• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using benzos and alcohol (safely)

Zon

Bluelighter
First of all I have read 1000 times that this is dangerous and this is not what this post is meant to be about. I believe that for certain people if done carefully, like most things can be completely safe, so would like to ask opinions on this.

In fact one of the main reasons I want to use benzos is to enjoy and relax in social nights out without having to use huge amounts of alcohol to fight social anxiety. I don't really want to get fucked up, just enjoy the night without anxiety. I've been trying Xanax so far, which honestly doesn't seem to do much, even 2mg with 5 beers barely did anything at all. In fact while all my friends got tired and went home I was still up to keep partying... Then ended up walking my drunk friend home before getting back to my own place and cooking a quick meal...

So what rules are good to follow, other than obviously not taking more than you plan to consume out with you.
Which benzo might be best for mixing with alcohol?
How would adding caffiene to the mix go?
Any other advice?

none.
theres no safe way to mix them.

its not worth dying over.

i could reply to this post with some reasonable advice but i am afraid the HR police might come after me. that aside: unless you have a tolerance to benzos i wouldn't mix them with alcohol. with a tolerance its possible to use small doses of clonazepam or valium without ending up insanely messed up or blacking out- certainly not recommending this - Xanax would be a BZD i would avoid regardless of tolerance-

also, never mix with hard liquor of course, and never consume large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. i would also research the possible effects of mixing these two drugs on your stomach, intestines, esophagus, entire biological-physiological-system.

(captain obv perhaps - oh well)

cheers!

i could reply to this post with some reasonable advice but i am afraid the HR police might come after me. that aside: unless you have a tolerance to benzos i wouldn't mix them with alcohol. with a tolerance its possible to use small doses of clonazepam or valium without ending up insanely messed up or blacking out- certainly not recommending this - Xanax would be a BZD i would avoid regardless of tolerance-

also, never mix with hard liquor of course, and never consume large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. i would also research the possible effects of mixing these two drugs on your stomach, intestines, esophagus, entire biological-physiological-system.

(captain obv perhaps - oh well)

cheers!
you make that statement like its a bad thing
there is no "stay safe" regimen when it comes to mixing benzos and booze.. period

and second people give people a hard time when they ask about mixing benzos and alcohol because it is a real possibility the user can run into a life threatening situation

IME ive known a few people partying on xanax to never wake up again

all that said, if you are going to do it anyways have someone babysit you.

all that said, if you are going to do it anyways have someone babysit you.
i agree with this but the harsh reality of things who wants to be the person that babysits?
IMO its when the night is over when the user is ready to go to sleep is where trouble will start
since you take in much less o2 when you sleep in conjunction with the respiratory issues from the benzo and booze again real easy to never wake up again

you make that statement like its a bad thing
there is no "stay safe" regimen when it comes to mixing benzos and booze.. period

and second people give people a hard time when they ask about mixing benzos and alcohol because it is a real possibility the user can run into a life threatening situation

IME ive known a few people partying on xanax to never wake up again

Yea, it was obvious that both the OP and I were well aware that mixing benzos with alcohol is dangerous and ill advised. I suppose using 'HR police' might offend someone who thinks like you do and I apologize for that. I did not say harm reduction was a bad thing nor did I imply that it was. I actually think its brilliant!!!!

I <3 bluelight and everyone who contributes here - especially the MODS - <3 HR <3 the HR police (if they are really out there)

feel free to delete my post if you feel its the correct thing to do.

i agree with this but the harsh reality of things who wants to be the person that babysits?
IMO its when the night is over when the user is ready to go to sleep is where trouble will start
since you take in much less o2 when you sleep in conjunction with the respiratory issues from the benzo and booze again real easy to never wake up again

agree completely but if someone is going to do something regardless i will always suggest that they dont do it alone.
its also an unfair position to put someone in, like hey i might die can you be responsible and watch me breathe all night.

also the problem is it feels good, it will feel good until its unsafe and by that time you wont be in any position to seek help for yourself.

Ok I am REALLY missing something here..... As I said, last night I took 2mg (and I SHOULDNT have any tolerance as I've never used benzos before), and drank quite a lot, AND WAS TOTALLY FINE, definitely didn't need a baby sitter, as I said I was the one take care of others who couldn't handle their booze (no pills involved). In fact apart from being slightly more social than usual it wasn't even that great. And this is a forum where people talk about snorting, injecting and plugging insanely hard and dangerous drugs. As I know, the main danger is that you keep helping yourself to more and more until you either start acting crazy or pass out. But that is easily avoided by not carrying extra stuff with you, or letting someone else hold it for you.

So wtf is so dangerous about this exactly? Maybe someone can elaborate a bit more than just saying that it is dangerous.

Last edited:
So wtf is so dangerous about this exactly?

You can take more and more pills (especially with xanax) without really noticing and drink more and bam you're dead.

Ok I am REALLY missing something here..... As I said, last night I took 2mg (and I SHOULDNT have any tolerance as I've never used benzos before), and drank quite a lot, AND WAS TOTALLY FINE, definitely didn't need a baby sitter, as I said I was the one take care of others who couldn't handle their booze (no pills involved). In fact apart from being slightly more social than usual it wasn't even that great. And this is a forum where people talk about snorting, injecting and plugging insanely hard and dangerous drugs. As I know, the main danger is that you keep helping yourself to more and more until you either start acting crazy or pass out. But that is easily avoided by not carrying extra stuff with you, or letting someone else hold it for you.

So wtf is so dangerous about this exactly? Maybe someone can elaborate a bit more than just saying that it is dangerous.

they are both central nervous system depressants.
they both slow down the part of your brain that controls your breathing. if you taken them together you can fall asleep you can stop breathing and will not wake up because you are sedated.

the danger is def not acting crazy or passing out, the danger is death and that is why it is not advised. no one cares if you get fucked up and act a fool.

you cannot really anticipate what will happen, you can take it once or 10 times and be ok and then the next time be in respiratory distress. its unpredictable in that sense.

Last edited:
thats the whole point that the OP can take 2mg and booze it up like a champ but to somene taking the same combo could be deadly as everyone is diff
falling asleep and never waking up is in extreme cases but the most common and yet unforgiving is entering a black out state
you can easily not remember anything, do stupid shit and not remember anything, wake up in jail for doing stupid shit and still not remember anything
you can easily hurt yourself or hurt someone else

i know someone that is only 20 yrs old and threw his life away because he wanted to party with xans and booze
he is in jail for life because he decided to drive and he killed his gf's sister after flipping the car over
all while his gf said he seemed coherent ....that is the super scary part of mixing benzos and booze its the most unstable combo over

I REGULARLY combine benzos and alcohol been doing it for years my homeboys. So you can do it and live....but the unpredictable black outs have helped ruin my life. Its a very addictive combo that can lead to all kinds of weird mood swings, accidental OD's (unpredictable as fuck), bad situations, and police encounters IME. But if your gonna do it go for an extremely low dose of benzo and avoid hard liquor or general reckless drinking. Have a good friend you trust keep an eye on you AND HIDE THE REST OF THE BENZOS FROM YOU. I can't tell you not to do something your gonna do anyway but that's all I know about how to be safe.

EDIT: Sry if this is against the rules I'm not recommending the combo at all just trying to contribute HR info.

You can take more and more pills (especially with xanax) without really noticing and drink more and bam you're dead.

As I already said, just don't take extra with you or give them to someone else to hold, problem solved.

they are both central nervous system depressants.
they both slow down the part of your brain that controls your breathing. if you taken them together you can fall asleep you can stop breathing and will not wake up because you are sedated.

the danger is def not acting crazy or passing out, the danger is death and that is why it is not advised. no one cares if you get fucked up and act a fool.

you cannot really anticipate what will happen, you can take it once or 10 times and be ok and then the next time be in respiratory distress. its unpredictable in that sense.

Well I could say that beer and vodka are both CNS depressants. Could you elaborate a little on how it is going to stop me from breathing exactly? I also don't get why if something is completely fine 10 times it would suddenly be completely not fine. Especially considering the pills are factory made not like other drugs that you never know what or how much they have in them.

thats the whole point that the OP can take 2mg and booze it up like a champ but to somene taking the same combo could be deadly as everyone is diff
falling asleep and never waking up is in extreme cases but the most common and yet unforgiving is entering a black out state
you can easily not remember anything, do stupid shit and not remember anything, wake up in jail for doing stupid shit and still not remember anything
you can easily hurt yourself or hurt someone else

i know someone that is only 20 yrs old and threw his life away because he wanted to party with xans and booze
he is in jail for life because he decided to drive and he killed his gf's sister after flipping the car over
all while his gf said he seemed coherent ....that is the super scary part of mixing benzos and booze its the most unstable combo over

I am definitely not suggesting anyone else to take 2mg and drink 5 beers just because I did it and was fine. I also didn't try that amount on my first try, I started with .5 and then 1mg before I tried 2mg which still has very little effect.

I am still not convinced at all that this is dangerous if done carefully by a smart and controlled person. I never carried any more than I had predecided to take that night, I don't even own a car or would ever consider driving one if I did. And I started out very low and slowly testing my limits and would of course lower the amount if I had even the slightest hint of becoming dangerously reckless, blacking out or anything else. I should also add that I am a very selfcontrolled person and will most certainly not take these more than once or twice a week so addiction is also not a real danger for me either.

Well I could say that beer and vodka are both CNS depressants. Could you elaborate a little on how it is going to stop me from breathing exactly? I also don't get why if something is completely fine 10 times it would suddenly be completely not fine. Especially considering the pills are factory made not like other drugs that you never know what or how much they have in them.

I am still not convinced at all that this is dangerous if done carefully by a smart and controlled person. I never carried any more than I had predecided to take that night, I don't even own a car or would ever consider driving one if I did. And I started out very low and slowly testing my limits and would of course lower the amount if I had even the slightest hint of becoming dangerously reckless, blacking out or anything else. I should also add that I am a very selfcontrolled person and will most certainly not take these more than once or twice a week so addiction is also not a real danger for me either.

they potentiate each other, their effects on the brain are additive. its not like 1+1=2 more like 1+1= 3 o4 5 or 7.

as for why its different , well for 1 i have drank 100s of times, sometimes ive had say 8 drinks and been fine other times 8 drinks has gotten me a bit drunk. why? i dont know, maybe what i ate, my health, the state of my liver and other environmental or physical factors.

you can really do what you choose to but read up the combined effects of these medications when used with alcohol. Part of self control is choosing to not do something that is too risky and part of self control would making sure you educate yourself about what you are doing and why its considered dangerous.

First of all I have read 1000 times that this is dangerous and this is not what this post is meant to be about. I believe that for certain people if done carefully, like most things can be completely safe, so would like to ask opinions on this.

In fact one of the main reasons I want to use benzos is to enjoy and relax in social nights out without having to use huge amounts of alcohol to fight social anxiety. I don't really want to get fucked up, just enjoy the night without anxiety. I've been trying Xanax so far, which honestly doesn't seem to do much, even 2mg with 5 beers barely did anything at all. In fact while all my friends got tired and went home I was still up to keep partying... Then ended up walking my drunk friend home before getting back to my own place and cooking a quick meal...

So what rules are good to follow, other than obviously not taking more than you plan to consume out with you.
Which benzo might be best for mixing with alcohol?
How would adding caffiene to the mix go?
Any other advice?

I want to say sorry ahead of time for the long post im going to write but if you take the time and read it, im sure it will help you and allow you to fully understand the situation. First off, In my own opinion, i feel any combination of alcohol and most drugs can be taken with minimal ill side effects (within reason) and be a lot of fun and some great experiences. Regaurdless, the usual reason people would advise against this type of combination is because they are strong potentiators of each other causing more CNS depression than usually expected which leads to Respiratory Depression (mostly just uncomfortable) in the more minor side of things as well as loss of common sense and inhibitions if not too large of a dose is taken. As for the major ones that are WAY more common that you will probably believe (seriosly, look up the statistics, im one of them) complete Skeletal Muscle Depression, Hypoxia of the major organs including the brain due to Resperatory Arrest (happend to me with Buyter-Fentinal by accidental miscalculation of .3mg, fell straigth back, lungs stopped, only lived because Ethylphenidate and 2FMA where keeping my heart going, minor concussion, no Hypoxia luckily, slight memory loss), causing perminate brain damage which can possably disable parts of your body or turn you into a vegetable that has to be fed through a straw, among many other adverse effects that can occur if you dont actually die. Even if perfectly calculated, planned and executed, when you are in that mental state and not thinking clearly, You could end up taking more thinking you can handle it (sadly, happened to my best friend, total resperatory arrest and organ failure."RIP" brother.). With that being said, there are a lot of factors contributing to the effects you will get and from any dose based on your own personal tollerances, metabolism, sensitivity to drugs or lack there of. If you didnt know these things before hand, i want to make sure you fully understand the repercussions if not handled with extreme care. its possable to dose the perfect amount of each and have a great night and contine with your life, BUT the room for calculation error on the dose is VERY small, simply not knowing your tollerance fully or accidentally taking more than expected along with several other factors can (worst case scenarios) land you in the hospital, kill you, make you do something to perminetly hurt yourself, make you accidentally or purposefully hurt/kill others, or (best case scenario) you black out and you wasted your money, time, experience, etc.
So, it is definitely possible to do it perfect and have a great night that you remember, but the risks (and chances of those risks happening) out weight the benefits in my eyes. I would advise not to do it unless you are in a self destructive mentality or are 100% POSITIVE you know your bodys limits to the tee and you have someone sober and watching you. (Not trying to boast, sorry if it seems that way, im only trying to show my actual proven knowledge on the subject) I have a Major in Exercise Physiology, Cellular and Molecular Physiology, and Biology and Minors in Physics, Criminal Psychology/Psychopathology and getting close to earning a Doctorate in in Bio-Chemical Engineering as well as Bio-Chemistry, even with my experience with drugs and all the knowledge on how to do it carefully, i have only succeeded in taking benzos with alcohol 3 times without blacking out or waking up in the hospital, opiates and benzos is worse (dont even test it). I hope this helps and i hope you make the right choice for yourself, only you know your body and how it reacts, but if you habe no benzo tollerance, pease just avoid doing it, if you do, start smaller than you think you should, the work your way up over the corse of a couple hours while someone monitors you. Again Sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to make sure you fully know what you could be getting into, i didnt know what could haplen back when i was more reckless and nearly lost my life and lost my best friend from 5th grade to current date. Just be careful.

Last edited:
i do this on regular basis...couple of beers or a bottle of vine, with 10 mg of valium or 1 mg of xanax. sometimes with codeine as well....i dont recommend it but for myself i see no problem with mixing these up cas im here, alive, after all these years of doing it. but organism have different quirks/stats so start slow couple of first times just to be safe.

I want to say sorry ahead of time for the long post im going to write but if you take the time and read it, im sure it will help you and allow you to fully understand the situation. First off, In my own opinion, i feel any combination of alcohol and most drugs can be taken with minimal ill side effects (within reason) and be a lot of fun and some great experiences. Regaurdless, the usual reason people would advise against this type of combination is because they are strong potentiators of each other causing more CNS depression than usually expected which leads to Respiratory Depression (mostly just uncomfortable) in the more minor side of things as well as loss of common sense and inhibitions if not too large of a dose is taken. As for the major ones that are WAY more common that you will probably believe (seriosly, look up the statistics, im one of them) complete Skeletal Muscle Depression, Hypoxia of the major organs including the brain due to Resperatory Arrest (happend to me with Buyter-Fentinal by accidental miscalculation of .3mg, fell straigth back, lungs stopped, only lived because Ethylphenidate and 2FMA where keeping my heart going, minor concussion, no Hypoxia luckily, slight memory loss), causing perminate brain damage which can possably disable parts of your body or turn you into a vegetable that has to be fed through a straw, among many other adverse effects that can occur if you dont actually die. Even if perfectly calculated, planned and executed, when you are in that mental state and not thinking clearly, You could end up taking more thinking you can handle it (sadly, happened to my best friend, total resperatory arrest and organ failure."RIP" brother.). With that being said, there are a lot of factors contributing to the effects you will get and from any dose based on your own personal tollerances, metabolism, sensitivity to drugs or lack there of. If you didnt know these things before hand, i want to make sure you fully understand the repercussions if not handled with extreme care. its possable to dose the perfect amount of each and have a great night and contine with your life, BUT the room for calculation error on the dose is VERY small, simply not knowing your tollerance fully or accidentally taking more than expected along with several other factors can (worst case scenarios) land you in the hospital, kill you, make you do something to perminetly hurt yourself, make you accidentally or purposefully hurt/kill others, or (best case scenario) you black out and you wasted your money, time, experience, etc.
So, it is definitely possible to do it perfect and have a great night that you remember, but the risks (and chances of those risks happening) out weight the benefits in my eyes. I would advise not to do it unless you are in a self destructive mentality or are 100% POSITIVE you know your bodys limits to the tee and you have someone sober and watching you. (Not trying to boast, sorry if it seems that way, im only trying to show my actual proven knowledge on the subject) I have a Major in Exercise Physiology, Cellular and Molecular Physiology, and Biology and Minors in Physics, Criminal Psychology/Psychopathology and getting close to earning a Doctorate in in Bio-Chemical Engineering as well as Bio-Chemistry, even with my experience with drugs and all the knowledge on how to do it carefully, i have only succeeded in taking benzos with alcohol 3 times without blacking out or waking up in the hospital, opiates and benzos is worse (dont even test it). I hope this helps and i hope you make the right choice for yourself, only you know your body and how it reacts, but if you habe no benzo tollerance, pease just avoid doing it, if you do, start smaller than you think you should, the work your way up over the corse of a couple hours while someone monitors you. Again Sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to make sure you fully know what you could be getting into, i didnt know what could haplen back when i was more reckless and nearly lost my life and lost my best friend from 5th grade to current date. Just be careful.

Thank you for your reply. You obviously know a lot about this subject. I am definitely quite worried about the potential risks and after this thread am becoming even more cautious. I just don't get how little it seemed to have affected me at the doses I tried so far. You said just 0.3mg too much and you can end up in a hospital, but like I said 2mg (4x what "SHOULD" be my therapeutic dose) and a huge amount of alcohol had so tiny effect (other than being expectedly drunk), and not a single hint of any negative side effects, in fact even had less of a hangover than usual. How could that be? It just doesn't add up. Is it possible for someone who has never used benzos before to have such a low reaction to this type of dose? Could it be related to having a relatively high tolerance to alcohol?

Anyway I will definitely not go over 2mg for now until I have time to learn more about this. Maybe stick to just 1mg for a while longer and see if I get any different effects than I have had so far.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. You obviously know a lot about this subject. I am definitely quite worried about the potential risks and after this thread am becoming even more cautious. I just don't get how little it seemed to have affected me at the doses I tried so far. You said just 0.3mg too much and you can end up in a hospital, but like I said 2mg (4x what "SHOULD" be my therapeutic dose) and a huge amount of alcohol had so tiny effect (other than being expectedly drunk), and not a single hint of any negative side effects, in fact even had less of a hangover than usual. How could that be? It just doesn't add up. Is it possible for someone who has never used benzos before to have such a low reaction to this type of dose? Could it be related to having a relatively high tolerance to alcohol?

Anyway I will definitely not go over 2mg for now until I have time to learn more about this. Maybe stick to just 1mg for a while longer and see if I get any different effects than I have had so far.
Hey, cool, you actually read the post lol. After i submitted it i look back at it on the page and they you where ganna say "Fuck that shit!" And skip it haha, thanks for taking the time to read it. When i described my experience with making a little to much by accident thinking i can take it and it was only a .3mg difference thats because the chemical i was using is a synthetic, man made opioid MANY MANNNYY times stronger than heroin its self and as far as i know, its the strongest opiate/opioid around. Its called Buyter-Fentinol and it is highly active in sub-microgram doses. Back when that happened, i was already experienced with it, almost always got too high on the opiate effect and would almost pass out so almost every time i would take the RC stimulants like ethylphenidate (which is what saved my life ironically) it was weiged out when i was already fucked up, i decided that amount was fine, i took it, walked over to my dresser, then woke up with an EMT using a breathing pump on me because my lungs basically shut down. Now that combo i was doing was hundreds of times more dangerous than what you are asking about but i just wanted to give you an example of someone being practically trained to handle this stuff with extreme care, mad a bad judgment call on there capabilities. Bad judgment calls have bad consequences. With that being said, im done rambling and lecturing like im your mom or something. If you want to do it and think you can, do it in the way i described in my earlier post, have a "baby sitter" who is sober! (Thats most important part so they can act fast in the event something bad happens) so they can monitor your behaivor and if you accidentally over shoot the dose, then can stop you from walking into traffic. And start smaller than you think you should start with, you can always take more, you can never undo what you already took if it turns out harmfull.

As for what you said about taking 2mg and feeling nothing but your friends have to go home on the same amount, that is fairly common. Your body weight, your height, your age, the average amount of times you use the substance all come into play. So does the amount of micro(Vitamins/minerals etc.) and macro (calories/carbs/protien, etc) nutrients because these all have a role in your metabolism and they way your body processes/utilises and interperates the drug you are taking, some people are extremely sensitive to opiates or benzos or stims because there body utilizes it really well and processes it the correct way. It sounds like you are a person that is insensitive to benzos if you arnt a regular user and assumimg you are average height and weight. For me, i am sort of insensitive to stims, SUPER sensitive to benzos and about average with opiates. Everyone is different.
also, to answer your question; No, drinking alcohol regularly does not affect your sensitivity to benzos. There is a chance you can highten your sensitivity by taking in the proper nutrients for your body, vitamins and all, and getting the proper abount of BCAAs, fats and omega 3s. These all have big roles in neurotransmiters and hormone production. Cant hurt to try!