• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)

I thought the first two rounds were extremely close but machida clearly had the 3rd round. I really don't like how he is so inactive. Sure, Davis didnt land much but Machida didn't either. Not really a fan of scoring rounds for people who simply get the takedown towards the end but I really didnt think Machida did anything significant the first two rounds and davis was simply more active while machida waited to counter the entire time.

Yep, looked kind of ugly too. But he kept fighting! Bad break for KZ too (shoulder) even though he was losing the fight.
aldo_foot_1.0_standard_400.0.jpg

ufc-jose-aldo-foot.jpg

I thought the first two rounds were extremely close but machida clearly had the 3rd round. I really don't like how he is so inactive. Sure, Davis didnt land much but Machida didn't either. Not really a fan of scoring rounds for people who simply get the takedown towards the end but I really didnt think Machida did anything significant the first two rounds and davis was simply more active while machida waited to counter the entire time.

I didnt see the fight but when the final stats for landed strikes is 29-27 that means it was Lyoto being Lyoto and he finally bored the judges too. I like him but his style is not exciting and puts the onus on the judges and when that happens it can go either way. Now Davis is on a 3 fight win streak and is about ready to lay claim to a title shot but he should go up against Shogun if he wins against Sonnen next week. Otherwise, maybe DC if he wins against Big Country but that would be a bit of a layoff for Davis. And it is likely DC will step right in against Jones when he decides to drop to LHW. They are already talking smack to each other. If that is the case then it should be Davis v Teixeira for a title shot after DC v Jones assuming Teixeria wins @ UFC 166.

Machida definitely won the fight. One of the judges scored round 3 for Davis when it was clearly Machida's most dominate round. Judges suck so bad in the UFC.

Machida's countering style is becoming annoying. I thought it was an unfair decision but I have no sympathy for him. They aren't going to improve on the judging, and knowing that you should change your gameplan accordingly. If you're not active enough, pushing the pace, looking for the finish, well, it isn't going to cut it.

Machida's countering style is becoming annoying. I thought it was an unfair decision but I have no sympathy for him. They aren't going to improve on the judging, and knowing that you should change your gameplan accordingly. If you're not active enough, pushing the pace, looking for the finish, well, it isn't going to cut it.
I agree, by now every fighter should realize the judges are completely untrustworthy and it's basically a necessity to finish every fight. Sitting back waiting to counter strike is not going to always be an effective strategy. And now, most of the LHW fighters have Machida figured out, where as he was a huge puzzle back in the day.

Picks for Saturday?

I got:
Shogun by ko/tko
Browne by ko/tko
Faber by decision
Matt Brown by ko/tko
Uriah Hall by ko/tko
Joe Lauzon by submission
Brad Pickett by decision
Conor McGregor by ko/tko.

I might be being optimistic going for that many finishes, but if I'm right it's going to be a hell of a night.

Mauricio Rua vs. Chael Sonnen (chael by decision) hoping shogun can KO chael in the first round but I think that's his only shot even though it's a good one. He'll be too gassed out past the first round after being taken down over and over.
Alistair Overeem vs. Travis Browne (Overeem KO) Would love to see Browne upset overeem here with a KO though. Antonio Silva knocking out overeem was fucking awesome because i absolutely hate overeem.
Urijah Faber vs. Yuri Alcantara (Faber decision) Alcantara is no slouch though.
Matt Brown vs. Mike Pyle (Brown KO) This might get fight of the night. Matt Brown has looked awesome as of late and Pyle is a worthy fighter.
Uriah Hall vs. John Howard (Hall decision) Hall looks like he'll be the next great thing one day but Howard has never been knocked out, not counting doctor stoppage when his eye got completely shut by ellenberger. so even though I have a decision for Hall, he is certainly capable of knocking out anyone.
Joe Lauzon vs. Michael Johnson (Lauzon sub) submission of the night.
Brad Pickett vs. Michael McDonald (McDonald decision) this is a really close fight and I could see it going either way. almost switched over to pickett but im gonna stick with mcdonald.
Conor McGregor vs. Max Holloway (McGregor KO) cheering for Holloway though but just dont see it happening.

I love this card because there are so many matchups that could go either way. cant wait.

and yeah I would be pretty shocked if some of these fights went the distance, looking like there will be a ton of finishes. Even the ones i have as decisions i feel could still easily have a finish.

I'm pretty much counting on Shogun finishing Chael in the first round, otherwise I agree with you, he will probably get gassed and grinded out to lose a decision (he's never won a decision, let along against a wrestler as high level as Chael). This fight could turn out like the Chael / Marquardt fight unless Shogun finishes early. The reason I picked Shogun is because I know how good his takedown defense is and I know he's been working a lot on his boxing, which was already good enough to finish Chael imo.

50 pre-fight facts for 'Shogun vs. Sonnen' in Boston

Last edited:
Ovince St Preux great ground n pound knockout.

the guy is gonna be fighting for a title one day.

damn thought alcantara was gonna win after the scare in the 1st round.

that was one of the best events ive seen in a long time and on free tv. always awesome seeing Overeem lose and in the fashion he did, i went wild just like his KO loss to Silva. I thought Uriah Hall won his fight vs. John Howard 29-28, wonder what is gonna happen with him after being 0-2 in UFC. I dont think the UFC would be dumb enough to cut him. He just really needs to start being more active.

Also Majorly impressed with Sonnen. I thought he'd win but he looked even better than i expected. He didnt even have to weather the storm and is the first fighter to submit shogun in the UFC. I wanna see him vs Vitor Belfort at middleweight next, whoever wins gets a title shot.

Yeah, what a great debut for UFC on FS1. I honestly thought Faber was going to get finished in rd 1 but that dude is so good and so experienced. He comes back and just dominates Alcantara. Great fight for Faber.......if he could just win the damn title all would be great for him!!!!

Overeem getting KOed was surprising especially the way he was hitting Browne with bombs early. But damn, it was pathetic watching Overeem just stand there and take those front kicks until one landed clean and to sleep he went. He is a kickboxer and should know to move his head. Maybe this will wake him up from his own hype dream or will a cut from the UFC do it?

Hall, I dont know. He is just too nice I guess? Lacks a killer instinct? What a shame because he has gifts for fighting not many do.

Chael Sonnen. Wow. I was impressed with him and bewildered at Shogun all at the same time.

McDonald v Pickett was crazy too. Pickett took a beating in rd 1 and stayed in it only to be subbed in a slick transition by Mayday in rd 2.

Mike: Vitor says he wont fight at MW unless it is for the title. So it would have to be at LHW or catchweight against Chael. I'd like to see that one too but it appears he (Chael) will fight the Axe Murderer next.

whoever wins would have no other option than a MW title shot so i dont see why he wouldnt take it and instead just fight LHW with no shot at getting a rematch vs Jones.

That was a pretty incredible submission. I know that Henderson was not wanting to tap after his walkout in a gi with his new black belt. Ooof.