• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Viberzi (eluxadoline) new opiod for IBS

I have had a prescription for this since last July, and have commented on another thread (I believe here on BL) about it. My experience with this drug is there is a fine line between feeling absolutely nothing from a recreational standpoint, and feeling like absolute shit. When it was first given to me I did a quick search and immediately took 300mg. It felt terrible. Heavy, fatigued feeling with no euphoria whatsoever. Naturally, I tried this a couple more times before I realized it just wasn't going to happen. Since then I have not abused it. I actually had my Dr drop me to 75mg tablets from 100 because sometimes just 100 would be enough to give me that terrible feeling I got when I tried abusing it. I will occasionally take two 75mg tablets at once but my usual dose is 75mg once a day. Taking twice a day can induce pretty horrid constipation for me. For its intended purpose, at 75mg once a day, it's been incredible. I can feel pain/diarrhea coming on, take one, and in minutes it's gone. However, I usually don't experience even the slightest bit of discomfort anymore, whereas before everything I ate sent me to the bathroom in a fury, I shit you not (no pun intended).

Only other thing to say is, I have gone up to a week without it and experienced no physical withdrawal symptoms aside from vicious bouts of the shits that seemed worse than they'd been prior to Viberzi. (It is EXTREMELY expensive and my insurance temporarily stopped covering it last month, and I ran out for a short time.)

edit: One more thing, regarding one poster's comments re:antagonist activity and interfering with Kratom... I can confirm this is an issue. I have had it literally wipe out a kratom high when taken during its peak. I will typically try and not take them within a few hours of one another.

Last edited:
Im really glad the Viberzi is working for you. I agree with you exactly on its best usage! It is expensive. I only got it because my insurance ded had been met for the year so I got a 90 day free script. But when I run out ill probably stick with the lomotil. I have one refill of the Verbizi left...maybe Ill change my mind based on your experience...and get it refilled. You might ask if ur Doc has some samples. My doc gave me a months worth...Probably the 75 mg samples would easier to get too....

Im really glad the Viberzi is working for you. I agree with you exactly on its best usage! It is expensive. I only got it because my insurance ded had been met for the year so I got a 90 day free script. But when I run out ill probably stick with the lomotil. I have one refill of the Verbizi left...maybe Ill change my mind based on your experience...and get it refilled. You might ask if ur Doc has some samples. My doc gave me a months worth...Probably the 75 mg samples would easier to get too....

She never had samples, unfortunately. I did get a starter pack thing that gave me my first fill for free. I now pay <snip> for each subsequent refill (all my other scripts are <snip>).

I was actually really nervous my insurance wouldn't approve it again after the initial six months but they did. I've been on many other IBS medications and none have come to being as effective as Viberzi. Librax was decent but it required doses with every single meal. If you can continue to get it without paying the outrageous price, it's definitely worth it IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to revive this thread because I believe doing so can provide information that apparently is nowhere to be found...

Viberzi is an agonist at the mu and delta opioid receptors, just as most of your run-of-the-mill opioid pankillers are, so why, by all accounts, has this medication not provided anything close to the same enjoyable effects provided by the others? The easy answer is it targets pain receptors in the bowels, rather than the brain. Now, I'd read one individual describe IV'ing this drug and he very much enjoyed it. (You can find this on a simple google search, and in fact it may even be on BL)

Anyway, I refuse to IV anything at this stage of my life, but what I did finally decide to do was try the insufflation ROA after all this time... Hey, maybe the effects will be totally different since this opioid will bind to receptors in the brain rather than the gut. I sucked the coating off and did just that. There is an INTENSE rush that hits you IMMEDIATELY -- from head to toe. Not entirely dissimilar from the physical sensation I described in this thread, although not with nearly the same level of discomfort. Again, very heavy-bodied feeling, and again absent any euphoria. This rush lasted about a half hour, and as it faded away the feeling became SLIGHTLY more opiate-like and pleasant, although still not something I will do again.

Also, though it doesn't necessarily burn, it is almost vomit-inducing in its taste (though this may be the fact that I generally dislike sniffing anything and haven't done so in years).

Dry mouth is extreme, no effects worth trying this again.

This is quite a unique and strange drug.

PS: Could I possibly be the first person to try this ROA and post about it online? Seems to be very possible.

I will reiterate again, this does not seem to a recreational drug whatsoever.

It seems that so many pseudo- or lightweight-opiate/oids/ROMs have so many different opinions on them, from the kid that drank poppy tea and got ridiculously high and the people who say they get a buzz off loperamide.

I don't post often on these boards but I just couldn't stand by and not say something.

First off, I am a full on half gram plus of raw heroin from chicago shooter for nearly 15 years. I think morphine feels gross to shoot and I think dilaudid is a worthless 15 minute high with way too pins and needles-ey hit. I have EXTENSIVE experience with methadone and bupe as 'tex and 'boxone.

A fellow serious opioid abuser got these through the grapevine. 100mg. we decided to do a simple hot/cold water extraction to 4 pills and split it between the two of us.

It is certainly unique, but as far as euphoric or worth spending even a buck or two on a couple to stave off actual, serious dope/fent (all the dope here has fent in it now too on top of being "raw") withdrawal.

If I could make a comparison I would say that if buprenorphine was a frat member and morphine was a drunk freshman pledge for a sorority and bupe forced himself on her, the bitch would vomit viberzi (no means yes, yes means anal! amiright?!)

So ya essentially the fact that I have access to grams and grams of this stuff for free gives me zero solace when shit gets real and those 24 hour later withdrawals start in.

Lastly, it is totally TOTALLY worthless orally. Ate a whole sample pack of ten (1 gram of viberzi) and got nothing that could even slightly be called a "buzz", not even serious constipation.