Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Twin Peaks

Lynch is one of the only film-makers that hasn't declined in his later years, in my opinion.

This is actually a third season of the same show, not a reboot.

Laura Palmer said in the last episode, "I'll see you in 25 years."

Now, 25 years later, she's returning. I'm genuinely excited about this, but I've been burned so many times. It better have original cast members.

i've been rewatching twin peaks recently... this is such great news.

alasdair

Yes! I saw "Fire Walk With Me" first, then the series, giving me an unusual, and I like to think more objective, vantage point relative to most viewers. The prequel was released after "Twin Peaks'" cancellation and didn't receive the reception I thought it deserved. And of course most fans agree season two suffered from a script that leaned heavily on hopes for renewal for a third, leading to plot momentum sapping digressions and a sense among fans of serious potential untapped. To hear that Lynch is finishing it now -- with balls-out films like "Mullholland Drive" and "Inland Empire" notched in his belt since testifying that the man only grows more potent with age, and presumably with an outline of the original story's ending still in hand -- is music to my ears.

i couldn't believe the news this week. i've been following a facebook group called "bring back twin peaks" with no actual hope of it happening. just wanted a nice image or quote pop up here and there. i wonder if Angelo Badalamenti is also back on board. it will also be set 25 years since the original series. can't fricken wait.

Yes, someone just posted news about it on my fb wall. I followed all the series. His earlier work is bizarre. Check out " Grandmother " :\

Every line in twin peaks was super saturated with meaning, it almost seems the is incompatible with modern television, which seems way more concerned with emulating something viewers can identify with as real dialog, than conveying meaning in a more literary or artistic sense, because these things look corny on television.

I was 9 years old when I the first episode of twin peaks went on air, so I realize I cannot really look at the show objectively now whatsoever, for me the show portrays a very tangible sort of an alternate more magical way of looking at reality, which is just so so appealing. All characters accept agent coopers insights from dreams as actual clues, for example, this is the norm in twin peaks world.
I am so so psyched to see how lynch adopts the story to what I perceive as much more cynical modern audiences.

While I love Twin Peaks and am not a big fan of the highly-polished televised turds that receive the majority of nominations these days, there have been some undeniably wonderful television shows produced over the past decade. To say that every line of Twin Peaks had multi-layered meanings is a bit much. It was a beautifully stylized and unique show, but there were large sections of it that (intentionally) threatened to cross over the border between art-house and soap opera. I'd argue that the dialogue in Arrested Development, although often absurd, has a much higher concentration of layered "meanings" than Twin Peaks.

Twin Peaks started to break the mould, defying conventions and paving the way for the future of television. If anything, I think audiences these days are more open (less cynical), as far as unconventional programming goes. Perhaps it is your perception of television audiences (and, by extension, your fellow man) that is cynical?

I agree with you that the show intentionally bordered on soap opera, often coming so close to comedic parody and just straight actual soap opera that the line became unclear.
And I am glad you called me out on that, and I admit that when I first saw twin peaks at 9 years old, amd then later revised at about 14-15 when Lynch became my first experience outside of traditional hollywood cinema, to say every line had so much meaning probably speaks more to the state I was in when I absorbed the show originally. But I still feel that after shows like the wire and curb your enthusiasm have altered our expectations, that a new season of twin peaks will have to be something totally new.

Last edited:
lol bordered? no, twin peaks indulges in pure soap. do you remember the show within the show?

10710711_10205141428684788_1288223344604398332_n.jpg

10644520_10205141425884718_2815401977814180596_o.jpg

and everyone was having sex with everyone. .. and how many cliffhangers did they cram in that amazing last season 1 episode!

it was very much a wonderful soap opera, but like the fish in the percolator in the pilot, it is was a completely different kettle of ...

I guess it's SO much better than every other soap opera ever made, that I put it in a different category... Art Soap! What I meant was - and, perhaps, it wasn't very well worded - sometimes Peaks shifts (intentionally) from "Art Soap" to pure soap opera. Generally, I was just objecting to the idea that the language was multi-layered / Shakespearean. There's a lot of wonderfully fluffy ridiculous dialogue.

i agree with you, 100%.

just putting this out there

;)

Most excellent news.

I thought this would never happen. Now if Carnivale is resurrected my life is complete (an HBO show inspired heavily by Twin Peaks - very Lynchian film noir and has the guy who played as Man from Another Place in it as a main character)

And very glad it won't be on some commercial-infested network which would condense it to 42 minutes/episode and censor it squelching David Lynch's artistic prowess.

carnivale was good too, it got axed just as it got real interesting. real shame.

also just to note:
one eye jacks = penis
twin peaks = boobs

:D

That made me laugh, Lefty.

I'm watching Carnivale at the moment. Most of the way through season 1.
It's a good show, but it ain't no Twin Peaks.

i'm really glad to help with your high spirits :)

carnivale needed way more humour. .. and the ending shits me cuz it finally set the full premise and then stopped. no twin peaks, indeed.
edit: still worth the journey imo (i've done it twice)

I feel similarly about "Carnivale": a worthwhile effort to explore similar territory, but with feet too small to fit in the Lynchian shoes it would like to wear to do it. There's really nobody out there walking the paths Lynch treads, though I've got to respect any attempt. In this spirit I was delighted, though not surprised, when I saw Clancy Brown (Brother Justin) pop up as Dr. Marconi in "John Dies At The End."

One has to wonder whether there was any meta-filmic intent in writing that Laura Palmer would see Agent Cooper in 25 years, just for the speculative joy of it. It's exceedingly unlikely that way back in the 90s Lynch intuited TP's cancellation and that TV culture would be ready to receive whatever he has planned for Act III of the Twin Peaks saga in 2016 -- I mean, the inimitable "Bob" character was reportedly designed on the spot when Lynch saw a member of the film crew creepin' about Laura's bed on set, implying that fundamental story elements are derived from a mercurial creative process -- but it sure is fun to imagine that he did.

Last edited:
i just started watching twin peaks. someone asked me if i remembered twin peaks from college and how awesome it was. i said no because i'm 25 and was a year old when it premiered. but i am almost done with season one right now. i don't care what the show is about. it could be a about post disaster architecture, as long as it had the same clothes and soundtrack. i feel like audre horne is excess. i don't see her purpose besides chaotic good and a slow mo jam in a diner. i've seen her boobs a bunch though because of 90 playboy which was a good year.

tumblr_ndp0aiXonL1rkuf1ao1_500.jpg