• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed and ADD/ADHD

I've never had problems concentrating but my girlfriend was diagnosed with ADD when she was younger, but never took any drugs for it because her mom didn't believe in it. She got very bad grades all through school, because she said she just couldn't make herself pay attention or care or do homework. She barely passed high school, and really only did because her math teacher liked her and realized she was going to be a musician.

In the first semester of college, she likewise almost failed out, and was placed on academic probation. Then the second semester she met me and started smoking most every day. Instantly, she found she was able to apply herself to school, and ended up graduating with honors. Now she's in graduate school and has yet to get anything but an A... on anything. I'd call that quite a turnaound :)

But, I still wish she'd try to get some Adderall... good stuff ;)

Now, keep in mind I don't really believe in ADD either. It was just a matter of her seeing herself and her situation from a different perspective and realizing she had to take responsibility for her actions, and not blame them on some phantom mind disease.
@Xorkoth This is a very old post/thread, so I'm wondering, is that last paragraph still your attitude/opinion?

Haha, wow, that is old...

No, I wouldn't say I still feel this way. I've learned about how much our experiences reflect our brain chemistry. I do think that sometimes when kids are labeled as ADD/ADHD, it's just because they're not being properly engaged. But I also think it's a real thing. I disagree, however, with giving kids amphetamines.

Phew ok. We're on the same page, well, close enough. :)

I am not keen on giving kids drugs either, but I think it should be up to them to try them or drop them, not the parents.

Personally I've found that dietary avoidances have more benefit than methylphenidate . . .

Haha, wow, that is old...

No, I wouldn't say I still feel this way. I've learned about how much our experiences reflect our brain chemistry. I do think that sometimes when kids are labeled as ADD/ADHD, it's just because they're not being properly engaged. But I also think it's a real thing. I disagree, however, with giving kids amphetamines.
I actually had the exact opposite happen, my primary school picked up on my 'wandering attention', and because I was doing well otherwise, they just kept moving me up a class early. Secondary school was a different matter :(
Back then it was barely recognised, and certainly not accepted as a diagnosis.