--always know where they are. Your family--and I won't even pretend to know how many and which ones, should know better than taking something which I presume you need for pain and anxiety. They also could OD if they take it infrequently and then take a large amt.

Hey @Bag84

Basically, what you're describing is a phenomenon known as the "Kindling Effect". The nomenclature is generally used to refer to sedative-hypnotic drugs like Alcohol and Benzodiazepines, but it's my firm belief that it is a more general phenomenon associated with being dependent upon drugs, not just sedative-hypnotics.

Most people who use Opioids won't develop any kind of withdrawal syndrome until they've been using for weeks or months. With Benzodiazepines, I feel this process happens a little more quickly. Once you have developed a tolerance and withdrawn, it is typical for one to develop a tolerance more quickly and for that subsequent withdrawal experience to be more severe. If I were to use Heroin for 3-4 days right now, I would expect a nearly full-blown withdrawal syndrome.

So yea, I think that you're just becoming re-dependent upon these drugs every time you pick up your prescription. You're not alone in this. It's pretty much universal from what I have read and experienced. It's one of those things, however, that "mainstream" medicine is not going to focus on along with stuff like Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Side-bar, I'm pretty sure that if PAWS and its true nature were understood by people, the whole 30-90 days rehab rackets would be bankrupt nearly overnight i.e. they can't actually fix you in such a short time.
Amen to that--If I hadn't been in rehab for 8 months back when I was drinking and doing coke--I certainly would have gone back to using immediately. In fact, it was all I thought about for months---3 weeks in a rehab now for anyone--waste of money. I had my daughter in one 12 yrs ago for alcohol for 6 weeks. It was right before her 18th birthday. I wanted to get her in one before she was considered an adult. I thought they would keep her longer (ins. and money) she stayed clean for a week or two when she got out. I did stay clean for over 25 yrs.
--I still haven't touched alcohol or pot since the day before rehab. My last drink was a budweiser--I remember once when I was at an AA meeting in the beginning--there was an addict telling her story--and she was a pain pill addict. I remember even now that I thought if I ever slipped it would be pills --and I was right--that was 20+ years ago. I remember reading my in-laws RX book--you know the one that lists every pill - they put a new one out every year or so. I was looking for a med that I could take that would be tolerated by AA for pain. Nothing of course--my health issues had just started then. Of course, now the oxys have taken over my life and have been for 12 yrs. Addiction is definitely in my blood and bones and everywhere--I'm probably made of it. I wish I had never started them now. If I just knew then exactly what I know now maybe I could have saved myself. If there is any way you can stop the oxys now do it. It has been a ride I wish I had never gotten on.

Amen to that--If I hadn't been in rehab for 8 months back when I was drinking and doing coke--I certainly would have gone back to using immediately. In fact, it was all I thought about for months---3 weeks in a rehab now for anyone--waste of money. I had my daughter in one 12 yrs ago for alcohol for 6 weeks. It was right before her 18th birthday. I wanted to get her in one before she was considered an adult. I thought they would keep her longer (ins. and money) she stayed clean for a week or two when she got out. I did stay clean for over 25 yrs.
--I still haven't touched alcohol or pot since the day before rehab. My last drink was a budweiser--I remember once when I was at an AA meeting in the beginning--there was an addict telling her story--and she was a pain pill addict. I remember even now that I thought if I ever slipped it would be pills --and I was right--that was 20+ years ago. I remember reading my in-laws RX book--you know the one that lists every pill - they put a new one out every year or so. I was looking for a med that I could take that would be tolerated by AA for pain. Nothing of course--my health issues had just started then. Of course, now the oxys have taken over my life and have been for 12 yrs. Addiction is definitely in my blood and bones and everywhere--I'm probably made of it. I wish I had never started them now. If I just knew then exactly what I know now maybe I could have saved myself. If there is any way you can stop the oxys now do it. It has been a ride I wish I had never gotten on.
How much are you taking now if you don’t mind me asking and what did you start out at?

One of the worst times of my life was a winter I had few connects, I’d get maybe a 20mg oxy a week eat it then spend the rest in withdrawals. It was horrible. Even at that low dose and so infrequently I was feeling like shit all the time.

-GC
X2, I've lived like this for a year shooting up 3 days a week then the other 4 days wds with comfort drugs just to get by 🔥 . Like someone said "once you've been through wds a few times, the honeymoon is over". Even if u do only once a week buy don't let the wds finish before you ATTEMPT TO CHIP. You're gonna WD bad. The Kindling effect is a bitch.

In fact consuming your script this way makes you experience worse wds than taking em in doses spaced out....btw if you've got to a point like this...
You're just torturing yourself, at least get a safe box for ur pills so nobody steals ur opioid medication.

Thank me later...
schitts creek love GIF by CBC

People need to realize that the problem is NOT the addiction itself, it's the fact that addicts don't have enough supply due to prohibition and absurdly high prices. When Opium was still legal in the US, approximately 10% of the population were heavily dependent on Opium but it wasn't seen as problematic because people could just go to the pharmacy, buy another bottle of Laudanum (which was cheaper than alcohol) and function like any non-addicted member of society and still be productive. People did not perceive it as an "epidemic" because the culture was simply different back in the days (actually for thousands of years until the narcotics act was passed in the 20th century). So the problem isn't addiction to a substance that is 100% non-toxic. The issue is that we have been indoctrinated by use of framed language to believe that opioids are somehow a "dangerous" substance. Just look at the medical literature and their use of phrases like "hijacks the brain". Opioids do not hijack anything. The poppy plant's chemicals resemble the chemicals of our own endorphine system so closely, that one should actually come to the conclusion that this plant has been created for the sole purpose of being used by us. The ancients didn't call Poppies "plant of the gods" or "the plant of joy" for no reason. The ancient greeks grew poppies in their own garden as a home remedy for pain and cultures in the middle east were known for using Opium for hedonistic as well as for religio-ritualistic purposes. There was no such thing as substance "abuse" because such a definition is completely arbitrary and a rather modern phenomenon. The reason we all suffer is not because of our opioid addiction, it's because of the ridiculous war on drugs and all the financial, emotional and social troubles that come with it. So much unneccessary suffering for absolutely nothing! If society was to simply change their mental models and cultural perceptions none of us would have a problem. We could do opioids AND pursue a career, have a family and lead stable lives...

People need to realize that the problem is NOT the addiction itself, it's the fact that addicts don't have enough supply due to prohibition and absurdly high prices. When Opium was still legal in the US, approximately 10% of the population were heavily dependent on Opium but it wasn't seen as problematic because people could just go to the pharmacy, buy another bottle of Laudanum (which was cheaper than alcohol) and function like any non-addicted member of society and still be productive. People did not perceive it as an "epidemic" because the culture was simply different back in the days (actually for thousands of years until the narcotics act was passed in the 20th century). So the problem isn't addiction to a substance that is 100% non-toxic. The issue is that we have been indoctrinated by use of framed language to believe that opioids are somehow a "dangerous" substance. Just look at the medical literature and their use of phrases like "hijacks the brain". Opioids do not hijack anything. The poppy plant's chemicals resemble the chemicals of our own endorphine system so closely, that one should actually come to the conclusion that this plant has been created for the sole purpose of being used by us. The ancients didn't call Poppies "plant of the gods" or "the plant of joy" for no reason. The ancient greeks grew poppies in their own garden as a home remedy for pain and cultures in the middle east were known for using Opium for hedonistic as well as for religio-ritualistic purposes. There was no such thing as substance "abuse" because such a definition is completely arbitrary and a rather modern phenomenon. The reason we all suffer is not because of our opioid addiction, it's because of the ridiculous war on drugs and all the financial, emotional and social troubles that come with it. So much unneccessary suffering for absolutely nothing! If society was to simply change their mental models and cultural perceptions none of us would have a problem. We could do opioids AND pursue a career, have a family and lead stable lives...
The ancient knows opium from neolithic times.Theres a lot opium stores in Roman empire too and ancient authors did not mention anything about massive drug addiction,but wrote about people abuse alcohol.First known opium epidemic was this in China in the late 19 th century created by British empire.So obvious this a modern phenomen.May be its full fitted in mass consumer culture from one part,role model plays also some part and maybe deep social contrast in society.Its a plague of modern society and biggest consumer US.Poor and rich take drugs.War on drugs is a war to buy,distribute drugs plus takes this enormous budgets.Its against ordinary human right to seek and find relieve.