View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

valproic acid and tryptamines

creator

Greenlighter
Hey guys recently I was prescribed 1500 mg depakote per day for anxiety and stress. since starting my doses I do feel less panicky and agitated overall, but not entirely to the 'way' my anxiety feels, but that is another topic. Anyway, I am on this shit now and since then I have only taken benzos and opiates, along with the ol' weed, all of which seem significantly more sedating due to the depakote.

I was planning a mixed LSD and mushroom trip tomorrow with some buddies to celebrate our good friend going away to europe for a year, and I am wondering if anyone has specific information about contradictions, nullifications etc for either acid or shrooms. Will I still trip? will I just be left hanging in psychic limbo? I am wondering if anyone has experience doing this. That would suck if it wont work!

This is a bad combination, and is highly contraindicated. The anticonvulsant class of drugs have a penchant for causing chaos when mixed with psychedelic drugs.

I'm sorry the doctor prescribed you this garbage and that you feel you are supposed to take it to get well. Better to come off all the so-called "medications" and face your demons properly. Learn meditation and breathing, and you will never look back.

Should this be added to the "Dangerous Combination" Thread in PD?

I am also interested in the details. I only know that valproic acid strains the liver.

Oh sorry guys if this is misplaced im still getting used to the organization of the site. I bit the bullet and decided to try taking just the two hits of acid last night and everything seemed normal (if that word can apply to such experiences). I wasn't expecting to trip as hard as I did on just two, but everyone agreed they were exceptionally good hits, so its hard to say if the depakote added any intensity. However I think I could still feel the drowsiness/general drugged feeling of the dep. slightly making its way through the otherwise overwhelming psychedelia whenever weed was smoked.

Valproic acid just strikes me as such a strange thing.. not sure what to think of it yet but I think my doctor and I are working to find (and I know it takes many more aspects besides medicine) what is right to help my kind of anxiety and I probably wont stay on this for a very long term. Why does it seem to have this kind of stigma attached to it? Just bad side effects? zombifies people? anyway I think for me personally it is reasonably safe to take it with small to normal amounts of tryps. but being such a strange chemical I could see how different people might react differently so i guess test the waters a bit and know very well what is going on first everyone!

And i'd really not like to sound so ignorant I'm well aware that taking a pill wont just make me feel better or resolve anything, I know it takes more than that. I agree, breathing, meditation, all steps to finding inner peace are an essential in any healing process. I don't neglect these things, but hard to connect to virtue in such an ugly, disharmonious, frivolous society that I then have to go be a part of. I'v tried many avenues before this point; some help me with certain things and not other things, others are different. I feel like I did overcome some depression through acupuncture and meditation, but my anxiety just never seems to wind down for too long. I would like to "face my demons properly" except that I have no idea what they are. it really just seems to come out of nowhere: tachycardia, agitation, it feels like i just downed three red bulls. I understand anxiety and panic disorders are usually connected with a fear or worry, but i really don't have any of those, I honestly just feel like my brain is on overdrive on a daily basis

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to revive this. I am considering Depakote for the same reasons as the OP and as an adjunct to work towards tapering off of my benzos which I hear it's pretty exceptional for.

I'm well aware of the liver toxicity but is there anything else to really suggest acute toxicity with anything other than other GABAergic drugs (especially alcohol)?

I've been on it before. It's heavy. But they gave it to me in a rapid detox facility at 1500mg and it did the job and covered up my withdrawal until they took my levels and found me just into the liver toxicity range so I missed a day and that plunged me into full blown benzo withdrawal and I couldn't come out and ended up in the ER and reinstated on benzos.

I'm just wondering if there is a chemical reason (receptor or enzyme problem, etc) that valproic acid is contraindicated with psychedelics. Seems to me it should be just fine?

I did find this article which talks about VPA and it looks like it may actually up-regulate 5-HT2A if I'm reading it right?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15312182/

Last edited:
I've been on VPA for almost 6 years now (2000mg/day) and I find I only get positive effects from it. I take it to help smooth out my mood because I am bi-polar and it defiantly helps a lot.

One of my best friends was on depakote when he was younger, for years, and he said he absolutely could not trip no matter what while he was on it.

Should this be added to the "Dangerous Combination" Thread in PD?

I am also interested in the details. I only know that valproic acid strains the liver.

I personally think PD needs a medications interactions guide. I know there is a thread, but it would seem very helpful if that were condensed into a guide.
Hopefully if that is to happen I won't have to do all of it myself. But first I'd like opinions on the idea.

Something I'd give a shot at making, if I knew all the required info...it's fairly quiet at work right now lol

I think it's a great idea, and I'd help. Something like, list each medication people are prescribed, and then state the interactions with psychedelics.

Thanks I knew I could count on you guys, I mostly meant to express in my previous post that I've got a lot on my mind right now... so seemed like too much of a challenge. I'll get a thread started on it so that we can gain some support and maybe people chipping in with quoted old posts / old threads that contain key information about a certain interaction, if not writing one in own words. NSP type folks would be most welcome to proofread and check it. :)

One of my best friends was on depakote when he was younger, for years, and he said he absolutely could not trip no matter what while he was on it.

Hmm... That's contrary to everything I've heard. Depakote isn't usually used by itself but rather as an adjunct therapy (except for extreme bipolar which results in toxic dosages to keep the mania at bay), you sure he wasn't on anything else?

I've read a few reports of people using drugs on Depakote and if anything it seemed to potentiate them but not dangerously so, like a 25% lower dose needed.

I don't know if he was on anything else, he just told me that the depakote caused him to not be able to trip. It's entirely likely he was on something else too. Maybe he was on an SSRI and didn't think to attribute it to that.

SSRIs generally tend to make you trip harder as does Depakote. The only drugs I'm aware of that block trips are the antipsychotic medications, ESPECIALLY the atypicals. If anything, an SNRI or SSRI would make you trip more. More 5-HT2A to hit, dirty or not.

Now for sure I know that for most people SSRIs severely block your ability to trip. I've never heard anyone say that SSRIs made them trip harder. Best case I've heard from a few people is that they don't make much difference... a lot of people report tripping much less intensely or not being able to trip whatsoever.

Yea SSRIs definitely make it much harder to nigh impossible to trip.

However, if you google it, there's an odd phenomena in that for each SSRI, they'll block the effects of most (well known enough to have been studied or have had a large enough sample size) psychedelics except one or two, each "allowing" effects of different ones.

Really really bad way of describing it, but I hope it gets the point across.

Well I'm weird. I was able to roll my ass off on 20mg of Celexa but I never tried to trip... I've known friends who got wrecked taking lsd on effexor and zoloft, respectively.

How would ssri drugs block psych? Seem odd.