• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Sasha Shulgin, "Godfather of Ecstasy," Dead at 88

May he rest in peace.

I am in the minority on this site but I have never taken anything he made or helped develop, and never plan on it.

It's a shame that someone of his intelligence was reduced to making or helping create psychedelic drugs, and wasted their potential doing this and taking drugs for decades, instead of doing something that would actually greatly benefit humanity like developing a cure for HIV or Cancer, and really changing the world.

Even if someone were to come up with a cure to any of these things, some pharmaceutical company would buy the rights, lock up the info, and throw away the key. I can't tell if you're trying to trying to bait an argument with the numerous amount of people on here who are trying to honor the guy or what, but either way, he deserves some respect, more than just a belittling of his accomplishments anyway.

May he rest in peace.

I am in the minority on this site but I have never taken anything he made or helped develop, and never plan on it.

It's a shame that someone of his intelligence was reduced to making or helping create psychedelic drugs, and wasted their potential doing this and taking drugs for decades, instead of doing something that would actually greatly benefit humanity like developing a cure for HIV or Cancer, and really changing the world.

Yeah, I've heard that before from people who don't know a lot about medicinal chemistry.

The amount of research dollars and brainpower being dedicated to the development of HIV and cancer medication completely dwarfs anything Shulgin could ever have contributed.

He was a brilliant man but there have been chemists with far superior skills at synthesis (Woodward, Nicolau, Corey) and drug development (Janssen).

Shulgin isn't a legend because his scientific brilliance was incomparable, but because he applied it to a subject that was and still is largely unexplored.

Last edited:
I still stand by what I wrote. He wasted his intelligence and potential working developing research chemicals and designer drugs, and being a human guinea pig taking them for decades.

But he also did help develop chemical weapons, and lived off of expensive government grants; but of course the people who worship him will claim he did not do any of this.

While he was very intelligent at chemistry, neither he nor his wife Ann can write.

But it's obvious that both Alex and Ann burned out any intelligence they had by taking way too many drugs; but Timothy Leary did the same thing.

It is funny to me; but not surprising how his relatives and people are now auctioning off his possessions, signed books, and memorabilia on ebay to the highest bidder.

BlakeFeO22 days ago
Goodbye to an amazing grandpa! He didn't leave me any money but he gave me a 3,000 page "cookbook" that I don't fully understand. It's currently for sale on eBay.

Last edited:
^So...how are you using your intelligence and potential for the benefit of mankind?

Besides shitting on people's tribute pages when they die, I mean.

Having William Burroughs as your avatar, and the inspiration for your user name strikes me as a little ironic if we're going into the "legacy of drugs for the betterment of humanity" routine.
I suppose The Ticket that Exploded taught a thousand children living in poverty how to read and write?

Last edited:
^So...how are you using your intelligence and potential for the benefit of mankind?

Besides shitting on people's tribute pages when they die, I mean.

Having William Burroughs as your avatar, and the inspiration for your user name strikes me as a little ironic if we're going into the "legacy of drugs for the betterment of humanity" routine.
I suppose The Ticket that Exploded taught a thousand children living in poverty how to read and write?

Just because I am being realistic about the Shulgins and not sugar coating them, it does not mean I am 'shitting on their tribute page'.

I have done work as an educator, writer, editor, and translator.

I like WSB for reasons other than his drug use/addiction.

Last edited:
I still stand by what I wrote. He wasted his intelligence and potential working developing research chemicals and designer drugs, and being a human guinea pig taking them for decades.
You realise that every newly created drug starts off as a "research chemical", right?
Vaccines, psychiatric medications, painkillers - you name it.
It is a little simplistic to write him off as simply a "maker of research chemicals". This applies modern-day terminology - loaded with negative connotations - onto a man driven by his fascination to explore the variations in the psychoactivity of minor changes in the composition of molecules.

There is a long tradition of scientists on the vanguard of research - much less so nowadays than in the past - of self-experimentation.
Rather than give you a series of examples, I suggest having a look at the list of such practices on this wiki;
https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-experimentation_in_medicine

Self experimentation in medicine is neither unprecedented or without merit; especially when studying the subjective differences in many series of slightly altered psychedelic substances.
While he was very intelligent at chemistry, neither he nor his wife Ann can write.
For the sake of argument, I am going to stick with that other controversial, dead counterculture figure I already mentioned - Mr Burroughs.
Sure - he could write - but he also killed his wife by attempting to drunkenly shoot a glass off her head.
Saying "neither he nor his wife Ann can write" is both a petty criticism and demonstrably false; whether you like their writing style(s) is hardly relevant.
In a tribute thread following the man's death it is either very cold, bitter (because he was a published and well read writer?) or trollish.
PriestTheyCalledHim said:
But it's obvious that both Alex and Ann burned out any intelligence they had by taking way too many drugs; but Timothy Leary did the same thing.
Obvious?
This is unfounded speculation, and absolutely absurd. The man was 88 years old, and - like many people of that age (or even in some cases - decades younger) he was suffering from dementia. There is absolutely no evidence that this was caused by his experimentation with drugs - and to claim so is not only ignorant, but slanderous.
It is funny to me; but not surprising how his relatives and people are now auctioning off his possessions, signed books, and memorabilia on ebay to the highest bidder.
Why is that funny? You realise how much of a financial burden health care is to people with serious illnesses (and needing 24hr care) in the United States? I don't know where you're from, which is why I ask this.
You aware that people have been collecting donations for sometime now, from charitable folk, to pay this man's health costs?
The family also reportedly were selling off parts of their property - which I believe he inherited from his own, dead parents - to pay for his care in his twilight years.
So much for the "expensive government grants" you allege he received. How do you expect scientific researchers to find their work - and support themselves?
To claim he was rich, is - again - lacking in substance and understanding.
The man died broke, and asking for donations from members of the public.

You're not being "realistic" - you're slinging (bogus) shit at his legacy.
Just because I am being realistic about the Shulgins and not sugar coating them, it does not mean I am 'shitting on their tribute page'.
I am yet to see any "realism" frankly. Misinformed armchair criticism - sure.
But who is sugarcoating?
It's called showing respect. It is a convention in western societies not to speak ill of the recently deceased, especially in public - particularly when people are paying their respects - and even more so, when you make a lot of false accusations and conclusions.
His dignity is firmly intact - you should be a little more concerned about your own, frankly.
I like WSB for reasons other than his drug use/addiction.
So do I.
But he - like Shulgin - was a divisive character. Far, far more so.

He did not live a life of altruism - despite his considerable intellect - and arguably hurt (and killed, in his wife Joan's case) people in his wake. As a thief and an absent father to his (psychologically damaged) son - and a man with a predilection for (paid) sex with young boys - many criticised him as a pretty unsavoury character.

More to the point - Shulgin created novel psychedelic compounds in the name of scientific research.

William Burroughs sold heroin. He even explains how to cut it with one-third 'milk sugar' in his book Junky.

Now, as I noted above - I am also a fan of his work, and don't judge an artist - or a person - by their drug use, or shady dealings.
But to lay all that personal shit on Shulgin is to take extremely cheap shots at a man who had arguably as much influence on post-war counterculture - and the broader culture - as our man Burroughs.

Burroughs "cut up" novels were an interesting artistic experiment - but hardly great pieces of writing.
Not only that, but they were a creation of Brion Gysin, his collaborator.

I don't care what you think of Shulgin personally - but show a little respect.
Bluelight would not be the place it is - if in fact it could ever have existed at all - without the incredible life's work Dr Alexander "Sasha" Shulgin.
Your criticisms are petty and lacking any evidence whatsoever.

Last edited:
Drug discovery is so compartmentalized and proprietary nowadays that a hobbyist like Shulgin can accomplish more than a biochemist working for Lily or whatever.

May he rest in peace.

Well, it's not very hard to understand why you're not very shaken by his passing - assuming that you've never experimented with MDMA and such.

MDMA use can have a profoundly positive long term effect on a user. On the other hand, it can also lead to death depending on various factors, but considering the amount of people who use the drug, the fatality rate is quite low. That doesn't mean it's 100% safe. No drug is 100% safe, not even THC, but I digress.

In any case, if you're content to live your life without using Phenethylamines and/or Tryptamines, then that's great (less drug-related risks which apply to the aforementioned families of compounds to worry about).

While reckless, I've always found this to be admirable.

Instead of testing the stuff on animals or willing human test subjects, he put himself in possible harm's way.

I certainly wouldn't have had the balls to continue testing different dosages on myself as he did, and which he continued to do even after experiencing many bad trips due to very high dosages and certain substances with a very low therapeutic index.

Even so, the guy still managed to live to 88 years of age. I'd feel very lucky to make it past 80, considering my very reckless (and regrettable) history.

That's an interesting claim, can you back that up?

He worked for Dow chemical company, and Bio-Rad. They both do not just make harmless pesticides. Dow chemical company makes Agent orange.

No I do not actually believe that he really took every single drug he made either.

Last edited:
Why do you not believe that?

You could try a new drug, once a month for 10 years. Leading to 120 new drugs being tested within that 10 year period. The month between is likely to prevent any accumulative damage being done as long as you were responsible with testing.

He didn't do this for 10 years. He did it for far longer. So why would it be unreasonable that he could test every drug he made?

I read in both PIHKAL and TIHKAL in the notes for some of the drugs he would have instead of "I took, I consumed, etc.", he would write about other people being a lab rat and taking his new drug creation, and then telling him how they reacted to it.

What an incredible human being. Every time I refer to his books I am blown away at how smart this man was. And what a positive impact he made on the psychedelic culture.

Rest in peace, you'll never be forgotten

I read in both PIHKAL and TIHKAL in the notes for some of the drugs he would have instead of "I took, I consumed, etc.", he would write about other people being a lab rat and taking his new drug creation, and then telling him how they reacted to it.

I am pretty certain that they enthusiastically agreed to test the chemicals in question, and also that he himself tested them first on most or all occasions.

As for whether he "wasted" his intelligence, aren't you making a very biased judgment of what is a waste? Of course, we all are biased in this regard, so it would be silly to answer this question negatively... So I guess that what I want to ask is this: don't you see that he helped many people - and even saved many lives - by giving them tools with which to potentially overcome trauma, rethink their values, etc? Since they give him (or the drugs he made) credit for helping them tremendously, it seems hard to deny his positive influences, even if your values don't coincide.

I am pretty certain that they enthusiastically agreed to test the chemicals in question, and also that he himself tested them first on most or all occasions.

As for whether he "wasted" his intelligence, aren't you making a very biased judgment of what is a waste? Of course, we all are biased in this regard, so it would be silly to answer this question negatively... So I guess that what I want to ask is this: don't you see that he helped many people - and even saved many lives - by giving them tools with which to potentially overcome trauma, rethink their values, etc? Since they give him (or the drugs he made) credit for helping them tremendously, it seems hard to deny his positive influences, even if your values don't coincide.

It's difficult to make a believer out of a skeptic if he hasn't personally benefited.

He worked for Dow chemical company, and Bio-Rad. They both do not just make harmless pesticides. Dow chemical company makes Agent orange.

The fact that he worked for a company or companies that developed chemical weapons isn't sufficient evidence to claim that he personally helped develop chemical weapons.

^ guilt by associaton (ie not even close to evidence he worked on anything of that nature).