• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Very SERIOUS phenibut addiction. HELP!

chipah

Greenlighter
Ok, I want to talk about my phenibut addiction and Im finally willing to get help. but what I know now about. I am so fucking scared, my life will never be the same. To start, I have been taking phenibut for over I think 3 years I am not, I think I started when I was 17? I am now 20. I have up to at least 20 grams a day but im not even sure any more, I really do not know. some days I would go 2 days at most now I just go a day sometimes skipping a day. I started taking to because of my horrible anxiety as a kid, im still a kid. What i know about it is it effects the gaba b receptors like alcohol. my addictive personality. I am going to break my familys heart. but my parents enabled me and let it continued, I thought to myself that I just go to rehab and ill be there for awhile but Ill come out ok, but now I know they fry your receptors, and i know its very very bad. Im going to rehab and im going to explain to the docter. it got so fucking bad man. basically from what i understand when I when and go through with it I will be delusional and stutter, but thats just from a guy who was doing 7 to 10 grams. look what the fuck i am on. Im going to be dead or a complelty fucked in my brain and I dont even know if ill get better. WHAT DO I DO? HELP PLEASE!

Welcome to the site, I have moved your post from Homeless to the 'Sober Living' section where many people are going through or have gone through similar things.

GABA-B agonism is pretty addictive, as I've done GHB a few times.

I don't have any phenibut experience though, and I don't have any frame of mind to advise whether or not rehab is practical.

Can you cut down on your own?

^^^ this. I too have never taken phenibut, but had a pretty heavy run with benzos (10 years) and booze (17 years) and think a taper is a great idea. If I were in your position I would wear a SLOW taper, and then try to get into a rehab facility after you are down to a reasonable level (3g ?). I think rehab would be beneficial for you to learn about addiction and the disease model, and to also help teach you valid coping mechanisms so you can deal with your anxiety, as when you completely stop phenibut it will probably get worse before it gets better.

For a taper I would recommend cutting down 10% of your dose every two weeks. It isn't a race, and sometimes taking your time yields more productive results. I also recommend discussing this with your family so they are aware of your plans and understand that you may have bad days, so they can support you. I commend you for recognizing your situation and being proactive in resolving it. Not many people can do that, and it's fantastic that you are catching this now while you still hve your whole life ahead of you!

Last edited:
I would highly recommend finding a good doctor who will prescribe you something like a diazepam taper, maybe even baclofen after you finish up that. Phenibut, if it is really that bad, is a nasty fucking drug to be really dependent on. I could very, very easily see how quitting cold turkey could kill someone.

You wont be a brain dead fuck up, youre just going to need some time to refresh your synapses. Synapses and neurons die off and regrow all the time, its called neurogenesis. Definitely taper down, and that will help A LOT, and then go to rehab so that you keep yourself away from it for good. You'll learn how to live a normal life again while youre in rehab.

Best of luck my friend

Thank you for everyone's quick responses, I really appreciate that, also now I realized I have been experiencing symptoms of sezuires where I pass out, so yeah I got that, any other suggestions?

Also I have read reports that a cold turkey phenibut on 20 grams will cause phycosis for maybe 4 days, so this stuff is no joke. People should know about this legal drug it should be illegalized.

Do not play around with siezures, they can do permenant damage or possibly kill you. I had a lot of siezures going through benzo withdrawal (I had a low siezure threshold to begin with) and I know I suffered damage that has taken years to repair. You need to see a doctor and tell them what's going on, and get an antisiezure medication. If the siezures are frequent please be careful with driving, cooking, smoking, etc. It's best that you don't drive until they are under control. If you have one while driving and law enforcement finds out you will lose your license until you can prove they are under control. I would also be very careful about going out in public alone, as if one hits you're on your own at the mercy of whoever is around. That being said, please see a doctor. I had a 20 minute grand mal when I was home alone and it has permenantly screwed up my vision. Good luck!

Benzo girl I'm going to the docters today, but I currently have no health insurance, and my family is working on getting it back. And would you suggest I take ativan or xanax for now when I feel a siezure coming? I can get my hands on those drugs without a prescription.

Hi chipah - its hard to say as they both have similar half lives. Ativan is actually used in some instances to treat siezures. What can you get more of?

If you're going to the doctor explain what's going on and see if you can get a Calium (diazapam) script. It has a longer half life so if will stay in your system longer. You can get a generic version and it will be less expensive. I would also try to get a script for Depakote (antisiezure) and Indural (propranolol - beta blocker, will help with anxiety).

That being said, is there a way you can taper the phenibut instead of quitting cold turkey? If you can do the taper, the withdrawal (and subsequent PAWS) shouldn't be nearly as bad or as long lasting. Something like reducing your dose by 10% every two weeks. Reason why I ask is I was on Xanax for 10 years, and was forced to quit cold turkey. My withdrawal and subsequent PAWS lasted a year and a half. Other people in similar circumstances that did a benzo taper didn't have it nearly as bad. I think quitting cold turkey does a lot more damage and is harder to recover from.

I took your advice and I'm going to go down 10% every 2 weeks. And I can only get the 2 drugs I talked about. And if I suggest to a docters what I need isn't that bad? Can't they label you a drug seeker?

It's always possible that they can label you as a drug seeker, but it's unlikely if you explain your situation. Benzos are getting a lot of heat in the media and doctors may be less inclined to prescribe them right now.

I was actually reading up on using benzos to get off of phenibut, and a lot of what I read recommends against. Of course, these recommendations were on other forums and were antidotal in nature. The gist of it was that benzos are harder to come off of, that tapering from phenibut is your best bet. As I have never dealt with phenibut first hand, I can't say one way or the other. Other people people getting if off phenibut recommended gabapenton, but again, I personally can't say. With most gabaergic drugs usually the best course of action is to just taper from what you are on.

If you can only get the two, definately go for the Ativan. In my opinion, xanax is pretty insidious in itself. It works very quickly and well, and tolerance builds rapidly. Because of how quickly is begins to work and it's short half life, I feel that it has a greater addictive potential than the Ativan. It also seems to make the rebound anxiety worse. Of course I say this with no experience on phenibut, which I've read is amazingly effective as well.

I was also wondering how exactly a taper works I take 2g less every 2 weeks so will it feel as if Im withdrawaling off 2g, or does it get gradually worse as I go down In my dose

It's not 2gs every two weeks, it's 10%. I think for a taper you should use mgs and not grams.
First taper = -2000 mg= 18000 mg dose
Second taper = -1800 = 16200 mg dose
Third taper = -1620mg = 14580 mg dose
Etc...

Yes, you will feel very mild effects by decreasing doses, but nothing like cold turkey. The slower taper the less worse you feel. It doesn't have to be every two weeks, it could be a longer time frame (i.e. Four weeks, etc). Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Last edited:
TWENTY MOTHER FUCKING GRAMS A DAY? go to the emergency room right now. Holy shit. Doctors have no frame of reference for this, tell them it's like your drinking a jug of vodka or ingesting a whole bottle of valium a day. Suggest a Gabapentin taper. This is no joke.

Of course taper if you can but this sounds life threatening. I've never heard of anyone taking this high of a dose. Shit like this is what gets this stuff scheduled...

Hello, I wanted to follow up on what's been going on. So I have been trying to quite and I feel like it's not even possible and I need a hospital, so far I've had no luck getting to one. Also I show symptoms of a brain tumor, I've always had a bump on my head and was told it was a benign tumor. But I'm not scared anymore, if I don't make it I know I enjoyed my life, the hardest part is knowing you have a family who loves you and I'll hurt them so bad. Thank you for your help people, I'll let you know what happens.

grab some gabapentin...pm me if u need help..grab about 30 gabapentin..600 mg pills..start taking it as soon as u get them and u wil be able to taper off phenibut very rapidly, like several thousands mgs every few days..i dropped off from a 4 gram day phenibut habit to 0 in one day with little withdrawal by using gabapentin..gabapentin wipes out 90% of phenibut withdrawals..then just taper off of gabapentin and u will be fine

Phenibut should not be illegal. Just because you and others have made mistakes with it should not take it out of the anti anxiety toolbelts of others.

I would highly suggest going to a hospital first. They will help you make the transition from phenibut to gabapentin. Also they will moniter you during the first few days to make sure you do not have a seizure. After the first few days they will either discharge you with a script and taper plan of gabapentin or benzos, or they will recommend you go to a detox. Be wary of detoxes. Some detoxes do not understand the protocols needed to taper from a gaba b drug. As x-benzo girl said, and as I have experienced it is horrible quitting cold turkey. I was in a detox for seven days without my meds and I had a seizure. I hit my head on the desk and now I have a scar on my hairline. Be wary of places like this. A good question to ask before you go in is; "will I be able to get my meds on a regular schedule?"

Goodluck and god speed.