• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using opiates as an antidepression

I took fluoxetine for ~6 months, 40mgs a day. Went from that dose to nothing overnight, and I never experienced any "withdrawal" symptoms. I might be in the minority here, but I couldn't tell any difference of how I felt. My doctor indicated to me that there shouldn't be any noticeable effects from prozac cessation. I know docs don't always tell the truth, but he seemed especially nonchalant about this, as if he'd never heard of it before.

Last edited:
Personally, I just hate the way doctors treat any drug that makes you feel better and kills mental pain. these effects are somehow classed as "a dangerous side effect" but they hand out anti-depressants like toffees, which dont work in most people and if they do, it takes" 4-6 weeks of taking them to start feeling better".
Apart from the obvious reason of addiction ,what is wrong with any drug that gives instant mental relief? and imo addiction may be secondary and a very small price to pay for the lifting of years of crushing anxiety and depression. (i bet over 50% of drug addicts ive known , have other mental health problems besides addiction, thats why they take street drugs + areself medicating)

Last edited:
the situation u r in is very messed up.... i have a FRIEND WHOS FATHER SHOT HIMSELF with a shotgun, my friend was about 7 yrs old at the time, he heard the shot and ran into the room to see his father layin there.....

now hes been thru the hole heroin, cocaine, every hard drug there is bullshit.... he now just smoked weed but has a terrible life...due to his bad dessisions

yes opies are the best for short term relief, but the question is...do u want to get better for the future or worse for the future... cuz u can fix ur problem for a few hours, but not forever, and ur problems will just be getting worse..

try talking to people, like therapy, it WORKS ...

true happiness will come thru being clearminded most of the week, making money to keep the bills paid, having a place to go back to AKA a fucking house or apt...having a girlfriend...having a hobby like sports, working out, shootin guns, paintballing, skydivin... anything to keep u happy and looking forward to life...

if u think ur depressed now, wait til ur a year deep into heroin shootin up 20 bags a day, which will turn into 10 years 30bags a day JUST TO GET BAG, needing 40bags just to get high... and it takes u 5 shots to even get a rush, now thats pathetic

Personally, I just hate the way doctors treat any drug that makes you feel better and kills mental pain. these effects are somehow classed as "a dangerous side effect" but they hand out anti-depressants like toffees, which dont work in most people and if they do, it takes" 4-6 weeks of taking them to start feeling better".
Apart from the obvious reason of addiction ,what is wrong with any drug that gives instant mental relief? and imo addiction may be secondary and a very small price to pay for the lifting of years of crushing anxiety and depression. (i bet 50% of drug addicts ive know , have other mental health problems besides addiction, thats why they take street drugs + areself medicating)

its called doctor shopping cuz there are a shit load of drs who will give u what u want....

and there are regulations, they are all in the business for the money but some doctos just want more money and get there patients addicted...

these doctors dont make a killin like they used to thats why mad doctors DO GIVE out scripts easily

the situation u r in is very messed up.... i have a FRIEND WHOS FATHER SHOT HIMSELF with a shotgun, my friend was about 7 yrs old at the time, he heard the shot and ran into the room to see his father layin there.....

now hes been thru the hole heroin, cocaine, every hard drug there is bullshit.... he now just smoked weed but has a terrible life...due to his bad dessisions

yes opies are the best for short term relief, but the question is...do u want to get better for the future or worse for the future... cuz u can fix ur problem for a few hours, but not forever, and ur problems will just be getting worse..

try talking to people, like therapy, it WORKS ...

true happiness will come thru being clearminded most of the week, making money to keep the bills paid, having a place to go back to AKA a fucking house or apt...having a girlfriend...having a hobby like sports, working out, shootin guns, paintballing, skydivin... anything to keep u happy and looking forward to life...

if u think ur depressed now, wait til ur a year deep into heroin shootin up 20 bags a day, which will turn into 10 years 30bags a day JUST TO GET BAG, needing 40bags just to get high... and it takes u 5 shots to even get a rush, now thats pathetic

Its funny that you say paintballing because when my dad passed, i went full on to paintballing. Traveling all over the U.S. to play nppl and psp events and so forth. That was honestly the happiest i think id ever been in my life since my dad had died. To bad the scene around here has died :(

@100mgbluepill

I agree with some of what you say but most of the opiates negative effects come from them being illegal and expensive.

Using opiates to get high and feel better? Yea it'll work until your tolerence goes up and it dosen't make you feel that great anymore, and you just need it to be "not sick" or in withdrawl.

Opiates are not effective as anti-depressants in the long-term, and will end up fucking your life up, as so many people in this thread have said.

I recently went on suboxone and paxil, I already feel a boost from the paxil, and feel better than I have mentally in a long time. I did heroin most everyday for 4 years, it was great for the first few months but after I got to a certain point I needed them just to not be sick and it was so much stress, getting money for, obtaining, and using heroin consumed my life, I'm not exagerating either, doing heroin became my definition of happiness and thats really no way to live. I was suicidal and tried to od many times just to end the never-ending struggle to stay well and all the bullshit. Ended up completly isolated only hanging out with a couple friends I used with.

To the op.. You said you were hooked on some opiate before, you should go on suboxone to stop your cravings and withdrawl from any opiates your taking, it may have some anti-depressant properties and regardless you won't be chasing the pipe dream that is curing your depression with other opiates.

When you get your suboxone and get evened out a bit from it and off other opiates you can try some other anti-depressants and see what works. I tried prozac when I was younger and effexor with zyprexa as an older teen, then wellbutrin a year or two ago, never felt much from the wellbutrin and nothing from the other two.. I already feel the paxil after 1 week, you just have to try diffrent ones and see what works for you.

These people that say you'll be dependant on it while trying to suggest opiates are a good idea for depression long term?? LOL at least anti-depresants are legal and cheap if you get the generics.. And the suboxone is an opiate and I think if your just bent on being on an opiate its the best thing, since you can get a monthly script and not have to go to the methadone clinic everyday or cop heroin or pills to feel better.

Just trying to save you years of headaches and struggles your going to get into if you keep chasing opiates as the answer to your unhappiness..

~been there, done that

"Just trying to save you years of headaches and struggles your going to get into if you keep chasing opiates as the answer to your unhappiness.."

Yes but if they were legal and only given to severe depressives who "common" anti - d.'s dont work for then there wouldnt be any chasing as such. All the main negatives of opiates are that a doctor wont prescribe them for addiction or other life threatening mental disorders like some depressive episodes can be and you have to buy on the street. If they are free (or allmost)
goverment controled why not stay on them for life?, like many people do with mood stabilisers, anti d's etc..

"Just trying to save you years of headaches and struggles your going to get into if you keep chasing opiates as the answer to your unhappiness.."

Yes but if they were legal and only given to severe depressives who "common" anti - d.'s dont work for then there wouldnt be any chasing as such. All the main negatives of opiates are that a doctor wont prescribe them for addiction or other life threatening mental disorders like some depressive episodes can be and you have to buy on the street. If they are free (or allmost)
goverment controled why not stay on them for life?, like many people do with mood stabilisers, anti d's etc..

Bingo, exactly!

I read the ops post and the first 4 replys and stopped after that due to shock and awe! No one corrected op as to kpins and xanax are NOT anti depressants!! Those arre benzos ( anti anxiety). Also I know this is a drug website, but using opiates as an anti depressant is extremely stupid. The joy you feel on them is you getting high, nothing else. When you stop taking them you will feel even worse than before while going through WD's. They are like a bank of happiness that charges high intrest rates.... You feel great at first, but the WD's and DEPRESSION that follows is your intrest.

With severe depression and anxiety being a withdrawal symptom it is a very bad idea to use these as an anti depressant.

Ya agreed.. I was on oxycontin 80mg for a while, began shooting them, quickly lead to heroin use. When i wasnt on them i'd be lazy. Didnt wanna do a thing..

After i'd had a shot, i would make meals, play music, do stuff around my house... It was a total motivator for me.. I have adhd and i think it definitely has something to do with the chemical inbalances with the brain... but everyone i spose is right and has touched on the same thing - i went through withdrawals many many times... its horrible. and WD's from oxycontin is worse than wd from heroin... you dont really wanna go down that path..

I do not need to read the rest of the thread. The original post was enough to know you are depressed and use a powerful drug to get high to feel good. Bottom line is you will feel great while high and feel like shit when not high. Accept it or not, that's what it is.

I only read the first page of replies after reading the post & I'm pretty shocked @ some of the "advice" I saw. Using opiates daily as an anti-depressant is pretty much never going to work in the long run.

I've heard about & seen first hand a lot of cases where people self-medicate with opiates or another drug to substitutue for an anti-depressent, or to just use them every day in general only to end up in rehabs, jail, or dead. I'm not playing "doctor" or "counselor" here or anything, because I was hooked on lortabs before & used to blaze everyday. I'm not a saint, none of us are.

I'm not saying it's bad to use them recreationally here & there (as long as its reasonable) for the fun of it because a lot of people do that & get by just fine, but by reading your post I can tell you've been through a lot & self-medicating with OC's & Percs everyday just to get by could lead you down a road you don't wanna travel. I'm not saying it will, just saying it COULD if you let it get out of hand.

Just be smart with that sh&t man & in the meantime try to find ways to deal with & accept what you've been through so that you can move on & one day not have to pop opiates everyday to deal with how you feel. Whether it's talking about it, (doesn't have to be a counselor maybe just someone you know & trust) trying different meds, or whatever. At least give other things a try before you get hooked on opiates too bad & you're left taking more & more.

Last edited:
The original poster has tried several anti-depressants & they have not worked. There is only so much a person can take in life like being miserable & so on. If anti-depressants themselves induce suicidal thoughts like we all know for a fact they can, why not try a different method. We all know how addictive opiates can be but if being addicted to opiates is something depressed people are willing to chance compared to being miserable all their lives or contemplating suicide, I rather recommend the opiates no matter what other feel about it.

No one knows what the other perssons problems are & if anti-depressants wrok, thats great! If not, try something else!

I was trying to keep this as personal info but when i was 15 i was switched to a new anti depressant that was supposed to help with sleep and it put me in the emergency room the first time i took it. Ever since then they have been skeptical on ssri's and tried the anxiety pills which obviously didnt work. So the only thing that has ever worked are opiates.

I have been taken off the subbys and im being switched to 10/325 percs for the time being. I have chronic stomach issues and my doc was informed on my situation with opiates and he said we would try the percs first to see if they work and if they dont we might be switching to methadones or like a oxycodone/hydrocloride mix. Ill let you guys know how things go.

Well either way good luck to you. I just wanted to throw in any good advice I thought I could give.

I'm not in the exact boat you are because everyone goes through different experiences, but I'm dealing with some sh$t too & it's been rough on me. I'm on anxiety meds now just to try & maintain & sometimes wonder how much longer I'll make it through. Hope everything works out for you.