• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Unbearably mourning codeine

Opal35

Bluelighter
Hi All
Hoping for a bit of advice and support. Have kicked a codeine habit (not through choice but access) and I know I should be grateful it's out of my life... But I'm not. WDs are far far behind me but I desperately miss the crutch effect and feel like I'm struggling to get through daily life without it. I'm doing an occasional quick and dirty CWE (thanks F.U.B.A.R) with OTC co-codamol but it does very little, even with 64 tabs. I thought Kratom would save my sanity but no.. Despite trying several different kinds and formats - zilch effect. I am on venlafaxine however and wonder if its messed with my mu's...
Will this struggle end?

It may or may not end frankly. Have you tried heavy exercise?

I'd recommend come black seed oil (capsules). Take it when you feel intense cravings, it helps a little. Its harmless and be taken as needed.

Thank you for your response.
It may not end is not what I wanted to hear - truth hurts I guess!!
Not tried exercise largely because motivation is in the bin but it's worth a shot.
Time to put my big girl pants on I guess because I'm looking for a magic answer that's not going to come.
Will look into black seed oil.

It's very hard to start exercise at first because "motivation is in the bin" as you said. You kinda have to force it the first few times - like your body and mind will absolutely not want to do it but you have to just suck it up and make it happen. After you've gotten a few small workouts out of the way you'll start to notice that you are actually starting to enjoy it and you are starting to feel better overall. Exercise can actually start to feel like a drug itself too, mild of course, but strong enough that you really start to enjoy it and look forward to it. It can fill that void that the drugs are no longer taking care of.

Then you start noticing that all aspects of your life start improving: you're sleeping better, you have more energy, your mood is better, you have more confidence and motivation, you can concentrate and think better, you handle stress better, you start to look better and feel better about yourself. Getting through work each day is easier. ETC It really is the best antidepressant especially after quitting drugs, it's helped me tremendously when getting over an opioid addiction ~20 years ago and then again when getting over a pretty severe stimulant addiction about 8 years ago.

It's really hard at first and you really have to force yourself to do what you absolutely won't feel like doing. But it can be so worth it. Just start slow especially if you haven't exercised in a long time and/or are badly out of shape. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, you could simply start with just taking a short walk everyday and then slowly build from there.

Good luck.

It's very hard to start exercise at first because "motivation is in the bin" as you said. You kinda have to force it the first few times - like your body and mind will absolutely not want to do it but you have to just suck it up and make it happen. After you've gotten a few small workouts out of the way you'll start to notice that you are actually starting to enjoy it and you are starting to feel better overall. Exercise can actually start to feel like a drug itself too, mild of course, but strong enough that you really start to enjoy it and look forward to it. It can fill that void that the drugs are no longer taking care of.

Then you start noticing that all aspects of your life start improving: you're sleeping better, you have more energy, your mood is better, you have more confidence and motivation, you can concentrate and think better, you handle stress better, you start to look better and feel better about yourself. Getting through work each day is easier. ETC It really is the best antidepressant especially after quitting drugs, it's helped me tremendously when getting over an opioid addiction ~20 years ago and then again when getting over a pretty severe stimulant addiction about 8 years ago.

It's really hard at first and you really have to force yourself to do what you absolutely won't feel like doing. But it can be so worth it. Just start slow especially if you haven't exercised in a long time and/or are badly out of shape. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, you could simply start with just taking a short walk everyday and then slowly build from there.

Good luck.
Thank you so much, that's really quite motivating in itself! I'm slim but not remotely fit. Will give it a shot but God.. I just miss my own special version of 'me time' so so much..
Appreciate your reply.

Thank you so much, that's really quite motivating in itself! I'm slim but not remotely fit. Will give it a shot but God.. I just miss my own special version of 'me time' so so much..
Appreciate your reply.
exercise will become that me time, complete with endorphins. You have to work up a healthy routine of self care that takes the place of the "gift" you were giving yourself every day. on the upside - you know how to make a self care routine. The downside is you did it around a really unhealthy thing. halfway there - you got this, just have to follow through with healthy activities.

Thank you for your response.
It may not end is not what I wanted to hear - truth hurts I guess!!
Not tried exercise largely because motivation is in the bin but it's worth a shot.
Time to put my big girl pants on I guess because I'm looking for a magic answer that's not going to come.
Will look into black seed oil.

Daily exercise is the only thing that can keep me feeling satisfied off opiates. It's very hard to start but gets easier and easier and very enjoyable. It makes a HUGE difference in various areas of my life. It's a game changer. Lots of people don't really think it could help that much but it is huge.

I just want to chime in and agree with everyone... exercise is incredibly useful and valuable when it comes to most aspects of both mental illness and drug addiction.

There is a reason even a lazy fuck like me still finds benefit in running 10 miles per week. IT WORKS. VERY WELL.

Exercise really does work wonders for people like us. It's no joke.

Hi All
Hoping for a bit of advice and support. Have kicked a codeine habit (not through choice but access) and I know I should be grateful it's out of my life... But I'm not. WDs are far far behind me but I desperately miss the crutch effect and feel like I'm struggling to get through daily life without it. I'm doing an occasional quick and dirty CWE (thanks F.U.B.A.R) with OTC co-codamol but it does very little, even with 64 tabs. I thought Kratom would save my sanity but no.. Despite trying several different kinds and formats - zilch effect. I am on venlafaxine however and wonder if its messed with my mu's...
Will this struggle end?

Codeine can be an extremely powerful and addictive drug. But compared to a heroin addiction it's a walk in the park to come off.

Less is more with codeine. 64 x 500/8 cocodamols is excessive mate (this is assuming you're in the UK)

Codeine is a subtle opiate and it is best left that way.

If you're fiending on codeine to this extent, then you are in the same place many of us have been before.

It WILL ruin your life.

You sound like you know which is reassuring. Any tips on which way to go exercise wise? Like cardio
Codeine can be an extremely powerful and addictive drug. But compared to a heroin addiction it's a walk in the park to come off.

Less is more with codeine. 64 x 500/8 cocodamols is excessive mate (this is assuming you're in the UK)

Codeine is a subtle opiate and it is best left that way.

If you're fiending on codeine to this extent, then you are in the same place many of us have been before.

It WILL ruin your life.
Im off it now. Yes in UK. I was just saying that if I previously CWE'd 64 co-codamol it wasn't v effective. I'm just trying to fill the hole so to speak which is proving lonely and sad.

Codeine is an opiate like any other it always hurts to see someone else going through what I went through just be grateful their replying positively to you when I asked for help on here with codeine I got laughed at and told basically that codeine is nothing well 3000mg a day is not nothing mate god those were some dark days I'm addicted to heroin and methadone now but I'm actually more stable than I was back then because its easier to access a lot easier especially methadone or as I like to call it free heroin

Hi All
Will this struggle end?
Listen bruv I got 3 questions before I offer advice

How old were you when you started and how old when you got addicted

How long have you been addicted and what is your tolerance history(ie what dose did you take in the begging and what dose do you take now?

And thirdly and most importantly are you extracting it using the cold water extraction(I recently posted my personal technique a few weeks ago somewhere if you can find it)unless you have access to pure codeine phosphate because paracetamol is no joke mate neither is ibuprofen or aspirin if it don't kill you it can still do some nasty permanent damage I used to take over 10 grams a day at one point before I knew about cwe but I have an iron stomach like my gran

You sound like you know which is reassuring. Any tips on which way to go exercise wise? Like cardio

Im off it now. Yes in UK. I was just saying that if I previously CWE'd 64 co-codamol it wasn't v effective. I'm just trying to fill the hole so to speak which is proving lonely and sad.
Fubar is probably the best guy to talk to he's not got his head up his arse like some 'cough cough zoplicone bandit cough' people.. ands been through the game I've learnt a lot of that dude probably one of the people I respect the most purely for his knowledge pool on the drug addict life style

Daily exercise is the only thing that can keep me feeling satisfied off opiates. It's very hard to start but gets easier and easier and very enjoyable. It makes a HUGE difference in various areas of my life. It's a game changer. Lots of people don't really think it could help that much but it is huge.
Oh man I keep telling myself I'm gonna start jogging tommorow then tommorow then tommorow I've actually started putting on extra weight now which I prefer to looking anerexic but still the only time I seriously exercised was when I was training for this sports day cross country I really wanted to win etc i was at it for over 6 months went from being puppy fat to having a sexy 4 pack without tensing the first few days were hard coughed up a lot of shit and this was before I started smoking so I dread to think what I would be coughing up if I started doing it now I'll tell you though after a while I could do a hundred laps with my eyes closed and I felt so good I think I've never felt as good as I did during those 6 months, I appreciate a natural buzz for what it is.. but... Then I started smoking weed getting in with a bad crowd and well you know the rest

You, fubar and op should be very proud of yourselves xor coming back from what you guys have come back from I have nothing but respect for you gentlemen or ladies if your female op or both lol you never know anymore

Listen bruv I got 3 questions before I offer advice

How old were you when you started and how old when you got addicted

How long have you been addicted and what is your tolerance history(ie what dose did you take in the begging and what dose do you take now?

And thirdly and most importantly are you extracting it using the cold water extraction(I recently posted my personal technique a few weeks ago somewhere if you can find it)unless you have access to pure codeine phosphate because paracetamol is no joke mate neither is ibuprofen or aspirin if it don't kill you it can still do some nasty permanent damage I used to take over 10 grams a day at one point before I knew about cwe but I have an iron stomach like my gran
5 years on and off, taking 10 to 12 30mg Codeine tabs twice a day (along with a couple of things to potentiate) when I had a supply.
CWE is done with a method FUBAR posted in another thread. It's quick and effective - the residual is gin clear. But CWE is not something I do alot, just when desperate. To be clear I am off regular codeine, I'm just struggling to replace the coping method that's gone with it. I'm going to go the exercise route and keep my fingers crossed those endorphins are good!

If I had a habit to kick I would personally not hesitate to go over to high dose once daily loperamide + omeprazole kick again but it's considered bad HR. Far better than trying to taper with something shorter acting IMO and IME. I wish I had known about it the first time I kicked.

If I had a habit to kick I would personally not hesitate to go over to high dose once daily loperamide + omeprazole kick again but it's considered bad HR. Far better than trying to taper with something shorter acting IMO and IME. I wish I had known about it the first time I kicked.
Why Omeprazole? Does it affect the action of the Lope?

I love the title. "Mourning Codeine"? You have a knack for satire that would make Voltaire retire in obscurity to plant cabbages. I would mourn it too. Dope, my by-word for Opioids of all shades is always gonna be my Jodi Arias. That chick who you know factually to be insane, but satisfies your lifelong fantasy of dating the dirtiest of gutter whores, then one day, your poor friends find you blue, stiff and possibly, molested.

What you're going through is extremely common, but not frequently discussed in medical/psychological literature about addiction. We are all led to believe that withdrawal is a trial by fire, like a gauntlet we have to walk, but if we steel ourselves, it will be over after 72 hours and we will emerge from our bedrooms rested, recovered and ready to take on whatever life can throw at us.

It's callled Protracted Withdrawal Syndrome as opposed to Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Unlike some other drugs, namely, sedative-hypnotics, Opioid withdrawal is very linear. Think of it like a wave where you will reach the crest and start heading toward the trough. The wave's height is going to be smaller and smaller in relation to you and you will enter a period in which your acute symptoms are mirrored by a longer-lasting more mild form. This typically lasts for a couple of months if you're not a heavy user, but someone withdrawing from chronic, high-dose Methadone could easily expect 6 months of bullshit. I really don't like being a pessimist, but I feel not being real about the situation sets people up for failure.

I'm a lover, a fighter, a writer of poetry, but first and foremost, I'm a filthy, amoral drug addict. So, my approach to withdrawal has always centered upon the use of other drugs. This is not an original idea on my part, but it has always "worked" for me.

Clonidine - Gabapentin - Cannabis

With these drugs, I can make even that 6 month Methadone hell bearable. Do you have a doctor? Are you willing to connect with someone who will sign prescriptions? We can totally talk about the use of these drugs if you're interested.

You definitely need to understand that an Opioid is an Opioid in this instance. Whether you discuss using Loperamide, Codeine, Kratom or Tramadol, they are all just Opioids. The actual drug is much less relevant than the relative potency of each. Like we discussed already, Opioid withdrawal is typically very linear, so whatever Opioid you choose to use, you're likely just tailoring that relative dose to fit your needs.

At this stage, you can choose to remain on Opioids or get off of them. The longer I live and the more I learn from myself and my peers, I come to see Opioid addiction more and more as a treatable condition, in which society is the primary driving force in most folks' devotion to the idea of complete abstinence. I've seen a lot of people get on Methadone and kill themselves with other drugs, I've seen folks get off Heroin who were basically ruined by the process. Being sober is one thing and being sober, functional and happy are two completely different concepts. When I got off Methadone ( 3 separate times), the idea of getting out of a hot shower and being cold for 30 seconds could have been my Mt. Everest. Every problem, negative emotion, magnified to grotesque proportions. I was clean, but I fucking hated my life, everyone and everything in it.

I'm not going to question your reasons or rationale. If you want to be completely abstinent, we will help you get there. I just don't want anyone to ever give up their chance at a normal life simply because they are pressured into it. I don't personally see anything wrong with being addicted to Codeine for the rest of your life. What is it, a few dollars a box and the potential for intermittent constipation? If it makes you feel alright and you don't hurt anyone in the process, I say go for it.