• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Very weird/scary thing that happens to me when I trip on cubensis mushrooms.

Seattle_Stranger

Bluelighter
I've noticed this the last two times I've taken cubensis mushrooms. It's really hard to explain, but it's slightly scary when it happens. Here goes:

So, it sort of feels like a mix of euphoria rush and passing out/falling asleep feeling, along with a loud wwwwwwhhhhhoooOOOOOMMM sound in my ears. It actually feels like I'm about to pass out, so whenever it happens I automatically sort of jolt myself back to reality and it stops. It feels good, kinda, but at the same time like I said it feels like I'm about to fall asleep or pass out so it's scary.

It doesn't happen often, but happens a couple times during the trip, usually when I am idle, calm, laying down, whatever. I noticed it happening a couple times when I was about to laugh, or feel happy about something (like something on TV made me laugh), and it feels like a rush of euphoria is about to come and then the wwhhhhhoooooooMMMMMMMMMMMM and almost pass out feeling. It lasts all of a second.

What is happening?

The Aliens (or Elves, or even Alien Elves) are trying to dial in and take control of your brain?

No, sorry, I know its a serious concern, that is really bizarre. So this never used to happen prior to the last 2 trips? Has anything changed about you since before this started, like starting any new meds of any kind?

what's wrong with passing out while you're safely lying down?

if it's a pleasurable sensation, just let it happen and see where it takes you. i think i know the kind of feeling you're referring to, and for me it's usually accompanied with time travel and insane visuals :)

what's wrong with passing out while you're safely lying down?

if it's a pleasurable sensation, just let it happen and see where it takes you. i think i know the kind of feeling you're referring to, and for me it's usually accompanied with time travel and insane visuals :)

I've only tripped on shrooms 3 times now, and it has happened the past two times. Nothing has changed in since the first time. I've taken 2C-E and 2C-I a few times, salvia, DXM 3rd plateau, as well as MDMA and MDA, and this has never happened with anything else.

Passing out on drugs is not my thing man. It's scary to me. The loud whoooom is what is scary about it. It comes with a sort of pressure, almost like a big ZAP kind of feeling. Trust me, when it happens, my brain screams WHOA WTF WAS THAT and it doesn't leave me with a good feeling about it. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I dunno man I don't like it.

I really hope someone knows what I'm talking about.

i find audio distortions occur very frequently on mushrooms, especially as dose increases, and especially if I focus on it. Feelings of blacking out, passing out, feeling very tired and weak in general are also very common as dose increases. These effects both, along with a wave of euphoria tend to momentarily "peak" when a new wave of mushroom effects wash over you (which happens several times throughout an average trip), or if one begins to go in a trance (clear mind and stare a single point, with eyes open or closed). I guess what I'm trying to say is its pretty normal, and physically speaking you're extremely safe, however if its uncomfortable enough, it may help to lower the dose until you are more familiar with the effects.

A loud weird noise is not normal. Ive done many many shroom trips and never once did my brain suddenly seem filled with a weird loud "whooomp" sound or whatever.

If shrooms do that to you, my advice is: avoid shrooms and stick to things that feel good and dont do scary things to you. Dont feel bad or cheated. Not every drug suits every person.

I have seen people pass out on shrooms. Its usually first timers taking too much and mixing with other stuff like alcohol and weed. But yeah one minute having a good time and the next down and out.
Im with dwayne ive seen people pass out/seize on weed alone (damn elevator hits), its all based on the person.
Not trying to scare you but listen to your body. Ive gotten that humm from smoking alot while peaking but not the sensation of passing out. When im tripping the least thing on my mind is passing out.
Good luck bro

I've been getting very mixed. Many have told me don't worry, it's nothing to worry about, while others are telling me to stay away. Shrooms are very new to me, and I absolutely love them. It would be a heart break if I had to give them up.

What are the possible things that could cause a person to be 'incompatible' with shrooms? Some kind of serotonin problem or something? Possibly bad shrooms? The first time I tripped, it was 3.5g of tea from a certain source, and nothing like this happened, and I also had a great time. Second and third times, it was from a different source, I started off with low doses (about 1g), got terrible anxiety attacks both times, and also got this whoomp problem both times as well.

Is it possible there's just something up with these boomers?

Your description reminds me of what I have experienced on mushrooms on multiple occasions and mushrooms only. It's like an instantaneous ego-loss zap that happens especially on moments where you are so elated you automatically 'let go' and dissociate for a brief moment.
On the most intense mushroom trips of my life this would be so heavy that even closing my eyes would cause this zoooOOOM effect to build up and even keep increasing. It was literally more intense than but more or less comparable to going up in the looping of a rollercoaster but never actually reaching the top... it only kept going infinitely higher and more warped until I would give up and lose myself. The feeling of extreme G-forces and dimensions stretching to some kind of beyond becomes too much to handle at some point and your sense of self can pop IME. I have been through hell trying to put a brake to it and trying to resist, it's no use. If you feel those things it's already too late and you should just surrender to it, and it will actually be amazing and out of this world. ++++ and beyond 'very good' or 'very bad' sometimes. Mystical...

Something reminds me of brain-zaps as well, that mushrooms can cause. Apparently these have to do with abruptly changing levels of serotonin. Perhaps an experience of ego annihilation that happens so intensely and fast is accompanied by fast changing levels of serotonin (I suspect a rise when we are talking about this situation).

Is it a problem? Hm well I hardly think it's very toxic or anything but I suspect it can be a kick to the brain. I wouldn't worry about it per say but these kinds of intense zooms are really to be respected. Such trips kicked my ass like almost no other drug has except DMT.

I never get anything even close to this when rolling and I would imagine that would have more of an effect on serotonin than anything else.

I am on a medication called Lamotrigine, it's the only thing I would imagine possibly has any kind of hand in this, but still doubtful. On days I plan to take any drug other than weed or opiates, I skip my daily dose to avoid interactions, even thought I don't really think it will do anything with anything I take.

A few things involving my medication and mushrooms:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=53215

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4328713

Last edited:
I've had very similar things happen when I've combined weed with shrooms. But in the absence of weed... don't know; I suspect blood pressure involved, I'd get that checked out while its happening, make an experiment out of it.

In the absence of other explanations, I would think it some interaction with the prescription med you are on, even though you skip that day's dose, I bet its still in your system.

Note wikiipedia page says:

Lamotrigine can induce a type of seizure known as a Myoclonic Jerk, which tends to happen soon after the use of the medication.[34] When used in the treatment of myoclonic epilepsies such as Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy, lower doses (and lower plasma levels) are usually needed, as even moderate doses of this drug can lead to induction of seizures, including tonic-clonic seizures, which can develop into Status epilepticus (a medical emergency). It can also cause Myoclonic Status Epilepticus.

In overdose, lamotrigine can cause uncontrolled seizures in most patients regardless of the reason they were prescribed the drug.

Either that, or... since you are on that drug that means you either have some kind of seizure disorder, or are bipolar. I can see shrooms having a weird interaction just with your native nervous system having any of those things.

Why was trip #1 OK? Well the body can be weird like this... allergic reactions are one example. Encounter #1 does NOT cause a reaction but is the cause of "sensitization" ... the body essentially decides "Hey I did not like that, I am not going to put up with that again" and creates a sort of memory. The NEXT time it is encountered, the body over-reacts, in an attempt to "get rid of" the offending influence. In the case of allergic reactions, a systemic immune over reaction causing rash and fever. Maybe in your case some odd nervous system spasm set up, trying to expel the weird shroom effects.

All just a total speculation of course. Its in the history of these ultra-powerful substances to cause random idiosyncratic effects in one-off fashion that no one will ever be able to explain. so I am certain you will never really "KNOW" what that effect is or what causes it or if you can stop it.

YOU just have to decide if you can cope with it and/or manage it. If not, find a substitute psychedelic.

Shrooms DO have some unique and bizarre compounds in them, more than merely psilocybin. Maybe you will find 4-aco-dmt nearly as useful, but as it is one single pure chem, it will not cause this effect.... I would suggest you try to find some of that and see.

Something reminds me of brain-zaps as well, that mushrooms can cause. Apparently these have to do with abruptly changing levels of serotonin. Perhaps an experience of ego annihilation that happens so intensely and fast is accompanied by fast changing levels of serotonin (I suspect a rise when we are talking about this situation).
I think I've experienced this once. It was on a low dose of mushrooms (1.5 g). It was near the middle of the trip and I was just trying to relax and watch TV at 4 AM. Then everything would get really, really loud and build up into this "zap". I guess it could be described as a zoom as well. It was really intense but it was really uncomfortable as well. But I would get that lightheaded dizzyness and it would all kind of build up till the burst of auditory amplification and then the zap. It sucked.

^ when people of your experience level are reporting these "Zaps" I guess I gotta think you are on the level.

But man, I also gotta say, and please believe me I mean no disrespect, but I have a hard time not believing something else like group-hysteria, or maybe a whole new generation that are on Ritalin or something like that which in interaction is causing them. Because in 30 years of tripping and reading I NEVER heard anything about this shit till reports began on the net a few years ago. Then once reports on the net began they seemed to amplify themselves... more and more talk about them all the time, like a self-fulfilling prophesy or a self-amplifying "feedback loop" meme or something psychosocial in nature, not any true actual pharmacological phenomenon.

Go back and look at all the classic printed literature about psychedelic experience on a whole array of substances. There is no whacked out talk of "Brain Zaps" every third report there.

Something weird is going on. I just smell it.

The massive number of Ritalin kids in the last 10-15 years? An entire generation of drama-queens? What? :\

^ I get where you're coming from. Honestly I've never heard of it outside of bluelight, it's never happened to anyone I know (or they've never said anything) and it never happened to me before or since (even from fruit of the same grow). But, it happened.

I've never taken ritalin in my life.

It's the internet. Take it or leave it. I'm just relating what I experienced.

^ when people of your experience level are reporting these "Zaps" I guess I gotta think you are on the level.

But man, I also gotta say, and please believe me I mean no disrespect, but I have a hard time not believing something else like group-hysteria, or maybe a whole new generation that are on Ritalin or something like that which in interaction is causing them. Because in 30 years of tripping and reading I NEVER heard anything about this shit till reports began on the net a few years ago. Then once reports on the net began they seemed to amplify themselves... more and more talk about them all the time, like a self-fulfilling prophesy or a self-amplifying "feedback loop" meme or something psychosocial in nature, not any true actual pharmacological phenomenon.

Go back and look at all the classic printed literature about psychedelic experience on a whole array of substances. There is no whacked out talk of "Brain Zaps" every third report there.

Something weird is going on. I just smell it.

The massive number of Ritalin kids in the last 10-15 years? An entire generation of drama-queens? What? :\

Before I address this let me clarify my medication. I was prescribed this medication as an anti-depressant back in January of this year. All my life I have always been against depression medications, being the first to say that a person should over come this kind of thing on their own, all that. However, having experienced what I experienced last winter, without going into detail, I hit 10 miles below rock bottom and was at the point where I was ready to try absolutely anything besides the gun to get out of this hole. The doc gave me this, I didn't want it, I don't feel like it helped and I don't want to take it anymore either. I have over come my depression and anxiety long ago, I feel that the meds had NOTHING to do with it because I honestly turned my life around and made everything right again, and I wasn't happy until I did so. I do not have a seizure disorder or bipolar or anything like that, however, I will never rule out the possibility of some kind of imbalance. After all, I'm often messing with my brain as we all are.....we're here on BL aren't we?

Now this:

I understand you mean no disrespect but there's quite a bit of tainted assumption in there. Judging from your response, you must be somewhat of an old schooler. I am most certainly not of the generation of 'ritalin kids' you speak of, nor have I even seen a ritalin pill in my life. Trust me, this generation you speak of came after me because I used to use the term 'ritalin kid' too. :)

I'm surprised the answer isn't more clear to you. Obviously, the internet was not around when you first started tripping (you said 30+ years, correct?). As of later years, internet usage has exploded exponentially and continues to do so, therefor more people are using it, more people are posting on it, and low and behold, you're going to read more and more reports of things like this. Everyone in the world is different, everyone is going to experience different things in different ways, and when you connect all of these people together via one single location of information, all these varieties of people are going to become more apparent. This is pretty simple and straight forward, not hard to figure out.

I'm not really sure how in the world you pulled "self-fulfilling prophesy or a self-amplifying "feedback loop" meme or something psychosocial in nature, not any true actual pharmacological phenomenon" from this. From your response you seem quite closed minded and ignorant, and as you said, I don't mean any disrespect by that, just honesty. Is it not reasonable that someone might experience some kind of weird effect on a POWERFUL psychedelic drug? What is wrong with that? How do you get 'ritalin kid' and 'self-fulfilling prophesy or a self-amplifying "feedback loop" meme' from someone asking about something that feels like a brain zap? You can't tell me that when you first started experimenting with drugs you didn't have any questions.

If anything, I'd say it's quite responsible of me to find out what the hell is going on here before I just blindly go munching on more drugs thinking "Oh, I better just nut up because I don't want to seem like a pussy." That's how people end up dead. Notice I'm still here.

You bet your ass I have read up on metric TONS of old literature, information, essays, you name it, on psychedelic drugs (not to mention all other kinds of drugs), experiences, the science, chemistry, neurology and theory behind it all, etc.. Just because YOU never heard of anything like this doesn't mean it doesn't exist, never happened, and anyone who claims to have it happened to is obviously a drama queen, a 'ritalin kid' or something else that is beneath you and your wisdom. This is the dictionary definition of ignorance.

In short, I think you're confusing someone trying to stay well informed with someone crying for attention. Either that, or you think that I'm part of the pack mentality and end up freaking out just because everyone else is. Oh no I can't pay attention in math class I must have ADD like everyone else!!! Trust me, you got the wrong guy. :)

I apologize if I seem defensive, because well....I am. I know you meant no offense but I did take a bit being called a 'ritalin kid' and all. No beef, just honesty. I understand what you're talking about, and I actually do agree with the subject of how more and more people succumb to the pack mentality, however, I ain't that yo!!1 :p

Cheers,

I have gotten the whomp whomp sound you and others have spoken of on shrooms and very strong hits of acid. In my experience it sounds like the earths resonance or natural vibrations or some shit, i agree whomp whomp is the best way to spell it but for me its constant, it goes up and down in intensity but doesn't pause. Perhaps it is even the resonant frequency of your brain.

As for the feeling of falling asleep, its probably just an extremely relaxed state, probably deep theta maybe even a waking delta stage. It is nothing to be afraid of - Mushrooms will not kill you. Ever. Unless you are alergic or they are the wrong mushrooms, but if your tripping they are good ones and you obviously aren't allergic, so don't freak out. These brain states are the levels of awareness one strives for while meditating - nothing dangerous, in fact they are quite healthy.

No need to feel defensive, I was deliberately challenging, I realize, and I meant no disrespect to you. It can sound like I'm closed minded when I do that, but really it's just more of a rhetorical technique, posing a question or a speculation as a certainty, intended to see what the response it... kind of a "what if".

But like I said I and many Ive known have been tripping for many years and this effect I keep hearing more about, I dont know what to make of it, never had it, never heard of it, but it has begin occurring alot recently... well I guess I'll say it has me WORRIED more than anything... trying to understand this effect I never really heard of is suddenly happening to so many people.... searching for hypotheses, not accusing anyone of being whacko or of lying or anything.

I believe you are honestly reporting what is going on with you. Perhaps its just that you are tuning into some particular "control frequency oscillator" somewhere inside the brain that we are not normally aware of?

I would suggest something about the drugs, but this is on a natural substance so... thats why I wondered if it was some interaction with your seizure problem, or the med you are on for that. It almost sounds like some kind of mini-seizure.

I think I've experienced this too. Sort of feels like yawning, only much more intense and without actually yawning, right? I get it on mushrooms (sometimes) and dmt (always when coming down from a heavy dose). Never had it on lsd though.

At first it freaked me out too, especially when it happened on a very modest dose of mushrooms. In fact, I almost made a thread here before deciding to just stop worrying about it.

This reminds me of another strange thing that happens to me on dmt and mushrooms which I have also never heard or read about, namely uncontrollable rapid eye movement (with eyes open). Unlike the whooOOOOOoomp thing this actually feels really uncomfortable, but subsides completely as soon as I shut my eyes again. Any ideas?

Damn, I really hope this doesn't mean I'm prone to seizures from tripping... :\

Just to be clear, I'm not (nor have ever been) on any medications and never had a seizure.