• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Weird kratom withdrawal symptom

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
I've been using kratom for another month or two, kratom and propranolol the only drugs used in this period. Now I'm running out of the kratom and wanted to save the remaining for the case I'd really need it. First day without was flawless, a little tiredness but not more yet then when I went to bed I would have kind of an inverse nod. If that makes sense. Every time I'd fall asleep I felt a surge of restless energy going through my body, a very uncomfortable thing and ended up taking a tablespoon of kratom (usual dose being 3-4 spoons a day, given my high natural tolerance to opioids a pretty low dose with not much more than some relaxing effects). Now I woke up with a similar sensation of energy surges whenever I'd relax. Anybody else knowing this symptom?

Is there an associated jerk or twitch? How long does it last?

I experience something similar, it kinda startles me. I get it from kratom + alcohol abuse. I did not experience it with kratom withdrawal when I went cold turkey a few months ago, though. I associate it more with alcohol than kratom.

It's similar to a hypnic jerk, but also different. There is no involuntary movement, but I generally jerk upwards anyways because its very intense and startling. Almost feels like you're exploding or something.

Last edited:
I think there's no jerk but it feels like there could be if it intensifies and I would always move voluntarily to get rid of the sensation. Duration is just a few secs until I'd change position and then it's away until I'd be on the verge of falling asleep again. The nastiest thing is just the sensation itself, it's kinda like a momentary panic. I'd rather have stayed the night up than to continue with this symptom. Thankfully it goes away upon ingesting some kratom but it's new, I didn't experience this with earlier kratom turkeys.

I had jerks from antipsychotics (dyskinesia probably) which lacked this distinct sensation and were much easier to tolerate also because it was just happening sporadically.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what it is exactly, but we may be experiencing the same thing. For me it occurs the day/night after heavy drinking. Kratom may be involved.

I also happen to take propranolol as well. I don't think that has anything to do with it, but not sure.

When I went cold turkey off kratom I didn't experience that. I couldn't sleep at all for an entire week, though.

That sucks guys. I do know what you are talking about. Yes, it is a very uncomfortable symptom.
I have always associated it with opiate withdrawal.
Kratom is pretty heavy duty. It doesn’t feel like it is but it can keep me out of withdrawal from morphine, so...it is pretty heavy duty.
It also raises my tolerance too.
Even just a few days usage.

I think it best to always taper down and titrate up drugs.
You have to pay close attention to everything and get the just right balance you need.

Benzodiazepines help with this issue.

Kratom is pretty heavy duty. It doesn’t feel like it is but it can keep me out of withdrawal from morphine, so...it is pretty heavy duty.
Yeah, guess I under-estimated kratom but it sucks because the only reason I take kratom is that I have no other drugs available here and kratom's just an order away but it is mostly probably kind of an active placebo for me, I don't get opioid effects, just some relaxation and relief from chronic nervousness and intrusive thoughts. This is the first serious symptom which occurred in association with kratom.

Weird because withdrawal from morphine didn't induce this particular symptom but I also have to say that I didn't make it through too many days of opioid w/d until I cheated and used memantine megadoses for to get rid of the morphine tolerance. Well, thinking of this I could give memantine another try, maybe it'd help with kratom withdrawal as well but it induces horrible insomnia in me which last time led to auditory hallucinations from sleep deprivation..

Yeah, guess I under-estimated kratom but it sucks because the only reason I take kratom is that I have no other drugs available here and kratom's just an order away but it is mostly probably kind of an active placebo for me, I don't get opioid effects, just some relaxation and relief from chronic nervousness and intrusive thoughts. This is the first serious symptom which occurred in association with kratom.

Weird because withdrawal from morphine didn't induce this particular symptom but I also have to say that I didn't make it through too many days of opioid w/d until I cheated and used memantine megadoses for to get rid of the morphine tolerance. Well, thinking of this I could give memantine another try, maybe it'd help with kratom withdrawal as well but it induces horrible insomnia in me which last time led to auditory hallucinations from sleep deprivation..
Damn, I was going to say, maybe I should try some Memantine , but that sounds bad.

You are right, I didn’t get that feeling from morphine withdrawal.
I experienced it with hydrocodone withdrawal.
Before, the morphine.

It sounds like Alcohol, opiates, and Kratom can all cause this symptom.
I think it is part of the anxiety that the withdrawal of each of these causes.

Stay out of withdrawal ya all! 😂👍

Higher dose memantine does lower opiate withdrawal. Just be careful not to dose too high, you’ll be in something identical to a k-hole though not as instant and u need days to safely come out. On it’s own it’s fun af.

That sucks guys. I do know what you are talking about. Yes, it is a very uncomfortable symptom.
I have always associated it with opiate withdrawal.

I think it best to always taper down and titrate up drugs.
You have to pay close attention to everything and get the just right balance you need.

Benzodiazepines help with this issue.
Interesting , i have never found kratom to cause physical withdrawal even after 3 months of usage . How many grams daily can it cause withdrawal ? I am used to stuff like ghb which cause bad side effect real quick .

Interesting , i have never found kratom to cause physical withdrawal even after 3 months of usage . How many grams daily can it cause withdrawal ? I am used to stuff like ghb which cause bad side effect real quick .
Kratom withdrawal can be quite severe and generally develops above 10g per day. Below that, not much dependence forms. It also takes a bit longer to develop compared to traditional opioids.

Speaking from experience, withdrawal from something like 30g per day is on par with full blown opioid withdrawal.

Kratom withdrawal can be quite severe and generally develops above 10g per day. Below that, not much dependence forms. It also takes a bit longer to develop compared to traditional opioids.

Speaking from experience, withdrawal from something like 30g per day is on par with full blown opioid withdrawal.
Damn it rlly doesnt feel like that , but i am sure something that can stop a heroïne or morphine withdrawal might be on par obviously .

Maybe it is to a degree generalized response unrelated to whatever you are withdrawing as long as it is sedative.
I believe it's similar to brain zaps in SSRI withdrawal. In a general sense, it's nerve cells that have been downregulated and suppressed, so when the drug leaves the system the nerves start firing uncontrollably in a cascading fashion.

I get withdrawals from just 4 g a day

Maybe. I get a runny nose, slight anxiety/depression increase, obviously the return (in force) of the pain that I have been using kratom to treat, inability to regulate my body temperature (hot/cold flashes) a headache and some nausea, usually. It goes away within a week.