• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using benzos and alcohol (safely)

I've done it for years but if you don't have a tolerance it could potentially kill you.

as for why its different , well for 1 i have drank 100s of times, sometimes ive had say 8 drinks and been fine other times 8 drinks has gotten me a bit drunk. why? i dont know, maybe what i ate, my health, the state of my liver and other environmental or physical factors.
you can really do what you choose to but read up the combined effects of these medications when used with alcohol.

^^THIS^^ I partied for years and years, and ODed a couple times when I thought I was being very careful. Many factors can change the way your body reacts to the exact same combo of drugs/alcohol any given day or night Zon. The folks on here that are telling you that this is a no-no aren't trying to take your fun away (I think, I don't know what is in another person's head). The fact of the matter is, most of us here don't want to add another person to the BL shrine. Even having taken something as innocent as a couple aspirin, or having eaten certain foods can tie up important liver enzymes needed to remove some of the excess alcohol or benzo or both, causing it to build up higher than normal. It isn't usually when you are awake that is the problem. When you crash out after a night of hard partying, the body relaxes and then goes into deep sleep. Then your breathing can slow down to the point where you aren't getting enough oxygen, slowing it down more and more until it stops. You will not wake up if this happening, because your brain gets further and further sedated as oxygen drops on top of you already having 2 (or more) CNS depressants in you system. You may die. It happens all the time unfortunately Zon. It may not happen until the 50th or 100th time, or it could happen tomorrow, sadly. Also, lastly, many of us folks that like to ,party can have a moreish attitude (2mg and 4 beers was awesome, I want to take 4mg and have 6 beers next time) At first, one might not do it because they want to be safe, but the more times one gets away with it, the easier it is to say, 'f' it, I haven't died from (x amount) of drugs and alcohol yet, a little more next time surely won't be a problem. It is an easy mentality to accidentally slip into. And 'BAM' you're dead, or in a coma, or in jail.

Now, all that said, if you are insistent about doing this anyway, make sure you don't push the line of doing more then you usually do (still dangerous) and have a person around who is sober and coherent enough to keep an eye on you. Even that is not a perfectly safe thing, as benzos and alcohol intoxication can't be easily reversed once you are in trouble. There is no nalaxone type drug to reverse this type of thing like there is with opiates.

I hope you don't think I am talking to you like I think you are stupid, because I don't. I just had to answer your question with honesty. I have lost a lot of folks due to m9stakes made with drugs over the last 26 years that I have been in the drug world. I don't want you to be one too. I don't want anyone who reads this post to think it is OK to do this either, especially if you are anywhere new to the party scene! If you don't have YEARS of using drug combos like this, please don't think you can pull it off with little to no experience in knowing what your body feels like when you're OK and when you're in trouble. Even if you do know, you can die anyway! Be careful out there folks. RT

^^THIS^^ I partied for years and years, and ODed a couple times when I thought I was being very careful. Many factors can change the way your body reacts to the exact same combo of drugs/alcohol any given day or night Zon. The folks on here that are telling you that this is a no-no aren't trying to take your fun away (I think, I don't know what is in another person's head). The fact of the matter is, most of us here don't want to add another person to the BL shrine. Even having taken something as innocent as a couple aspirin, or having eaten certain foods can tie up important liver enzymes needed to remove some of the excess alcohol or benzo or both, causing it to build up higher than normal. It isn't usually when you are awake that is the problem. When you crash out after a night of hard partying, the body relaxes and then goes into deep sleep. Then your breathing can slow down to the point where you aren't getting enough oxygen, slowing it down more and more until it stops. You will not wake up if this happening, because your brain gets further and further sedated as oxygen drops on top of you already having 2 (or more) CNS depressants in you system. You may die. It happens all the time unfortunately Zon. It may not happen until the 50th or 100th time, or it could happen tomorrow, sadly. Also, lastly, many of us folks that like to ,party can have a moreish attitude (2mg and 4 beers was awesome, I want to take 4mg and have 6 beers next time) At first, one might not do it because they want to be safe, but the more times one gets away with it, the easier it is to say, 'f' it, I haven't died from (x amount) of drugs and alcohol yet, a little more next time surely won't be a problem. It is an easy mentality to accidentally slip into. And 'BAM' you're dead, or in a coma, or in jail.

Now, all that said, if you are insistent about doing this anyway, make sure you don't push the line of doing more then you usually do (still dangerous) and have a person around who is sober and coherent enough to keep an eye on you. Even that is not a perfectly safe thing, as benzos and alcohol intoxication can't be easily reversed once you are in trouble. There is no nalaxone type drug to reverse this type of thing like there is with opiates.

I hope you don't think I am talking to you like I think you are stupid, because I don't. I just had to answer your question with honesty. I have lost a lot of folks due to m9stakes made with drugs over the last 26 years that I have been in the drug world. I don't want you to be one too. I don't want anyone who reads this post to think it is OK to do this either, especially if you are anywhere new to the party scene! If you don't have YEARS of using drug combos like this, please don't think you can pull it off with little to no experience in knowing what your body feels like when you're OK and when you're in trouble. Even if you do know, you can die anyway! Be careful out there folks. RT

You don't need to appologize for honest posts, that is the reason I am here on BL to hear peoples opinions, and make decisions based on the combination of all the different opinions and what i have researched on my own.

I'd like to ask though what do you consider when you say you thought you were being careful?

I think many people might be misunderstanding my intentions a little. I am not trying to get high from this mix, just want to reduce my social anxiety which unfortunately is usually happening in social situations such as parties where I am drinking. I am a person who usually drinks a few before even leaving the house just to take the edge off.

Right now I am actually thinking Xanax would be better than longer lifed benzos as it would probably be mostly out of my system by the time I'm going to sleep. Although I can not find any source of specific reliable information saying that a small amount (not enough to get high) of a benzo with alcohol could put someone into this deep sleep.

Actually every time I search for information on this I just read stories of people taking 10-20x or more what their actual dose should be, and drinking a bottle of vodka. Well... Obviously this is just stupid and will kill you, maybe even half of that, maybe even a quarter of that. The amounts I am talking about are more like 1/10th or less than what others described (and lived to describe). Not to get high at all, ever. just take the edge of my anxiety a little bit. I've never heard any story of someone having major problems at these levels.

the half life of xanax is about 11 hours. you need 5 half l ives to assume drug clearance. so 55 hours. if you drank and took xanax monday and tried the same thing tuesday you'd be starting out with some left on your system. you wont feel it but it can still have effects on the brain.

the half life of xanax is about 11 hours. you need 5 half l ives to assume drug clearance. so 55 hours. if you drank and took xanax monday and tried the same thing tuesday you'd be starting out with some left on your system. you wont feel it but it can still have effects on the brain.

I'm not a pharmacologist but I don't think that is how it works. You are basically saying that anyone who drinks within 55 hours of a benzo could die. From what I can see the people who die take large amounts, and drink pretty much immediately.

I just had a similar conversation about this topic with a friend this morning. She was telling me she did acid and molly at the same time and it was her favorite combo ever, then asked me what mine was. I replied, obviously, xanax and alcohol. Her face looked surprised and concerned as i said that and she immediately replied "omg thats so dangerous that could kill you."

She is not wrong. However, SWIM has combined xanax, in addition to other benzos, and alcohol many times and the worst situation SWIM ended up in began with a black out and then waking up soaked in their own pee in front of a crowd of people. Some of the times SWIM used this combo were great experiences where SWIM didnt embarass themselves. But drinking with xanax or other benzos almost always causes blackouts and may cause you to do stupid or embarrassing things.

SWIM suggestion for doing this combination safely: keep the dose of the benzo low and the amount of alcohol limited to 1 drink per 30 minutes or until you can feel the effects of the last drink you had. SWIY should be very careful to pace their drinking or they could be cognizant one second but end up blackout drunk the next. Also make SWIY only take a certain amount of xanax, for example, if SWIM took 1mg of xanax then proceeded to drink, SWIM should put up the rest of the xanax and not take anymore. As SWIY gets more inhibited by xanax plus alcohol, they may feel the urge to take more of one of the drugs, or both. Or maybe SWIM experiences the loss of rationality and decision making, which leads to additional xanax or alcohol dosing.

I don't condone the combination of alcohol and benzos but if one is tolerant to a benzo a beer or 2 with .5 to 1mg of Xanax is quite relaxing and enjoyable with no blackouts. Now pounding shots of liquor and 2 mg and higher of xanax is definitely a bad move

I'm not a pharmacologist but I don't think that is how it works. You are basically saying that anyone who drinks within 55 hours of a benzo could die. From what I can see the people who die take large amounts, and drink pretty much immediately.
exactly. People take things a little to extreme on this site I know this is a HR site but still.

The problem is everyone seems to react so differently, unlike mdma where pretty much everyone takes the same. I gave 0.5mg to my girlfriend the other day to help her with an oral exam, she said she was insanely confident, but then after the exam almost falling asleep... Where as for me 1-2mg is barely noticable.

But anyway, I think the dangerous activity is getting high with these (waking up in your own urine is definitely a sign of over doing it), which is something I never planned to do, have have the personal will power not to as well.

If anyone knows of any stories where people were hurt using such low amounts like this I would love to hear about them though.

Also, if by some chance someone did black out from a benzo and booze combo, what should a person around them do about it? Maybe a caffiene pill and try to keep them awake?

A black out is when u wake up and cant remember anything nit becoming u contious u jst dnt remember anything u could of killed some 1 and u wouldn't even no
The problem is everyone seems to react so differently, unlike mdma where pretty much everyone takes the same. I gave 0.5mg to my girlfriend the other day to help her with an oral exam, she said she was insanely confident, but then after the exam almost falling asleep... Where as for me 1-2mg is barely noticable.

But anyway, I think the dangerous activity is getting high with these (waking up in your own urine is definitely a sign of over doing it), which is something I never planned to do, have have the personal will power not to as well.

If anyone knows of any stories where people were hurt using such low amounts like this I would love to hear about them though.

Also, if by some chance someone did black out from a benzo and booze combo, what should a person around them do about it? Maybe a caffiene pill and try to keep them awake?

You can take more and more pills (especially with xanax) without really noticing and drink more and bam you're dead.
THIS

I got to the point of using 400mg plus of valium, baileys in my coffee for brekky and at least a bottle of wine a day (and im not a drinker, it's my least favourite drug) on top of 400mg oxy. It crept up very fast and there were numerous nights my husband would sit up making sure I was breathing. I thought I was totally fine but I wasn't, I just got lucky. Definitely no sage way, people have died on way less that this. Too many respiratory depressants at once is bad news. You may feel you can get away with it as I did but many don't.

THIS

I got to the point of using 400mg plus of valium, baileys in my coffee for brekky and at least a bottle of wine a day (and im not a drinker, it's my least favourite drug) on top of 400mg oxy. It crept up very fast and there were numerous nights my husband would sit up making sure I was breathing. I thought I was totally fine but I wasn't, I just got lucky. Definitely no sage way, people have died on way less that this. Too many respiratory depressants at once is bad news. You may feel you can get away with it as I did but many don't.

Well 400mg valium is 40x the therapeutic starting dose! Of course if you do this much AND drink you are gonna be in trouble...

Well 400mg valium is 40x the therapeutic starting dose! Of course if you do this much AND drink you are gonna be in trouble...

I was initially prescribed just 7.5mg a day.....I was agreeing with the poster saying it can creep up and it's so easy just to pop them like tic tacs, I find Benzos are one of those drugs you just don't feel like you could ever have enough. And im a small female. There IS NO safe way/dose. I am lucky to be alive, but because nothing ever happened to me it would be easy for me to say it's safe or the dangers are overblown.....but they are not. At all.

And the point was, I didn't have any trouble, I didn't die or end up in hospital (directly due to that anyway, plenty of times for other things) BUT I easily could have. Im not a big person (54kg female) so it was way too much. The point was no amount is safe but it's all too easy to go overboard once you start

I had the knowledge but constantly under the influence I just kept going and the risks didn't enter my head after awhile.

It was valium at first but more xanax/loraz/temaz after awhile. I was clearly very unwell at the time and it's a slippery slope with benzos. Im only on 20mg a day now after over two years of tapering.

Last edited:
i feel for u as have and am still going through it myself was over 1000 diaz a week and drinking now also on a taper but still have 23mg a day after years of tapering and ur so right u dnt even think about it at the time
It's horrible isn't it? Im down to 20mg a day and not looking forward to the rest of the ride. Then have to start tapering off the 32mg of SUBOXONE also which is also a scary prospect. Benzos are horrid really and its scary how far you can push your tolerance. Best of luck.

welll, almost a week now of me at night, with a bottle of vine, 2 mg of xanax and some cheap weed ( too broke to buy the good dank stuff )...should stop now, cas a full week is almost done, and iv gotten quite used to me night feel good times....this is for ppl with tolerance , not some no tolerance whiners here, so yeah...if u dont give a fuck like me, then go for it. i did, and i'm still alive and pretty healthy ( actually no, im a fat fucking bastard ).

welll, almost a week now of me at night, with a bottle of vine, 2 mg of xanax and some cheap weed ( too broke to buy the good dank stuff )...should stop now, cas a full week is almost done, and iv gotten quite used to me night feel good times....this is for ppl with tolerance , not some no tolerance whiners here, so yeah...if u dont give a fuck like me, then go for it. i did, and i'm still alive and pretty healthy ( actually no, im a fat fucking bastard ).

Yes definitely doing it every night is not a good idea. Better to keep it at most once a week to avoid going down the road others above have and ending up in a horrible addiction that takes years to taper off of.

yes its litrally hell i wanted 2 die so much from it the opiate is no problem for me at all its nothing i thought it was hard at the time then went cold turkey on benzos n holy shit a will never complain about stoping opiates ever again not compared 2 benzos words cant even discribe how horrendiss it is n proper smack heads say its 2 hard fukin bull shit but i jst was taking 30mg codiene phosphate 18 a day and around 15-20 30mg dyhidracodiene which is still alot but nothing compared 2 even jst a 5mg drop on diaz i canot handle such a drop its 1mg a month its dropped with opiates i can jst stop anytime now
It's horrible isn't it? Im down to 20mg a day and not looking forward to the rest of the ride. Then have to start tapering off the 32mg of SUBOXONE also which is also a scary prospect. Benzos are horrid really and its scary how far you can push your tolerance. Best of luck.

as long as you are with people you trust and are not driving or operating machinery. 2mg of xanax and a few (3 at most cause the HR police will get me) beers WONT KILL YOU its the stupid shit people such as myself, drove over a fox on my way to gamestop. i had just got my license and was starting to get legal benzo prescriptions. didnt know till i saw fur on my grill, drove past the baptist church by the elementary school and saw it on the side of the road. good thing it was at night. anyways wash down 1-2mg with a few beers and try to recollect the night. if xanax doesnt do the trick klonopin would try next. but you should really take it as a sign man. benzo dependency is not fun.

what dont u understand???
bottle of vine, 2 mg of xanax and some cheap weed ,,, i got the impression asif u thought that was alot??? after u said (fuck like me, then go for it. i did, and i'm still alive and pretty healthy)as 2 me that is an extremely small amout off booze or xanax that was why i said what i posted, or was this a joke or something thats all i ment