• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

visual snow disorder.

dr katz

Bluelighter
Anyone else here have it? Kinda cool, kinda annoying. Mildly concerning. Basically you're whole field of vision looks like it's coated in static.

Anyone else here have it? Kinda cool, kinda annoying. Mildly concerning. Basically you're whole field of vision looks like it's coated in static.
Even in the dark. I have described it as being like seeing atoms - the points are dimensionless but like a glowing field of flickering/moving lights, always there.

I was short sighted early in life - I put it down to that, but then I had lasik surgery and got better than 20-20 and still had them. Opthamologists/opticians never understand what I am describing - they talk about the more normal things people have like occasional floaters, or after-images etc.

Right at the point of focus, hard to actually detect, there seems to be slightly longer 'lights' almost like a vertical grid - tiny area, I equate it to the focus point that we use for attention - do you have that?

There is also, sometimes, a kind of electric-blue circle that cycles through starting larger and slowly shrinking *and getting brighter) until it becomes a point and the next circle is starting in. Not really detectable with eyes open where the field of sparkles is if I look for it.

If this sounds like what you are talking about (not the blue circles particularly) then you are the first person in 40 years whose had the foggiest idea what I am talking about. :D

Even in the dark. I have described it as being like seeing atoms - the points are dimensionless but like a glowing field of flickering/moving lights, always there.

I was short sighted early in life - I put it down to that, but then I had lasik surgery and got better than 20-20 and still had them. Opthamologists/opticians never understand what I am describing - they talk about the more normal things people have like occasional floaters, or after-images etc.

Right at the point of focus, hard to actually detect, there seems to be slightly longer 'lights' almost like a vertical grid - tiny area, I equate it to the focus point that we use for attention - do you have that?

There is also, sometimes, a kind of electric-blue circle that cycles through starting larger and slowly shrinking *and getting brighter) until it becomes a point and the next circle is starting in. Not really detectable with eyes open where the field of sparkles is if I look for it.

If this sounds like what you are talking about (not the blue circles particularly) then you are the first person in 40 years whose had the foggiest idea what I am talking about. :D
YES! I have exactly that! The vortex thing and everything. I notice that a lot of the colored dots I see are neon blue sometimes green

Far fucking OUT! :D

I've wondered all kinds of things about it across the decades, and tried to play with it. Get as dark a room as possible and try passing your hand over your closed eyes. It's subtle but there is an effect. Also try closed eyes in the dark room and then try to 'see' through your forehead without rolling your eyes up - kinda see if you can get peripheral effects from the top of the glow field but with your eyes still 'looking' straight ahead or down.

Far fucking OUT! :D

I've wondered all kinds of things about it across the decades, and tried to play with it. Get as dark a room as possible and try passing your hand over your closed eyes. It's subtle but there is an effect. Also try closed eyes in the dark room and then try to 'see' through your forehead without rolling your eyes up - kinda see if you can get peripheral effects from the top of the glow field but with your eyes still 'looking' straight ahead or down.
I always wonder if it affects anything else. Sometimes I don't notice because I've had it all my life, and sometimes I have fun with it too. Usually it's just black or white tiny flickers but if I look at the sky it looks like they are flying around like nats or I'll see the vortex. In the dark or with my eyes closed ia crazy. Colorful dots everywhere. Sometimes it even looks like things are sparkling.

Yes on the sparkling. The blue sky thing - they seem to me to be a different quality, like there's minuscule crystals catching the light or something. Have you heard of Rods? I've wondered about them as well for the sky issue.

Computer screens tend to look like they are coated with the same sort of coating you get on a projection screen - the sparkles make it look like that, particularly the white areas.

It's been years since I even mentioned this to anyone - the wall of misunderstanding was complete. Have you met anyone else that understood what you were describing?

Last edited:
If you want to try a cool visual, if you want to count the little squares in a screen window from 10+ feet away, have a light in the back of them, even a star in the sky will work. Carefully allow your eyes to relax slightly crossed and they will Jump forward an magnify in your vision, the size of them will be so large that only one to five will be observable. You must keep your head still or they will shift out of vision too fast. You have to move your head to count them. A trick from the Castenada books. Its difficult for some but everyone can do it. Its great for seeing people a long way away.

Yes on the sparkling. The blue sky thing - they seem to me to be a different quality, like there's minuscule crystals catching the light or something. Have you heard of Rods? I've wondered about them as well for the sky issue.

Computer screens tend to look like they are coated with the same sort of coating you get on a projection screen - the sparkles make it look like that, particularly the white areas.

It's been years since I even mentioned this to anyone - the wall of misunderstanding was complete. Have you met anyone else that understood what you were describing?
I have not heard of rods. The only other person I know who has it is my uncle. We never mentioned it before because we figured that everyone has it lol but eventually I asked my bf and others and they said they never experienced that unless their eyes were closed

If you want to try a cool visual, if you want to count the little squares in a screen window from 10+ feet away, have a light in the back of them, even a star in the sky will work. Carefully allow your eyes to relax slightly crossed and they will Jump forward an magnify in your vision, the size of them will be so large that only one to five will be observable. You must keep your head still or they will shift out of vision too fast. You have to move your head to count them. A trick from the Castenada books. Its difficult for some but everyone can do it. Its great for seeing people a long way away.
I like to do that looking at random things :)

I have not heard of rods. The only other person I know who has it is my uncle. We never mentioned it before because we figured that everyone has it lol but eventually I asked my bf and others and they said they never experienced that unless their eyes were closed
The closed eyes version is a different thing as far as I've been able to tell. If you close your eyes now, behind the sparkles there's a 'snow' effect more like what you get when the TV is not on a valid channel - with the channel scan these days I'm not sure people see that any more, but if you sit and just be aware of the view behind your eyelids, you can see the thing they talk about sort of 'behind' the sparkles - the 'dots' are bigger too.

The closed eyes version is a different thing as far as I've been able to tell. If you close your eyes now, behind the sparkles there's a 'snow' effect more like what you get when the TV is not on a valid channel - with the channel scan these days I'm not sure people see that any more, but if you sit and just be aware of the view behind your eyelids, you can see the thing they talk about sort of 'behind' the sparkles - the 'dots' are bigger too.
For me a pitch black room looks the same as my eyes closed

They can make patterns or grids or different colored spots. Sometimes other shapes. I guess with my eyes open in the dark it is a little more tamed. Always bright colors :)

Every day for over a year along with a bunch of other vision shit that all hit me at the same time.

Edit: mine is really only noticeable when looking at lights.

Cool Katz, a lot of my friends didn't believe it until I had them tape off the squares on the screen and counted the exact number of squares between the tape. Some could never manage to do it, my optometrist was unaware of it as well when I asked her what the effect was. I still don't have a scientific answer of the phenomenon.

I want to go to an eye document to check it out but they won't know or help for shit.. I also have had tinnitus for the last 4+ years and maybe a doc could help me with it but I highly doubt it. I had scarlet fever 4 yrs ago and the said I was fine. Next day im in the hospital and bam. Diagnosis.

I always have the snow effect Its just way more obvious with my eyes opened