• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using opiates as an antidepression

the negatives of opiates are withdrawals, which wouldnt happen if the supply wasnt stopped suddenly or at all by the doctor. Also , when the opiate" high" wears off after a few weeks, it doesnt mean the anti -depressent effects automatically do . I dont think theres an argument for not giving such benign drugs like opiates to our mental health patients and not only as a last resort imo.
There are far worse mental hells than addiction or withdrawals, as any bipolar or depressive patient will tell you.

Last edited:
the negatives of opiates are withdrawals, which wouldnt happen if the supply wasnt stopped suddenly or if at all by the doctor. Also , when the opiate high wears off after a few weeks, it doesnt mean the anti -depressent effects automatically do . I dont think theres an argument for not giving such benign drugs like opiates to our mental health patients and not only as a last resort imo.
There are far worse mental hells than addiction or withdrawals as any bipolar or depressive patient will tell you.

Good post!

I agree that opiates aren't the best first line treatment for depression, however I don't think it's necessary to call someone stupid because they think it works for them or may work for them. They may not have had as much experience with opiates as some of us have and they may not know about all the other anti depressant options.

It can be hard to find the right anti depressant, I've tried a few and only had wellbutrin work and it didn't work much longer than a few months. Alot of anti d's have withdrawal syndromes that are similar to opiates anyway. It'll always be a controversial subject, and I don't think there is an answer, we are all different and different things work for different people.

I personally think suboxone would be the best candidate for an opioid antidepressant, the longest I've been on it is a month and it's worked better than any other anti depressant I've tried however I've heard that people become more depressed after being on it for a long time.

Depression is a bitch and the solution is rarely as simple as a pill, it's almost always a combination of things that allow someone to overcome depression. The Opiate as Anti-Depressant debate will probably always be a sensitive issue.

I also agree that if they were legal or are prescribed they have a better chance of working for at least a while.