• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

valium taper question

Yeah, the positive side of benzo withdrawal is that increased cognition and creativity. It can feel almost compulsive but is enjoyable in a way.

Yeah, the positive side of benzo withdrawal is that increased cognition and creativity. It can feel almost compulsive but is enjoyable in a way.
that is positive.
I was also taking opiates a few times a week to function, but for some reason, stopped taking them 6 days ago, never have I had a more depressing 6 days. Dunno why I stopped. I'm also tapering lyrica. Even though I dunno why I stopped opiates, I keep saying I will use tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes, i dont bother, yet I cannot leave my house without them.
This opiate detox hasnt made any sense to me. I have a 70mg valium habit, but the opiate detox should have hurt more, but the fatigue and depression are terrible.
Dunno why but right now, I'm not sure I will use opiates in the near future, and if I do use again, it wont be a few times a week.

It's definitely tricky to try and quit / taper two major addicting drugs like benzos and opiates at the same time, or even vary your use of one of them while you are trying to mostly taper the other... let alone also tapering lyrica.

Not trying to demotivate you - on the contrary I hope, in the end - but while wanting to take less is admirable and not feeling the need / craving is good... a huge body of experience has taught us all that it is best or even essential to stabilize your other drug regimens while you taper a drug/medication.

While you are stabilized, drug/enzyme interactions should also matter less because whatever interaction there is (assuming it is not a major contraindication = health problem to begin with) you have grown used to it. This stable basis maximizes chances of tapering and quitting - when you have done that you can start tapering / quitting another one until you're done. Additionally, when you vary your drug use and tapers too much with multiple drugs it becomes very hard to say what is causing which issues.

At the same time, getting more depressed etc would be more directly related to the varied use of multiple drugs.

If you don't, then not only is it more difficult and unpredictable a process, but the bigger and unexpected ups and downs are also more likely to lead you to seeking out other drugs like cannabis etc which can further complicate things. Although I concede there are worse things than cannabis, but this was already discussed.

So please, go one at a time.. don't fret, try to get help with it if you can, make a plan with your dosage tapers - first tapering and quitting one drugs before starting with the others... write exactly when you step down and what you take precisely.

I know it's hard, and may be particularly different from habits to take drugs and meds to cope.. it is with good intentions since you want to ensure your well-being so that your taper succeeds, but it actually turns out it makes it more difficult in by far most cases.

Good luck, manage yourself your symptoms and expectations well and go for it! :)

It's definitely tricky to try and quit / taper two major addicting drugs like benzos and opiates at the same time, or even vary your use of one of them while you are trying to mostly taper the other... let alone also tapering lyrica.

Not trying to demotivate you - on the contrary I hope, in the end - but while wanting to take less is admirable and not feeling the need / craving is good... a huge body of experience has taught us all that it is best or even essential to stabilize your other drug regimens while you taper a drug/medication.

While you are stabilized, drug/enzyme interactions should also matter less because whatever interaction there is (assuming it is not a major contraindication = health problem to begin with) you have grown used to it. This stable basis maximizes chances of tapering and quitting - when you have done that you can start tapering / quitting another one until you're done. Additionally, when you vary your drug use and tapers too much with multiple drugs it becomes very hard to say what is causing which issues.

At the same time, getting more depressed etc would be more directly related to the varied use of multiple drugs.

If you don't, then not only is it more difficult and unpredictable a process, but the bigger and unexpected ups and downs are also more likely to lead you to seeking out other drugs like cannabis etc which can further complicate things. Although I concede there are worse things than cannabis, but this was already discussed.

So please, go one at a time.. don't fret, try to get help with it if you can, make a plan with your dosage tapers - first tapering and quitting one drugs before starting with the others... write exactly when you step down and what you take precisely.

I know it's hard, and may be particularly different from habits to take drugs and meds to cope.. it is with good intentions since you want to ensure your well-being so that your taper succeeds, but it actually turns out it makes it more difficult in by far most cases.

Good luck, manage yourself your symptoms and expectations well and go for it! :)

Hi Solipsis
I fully agree with everything you said, and I tapered valium, seroquel and trazodone separately before, but I didnt have to buy them. I have to buy the codeine, pregab and valium and I can no longer afford them, as I have a home in need of renovation and no job due to illness.
I kicked the codeine last Friday, and I feel unwilling to go back on it, even though it allows me to leave the flat, and I have been housebound for 8 days, I don't want to go back on it as its yet another drug to add to the mix.