Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Sasha Shulgin, "Godfather of Ecstasy," Dead at 88

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Sasha Shulgin, "Godfather of Ecstasy," Dead at 88
Dayna Evans
Gawker
June 2nd, 2014

Alexander "Sasha" Shulgin, pioneer, pharmacologist, author, and medicinal chemist, passed away this evening at the age of 88. He is best known for introducing MDMA, the purest form of ecstasy, to psychologists in the 70s.

Shulgin published the popular TiHkal (Tryptamines I Have Known And Loved) and PiHKAL (Phenethylamines I Have Known And Loved) with his wife, Ann. Shulgin was formerly a chemist for The Dow Chemical Company before he moved on in 1965 to pursue his own research, which he performed at his house in Berkeley, California.

Read the full story here.

R.I.P. to a genius, and the greatest figure in all of drug culture.

Quite a long life and a very peaceful death for someone who has probably taken hundreds of different psychoactive substances.

10356270_10152132812682797_5394060465719259460_n.jpg

RIP

we all knew this was coming but it's still a very sad day. RiP

So sad to hear the news. We need more people like him. I have yet to buy any of his books but it has been on my to-do list to buy them (tried checking in some libraries but nothing).

I absolutely believe psychedelics have their place in society, without a doubt. They should, however, be used responsibly. I have used them for self-introspection and it's incredible the power that psychedelics have to allow you to dig deep into your brain, memories, emotions, rationale, everything. You can find solutions to deep personal problems and you can gain a complete new perspective on life.

We need more people like Shulgin. Excuse my ignorance, but are there any organizations devoted to the research of psychedelics that accept Paypal donations? I just read in Wikipedia that his wife had to sell a part of their properties to cover the medical expenses of Shulgin's poor health. I recall an organization called MAPS, but they don't seem to be advertised anymore here at BL. Would appreciate if you knew of any organizations that are trying to advance psychedelic research and that take donations. Thanks!

This is a man who truly made an impact on the world and left it a far-better place than when he found it.

On a personal note, I can't imagine what my life would be like without Shulgin's work; I have a feeling my life would be far different and not in a better way. My ability to be a better person as well as my passion for chemistry and pharmacology is a direct result of Sasha.

On a personal note, I can't imagine what my life would be like without Shulgin's work; I have a feeling my life would be far different and not in a better way. My ability to be a better person as well as my passion for chemistry and pharmacology is a direct result of Sasha.

Likewise, I don't want to imagine what my life would be like without this man's work, especially regarding MDMA.

His contributions have truly changed me in a positive way. Not only was he a one of a kind scientist but he was a one of a kind person. Hopefully in the future society will look back and acknowledge all the contributions he has made.
RIP

May he rest in peace.

I am in the minority on this site but I have never taken anything he made or helped develop, and never plan on it.

It's a shame that someone of his intelligence was reduced to making or helping create psychedelic drugs, and wasted their potential doing this and taking drugs for decades, instead of doing something that would actually greatly benefit humanity like developing a cure for HIV or Cancer, and really changing the world.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, in regard to shulgin's enormous cultural impact - I'm posting a song about one of his earliest known creations - "STP" ('hippies call it STP' - but we call it DOM, or 2,5-Dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine).

Much is said about Sasha's influence on rave culture and the latter waves of psychedelia and associated artistic and cultural phenomena that flowed from that.

But this little ditty, from a wonderful band called the Holy Modal Rounders, was recorded in 1968.
I believe it was partially written under the influence of DOM/'STP'.

Much love and respect Dr Shulgin <3
Hope you have found that Serenity, Tranquility and Peace after all.

Just to mention, PiHKAL and TiHKAL are freely available in pdf form, or at least used to be. I bet you could still find them easily is you look. Hard copies are always better imho, especially in cases like this, but if you've never come across them and are interested in psychedelic drugs and culture, etc. etc. great way to get those feet wet.

ALSO

Video: The X King Is Dead! Long Live the X King!

Walter Armstrong | 6/3/14 said:
What Lenin was to the Russian revolution, Malcolm X to the black power movement, and Spinoza to the Enlightenment, Alexander “Sasha” Shulgin was to psychedelia.

Shulgin died yesterday of liver cancer in the Bay Area, where he had lived for his entire 88 years. Shulgin was a lab chemist whose ascension into the Age of Aquarius was much quieter than that of the likes of Timothy O’Leary just as his legacy is far more lasting. Today, the tributes to that legacy are e-accumulating from the top psychedelia sites like Erowid, which has an entire “Shulgin Vault.”

Somewhat unlikely, Shulgin started out in the late 1950s with a spectacularly successful stint at Dow Chemical, where he developed the first biodegradable pesticide; the product, Zectran, was a blockbuster, and Dow rewarded Shulgin by bankrolling his ongoing lab work, sometimes assembling a chemical for Dow, sometimes going his own way.

His own way led him into the burgeoning field of psychopharmacology and psychoactive drugs. Ever the empiricist, he had already experimented with mescaline (“I learned there was a great deal inside me,” he recalled) and, after leaving Dow in 1966, he set up his own lab in a small brick structure behind his house outside Berkeley and got down to business.

Shulgin’s reputation as an independent researcher who was not only synthesizing—and testing on himself and fellow San Francisco researchers—new psychoactive drugs but teaching and lecturing about it came to the attention of the Drug Enforcement Agency. It was the late 1960s. The market in psychedelics was exploding. The agency asked him to educate them on the wonders of psychopharmacology, and Shulgin went on the DEA payroll, testifying as an expert witness in criminal cases and writing Controlled Substances: Chemical and Legal Guide to Federal Drug Laws in 1988.

Somewhat miraculously, during a half century of increasing government crackdown on the design, production, sale and use of mind-expanding chemicals, Shulgin retained the DEA license he had been issued in the 1960s to permit him to work with Schedule I drugs. He focused on phenethylamines, a class of hallucinogens including mescaline and MDMA, and on tryptamines, whose lineage includes LSD and psilocin, making hundreds of tweaks on their chemical composition—removing an oxygen atom here, say, or adding one there—and testing the effects by tweaking his brain and those of his colleagues. With scientific rigor, he recorded thousands of these experiments in lab notebooks.

In 1991 Shulgin made the decisive leap from scientist to revolutionary. Having rescued MDMA from obscurity in the previous decade only to see it mass-produced and then outlawed, he self-published his trove of records. The book, PHiCAL: Phenethylamines I Have Known and Loved, was not well received by the DEA. The agency raided Shulgin’s lab in 1994, finally revoking his license. Undaunted, Shulgin published a sequel, THiCAL: The Continuation, about the tryptamine class of hallucinogens.

Shulgin intended the two books to be exactly what the DEA has called them: “cookbooks on how to make illegal drugs.” He wanted to bequeath to future generations public access to the psychedelic kingdom. The recipe for MDMA—3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine—is now used worldwide to manufacture many millions of illegal, unregulated and potentially dangerous doses of the substance.

Shulgin lived long enough to see the essential premise of his life confirmed. He always held that these chemicals have therapeutic powers and would, in a better world, be developed and tested as medicine to treat mental disorders. Over the past decade, the FDA has gingerly approved tiny research projects of MDMA and LSD for the treatment of PTSD and the acute anxiety of terminally ill patients.

In the following 1996 video, Shulgin explains why he spends his life discovering psychedelic drugs.

http://www.substance.com/video-the-x-king-is-dead-long-live-the-x-king/

Be well. Please live on by our side, forever.

Last edited by a moderator: