⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Rome

posner said:
Yeah, wow they found good looking people to be on a television show. Remarkable.

The show isn't bad, especially considering most of the crap on tv. But it doesn't even touch shows like Six Feet Under, Sopranos, The Wire, or Deadwood (never seen Carnivale). The story lines aren't particularly compelling. I think it makes more sense on a channel like Cinemax or Showtime. The sex and nudity, instead of enhancing the show, often detract. And what the hell is up with the british accents? Why does every movie or tv show that tries to represent an ancient civilization insist on using british accents (and colloquialisms)?
giggle giggle...none of the shows you mentioned have beautiful women in them, IMO. so stop with the crankiness and let us ogle such a beautiful woman that is Niobe.

really? you don't think rachel griffiths (six feet under) or molly parker (deadwood)---for example---are attractive?

The point was that visual media is bombarded with "good looking" people. That has nothing to do with how good the show is. You can go to any piece of shit sitcom or reality show and find "good looking" people. The fact that the actress who plays Niobe is good looking doesn't make that show good.

posner said:
Yeah, wow they found good looking people to be on a television show. Remarkable.

The show isn't bad, especially considering most of the crap on tv. But it doesn't even touch shows like Six Feet Under, Sopranos, The Wire, or Deadwood (never seen Carnivale). The story lines aren't particularly compelling. I think it makes more sense on a channel like Cinemax or Showtime. The sex and nudity, instead of enhancing the show, often detract. And what the hell is up with the british accents? Why does every movie or tv show that tries to represent an ancient civilization insist on using british accents (and colloquialisms)?

1. Its not TV, its HBO ;)
2. The british accents and speech patterns are because it was originally a BBC production
3. I'm generally against gratuitous nudity in drama, but I think it serves to show that Roman times were lustier, closer to nature and generally things that are totally taboo now were nearly daily occurances then.

1. Nice one.
2. I didn't realize (but regardless, the accent thing is pervasive no matter who is filming it or what it pertains to and it's fairly annoying. They should at least do away with the colloquialisms)

3. They should then do a much better job of filming it.
The absurdity of it really detracts. There are infinitely more ways to show 1. that people engaged in sexual activity more, more out in the open (I'm not really sure what the primitive argument would be and I frankly disagree with it) and 2. that people were less "civilized". There are better ways to show that people were more sexual than by bombarding the viewer with gratuitous nudity and unrealistically undulating actors.

wow. i was sick yesterday so watched 4-12 and just loved them, really enjoyable, can't wati for the second season!

though i am wondering, who was that "king of gaul" guy they hung before ceasars big festival when he his reign was celebrated? they never said who he was, i am guessing it is supposed to be addressed next season. ???

*spoiler*

i hope vorenus doesn't go nuts on the kid now that niobe killed herself. hopefully he takes her last words into account.

oh and is his buddy lovable or what?? i felt so bad when the slave was going to marry that other guy, even felt bad for him even though he brutally killed that guy!!

^

I haven't seen it, but I can virtually guarantee that you are referring to Vercingetorix. Very famous historical figure.

thank you! we will see....i feel totally obtuse, I have never heard of him.

edit, ok thank you google. it certainly is that man. though in reality they don't know how he died, apparently, though in this show they are showing him publically hung.

I'm not sure what kind of standard you have for production value posner, but ROME is easily the most visually stunning portrayal of ancient Rome I've ever seen. The sets are amazing and saying it would be better suited for Showtime is silly since they have zero shows that come close to the kind of financial burden this show carried.

I'd agree the dialogue isn't the strongest, but at the same time, should it be for a historical epic? There's much time to be covered in a series like this...as this season alone covered nearly a decade. Gratuitous nudity...sure...but I think it added a level of realism to the show people have never really experienced for ancient Roman times. The detail of covering the imagined look and feel, as well as the culture of ancient Rome in this show is unparalleled to anything else I've seen.

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire season and it'll be hard to wait until '07 for the second season. There's plenty left to be excited about and I'm awfully curious to know what happens to our buddy-buddy combo of Vorenus and Pullo.

And wow...Pullo's battle in the Arena was just jaw-dropping. That pretty much made up for the skipping of the major battles during the show's timeline.

Last edited:
Well, I don't think that having a huge budget necessarily makes it a good show. Anyone can make something look impressive with the right budget.
I'm saying the quality of the storyline, dialogue, characters is of a Showtime variety.
However, I realize I'm probably in the minority (in this board) here. But I also thought the Lord of the Rings trilogy was a good looking, extraordinarily boring epic. Read: Not compelling.

As far as the showing of sex is concerned, you can make it known to the audience that people are having sex without ridiculous and superfluous sex scenes involving ludicrous gyrations. You can tell at a point that the sex scenes are inserted because people like to watch people having sex rather than to add anything to the storyline.

And why should a show get away with a lower standard of dialogue simply because it is a "historical epic"?

Also, on a more emotional level, I'm not particularly interested in the Old West at all, but I think Deadwood is an amazing show and is able to get me past my general disinterest in the Old West. I am, though, very interested in ancient Rome but the show just bores me. It would take less for a show on ancient Rome to compel me, but it doesn't even meet that bar.

Last edited:
As a fellow admirer of Roman history, I'd say that your raised level of expectations for a show featuring that kind of timeline makes it more difficult for a show to please, whereas your low expectations of a show based on the Old West helps you enjoy an excellent show such as Deadwood.

I wasn't making the point that a big budget translates into a good show. You seem so unimpressed by the detail HBO and the BBC went to recreate Rome, which was the main point of doing the show. The characters and story for the most part are not original, as they're aligning with a good level of historical accuracy, and really the creators of the show have stated their focus was to breathe life into the city from all perspectives, and sometimes that means being a little more edgy than some may desire. I think the dialogue is a bit rushed and simple, but that's more of a reflection of the characters in my opinion. Maybe you dislike the portrayal of some historical figures...fair enough...but my interest in the show is the feel of the city...the recreation of it...and that's one area you cannot deny ROME succeeds in. Your comment about anyone with a big budget can make something look good is too generalized and really not all that true.

LapDawg said:
As a fellow admirer of Roman history, I'd say that your raised level of expectations for a show featuring that kind of timeline makes it more difficult for a show to please, whereas your low expectations of a show based on the Old West helps you enjoy an excellent show such as Deadwood.

I think I have a better grasp on the inner workings of my mind than you. As far as the look of the show, I can see how you would be impressed by the "look". I am not saying the creators didn't do a good job in that regard; it just isn't enough to satisfy me.

Last edited:
The pervert I am, my favourite scene was when Servilia of the Junii coupled with Octavia of the Julii =D

Season two premiere was pretty damn good.

I have never before seen a more artistic depiction of a decapitation.

shit, didn't know it came back on, thanks for the post pennywise, will look for it and start dvr'ing!

I have only seen a few DVDs of this show but I loved it! One memorable scene was where this kids mother had hired him a whore and said something like 'You won't come back out of your room until you have PENETRATED her!'. Also this queen chick sending her friend some large aboriginal guy with a huge penis as a gift saying like 'every woman needs a huge penis' or something liek that. This show is so outragously sexual, I love it. Watching it with girls rocks as you can tell their all getting hot under the collar cause SHIT - that stuff it HOT! I liked how they had some huge sex binge then she calls her servent out fromthe shadows to bring her a water.He was just there watching lol. Fucking weird! Fucking cool too!

Does anyone else just fucking LOOOOVE this television show ? AMAZING plot, CHARACTERS, VIOLENCE, and of course EXPLICIT SEX/NUDITY! Seriously, this show makes the ladies SQUIRM. Yes! This show fucking rocks, and if you haven't seen it yet then you are MISSING OUT.

P.S. LoL i'm a bit drunk and just realized I posted in this thread a few days ago. It still kicks ass. :)

P.S.P.S. Deadwood blows.

Last edited:
My fucking God!

I just watched the last few episodes of the 1st season on Comcast On Demand.

So fucking brilliant.