• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Wellbutrin For Depression

I guess I got my hopes up while reading thru user reviews for Wellbutrin, some said it helped immediately, some said a month or two, then some said it didn't work at all. It could be working just not enough.

When I was withdrawaling I told myself id give anything to physically feel good and can deal with the mental issues, but now that I feel fine physically I don't want to deal with depression/sadness I'm having.

The Gabapentin does seem to work at stopping negative thoughts shortly after taking it.

Its day 5 no loperamide. Still taking Kratom as few times a day because i feel like im still withdrawaling. Im hoping by 7 days ill start feeling better. When i tried going CT off Loperamide 3 weeks ago by day 5 the withdrawals were so bad I had to start back up again.

Stopped the Clonidine since I started it 3 weeks ago so figure its been long enough and don't want to become dependent on it. Same with the Gabapentin so I'm stopping it also.

The sadness/depression does seem to be getting better so maybe the Wellbutrin is working, or its just time passing and im getting over it/accepting it.

I did have the bright idea to take a 60mg ER tab of Dex yesterday along with the Wellbutrin figuring it would be like taking Auvelity and turns out it wasnt so bright. Just a bad feeling and took 16hrs to wear off and feel normal again. Will not be doing that ever again.

Wellbutrin is a funny one

It costantly has mixed reviews (I know everyone is different and everyone reacts different) but Wellbutrin seems to be the one drug that is confusing.

In theory it sounds great- extra energy, horny, happy, life changing etc but you rarely hear that.

Day 11 taking 150mg XL Wellbutrin and wouldn't say its life changing or a miracle drug. The sadness/depression does seem to be much less, im not crying or having negative thoughts lately.

Day 7 of no Loperamide. Still taking Kratom 1.5-2g doses 4-5 times a day. When I feel anxiety/restless ill take a 300mg gabapentin which I do feel helps calming me down. I take the kratom when I start feeling cold and/or chills on my back thinking the Loperamide withdrawals may be coming on. Since tapering and then stopping the Loperamide I have been pretty comfortable from the meds.

I have no idea how long the withdrawals from Loperamide will last with me. Im reading stories of people saying it lasted then 5 weeks, 8 weeks, 2 months.... To me thats insane since opiates last what, 7 days?

Important note - am not a doctor and am just giving opinion not advice!

If you have access to methylphenidate and pregabalin (gabapentin will do) then taking 60-80mg of methylphenidate and 50-150mg of pregabalin will be way better antidepressant/anxyolitic then bupropion. Just know your tolerance and don't take it daily for too long.

I had to look up what methylphenidate is, looks like its a controlled med and I wouldnt want to take it. I basically just felt I needed something to keep myself from ...... I think the Wellbutrin is working good enough.

I had to spend a long weekend in jail after my husband passed. I was drinking and taking benzos and would have fought anyone
The girls in jail would snort it and they said they got a rush but I never tried it
Antidepressants work differently for everyone so hard to say what would work for you

When I was going through the worst of my depression in my early 20s, I really liked Wellbutrin! I felt it definitely stabilized my mood and gave me back some energy. I always took it in the morning since I have insomnia, so I didn't have a problem with it keeping me up at night. I also appreciated that I didn't get sexual side effects, which was a huge problem for me on ssris and snris. It helps some people quit smoking, but that was not the case for me...

I don't take psych meds anymore but I'd recommend trying the Wellbutrin and seeing how you like it - that rx really helped me out during a particularly rough couple of years.

I had to spend a long weekend in jail after my husband passed. I was drinking and taking benzos and would have fought anyone
The girls in jail would snort it and they said they got a rush but I never tried it
Antidepress

I was prescribed Wellbutrin years ago, I forget if it was after getting out of a 7 day inpatient detox or when I was tapering off suboxone, its not really important. I remember trying to snort Wellbutrin, the XL tabs aren't easily crushed up so had to grind the tab into powder. It was pretty horrible, nose stinging and gross taste in the back of my throat. Only tried it once and said no way after that.

When I was going through the worst of my depression in my early 20s, I really liked Wellbutrin! I felt it definitely stabilized my mood and gave me back some energy. I always took it in the morning since I have insomnia, so I didn't have a problem with it keeping me up at night. I also appreciated that I didn't get sexual side effects, which was a huge problem for me on ssris and snris. It helps some people quit smoking, but that was not the case for me...

I don't take psych meds anymore but I'd recommend trying the Wellbutrin and seeing how you like it - that rx really helped me out during a particularly rough couple of years.

I take it right away upon waking. Ive been having insomnia for the past few weeks which I figure is due to stopping the Loperamide. Last night was the first night in weeks that I slept from 2am to past when the sun came up and I was able to just lay in bed not thinking about anything feeling comfortable.

Seems Wellbutrin is a subtle drug, half the time I'm wondering if its even working and wanting to double the dose, but then at times ill be smiling and happy and feel it is working. The main reason I like taking it is I don't feel any negative effects. I do seem to have some...odd.. sexual side effects that I wouldn't call negative, its more like weird cravings.

I dont have any real experience with antidepressants except for one thing that stands out in my mind. Years ago I when I was younger I was renting a small apt from an older guy I worked with at the time, really cool guy we got along great which is why he invited me to move into his house basically. He had a family, wife and 13yr old step son. He didnt have his drivers license due to dui so his step son asked me to give him a ride to his baseball practice because his mother was running late so I said sure. When I got back home Dan was in the front yard screaming throwing lawn chairs around totally mad at me, accusing me of trying to take his step son from him, it was insane. The wife came home and was about to have us both arrested. So I just left to let things cool down. I get back and the next day Dan was totally apologetic, he said he ran out of his prozac and was able to refill his script later that day. Not sure how true that is but I never saw him like that before and do know he was taking prozac because I always say the pill bottles and he even offered it to me before. After that I thought drugs like that are not for me.

When I was talking to my current Dr. which is thru telehealth she first mentioned Wellbutrin but then tried to back track mentioning seizures and said Prozac instead, I said no way and ill take the Wellbutrin.

Day 8 no Loperamide. Pretty sure im done with it and have zero need/want to take it ever again.

Slept like garbage last night, restless my mind wouldn't shut off but at least it wasn't depressing thoughts.

Seems like the Wellbutrin has me thinking about the moment I'm in, instead of thinking of the past which has been causing me great distress.

Odd thing happened yesterday afternoon, I was having some anxiety and gabapentin seems to really calm me down so i took a 300mg cap and then an hour later took another 300mg cap. In that time i felt like my back was starting to sweat and I was getting chills so i took 1.5g Kratom and then about 30 min later took another 1.5g Kratom. An hour or two later i had to go to the bank and as i was driving I felt euphoria, the feeling being wrapped in a warm blanket, enjoying the music that was on. Then I thought shit, I took too much and abusing drugs is what got me here in the first place. I was surprised at how little I took, at least I think its small doses compared to what I read some people take.

I was taking 2g doses and now I knocked it down to 1.5g doses at least. Its easy with the capsules since they are .5g each. I have some empty caps and kratom powder and a scale I can always make some lower doses.

I also noticed im just moping around when I'm home, just sit there and wish I felt better. then ill go out somewhere like shopping and get in a very good mood. I got the idea I should start going to AA meetings which I think will help. There's a few around me that I went to a few years ago when I stopped drinking alcohol.

Day 8 no Loperamide. Pretty sure im done with it and have zero need/want to take it ever again.

Slept like garbage last night, restless my mind wouldn't shut off but at least it wasn't depressing thoughts.

Seems like the Wellbutrin has me thinking about the moment I'm in, instead of thinking of the past which has been causing me great distress.

Odd thing happened yesterday afternoon, I was having some anxiety and gabapentin seems to really calm me down so i took a 300mg cap and then an hour later took another 300mg cap. In that time i felt like my back was starting to sweat and I was getting chills so i took 1.5g Kratom and then about 30 min later took another 1.5g Kratom. An hour or two later i had to go to the bank and as i was driving I felt euphoria, the feeling being wrapped in a warm blanket, enjoying the music that was on. Then I thought shit, I took too much and abusing drugs is what got me here in the first place. I was surprised at how little I took, at least I think its small doses compared to what I read some people take.

I was taking 2g doses and now I knocked it down to 1.5g doses at least. Its easy with the capsules since they are .5g each. I have some empty caps and kratom powder and a scale I can always make some lower doses.

I also noticed im just moping around when I'm home, just sit there and wish I felt better. then ill go out somewhere like shopping and get in a very good mood. I got the idea I should start going to AA meetings which I think will help. There's a few around me that I went to a few years ago when I stopped drinking alcohol.
Happy you're feeling better. Getting out helps. I make myself go for a walk every day. Even something that simple improves my mood

Why do I seem to be alone in examining the product literature before starting anything new?
Class.... atypical antidepressant.
I immediately assumed atypical would equate to "may not work for everybody".
I had a hell of a time persuading both my GP and a shrink to end up with a prescription for Bupropion. Let me lay out a story both hilarious and mortifying (For me at least).
I've been a stoner for 50 years... I was self medicating with weed for chronic pain as soon as I discovered cannabis during 1st year uni.
Fast forward several years to when my dad died and watch me slip into the vortex of depression. I was first offered Zoloft by my GP...but it made me quite uncomfortable and I only lasted a few weeks before I requested a change and was put on amitriptyline. It may or may not have done anything... I was smoking weed concurrently and it had already long been my go to mood stabiliser, and I gave up amitriptyline after a few months.... Cold turkey... Weed seemed to prevent any discontinuation effects. I managed to lose my entire peer group during that first round of circumstance induced depression.
Fast forward through 20 years of Sex, Drugs and R'n'R. That is the most entertaining parts, but hardly relevant to the thread.
When Mum died I had a repeat performance of the slide down the whirlpool, but this time they gave me venlafaxine.
On my starting dose I ended up circling the building in a suicidal fixation after only 2 weeks. After a few weeks of this I cold turkeyed that one too. That was a bit of a misjudgment on my part....
The immediate symptoms were heart palpitations and sexual dysfunction. Quite probably a few others, but weed steered me through losing another group of friends thanks to the black dog and life returned to my usual patterns of wildly improbable events and dodging bullets. (Anyone remember the Milat brothers?..that was an easy one).
As the song says... " I like the little thrill you get standing on the edge of death"
Let's zip through my middle years...when the cause of my original chronic pain.."hEDS" they call it now...started to show it's claws.
I never liked heroin, (not that I ever refused it) but first got morphine after I popped an inferior cerebral artery and woke up in hospital.
An electric red spiderweb poured from my skull and erased pain on the way down to my feet. I realised I had never been pain free before.
Unfortunately the duration halved after each dose.
I had already been a patient at pain clinic thanks to a spinal listhesis and been through the Gabapentinoids, and partial opioid agonists without them doing bugger all. But I should have expected that from my lifetime belief that the words "analgesia" and "painkiller" were just abstract concepts. Aspirin was fabulous for killing a fever, paracetamol can prevent migraine if taken during aura, but was useless once pain started and ibuprofen sure eased swelling but never helped me with pain., but Morphia...that was a surprise.
So I spent 15 years on an escalating dose of Oxycodone with a slowly escalating dose of amitriptyline for sleep and pain.
I ended up banging my oxy after my "legislated opioid pathway" turned into a cul de sac and I didn't get rotated onto Dilaudid.
I started jumping through hoops to switch back to Buprenorphine despite its proven lack of analgesia for me... thought a subcutaneous depot would straighten me out and be simpler. The pharmacotherapist, when I showed up withdrawing as requested, read through my paperwork then decided "I didn't fit the program parameters" and refused..
And of course I had finished off my oxy script before setting this up and had no GP appointment to restart it.
So I spent 2 hours waiting in a city
ER to be triaged, then 6 hours of being sent to the back of the queue, before giving up and driving home shaking. I found a few forgotten codeine that took the edge off enough to sleep and went to my country hospital ER where I was the only patient in ER and had oxys to get me to a GP appointment.

Last edited:
I just lost the last half of the post...grrrr
My next pain clinic bumped my amitriptyline to 75mg
After a few more months I told my GP I was IVU and was instantly on Buprenorphine.
I took Suboxone sublinguals to max dose and tried a month injection.
Zero pain relief but no withdrawal.
I started taper immediately then 2 weeks later I found out my goddaughter had been murdered by her ex...the day before my re-employment interview.(A job I'd held for 12 years but the position had to be closed before promotion)
Needless to say... I froze and screwed the interview.
Trigger the next suicidal ideation.
I started getting a heap of odd symptoms.
I got myself a psychiatric med review and begged for a change of antidepressant. I had preselected Bupropion because of my original reaction to SSRI and SNRIs and spent an hour and a half with a stunningly hot psychiatrist. (I think that, and her not signalling the processes behind her questions my have biased my responses)
She suspected some of my symptoms were cannabis toxicity, but with a 50 year habit I think my tolerance made that unlikely
She gave me product information for Bupropion and Duloxetine, her suggestion, but first suggested I increase my amitriptyline dose to 100mg.
I tried that and went limbic.
Sense of inescapable impending doom.
After only 2 days I went back to my original dose, 75mg and lost the doom.
I started researching drug interactions for my pharmacopeia and spent some time in the US medical library. I first found an article about someone on a third of my dose getting serotonin syndrome precipitated by Buprenorphine.
Then I found another article about insidious onset serotonin toxicity.
Lo and behold, I had each and every minor syndrome but was missing a major diagnostic criteria... hyperreflexia.
Some symptoms don't show up with slow onset...
On top of that...I have L4/5 spinal damage and bilateral Babinski sign, so it can't be tested below my waist, and nobody thought to test upper body or ocular clonus until I'd nearly finished my Buprenorphine taper.
I had also multiplied my cannabis intake for pain relief and until you start dabbing pure THC and it's serotonergic affects overwhelm, cannabis is a great spasmolytic.
So I cut my dose to 50mg
Having been forced to do my own diagnostics I decided to taper amitriptyline further, and cut my dose further to 25mg, and started watching for new symptoms.
Apart from strange sneezing and insomnia...nothing scary.
I told my GP my conclusions and he concurred, but wouldn't prescribe bupropion before talking to the shrink.
She rang today and agreed reluctantly to let me try Wellbutrin.

So... My script is waiting at the chemist and I'm back on Targin.

MISSION SUCCESS!.. But what a struggle.

If you reached the end of my epistle...my apologies for its extended waffle, and thanks for your patience.

When I start something new I try to research it, see what it supposed to do, read reviews on it. I was prescribed Wellbutrin years ago when trying to taper off Suboxone and while I don't really remember the effects I do know it it wasn't a bad experience.

My memory is foggy probably due to always being on something. No street drugs though, never had a desire to go that route. i just remembered that around the time I was taking Wellbutrin years ago I did try and go talk to therapists, I tried two a guy and a woman. Both didn't last that long, maybe went 3-4 times each and just wasn't feeling it. I think I felt my issues and thoughts in my head were way too much to tell these people, like they would look at me in a negative way.

I never really experienced constant physical pain or mental depression, but then again past my 20's I was always abusing pain killers, on Suboxone, alcohol, and my last addiction taking high doses Loperamide. To me those substances probably acted as anti-depressant's, made me content with life. Sure I got sad/depressed so would just take more of what I was addicted to.

This time when I started Wellbutrin on March 15 I didn't even think it was working, day 1, day 2, day 3 nothing. It was like I wasn't even taking anything, which I guess is better than taking something and feeling negative effects. But slowly every day my negative thoughts seemed to be lesser and lesser, negative thoughts still popped in my head but they quickly left and I was more focused on the present, what I was doing at the moment. I don't know if its due to the Wellbutrin or its just time passing and I'm getting over it.

I don't know if anti-depressants work differently for people that have been diagnosed with depression I general vs in my situation I think its from stopping a drug I was addicted to. I just want something temporary while hoping my brain changes back to normal.

Day # 16 no Loperamide. Im taking 150mg XL Wellbutrin every morning, Kratom 1.5g 3-4 times a day, gabapentin 300mg twice a day. I think im finally getting better sleep at night. id usually get maybe 1hr sleep in bed then mostly lay on the couch at night dozing off watching movies. Last night I took a 0.1 Clonidine only and slept 6hrs in bed, woke and was able to just lay there not really thinking about anything. Im going to try the same thing tonight, no Kratom or gabapentin at night.

I don't want to be on anything. Kratom and Gabapentin seem to help with negative symptoms. From my research/readings ive seen people say withdrawals from Loperamide last quit a long time. Also the Wellbutrin i want to keep taking, at least get a refill and see how im feeling.

I would like to hear peoples opinions on Wellbutrin for helping with depression. I have a Dr.s visit and was going to ask for a script.

I recently decided to stop with taking high doses Loperamide, have been taking it 10+ years. I would pop a handful and be good for the day, content and kind of numb to the world. I have been successfully lowering the dose, now im down to 1/4 what i was normally taking.

Around 3 weeks ago all of a sudden i started having thoughts of things that happened 20yrs ago and its really getting to me. i wake up from having dreams and im crying, Ill have negative thoughts pop up in my head and i cant stop dwelling on them. I try to take my mind off things by keeping myself busy but the thoughts just linger and no signs of getting better. I feel ok physically, but the depression is getting to me.
It's brave of you to reach out for advice and share your journey towards healing. Wellbutrin (bupropion) is a medication commonly used to treat depression and has a different mechanism of action compared to many other antidepressants, which primarily work on serotonin. Wellbutrin primarily affects dopamine and norepinephrine, which can make it a good option for individuals who haven't found relief with other medications, or who are concerned about the sexual side effects often associated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).

Regarding your specific situation, it's notable that you've been taking high doses of loperamide for a significant period. Loperamide is an over-the-counter medication primarily used to reduce diarrhea, but at high doses, it can produce euphoria or a content state by crossing the blood-brain barrier, which is not its intended use. Reducing or stopping high doses of loperamide after prolonged use can lead to withdrawal symptoms, including emotional and psychological effects such as depression or anxiety, as your brain chemistry adjusts to the absence of the substance.

The symptoms you're experiencing, such as intrusive thoughts of past events, difficulty controlling negative thoughts, and emotional distress, can be part of the withdrawal process but also signify underlying issues that need to be addressed, potentially including depression.

Here's how Wellbutrin might fit into your situation:

• Efficacy for Depression: Wellbutrin is often prescribed for depression and can be particularly helpful for those experiencing lethargy or a lack of interest in daily activities since it tends to be more stimulating than other antidepressants.
  • Low Risk of Certain Side Effects: It generally has a lower risk of sexual side effects and weight gain compared to other antidepressants, which can be a significant consideration for many individuals.
  • Substance Use Considerations: It's crucial to discuss your history of substance use with your doctor, as this can influence the choice of medication. Wellbutrin has a somewhat complicated relationship with substance use disorders; while it can be beneficial for some, it may not be the best choice for everyone.
  • Withdrawal and Emotional Processing: The process of lowering your loperamide use and the emotional resurgence you're experiencing might be linked. Wellbutrin could potentially help with depressive symptoms, but therapy or counseling might also be beneficial in processing the emotions and memories resurfacing after years of being numbed.
When discussing Wellbutrin with your doctor, it will be important to provide a full picture of your health history, including your use of loperamide, any other substances, and your experiences with depression and emotional processing. This will help your doctor recommend the best treatment plan, which may include medication, therapy, or a combination of both.

Finally, remember that recovery and healing are deeply personal and can take time. It's commendable that you're taking steps to address your health and well-being, and seeking professional guidance is a positive move forward.

I will say I am not noticing negative sexual side effects with Wellbutrin, in fact things have gotten much better. The past few years I was having issues with ED to the point I was using Cialis for it. I personally prefer Cialis since Viagra gives me strange vision issues. Now since taking the Wellbutrin I have not used/needed Cialis at all.

I wonder if the years of Loperamide abuse had something to do with the ED. Plus I'm getting older so figured that factored into things.
I guess I wont know until I stop the Wellbutrin and see.

I will say I don't think its due to low testosterone levels since I've been using steroids since my early 20's and continued to this day. I plan on using Testosterone the rest of my life.

I had to hunt to find the mechanism for amitriptyline's effects on sexual function...genital insensitivity. Something I was blaming on surgery opening me from pubis to sternum and removing my intestines so they could replace my aorta + iliac arteries with Dacron.
I look forward to working out if this was the entire or partial reason for insensitivity.
What I'm finding really difficult is that amitriptyline withdrawal is giving me the same feelings as opioid withdrawal.
So it feels like time for my next Targin, then I notice my sciatica hasn't kicked in yet and realise it's antidepressant withdrawal.

I'm hoping that the spinal shivers (there's a word for that I've forgotten....starts with A), the piloerection and crawling skin will dissipate over the next few weeks.

I'm lucky that the insomnia from starting Bupropion is coincident with that induced by amitriptyline withdrawal. I'm glad I didn't wait for washout before starting Bupropion.
Day 3 now and no increase in agitation. Confusion is dissipating and the suicidal fixation has vanished. Have started brainstorming drone designs again. Ideas are launching themselves freely.
Not noticing any adverse interaction with my heavy weed use.
Think I'll hold off tapering my clonidine until I see if my BP drops or my 100 bpm base rate slows.

I have Crohns and had a major surgery for it around 10 years ago, it was actually the reason I got addicted to pain killers afterwards. I had developed a hole in my small intestine and waited way too long to get care for it, I would just ask for pain killers and be on my way hoping it goes away. It got so bad not only did they have to remove some of my small intestine they had to open me up the length of my stomach, breast bone to my waist to clean everything in there. Then at home it got infected so I took a taxi to the ER and they had to open me up again, that time I was awake for it which was insane. I was laying on the table shirt off and he was feeling all around then started numbing my stomach, then he said he was going to start, I was like wtf aren't you going to knock me out? He said there's no need. I looked up and could totally see the reflection in the huge overhead light, it was all polished chrome acting like a mirror, I told him I could see what he was doing and he just grabbed my baseball hat I wore there and put it over my face. Thankfully there was an older nurse there to hold my hand, I was freaking out. I get worked up just having a shot. I didn't feel any pain but instead could feel the pressure of his hands inside my stomach and the cold water he was squirting in there. Stapled me up and I called the taxi to bring me home. I remember being mad because I still had my jeans on during that and they were soaking wet, I would have taken them off if I knew he was going to be squirting water everywhere.

I can say the surgery had no negative effects sexual activity wise at that time frame. I remember dating a few women after that and was perfectly fine in that department.

Follow up.
After 4 weeks on Bupropion I still can't tell if I'm less depressed from the Bupropion or the taper from serotonin toxicity.
I know I'm not suicidal anymore, but not the cause.
I can see how it would help to stop smoking.
While my dopamine is rebalancing I find little pleasure from any habit...from my morning coffee, sugar intake, weed.
I have reduced all these. It may be affecting my Oxycodone intake too.

Unfortunately, in the last 4 weeks I've averaged 4 hours sleep....
Per week.
Not sure how much longer I can take this.

The temptation is to immediately taper and save the rest for party nights.