• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Using Kratom for Methadone Withdrawal

theheidilynn

Greenlighter
A bit of background information about myself. I am 24, female, 5'2 and weigh 145lbs. I've been on methadone for 6.5 years. The highest dose I have been on has been 60mg and I'm currently on 5mg (have been tapering for 4 years at 1mg a month or longer). Going by that, I'll be down to 1-2mg by October.
Withdrawal is a fear of mine and when I do experience it I feel it very badly. I had no idea what I was going to do once at 1mg so I started researching what others have done to make that leap and came across the term 'Kratom'.
I did a whole bunch of reading and researching on exactly what this is and it seems like a godsend. I live in Canada and found a supplier online and it seems, for withdrawal, Red Kalimantan is the strain people are using.
Originally I was intending to make the leap from 1mg to 0 during the Christmas holidays (work is slow, I have some time off) but now with this new hope of Kratom I want to do it as soon as possible. I'm just wondering if Kratom would make me function enough for work. Its just a desk job but when going through withdrawal even moving in the slightest ways hurt. Would I have to wait a day or so until the withdrawals kick in to start taking Kratom? Should I continue with my taper all the way down to 1mg first?
My methadone Dr is not a very nice person and is not lenient with me. I have to drive 5 hours once a month to see him and each visit I'm there for about 20 seconds. I have never had a dirty drug test and I'm in a prime position to be off of Methadone. I have no contacts into the drug world anymore, I have a new set of friends, and everyone is very supportive.
I have heard each dosage varies per individual. I've heard people say 'to alleviate opiate withdrawal symptoms take 10g-12g on your first dose' and then I heard others say 5g.

Any answers, advice or experiences you could share would be tremendously appreciated!

Congrats on your progress. We have 4 megathreads devoted to kratom that you may want to check out. It will indeed help alleviate symptoms but just be aware that you won't be truly opioid-free until you cut the kratom out too. It's a god send in terms of legality, availability, price, strength (or lack thereof) and relatively mild withdrawal. You will still feel 'off' for the first few days until you stabilize but I'd expect it to remove > 50% of symptoms allowing you to be functional.

People have tried and failed to jump from methadone to weaker opioids but they're generally on much higher doses. The problem with methadone is the blocking effect which will prevent other weaker opioids from attaching. Lucky for you in doses of < 5mg this isn't as a big of a concern. Once you stabilize on kratom I would spend a month being comfortable and then start your taper. You want to stay on kratom long enough to mask the methadone withdrawal, which happens to be a long drawn-out process that can be attributed to it's long half life.

Kratom withdrawal is like codeine withdrawal in my experience. Stay away from enhanced blends and extracts or you might as well swap your methadone for oxycodone.

Good luck.

If I decided that tomorrow morning I wouldn't drink my methadone and had the Kratom on me ready to start taking, if you were in my boots, is that when you would start taking the Kratom? Or would you wait till symptoms presented?

You can take it right away... If you don't get the results your looking for, try a different vendor. Granted, like someone said, 1 mg methadone is weaker than the kratom, but on the plus side, the wd is about 3 days. Use it to get over the long methadone process, and jump.

You can take it right away... If you don't get the results your looking for, try a different vendor. Granted, like someone said, 1 mg methadone is weaker than the kratom, but on the plus side, the wd is about 3 days. Use it to get over the long methadone process, and jump.
I'm currently on 5mg. Do you think I should wait till I get down even lower to give it a shot?

Kratom is what everyone describes it to be. It works well for withdrawals, you'll even catch a buzz off it since your methadone dose is so low. But that's the issue.

With your taper, as slow as it is, you stand to experience little to no withdrawal symptoms. Kratom would just be a setback.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just keep going down 1mg every week.

Honestly, if you're tired of the taper, you could jump to the kratom now and use as described... or as the poster above pointed out, if you're doing well on the taper, you could just ride it out. A jump at 1mg will be so low level, you could probably control symptoms with an amino acid protocol, like dlpa for energy, and l-methionine for relaxation, plus kava and melatonin. Half a dozen, you know?

Honestly, if you're tired of the taper, you could jump to the kratom now and use as described... or as the poster above pointed out, if you're doing well on the taper, you could just ride it out. A jump at 1mg will be so low level, you could probably control symptoms with an amino acid protocol, like dlpa for energy, and l-methionine for relaxation, plus kava and melatonin. Half a dozen, you know?
I have asked my dispensary pharmacists will it be easier to come off of 1mg vs 100mg and they said 'Its just as hard' and then I proceeded to ask 'well whats the whole point of the taper program?'... they had no answer. Even now at 5mg if I dont get my dose right away I start feeling it pretty bad. I know its a lot to do with anxiety and my mind makes it worse at times but that doesn't make it any less real to me. I have the Kratom ordered as of yesterday so I am determined to give this a try.

Thank you for your insight and advice!

I have asked my dispensary pharmacists will it be easier to come off of 1mg vs 100mg and they said 'Its just as hard' and then I proceeded to ask 'well whats the whole point of the taper program?'... they had no answer. Even now at 5mg if I dont get my dose right away I start feeling it pretty bad. I know its a lot to do with anxiety and my mind makes it worse at times but that doesn't make it any less real to me. I have the Kratom ordered as of yesterday so I am determined to give this a try.

Thank you for your insight and advice!

Of course they'd say that. They just want you to keep dosing for the rest of your life. But, it's utter bullshit. A slow taper like yours, with such a small drop in mgs, means that most of the WDs you experience will arise from your scared mental state. Your brain is powerful thing. If you approach this the way you're approaching it right now, you'll suffer more than you'll have to. Jumping off at 100mg will be excruciatingly painful. Jumping off at 1mg with a taper as slow as yours is relatively painless.

Demigodz4lyfe is correct in saying that your symptoms, if you have any, will be so light you'll be able to control them with supplements.

If you're intending to get off opioid substances altogether, Kratom will only prolong the inevitable or lead you back into your addiction.

^^^agreed. sell or flush the kratom.
i know how hard that will be for you, but that's my advice. if you stay with the taper and jump at 1mg then you will feel a bit run down for a couple of weeks, but NOTHING like jumping at 100, and it sounds like this is what you're scared of.
however, if you must use the kratom, i'd say stop taking your meth as soon as your kratom arrives. dose 5g when you start feeling meth wd's and see where that gets you. stay on the kratom for 2-3 weeks, only using what you need to feel OK. your meth habit should be a kratom one by then. then take a week off work and go cold turkey from the krat; you should be okay after 4 days. maybe do the whole bed thing with some comfort meds like valerian root, paracetamol, ibuprofen, vitamins etc.

i'd reconsider though - jumping at 1mg methy isn't gonna cripple you.

I haven't a clue, well I do have a clue, as to how people end up subbing kratom for traditional opiates/opioids.

Everyone has their own unique reaction, but, for me, just dirty as fuck, anxiety, just meh, wish I could give it a glowing review.

Yteek... have you ever used it for withdrawl purposes? It seems to behave a little bit different than using it when you're naive. Has much less of that speedy effect and instead you just feel well.

Hi, I'm at 2.5mg of methadone, girl, 30 y/o, 5'2 110lbs been tapering for a few years and I'll tell u from personal experience - it is true that it's just as hard to come off at 1mg than it is at 100mg,your body adjusts to the amount so it's exactly the same, it isn't any easier at all, you'd get down to 0.25mgs and still be the same withdrawls as 100mgs I don't understand why they let ppl go up so high to begin with, it's just extra toxins in the body. I decided to quit methadone today and try kratom (got mine today) BC methadone has been just a nightmare for me and withdrawals are horrendous. I'll update on how it goes.

Hi, I'm at 2.5mg of methadone, girl, 30 y/o, 5'2 110lbs been tapering for a few years and I'll tell u from personal experience - it is true that it's just as hard to come off at 1mg than it is at 100mg,your body adjusts to the amount so it's exactly the same, it isn't any easier at all, you'd get down to 0.25mgs and still be the same withdrawls as 100mgs I don't understand why they let ppl go up so high to begin with, it's just extra toxins in the body. I decided to quit methadone today and try kratom (got mine today) BC methadone has been just a nightmare for me and withdrawals are horrendous. I'll update on how it goes.

I would have to disagree, 110mg detox i did 5 years agoo was much worse then coming off lower dosages. Alot of W/D at 1MG is mental, not to say you're not withdrawaling, im sure you are, after all you've been on it so damn long. When i get down to 10mg I am going to switch to a short acting opioid, its the best option if you cannot jump from 10mg.

keep in mind , 15g of kratom powdered leaf is roughly equalanalgesic to 25-42mg of morphine - but not all may be due to opiation- they say nucnta is 3:1 equalanalgesic, but thats bs due to it being a shitty srni, nucyntas opiation is 1/25th of morphine just about...

No way 100 mg. is the same as coming off 1 mg.

Exactly.

That's how you know someone never had to deal with REAL withdrawal before lol like instantly off a 3 gram of butyr-fent a day habit or cold turkey off of 110mg of done. She probably just means if she goes without for 2-3 days which isnt even the full amount of time for methadone withdrawal to kickin.

If you've made it this far OP, you don't need the Kratom. You've surmounted this major issue all by yourself. Don't go reaching for a crutch when the end is in sight. Don't make your entire period of maintenance and withdrawal essentially worthless by reinducting yourself on other Opioids. I say, down the road, like several days, if you are experiencing terribly PAWS, then you can use the Kratom then.

Just my opinion.

keep in mind , 15g of kratom powdered leaf is roughly equalanalgesic to 25-42mg of morphine - but not all may be due to opiation- they say nucnta is 3:1 equalanalgesic, but thats bs due to it being a shitty srni, nucyntas opiation is 1/25th of morphine just about...

I'm going to have to call bullshit. Even after years of abusing potent opiates, 5grams of Kratom gives me a nice little high and 8 grams is a strong dose and 10+grams make me nauseous and feel sick from to much. Maybe you need to find a better source for Kratom. This is coming from a guy that used to slam pure fentanyl powder and can drink several pounds of extremely bitter poppyseed tea and barely get a nod. The highs from Kratom and real opiates are different but Kratom is still pretty potent and had always been a life safer from withdrawals of high dose opiates, it's definitely way stronger then 40mg of morphine at 15grams of Kratom powder.