European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Misc UK ADHD medication shortage

For_All_Seasons

Bluelighter
I've seen a lot of coverage on BBC news recently regarding a shortage of ADHD meds across the UK.

I notice that these articles don't actually mention the medication involved, but I'm not familiar with ADHD prescribing practices in this country. What is a first line ADHD prescription going to consist of?

Does anyone here have personal experience with this? It seems unlikely that this would be allowed to happen with something like a cholesterol medication. The statistic of only 11% of respondents receiving their full prescription in January is staggering if true.

Looking forward to hearing the experiences of fellow BLers.

Recently diagnosed and begun titration here.

Pretty much everone was affected just before christmas, but things have improved patchily.

There's still some different doses of the different meds unavailable.

The 2 most commonly prescribed meds in the UK are either the Elvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) or Methylphenidate based meds. Most commonly extended release although some people get small IR top up doses.

I've been quite lucky to have been able to begin titration on methylphenidate and to stabilise on a specific dose that works for me.

I'd like to try a slightly higher dose, but the availability has not been good. I'd also like to try the Elvanse type of stimulant too, as it may be even more helpful for me that methylphenidate. But there is no availability of the lower doses which you have to start on. So that's a non starter currently.

Things could be a lot worse, many people have been without meds, for months, or not been able to begin taking them for titration. I'll just have to keep paying privately out of my own pocket until I can try Elvanse, and or a higher dose of methylphenidate. As far as I know, I think you only get once chance at titration to find the right med at the right dose for you, however long it takes. Some clinics try to rush you through the process, and others dont. Once you've found your personal optimum you then ask the Psychiatrist to write up their shared care report, for handing you back to the NHS for free scripts, and I believe this is a one off thing only. This is the most common route now, with people going private for the assessments due to the ridiculous NHS waiting lists (like 3-5 years on average!) and then asking to be referred back to the NHS for free prescriptions, via the Shared Care route. That's a whole big topic all of it's own.

I've seen a lot of coverage on BBC news recently regarding a shortage of ADHD meds across the UK.

I notice that these articles don't actually mention the medication involved, but I'm not familiar with ADHD prescribing practices in this country. What is a first line ADHD prescription going to consist of?

Does anyone here have personal experience with this? It seems unlikely that this would be allowed to happen with something like a cholesterol medication. The statistic of only 11% of respondents receiving their full prescription in January is staggering if true.

Looking forward to hearing the experiences of fellow BLers.

There are about 200 drugs currently in shortage in the UK, covering pretty much all conditions.

Most of the ADHD meds were in low supply last summer until recently. Most are still patchy/missing supply, including most formulations and doses of methlyphenidate, lisdex, and dex. It's partly due to international supply problems, but substantially more due to Brexit and our fucked up government's mishandling of the healthcare system (unwillingness to pay to secure necessary meds, defunding, bureacratic incompetence etc).

I can sometimes get my prescribed 70mg vyvanse, but usually not. The pharmacists at my GP practice are pretty toxic and don't give a shit. They could help by giving me, say, 20mg and 50mg one month, or 40 and 30mg the next, to make up to dose. But they say they won't do that (they could if they weren't such shitheads). So instead I have to wait until someone has 70mg in stock, which is fairly rare.

I can sometimes get my prescribed 70mg vyvanse, but usually not. The pharmacists at my GP practice are pretty toxic and don't give a shit. They could help by giving me, say, 20mg and 50mg one month, or 40 and 30mg the next, to make up to dose. But they say they won't do that (they could if they weren't such shitheads). So instead I have to wait until someone has 70mg in stock, which is fairly rare.
This is one of the several reasons I've not asked for my shared care agreement to be done yet.

Even though it's costing me £90 more every month than it would be if it was on the NHS, if the NHS Drs and pharmacists are not willing to try and help and be flexible then it's a bad job.

At least the private clinic and their chosen pharmacy are prepared to try and help me get my prescription at the current dose every month, by whatever combination available, as it's more money for them each time at the end of the day.

Fuck knows how long it will take for the supply situation to resolve, and it makes me aprehensive about swicthing over to the NHS. Fortunately I can currently afford the private prescriptions and consider them worth every penny, but I may not always be in relatively good finances. Being medicated has definitely made it easier for me to be more creative and more succesful much more quickly in my job hunting and in enjoying and keeping that work once I've found it, compared to pre-ADHD med days. So hopefully that will continue next time the unemployment hammer strikes.

I can all too easily imagine how frustrating it can be for the people like yourself who are having their supply severely or totally cut off. Before I even suspected I had ADHD I was using things like Modafinil or kratom, which while not ideal, definitely can help a fair bit, in the absence of anything better.

Reactions: CFC
This is one of the several reasons I've not asked for my shared care agreement to be done yet.

Even though it's costing me £90 more every month than it would be if it was on the NHS, if the NHS Drs and pharmacists are not willing to try and help and be flexible then it's a bad job.

At least the private clinic and their chosen pharmacy are prepared to try and help me get my prescription at the current dose every month, by whatever combination available, as it's more money for them each time at the end of the day.

Fuck knows how long it will take for the supply situation to resolve, and it makes me aprehensive about swicthing over to the NHS. Fortunately I can currently afford the private prescriptions and consider them worth every penny, but I may not always be in relatively good finances. Being medicated has definitely made it easier for me to be more creative and more succesful much more quickly in my job hunting and in enjoying and keeping that work once I've found it, compared to pre-ADHD med days. So hopefully that will continue next time the unemployment hammer strikes.

I can all too easily imagine how frustrating it can be for the people like yourself who are having their supply severely or totally cut off. Before I even suspected I had ADHD I was using things like Modafinil or kratom, which while not ideal, definitely can help a fair bit, in the absence of anything better.

Ok so this may seem like another kick in the teeth to you:

My NHS GP said to me "maybe you should get a private referral so they can prescribe something that's in stock, rather than your Elvanse which has no supply." NHS ADHD docs aren't seeing patients at the moment "until the shortage is over," you see, which makes, naturally, no sense at all since they could prescribe me something else that is. But that would be logical, and there's no logic in Tory Britain.

Anyway, after I reminded my GP that NHS ADHD patients get first dibs on all medication, and the leftovers are for private patients, she said "yeah that's true, plus we - and most other surgeries - are no longer accepting shared care agreements from private providers because they're too unregulated and patients may need to see a proper NHS consultant." !!!!!!!

I mean, why suggest it in the first place you crazy bint! But also, you're fucked if you do, fucked if you don't it would seem lol.

Secret tip, only for Bluelighters, in case you're struggling to find your ADHD (or other short-supply) meds: go to Boots stock checker, type in your drug and postcode, and it should let you know which branch still has it in stock in your area. You need your GP to give you the electronic barcode for the medicine (in the form of xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx), rather than sending the prescription to your default pharmacy, for this to work, or else you can't shop around with it.

You can also use this third-party website which uses the same Boot's stock checker to produce a realtime map of where your (ADHD only) meds are in supply in the entire UK if you, like, feel like taking a very long trip lol:

I think a lot of NHS practices refuse to accept private GP prescriptions. Make sure yours does before you pay £1000s for a private assessment.

Paramol is like rocking horse shit too at the minute.

I think a lot of NHS practices refuse to accept private GP prescriptions. Make sure yours does before you pay £1000s for a private assessment.

Paramol is like rocking horse shit too at the minute.
Yes an increasing amount are refusing to accept shared care for ADHD medications, following a private diagnosis.

Many as a direct result of that incredibly biased, harmful, and sensationalist Panorma documentary last year, which basically said that the whole condition is a con, and that private prescriptions are worthless and can easily be faked provided the customer pays. I fucking hate that episode, and that Irish 'hipster' type guy with the stupid awful blue fisherman's beany hat and stripey shirt that surely only a clown would wear, who lied his way through several private consulatations and tricked the psychiatrists into giving him diagnosese.

There may have beeen a little of that going on, in a small number of practices, but that episode caused tremendous harm by tarring every private practice with the same brush.

Many local GP practices have decideded either at the local trust level, or some on an individual practice level, that they will no longer accept shared care following a private diagnosis, as a direct result of that program. I have been shocked to read on ADHD forums many individual cases of individual Drs mentioning that episode as an explanation for their refusal to accept shared care.

It has had the direct result of making diagnosese and medications harder for people to obtain. The burden of proof on patients is very high in many cases, and is becoming higher. Sometimes impossibly so. Contrary to what that Panorama episode said very few people actually fake ADHD symptoms to get the meds, these aren't the sort of meds you can abuse and get high on. People need them to to function.

Fortunately in my case I did check with my surgery before I went private that they do accept shared care, but with the amount of time it's taking for the stock situation to improve, I just have to hope this policy lasts.

In the meantime I have boycotted the BBC and refuse to pay their TV licence any more. That wasn't the first incredibly biased and one sided panorama (and other current affairs reports) that they have produced by any means.

Other ones that stick in my mind, are the "cannabis causes scizophrenia" episode which was also incredibly one sided and ubalanced. Also the "Jeremey Corbyn is evil, racist, and useless' episode. I can't support an organisation that presents documentaries as being hard hitting and balanced, when they are anything but.

In any case the only things in general that I ever watched on the BBC were their natural world documentaries, and any snooker matches or finals if Ronnie O'Sullivan was one of his streaks of genius level form. I can do without a few hours of that every year for £170 or w/e the licence fee is now.

They went after an easy and relatively defenseless target attacking the ADHD population. One who without access to the medications they need to function well, are among one of the groups of the population most likely to struggle to organise themselves as individuals or a group to take any action.

The episode only received a very small number of official complaints, and considering what went down and what has happened as a result, that was a complete travesty.

Last edited:
It also wouldn't really make sense to abuse Ritalin in the UK since street amphetamine is dirt cheap. Would two Ritalin prescriptions even get you as high as a Q of speed? Maybe it'd be more worth it if you could get dexies.

I'd guess that Cannabis does cause schizophrenia though, at least in some people.

I'd guess that Cannabis does cause schizophrenia though, at least in some people.
Yes, but my problem with the episode was that they didn't even go into enough depth, balance, or nuance to mention such a crucial point.

The whole agenda was just a blanket presentation of the theory that cannabis causes schizophrenia. And just presenting any cases that fit that agenda and conveniently ignoring the 9999.9% of other cases that didn't support that theory.

Indefensible and dishonest in my opinion.

I never saw that particular documentary, but I think a lot more investigation needs to be done into whether it causes schizophrenia, who it causes schizophrenia in, and whether we can tell who will be affected before hand, before we start pushing it as "le harmless peaceful plant"

High THC skunk is a relatively new drug, stuff like shatter even newer

Most "hard" drugs will not give you permanent schizophrenia

Much difference in the standard codeine tech? I had read that some people struggled with paramol to get a good result. Does your solution filter clear or is it cloudy?

I never saw that particular documentary, but I think a lot more investigation needs to be done into whether it causes schizophrenia, who it causes schizophrenia in, and whether we can tell who will be affected before hand, before we start pushing it as "le harmless peaceful plant"

High THC skunk is a relatively new drug, stuff like shatter even newer

Most "hard" drugs will not give you permanent schizophrenia
I don't think it's ever really been thought to 'cause' schizophrenia, but it's clear that it can, in really extremely rare scenarions, cause latent issues to surface.

all medicines have side effects though

cba to go into into it right now, but cannabis has a much more impressive safety profile than many many drugs that are licensed medicines

People have used it for millennia. Millions use it regularly worldwide. . Where are all the people who have become scizophrenic after using? It's just a scare tactic, nonsense pretty much. Masive threat to bigpharma on many levels too, so the agenda you have swallowed is helpful for them

Many as a direct result of that incredibly biased, harmful, and sensationalist Panorma documentary last year, which basically said that the whole condition is a con, and that private prescriptions are worthless and can easily be faked provided the customer pays. I fucking hate that episode, and that Irish 'hipster' type guy with the stupid awful blue fisherman's beany hat and stripey shirt that surely only a clown would wear, who lied his way through several private consulatations and tricked the psychiatrists into giving him diagnosese.

OMG I actually signed up to ADHD360 after watching it as I couldn't believe it. I answered some questions (honestly) and the response before any consultation was I have ADHD and that to start a virtual consultant to pay a upfront fee of nearly 200.

I felt like there is this push to diagnose and push drugs on you to make money while they can...

A close friend of mine who's been living with ADHD all his life was surprised, as you need to go through psychologist, GP's, psychiatrist to get a diagnosis and even then it's upto you if you want to be on treatment.

How can they get away with this? and who is regulating this IMO dangerous platform.

I don't think it's ever really been thought to 'cause' schizophrenia, but it's clear that it can, in really extremely rare scenarions, cause latent issues to surface.

cba to go into into it right now, but cannabis has a much more impressive safety profile than many many drugs that are licensed medicines

People have used it for millennia. Millions use it regularly worldwide. . Where are all the people who have become scizophrenic after using? It's just a scare tactic, nonsense pretty much. Masive threat to bigpharma on many levels too, so the agenda you have swallowed is helpful for them
I think if you abuse any drug you risk mental illness. The important word is abuse. High dose weed can be dissociative and even psychedelic.

I kinda think you really had to work at it to get yourself really out there previously. Oil preparations and high grade make it a lot easier.

I'm sure I'd be mentally ill pretty quick if I drank a bottle of 200 proof spirit everyday.

People have not used strong cannabis with a very high ratio of THC:CBD for millennia. If you were dealing and tried to sell somebody the stuff the ancient south Americans smoked, or even 60s boomer weed, they'd put your teeth out