• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Very long nitrous trip. Literally hours.

There is a psychedelic crack like state to it though, once you pop you just can't stop!

and thats what I learnt the hard way... the good thing is that I am lucky enough to be able to take them in moderation now and have learnt to use the effects in a much more effective way... and I love it :)

It has been a couple weeks since that episode. I've had no lingering problems. I had Friday night free, so I decided to do an experiment.

I used a canister that holds 1 at a time. I never finished the canister in 1 breath and each time the canister went empty (1 1/2 inhalations) I stopped and took deep breaths. I took 2+ breaths between each inhalation. I had a partial box, so I went ahead and finished that off. (25-30)

I was actually reading the news the entire time. I never got so far under that I couldn't read the news and understand it. I completely let it fade multiple times. I never got the funny mouth feel or anything like that. I also had a conversation on the phone about a mechanical part I needed for a project. (This was an actual conversation, not a nitrous hallucination. lol.)

I considered maybe I was having neurological problems due to the entire B12 thing, but my normal daily vitamin has 200% of daily B12 in it.

I was very thoughtful of what I was doing and never got that far into it. I don't see how there could be a lack of oxygen this time. However, I got the same lingering feelings as before.

I also noticed that the way I use the nitrous dispenser, I use my teeth on it with my mouth open while I inhale, this draws air in from the sides. I was doing this because I was afraid I might be clenching my teeth previously, so I put my teeth on the nozzle instead of my lips.

After some reading, I've found mentions of nightmares/strong dreams after nitrous use in a controlled medical setting, as well as hours of lingering feeling of being sedated.

Does anyone have any other insights aside from oxygen deprivation?

Vlan

Thats one of the pitfalls, though if they're on sale in Austria its a good sign so I wouldnt be too worried, but manufactured in Austria would be to a stricter process

Look up the brand name of the bulbs if you can before you buy them. Another good sign is if a catering supplier is selling them as again these have to be food grade quality

That is why I bought the ones I did. My significant other likes them ok, but she throws up every time she tries to use them. I thought maybe the purest ones I could find would fix that. They definitely seem stronger to me.

It depends on a lot of things, how hydrated you are, how many you've taken, over what timescale, your tolerance, but the best thing to say is that when you start getting the taste you now know to quit for a while.

I don't consider the taste to be an actual taste. Have you ever had it in a dental setting? Do you get the 'taste' from that?

I totally understand this one.... its why you should always try and have a sitter with you.... or at least keep track of the bulbs you've used. Last time I did some I was tripping and was seriously thinking of topping up my LSD, when I checked with my sitter it was only 40 minutes since I'd taken my first blotter and had done 3 NOS - it turned into an intense trip on what I'd taken and am very glad I didnt have any more!

I did have a sitter with me when I was doing it, just for the record.

The other problem with not exactly being in reality is how many you've taken (we've all picked up the box and said wait, I thought I had more!!!), so thats why I pile the empty ones at my feet (and of course clean them up). And again how long you've been inhaling or holding your breath... again a sitter here prevents my turning blue episode.
Generally, I throw them in an empty box when I use them. While it is certainly possible that I was off by a significant number in either bulbs or time, the general view here is that however many I did was totally unacceptable because they believed I may not be getting enough oxygen. Even if I were off by an entire 50 bulb box, that would still be more or less the same situation, no?
But 150 in even 5 hours would mean 1 every 2 minutes... I think you might have lost a lot more time

Time keeps on slipping.. slipping.. slipping.... :)

This is entirely up to yourself. My mate probably gets a better kick out of the 3 that they have than the 10 I do in a 8 hour night.... other friends of mine would'nt be happy with less than 20.... I've only done it 3 times this year so far. maximum 10, minimum 3.... just try and not even aim for the 50 mark every weekend or two like I did. But I wasn't sipping the balloons, I was inhaling and holding them, then straight back to huffing the balloon almost until I passed out, so my symptoms would have been a lot worse...

The more you chase it the further it gets away from you.

But I think you've already answered the question yourself....
I use a dispenser. I feel like 20 would be a drop in the bucket and rather pointless. I assume tolerance is different for many people.
Thats how many to use then :) but dont chase it, take a break inbetween.... they're much more effective when you let your oxygen levels come back to normal.

So now you can appreciate why I only do it when I trip... you're nicely out there, almost understanding and you take you're hit... a 30 second rush where audibles and visuals mix and you find you can orchestrate everything, loop the visuals and audibles and mix them around having fun for what feels like ages - almost as if you can loop time, and then you come back 2 minutes later, but your original trip is so much clearer and effective.... its the rush that I get, the giggles afterwards... thats "Hippy Crack" for me.

Next time I take 2ce, I will have to give it a go.

I'm about to righteously whiff some Nitrous right now seeing as I just got 5-boxes of 50 (250) chargers. I wish I had a dispenser instead of a cracker though, I'll have to buy one some time.

I'm feelin nice.

Started my day with 5 grams of Kratom (about 40% Green Vein Borneo, 30% Green Malay and 30% White Maenga Da), along with two strong cups of English Breakfast black tea and about 1 1/2 cups of coffee and 1.5mgs of Klonopin as usual.

Felt nice and stimulated and smoked a bowl of some decent weed (probably about 60%-70% Sativa and 30% or less Indica by the feel)...

Then smoked a bowl of Indian Warrior "Pedeuclaris Densiflora", followed by 4 1/2 shots of Jack and now I'm gonna do a 3--In one balloon or two of some nitrous.

In a bit I'll redose with about 4 grams of Red Vein Borneo and Bali and probably vape some weed through my herbalaire, smoke more Indian Warrior and drink some strong Chamomile tea and finally need to end the night with a combo of 3 1/2 milileters of Melatonin and 1 1/2 benadryls due to Kratom stimulation.

One of the fun things Kratom does to me is make me stimulated to write shit, hence all the stats haha.

Note: I also supplemented with both swallowable and dissolvable B-12 pills for the nitrous damage and some Acidophilous for my stomach health.

Edit: I just took 4 hits of benzedrex for extra pep. About to drink 1 cup of tea and 1 shot of Jack before hitting some nitrous.

Last edited:
It has been a couple weeks since that episode. I've had no lingering problems. I had Friday night free, so I decided to do an experiment.

I used a canister that holds 1 at a time. I never finished the canister in 1 breath and each time the canister went empty (1 1/2 inhalations) I stopped and took deep breaths. I took 2+ breaths between each inhalation. I had a partial box, so I went ahead and finished that off. (25-30)

I was actually reading the news the entire time. I never got so far under that I couldn't read the news and understand it. I completely let it fade multiple times. I never got the funny mouth feel or anything like that. I also had a conversation on the phone about a mechanical part I needed for a project. (This was an actual conversation, not a nitrous hallucination. lol.)

I considered maybe I was having neurological problems due to the entire B12 thing, but my normal daily vitamin has 200% of daily B12 in it.

I was very thoughtful of what I was doing and never got that far into it. I don't see how there could be a lack of oxygen this time. However, I got the same lingering feelings as before.

I also noticed that the way I use the nitrous dispenser, I use my teeth on it with my mouth open while I inhale, this draws air in from the sides. I was doing this because I was afraid I might be clenching my teeth previously, so I put my teeth on the nozzle instead of my lips.

After some reading, I've found mentions of nightmares/strong dreams after nitrous use in a controlled medical setting, as well as hours of lingering feeling of being sedated.

Vlan

Hmm, that sucks that you've had those problems bro.

I'm just going to be careful to not really use all that much nitrous or at least not too many in one single day and take days off...take extra breaths between hits and always take B-12...those are the best suggestions I have.

Seems like you just did WAY too much in more than one sitting and have had some lingering effects.

Vlan
Is there any event that might cause neurological problems: other inhalants, hit your head, had a stroke, brain tumor?

^Occams razor would suggest that the most likely culprit here is the nitrous oxide being used in excessive and irresponsible amounts.

But I guess it could be the non-disclosed head injury, stroke, etc. :|

vlan

From reading your posts again I see that you use the dispenser in your mouth with your mouth open. As you say yourself this means that you are inhaling air with the NOS and still able to read and take a phone conversation.

From the amount you are taking, while mixing with air, I think you are generally sedating yourself.

When I use NOS, I use a balloon. I close my lips around the balloon and inhale, sucking the air out to be honest, making sure no air gets in (in fact I sometimes practice blowing up and sucking down a balloon). This means that for the 30 to 60 seconds that I am breathing, or holding my breath, it is in the most part NOS (maybe with some CO2 too)

When the trip kicks in, you cant speak, you normally with have visuals and audibles, sometimes not being able to stand up, or swaying a lot - an intense rush for 30 seconds... NOS is also commonoly associated with hearing a "whaw whaw whaw" noise as the visuals kick in. You find it hard to focus on multiple things, and people talking can either set off a hillarious trip, or kill it completely.

To be honest I dont think you have been getting the full effects of NOS.... I think you are dosing yourself up over your couple of hours of basically breathing an NOS/air mix and basically sedating yourself, rather than getting a NOS rush like I do - theres no way you could have made a phonecall if you had.

I dont like the idea of putting the nossel of the dispenser to my mouth, as this is a high pressure bottle and our lungs are not designed for that. You over come this by allowing air in and thus a different buzz. One of my early posts described how I use a balloon to inhale.... but 20 to 30 in a couple of hours is still far too much.... this over an 8 to 12 hour period is, imho, excessive.

Last edited:
^Occams razor would suggest that the most likely culprit here is the nitrous oxide being used in excessive and irresponsible amounts.

But I guess it could be the non-disclosed head injury, stroke, etc. :|

The simplest explanation is that he was hallucinating for no reason.

Never understood why Occum's Razor has any value.

Hmm, that sucks that you've had those problems bro.

I'm just going to be careful to not really use all that much nitrous or at least not too many in one single day and take days off...take extra breaths between hits and always take B-12...those are the best suggestions I have.

Seems like you just did WAY too much in more than one sitting and have had some lingering effects.

The side effects aren't exactly unpleasant aside from the very lucid dreams that kept waking me up. If I didn't have to work the next day, it wouldn't of been a problem either. It was just different.

The simplest explanation is that he was hallucinating for no reason.

The only value it has is in looking at possible reasons for something when you don't have any clue why it is happening or to find other reasons once you have reached you hypothesis.

Is there any event that might cause neurological problems: other inhalants, hit your head, had a stroke, brain tumor?

No. I was only concerned that it could be neurologically related. I don't think that it is. However, it is hard tell if you have never experienced the issues. How do you know what vanilla tastes like if you have never eaten it, ya know?

vlan

From reading your posts again I see that you use the dispenser in your mouth with your mouth open. As you say yourself this means that you are inhaling air with the NOS and still able to read and take a phone conversation.

From the amount you are taking, while mixing with air, I think you are generally sedating yourself.

I disagree. I know what a nitrous trip feels like. This isn't my first rodeo with the stuff. It is just my first time with the after affects.

When I use NOS, I use a balloon. I close my lips around the balloon and inhale, sucking the air out to be honest, making sure no air gets in (in fact I sometimes practice blowing up and sucking down a balloon). This means that for the 30 to 60 seconds that I am breathing, or holding my breath, it is in the most part NOS (maybe with some CO2 too)

When the trip kicks in, you cant speak, you normally with have visuals and audibles, sometimes not being able to stand up, or swaying a lot - an intense rush for 30 seconds... NOS is also commonoly associated with hearing a "whaw whaw whaw" noise as the visuals kick in. You find it hard to focus on multiple things, and people talking can either set off a hillarious trip, or kill it completely.

Everyone has different levels of tolerance for every different drug. I can read a book while tripping on a heavy dose of LSD for 4 hours. I am set up slightly different mentally than most people.

To be honest I dont think you have been getting the full effects of NOS.... I think you are dosing yourself up over your couple of hours of basically breathing an NOS/air mix and basically sedating yourself, rather than getting a NOS rush like I do - theres no way you could have made a phonecall if you had.

I compare a nitrous trip to smoking DMT. It is no less awesome at times. I am getting the full effects of NOS. I started with balloons like everyone else. I''ve done 1000+.

I dont like the idea of putting the nossel of the dispenser to my mouth, as this is a high pressure bottle and our lungs are not designed for that. You over come this by allowing air in and thus a different buzz. One of my early posts described how I use a balloon to inhale.... but 20 to 30 in a couple of hours is still far too much.... this over an 8 to 12 hour period is, imho, excessive.

I've done 1000+ out of the dispenser. I've never had a problem. It isn't like I am just jamming the handle down and trying to capture all the gas, I am slowly inhaling it.

I don't see how a balloon is better than a dispenser. I have more control of the flow of the gas with the dispenser by a long shot. It's safer by a large margin.

That's because you don't understand it. "For no reason" isn't the simplest explanation. It's not an explanation at all. Occam's Razor does point to the nitrous use being responsible.

I don't see how a balloon is better than a dispenser. I have more control of the flow of the gas with the dispenser by a long shot. It's safer by a large margin.

With a balloon you can inhale, exhale, reinhale again (huffing) meaning that you get to inhale the maximum of the gas without air mixing and diluting the effects. Taking as much as you can without the risk of over-inflating your lungs (theres very little pressure left in the balloon - also presuming you use good quality helium grade balloons)

You can get just as good control from a balloon BUT you have reduced the risks of releasing all the pressure from within the dispenser into your lungs, or over inflating them.

I can understand that as an experienced user of the dispenser you might not see this as a risk, but I've seen people try to hold their breath and still releasing NOS from a dispenser

With a balloon you can inhale, exhale, reinhale again (huffing) meaning that you get to inhale the maximum of the gas without air mixing and diluting the effects. Taking as much as you can without the risk of over-inflating your lungs (theres very little pressure left in the balloon - also presuming you use good quality helium grade balloons)

You can get just as good control from a balloon BUT you have reduced the risks of releasing all the pressure from within the dispenser into your lungs, or over inflating them.

I can understand that as an experienced user of the dispenser you might not see this as a risk, but I've seen people try to hold their breath and still releasing NOS from a dispenser

There is no more nitrous in the dispenser than there is in the balloon. It doesn't release all the pressure at once. I don't think it lets the air out of the canister much faster than the balloon to be completely honest. It isn't like the explosive release of a cracker. I'm guessing you haven't spent much time with dispensers. I only did nitrous once or twice with a balloon and cheap cracker before I realized that was for suckers and that I lost a lot of nitrous from balloons breaking/getting loose once I was wawaing.

That's because you don't understand it. "For no reason" isn't the simplest explanation. It's not an explanation at all. Occam's Razor does point to the nitrous use being responsible.
I really have a difficult time telling you how wrong I think you are. I don't think you would accept it.

Here it goes.

Do you have free will?

There is no more nitrous in the dispenser than there is in the balloon. It doesn't release all the pressure at once. I don't think it lets the air out of the canister much faster than the balloon to be completely honest. It isn't like the explosive release of a cracker. I'm guessing you haven't spent much time with dispensers. I only did nitrous once or twice with a balloon and cheap cracker before I realized that was for suckers and that I lost a lot of nitrous from balloons breaking/getting loose once I was wawaing.

What I said was that there was no wastage from a balloon (if you do it right) and that you get to fully inhale and exhale, thus making sure you get the full dose of pure NOS - you already said you let air gets in around your lips/teeth so you're diluting what you're inhaling plus you cant recirculate the NOS in your lungs back into a dispenser and reinhale to get the full hit

You're not putting the cracker to your mouth so the "explosive" release is into the balloon from a cracker is into the balloon (as you said), however there is still a lot of pressure in the dispenser after you fill it... hand-freeze (and litter) is the worst thing about crackers if you're not careful, or use a cheap aluminium cracker (I use a brass one). But overinflating your lungs is a possibility with a dispenser with your mouth closed around the nozzel

I've plenty of experience with a dispenser (I used one for about 3 months, every weekend), and now only use them to fill balloons as I have never come close to the rush that you get from Balloons..... l definately have more experience with the balloons if you've only done it twice, I've been using them for a few years, albeit occasionally now.

I respect people choices to use a dispenser and that other people are trying to get a different hit than I am, but for me the rush with a balloon, with the noise/visual of the balloon inflating/deflating acts as a catalyst, is the best you can get - lets agree to disagree

Last edited:
What I said was that there was no wastage from a balloon (if you do it right) and that you get to fully inhale and exhale, thus making sure you get the full dose of pure NOS - you already said you let air gets in around your lips/teeth so you're diluting what you're inhaling plus you cant recirculate the NOS in your lungs back into a dispenser and reinhale to get the full hit

You're not putting the cracker to your mouth so the "explosive" release is into the balloon from a cracker is into the balloon (as you said), however there is still a lot of pressure in the dispenser after you fill it... hand-freeze (and litter) is the worst thing about crackers if you're not careful, or use a cheap aluminium cracker (I use a brass one). But overinflating your lungs is a possibility with a dispenser with your mouth closed around the nozzel

I've plenty of experience with a dispenser (I used one for about 3 months, every weekend), and now only use them to fill balloons as I have never come close to the rush that you get from Balloons..... l definately have more experience with the balloons if you've only done it twice, I've been using them for a few years, albeit occasionally now.

I respect people choices to use a dispenser and that other people are trying to get a different hit than I am, but for me the rush with a balloon, with the noise/visual of the balloon inflating/deflating acts as a catalyst, is the best you can get - lets agree to disagree

I have absolutely no issue or safety concern putting my lips over the dispenser and inhaling only the nitrous. I've got multiple dispensers and company use them when they come over. I've never seen anyone pressurize their lungs. I do that because I tend to clench my teeth when I am in wawa land and having the plastic nozzle of the dispenser between my teeth protects them from grinding. I suspect the lip thing is habit from smoking marijuana before I got a vaporizer since that is how I do that too. I've never wasted anything from the dispenser. I just prefer to put another nitrous bulb into the dispenser than to breath my old hot breath from a balloon over and over. They aren't expensive enough for me to suck down plastic flavored, humid, hot co2. There is functionally no difference in the high and I have never accidentally released too much nitrous out of the container no matter how wawaed out I was.

You could make the same argument that balloons are better than a tank of nitrous too. It wouldn't make any more sense. Even if I used balloons, I would still use my dispenser to fill them. I'd probably use something like a mylar bag though instead of a balloon if I were going to do that.

Last edited: