• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

tv: what shows have 'jumped the shark'?

wanderlust

Bluelighter
jumping the shark is a colloquialism used by TV critics and fans to denote that point in a TV show or movie series' history where the plot veers off into absurd story lines or out-of-the-ordinary characterizations, particularly for a show with falling ratings apparently becoming more desperate to draw viewers in. In the process of undergoing these changes, the TV or movie series loses its original appeal. Shows that have "jumped the shark" are typically deemed to have passed their peak.

this continues here

looking around the forum at posts and threads that have dropped off in popularity over the last few seasons i am beginning to wonder... what shows have, in your opinion, jumped the shark?

i just watched this week's nip/tuck and i have to say by the literal definition it has, most certainly, jumped the shark with this insane plot lines (not that it has ever been straight on normal, but it has gotten ridiculous over the last two-three seasons).

other shows may be less prone to the insane side of things but may have reached their pinnacle and are on their way to a not so graceful exit (simpsons, anyone?). other shows may fit into this side of 'jumping the shark'.

in the u.s. of tara thread there were complaints of other showtime shows that have gone downhill such as dexter and weeds. have they peaked?
how many bad days can one person have? is a season seven of 24 way too much? was season 6 even pushing it? this show went from a few pages of comments per season to just a sparse few comments by a few die hard fans.
law and order? american idol?
recently the makers of monk decided to take their award winning show with sag, emmy and golden globe award winning actor tony shalhoub off their air after next season. they said it was a cast consensus that they should go out at (or near) the top of their game. is this the way other shows should have gone?

tv guide has many fan ideas of who, when and where shows have jumped

Heroes and Lost should fight for the name change of Jumping The Shark. They just get progessively silly with each new episode.

Grey's Anatomy... it was absurd before but from what I've heard it's just so amazingly implausible nowadays.

All of the above, plus Family Guy, not because of ridiculousness, but sheer awfulness. Hell, everything on TV sucks nowadays except maybe It's Always Sunny... even they slipped a little last season.

The simpsons fell off after season 10. Family guy hasn't been that good lately. LOST is getting absolutely ridiculous.

American Idol still seems to be going strong.

I still love 24. I think it is as good as it ever was.

Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles holds my attention, though I think the pacing is slow and they could be doing more.

House is as good as ever.

I like fringe, though I think most of it is a rip off the X-files.

I saw an interview with Harold Perrineau, who played Michael on Lost. He was asked if he knew what was going on with the show. He said that he really didn't watch it that much since his character was killed off. He also said he was confused as hell with the whole time-travel plot.

If a man who was one of the stars of Lost can't even figure out what the hell is going on with that show, what hope does the average viewer have? That show has jumped the shark on a unicycle that has been doused in gasoline and set ablaze.

All of the above, plus Family Guy, not because of ridiculousness, but sheer awfulness. Hell, everything on TV sucks nowadays except maybe It's Always Sunny... even they slipped a little last season.

I agree but some of the episodes were pure gold this season... especially The Gang Solves the Oil Crisis.

^ you may not consider it a good show but i don;t think you can argue it's ever jumped the shark - the basic format hasn't changed in 8 seasons.

alasdair

I think Lost works and is as good as when it started, completely baffling for anyone who hasn't watched it religiously but everything's starting to be explained. The stories are getting a bit crazy but it's well written enough to not be ridiculous. If Harold Perrineau isn't watching all the episodes then why should he be expected to know what's happening because he was in the first few seasons?

Heroes had one good season and then everything after has just been poor. Bad story decisions plus the writers strike completely killed series 2 and series 3 is just stupidly weak. Again though I would disagree that it has jumped the shark, it was a pretty fantastical premise to begin with. I just think the writers/creators have failed to do anything worthwhile with what they had.

Weeds definitely jumped the shark last series, she's gone from selling eigths in the suburbs to importing kilos of heroin/people smuggling and dating the major of Tijuana.

Fringe jumped the shark in it's very first episode (however impossible that may be), the whole LSD/Ketamine mind meld thing was one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. Joshua Jackson's wisecrack/explaining everything in as simple terms as possible for the slower audience members character infuriated me also.

Regarding LOST--Someone PLEASE tell me hwat happened to Rose and bernard !???? Shouldn't they still be on the island?

Can a show 'jump the shark' right off the bat?

If so I've got a few.

South Park? but then again...

i wholeheartedly disagree. Whilst some episodes aren't great, the show has been pretty consistant with its ratio of great/not so great episodes.

^^^^^^

Wholeheartedly AGREE.

In fact, IMO, largely because Parker & Stone "made it" SO early in their respective careers, they're still relatively young and hungry, and as a result, South Park is one of the only shows I've ever seen which was actually just as strong in Seasons 10 through 12 as it was in Seasons 1 through 3.

(And because it's easier go stay fresh in a cartoon than in a non-cartoon.