• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Valium - first time would like to prevent addiction

tripsteady871

Greenlighter
Hi All

So I've recently acquired a fairly large amount of 5mg valium tablets.

I have anxiety and depression - valium really helps settle the body, so I can at least move towards the anxious thoughts, note cognitive distortions and even move back into the body and face the anxiety. Without this, I am in a constant state of panic, always feeling like I'm in danger, with no danger to be found, racing thoughts etc (yes, ive been on SSRI's, MAOI's, years of therapy, deep introspection and meditation and am about to start on psychedelic therapy etc. ) I've finally decided to face all these emotions and thoughts head on, so I gave up SSRI's completely a month ago and simply sat with the large amoun of physical and emotional pains that occured. I have now gotten to the point that no further working with these sensations or introspection is possible, due to the body being in a constant state of stress - which 5mg of Valium obliterated in under 30min (imagine my surprise, Ive been working with my mind and with doctors for years and a simple pill instantly fixed it all). I was unable to even discuss this with my doctor as the country Im in looks at those who use drugs, as the worst kind of criminals (they recently outlawed OTC codeine lol)

After a month i decided that I needed an acute solution - something to help me get through the next few months without having to be a slave to an SSRI again - and that I could stop at a moments notice when the worst part of the SSRI withdrawal was over - this is where Valium came in.

My question - I've heard how addictive benzos can be. Ive heard how bad the withdrawals from benzos are. I do not want to get caught in a cycle that will be difficult to get out of.

I use 5mg a day in the morning before work, and then 5mg at other times if the anxiety flares up. I have never exceeded 20mg a day and never plan to. I do not get euphoria on this, just a lack of impending doom, which is in itself, calming.

At these dosages, how safe am I? What are the warning signs I should watch out for with benzo addiction?

Last edited:
If you must take valium for your condition then take it irregularly like now and again. Keep the dosage to a minimum, for example take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night, give several days between dosing and you should be fine.

As others have said there isn't really a minimum daily dose to avoid dependency, especially as that effect of calming your sense of doom will grow weaker and weaker until you up the dose. So take when required rather than routinely. Keeps the effect working.

Hi All

I have anxiety and depression - valium really helps settle the body, so I can at least move towards the anxious thoughts, note cognitive distortions and even move back into the body and face the anxiety. Without this, I am in a constant state of panic, always feeling like I'm in danger, with no danger to be found, racing thoughts etc (yes, ive been on SSRI's, MAOI's, years of therapy, deep introspection and meditation and am about to start on psychedelic therapy etc. ) I've finally decided to face all these emotions and thoughts head on, so I gave up SSRI's completely a month ago and simply sat with the large amoun of physical and emotional pains that occured. I have now gotten to the point that no further working with these sensations or introspection is possible, due to the body being in a constant state of stress - which 5mg of Valium obliterated in under 30min (imagine my surprise, Ive been working with my mind and with doctors for years and a simple pill instantly fixed it all). I was unable to even discuss this with my doctor as the country Im in looks at those who use drugs, as the worst kind of criminals (they recently outlawed OTC codeine lol)

After a month i decided that I needed an acute solution - something to help me get through the next few months without having to be a slave to an SSRI again - and that I could stop at a moments notice when the worst part of the SSRI withdrawal was over - this is where Valium came in.

My question - I've heard how addictive benzos can be. Ive heard how bad the withdrawals from benzos are. I do not want to get caught in a cycle that will be difficult to get out of.

I use 5mg a day in the morning before work, and then 5mg at other times if the anxiety flares up. I have never exceeded 20mg a day and never plan to. I do not get euphoria on this, just a lack of impending doom, which is in itself, calming.

At these dosages, how safe am I? What are the warning signs I should watch out for with benzo addiction?
My first experience with benzo withdrawal side effects was with Xanax .5 mg 3x a day for a month ,fucked up my sleep/nights for a month, Not much else,

yeah the fact this family of drugs is know ans anti-anxiety meds make me hesitant to even mention increased anxiety as a warning sign for WD onset - increased anxiety is a given coming down / off these drugs for pretty much everyone I would imagine.
My second time around with benzos was worse ,I took them longer, yes the anxiety was paralyzing sometimes,the lack of sleep gets me too , I never had anxiety before taking them.
I respect the power of the benzo now , best used for air travel.

Hi All

Sorry, I'm going to be quite blunt here... I was once the same as you, thinking if I educated myself enough I could somehow navigate my around benzo dependency. I started off taking much less than yourself (10 mg once per week) this rapidly progressed to me taking unparalleled amounts within months!

That was 12 years ago. Fast forward to today, and due to countless cold turkey withdrawals, I'm now damaged long term. The suffering I wouldn't wish on anyone. If (when) you do become dependent and you wish to stop, please just remember to taper very slowly to reduce the risk of causing unnecessary pain.

You could be part of the lucky minority and not suffer any withdrawal symptoms. Or, you could be part of the unlucky minority and suffer harrowing withdrawal symptoms.. Such as, seizures, psychosis, catatonia etc etc...

Be careful ;)

yeah the fact this family of drugs is know ans anti-anxiety meds make me hesitant to even mention increased anxiety as a warning sign for WD onset - increased anxiety is a given coming down / off these drugs for pretty much everyone I would imagine.
would there be a 'come down' with a dose as low as 5mg. if I take 5mg in the morning, I'm usually still calm by the night and don't need to redose. are u saying that tolerance and withdrawal can build even with 5mg daily use?

Last edited:
t
Sorry, I'm going to be quite blunt here... I was once the same as you, thinking if I educated myself enough I could somehow navigate my around benzo dependency. I started off taking much less than yourself (10 mg once per week) this rapidly progressed to me taking unparalleled amounts within months!

That was 12 years ago. Fast forward to today, and due to countless cold turkey withdrawals, I'm now damaged long term. The suffering I wouldn't wish on anyone. If (when) you do become dependent and you wish to stop, please just remember to taper very slowly to reduce the risk of causing unnecessary pain.

You could be part of the lucky minority and not suffer any withdrawal symptoms. Or, you could be part of the unlucky minority and suffer harrowing withdrawal symptoms.. Such as, seizures, psychosis, catatonia etc etc...

Be careful ;)
thank you, I think il use absolutely sparingly and only when needed.

thank u for the reply. yeah I think ik going to use sparingly, never daily and only when anxiety is at its peak. its way too dangerous. I thought the fact that there was no euphoria would be a saving grace and make it impossible to get addicted, but I do love the calm, so I can see myself chasing that.
I realized I never really answered your question.

Minor headaches / cold hot flashes / sleep disruption / increased anxiety are the first symptoms most people seem to experience in regards to benzos WDs from what I can gather in case you were looking for symptoms / not general advice.

If you find yourself with a morning headache that feels better after your morning dose or having trouble falling asleep with out your nightcap dose that would be a warning sign.

thank you, il do as others have suggested and not even do it daily, only when needed, only ever 5mg at a time and never more then 5mg in a 24 hr period
Dosages of 5 to 20mg a day of valium are on the lower end. If you are taking say on average 10mg a day everyday you will eventually form a minor addiction to them (will probably take several months of daily use), but it will be on the lower end. I have taken upwards of 1.5 to 2mg of clonazepam (am converting to a equivalent does of a know benzo from a less common RC one I actually take), a much higher dose than 10mg valium, for 50+ days and "gotten away" with it - not advising that though.

I would focus on keeping your dose low (10mg a day is a good goal) and never increase it.

A second goal would be to try to take 2 or 3 days a week off from your valium if you can.

Do you have a prescription? I wouldn't want to even take it everyday, or maybe even at all, without a prescription. That is because if you start taking a benzo everyday then you need a steady supply to prevent withdrawals and seizures.

I was prescribed 20mg of Valium per day for like 4-5 years and had multiple seizures from attempting to taper off them over periods ranging from 5-7 days. It wasn't until I went to rehab and they tapered me off after 10 days because I told them about my previous tapering attempts that I was able to get off of it.

I took phenazepam daily for a year or so once a day with no script, but that's only because at the time whole grams of phenazepam powder were cheap and easy to get.

yes
Do you have a prescription? I wouldn't want to even take it everyday, or maybe even at all, without a prescription. That is because if you start taking a benzo everyday then you need a steady supply to prevent withdrawals and seizures.

I was prescribed 20mg of Valium per day for like 4-5 years and had multiple seizures from attempting to taper off them over periods ranging from 5-7 days. It wasn't until I went to rehab and they tapered me off after 10 days because I told them about my previous tapering attempts that I was able to get off of it.

I took phenazepam daily for a year or so once a day with no script, but that's only because at the time whole grams of phenazepam powder were cheap and easy to get.
I did have a prescription for antonex - I had a bottle of 50, 5mg ones - for when my anxiety was debilitating or I couldn't sleep- yes I saw valium as that harmless. I took like 10-15mg a night once or twice a week for recreational purposes, sometimes I even did 30-40mg. It did nothing but made me sleepy so I forgot about it for a few months. Never experienced a come come or anything at all the next day. finally stopped my SSRI'S so anxiety is in full force. remembered I had valium, downed one of those 5mg and the entire weight of the world lifted off me. immediately went and bought (without a prescription this time) another 100 5mg tabs to use..whenever the anxiety is to much. u can never have too much of something that is an instant anxiety killer right???...then I realised I could be heading into dangerous waters so posted this...and lo and behold...should have not bought the other 100 lol. will literally keep this for when the anxiety is unbearable, I may never finish the supply I have but fuck getting into a benzo addiction, life is hard as it is

Last edited:

Be careful ;)
thank you, I prefer you to be blunt. I'd rather know what I'm getting myself into instead of being coddled.

yes

I did have a prescription for antonex - I had a bottle of 50, 5mg ones - for when my anxiety was debilitating or I couldn't sleep- yes I saw valium as that harmless. I took like 10-15mg a night once or twice a week for recreational purposes, sometimes I even did 30-40mg. It did nothing but made me sleepy so I forgot about it for a few months. Never experienced a come come or anything at all the next day. finally stopped my SSRI'S so anxiety is in full force. remembered I had valium, downed one of those 5mg and the entire weight of the world lifted off me. immediately went and bought (without a prescription this time) another 100 5mg tabs to use..whenever the anxiety is to much. u can never have too much of something that is an instant anxiety killer right???...then I realised I could be heading into dangerous waters so posted this...and lo and behold...should have not bought the other 100 lol. will literally keep this for when the anxiety is unbearable, I may never finish the supply I have but fuck getting into a benzo addiction, life is hard as it is
Having those pills laying around may lead you to succumb to temptation... Also, something I didn't mention in my previous post on the subject, is, that Benzodiazepines are known to exacerbate, or even cause depression. Which is something you mention in your original post that you suffer from. Unfortunately, depression and anxiety often come hand in hand.. And as the anxiety can often be what is causing the depression, it makes this class of drugs almost contradictory in the way they affect us.

The information on this site here is gold - Welcome to benzo.org.uk : Main Page

I looked at them the same way, I didn’t start them regularly until I had over a years supply in my possession, I wouldn’t wanna rely on my relationship with a doctor or just because I’m able to source them online when you get started,

I would emphasize this. Even with a script, doctors might try to fuck you, leaving you with with serious consequences. Unfortunately, doctors are the gatekeepers of BZDs now. You have to schmooze the right one to stay on them. Speaking from experience, over two years now on daily alprazolam.

thanks for all the help guys, you are a wealth of info. I've decided to no longer even use daily and keep it for severe circumstances, unbearable anxiety/panic attacks and nothing else. May never use it again hopefully.

Good decision.
As a survivor of addictions to alcohol, cocaine, opioids, methamphetamine, and benzodiazepines, I can absolutely affirm that benzo addiction is both the sneakiest to fall victim to and the most painful to get out of.
Of ALL drugs, benzos are the only ones that I will 100% avoid in the future.

benzo don't work long term in most people (lets say 80% of them)
for me 1.25mg lorazepam was do the trick but after 3 months (15days on 15 off) i started need 7.5mg ,then now after few years if i took 5mg today it will works, but in the next day instantly i need 112.5mg lorazepam to feel anything

now i used them one day every 45 days less then that it will not works for me.
i still did not get dependence in them, so think about cycling seriously! or you will end up taking them just to not be in withdrawal
Wth you talking about?
i take both diazepam and clonazepam dsily and they both work every single time.
Lorazepam never did the trick for me.