Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Rome

paradoxcycle

Bluelight Crew
Premieres August 28th at 9PM

The year is 52 B.C. Four hundred years after the founding of the Republic, Rome is the wealthiest city in the world, a cosmopolitan metropolis of one million people, epicenter of a sprawling empire. The Republic was founded on principles of shared power and fierce personal competition, never allowing one man to seize absolute control. But now, those foundations are crumbling, eaten away by corruption and excess. The ruling class has become extravagantly wealthy, with a precipitous decline in the old values of Spartan discipline and social unity. There is now a great chasm between the classes. Legal and political systems have weakened, and power has increasingly shifted to the military.

After eight years of war, Gaius Julius Caesar has completed his masterful conquest of Gaul, and is returning to Rome. He brings with him legions of battle-hardened, loyal men, unimaginable riches in slaves, gold and plunder, and a populist agenda for radical social change. The aristocracy is terrified, and threatens to prosecute him for war crimes if he enters Rome. The delicate balance of power lies in the Senate with Caesar's old friend, partner and mentor, Pompey Magnus.

Such is the situation when two soldiers of Caesar's 13th Legion, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, are ordered into the wilds of Gaul to retrieve their legion's stolen standard, the unifying symbol of Caesar's legion, setting off a chain of circumstances that will entwine them in pivotal events of ancient Rome. An intimate drama of love and betrayal, masters and slaves, and husbands and wives, ROME chronicles epic times that saw the fall of a Republic and the creation of an empire when it debuts SUNDAY, AUG. 28 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO.

A co-production between HBO and the BBC, ROME is one of the largest co-production deals ever by the BBC for an American series, and marks the first series co-production of the two networks. HBO and the BBC previously partnered on the 2001 miniseries "Band of Brothers," which won six Emmy® Awards, including Outstanding Miniseries.

"You rarely see onscreen the complexity and color that was ancient Rome," says co-creator, executive producer and writer Bruno Heller. "It has more in common with places like Mexico City and Calcutta than quiet white marble. Rome was brightly colored, a place of vibrant cruelty, full of energy, dynamism and chaotic filth. It was a merciless existence, dog-eat-dog, with a very small elite, and masses of poverty. We see the same problems today - crime, unemployment, disease, and pressure to preserve your place in a precarious society. There's the potential for social mobility, if you're smart.

"Human nature never changes," continues Heller, "and the great thing about the Romans, from a dramatic perspective, is that they're a people with the fetters taken completely off. They had no prosaic God telling them right from wrong and how to behave. It was a strictly personal morality, and whether or not an action is wrong would depend on whether people more powerful than you would approve. You were allowed to murder your neighbor or covet his wife if it didn't piss off the wrong person. Mercy was a weakness, cruelty a virtue, and all that mattered was personal honor, loyalty to yourself and your family."

ROME was shot throughout Italy, with Michael Apted ("Coal Miner's Daughter," "The World Is Not Enough") directing the first three episodes. Additional directors include Allen Coulter (HBO's "The Sopranos"), Julian Farino (HBO's "Entourage"), Jeremy Podeswa (HBO's "Carnivale"), Alan Poul (HBO's "Six Feet Under"), Mikael Salomon (HBO's "Band of Brothers"), Steve Shill (HBO's "The Wire"), Alan Taylor (HBO's "Deadwood") and Timothy Van Patten (HBO's "Sex and the City").

Among the actors starring in the first season are Kevin McKidd ("Kingdom of Heaven") as Lucius Vorenus, Ray Stevenson ("King Arthur") as Titus Pullo, Ciaran Hinds ("Road to Perdition") as Gaius Julius Caesar, Kenneth Cranham ("Gangster No. 1") as Pompey Magnus, Polly Walker ("Patriot Games") as Atia of the Julii, James Purefoy ("Vanity Fair") as Mark Antony, Tobias Menzies ("Foyle's War") as Marcus Junius Brutus, Lindsay Duncan ("Under the Tuscan Sun") as Servilia of the Junii, Indira Varma ("Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love") as Niobe, Max Pirkis ("Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World") as Gaius Octavian and Kerry Condon ("Angela's Ashes") as Octavia of the Julii.

Rome was Created by John Milius and William Macdonald and Bruno Heller. Written by Bruno Heller, John Milius, David Frankel, William Macdonald, Alexandra Cunningham and Adrian Hodges.

caesar01.jpg

niobe01.jpg

senate01.jpg

I'm really looking forward to this show; it has a lot of promise. Anyone else? Thoughts?

I'm really hoping it's good. I'm worried though that a 2nd period drama (after Deadwood) might be to many for one network.

All I know is, it will be better than Carnivale. It can't be worse. :D

I think this one's going to be pretty good. I was curious to see how they would handle a broader historical narrative, and from first glance, I like how they're drawing some rich contexts around the characters and events. The actors, too, seen well suited for their parts.

Not a bad start so far. Seeing that kid backhand his lady slave servant was certainly an eye catcher heh.

I thought this looked very promising, but I've promised myself I'm not getting involved in any more tv shows. :D

Things are looking great now. It's been a while since I've been anxious to see a TV show, but this one's building up quickly and I'm digging it.

I've been reading "I, Claudius" and this show dovetails with that nicely...

Also, not to be crude... but let's keep up the female nudity, it adds a nice dimension to the story.....

Originally posted by JerryBlunted
Also, not to be crude... but let's keep up the female nudity, it adds a nice dimension to the story.....

Heh, agreed.

GentlemanLoser said:
All I know is, it will be better than Carnivale. It can't be worse. :D

It's less complex than Carnivale, and shows much more tits and ass, so it should hold your attention. ;)

Yeah, let's have a debate about the intellectual content & overall merit of a show about the pre-apocalypse adventures of circus freaks. :D

I'd rather watch the last half of Kill Bill 2 for eternity. ;)

Oh come on, you're saying you can't relate to circus freaks? :D

wow scapegoating the Battle at Pharsalus with History Channel-like swiftness was a bit weak, but the rest of the episode was quite good, and I really liked how Pompey explained the battle to Vorenus. The climax was also well done.

I'm totally addicted to Rome.

The story is great, it is beautifully shot and well acted. And the cast is fucking gorgeous.

You can't tell me this woman is not one of the most beautiful you've ever laid eyes on:

indira_varma_rome.jpg

And thats not even a good photo.

My only complaint is with this past episode, it just felt way too rushed, like they were trying to cram too much story into one episode. Up until now I have felt like it has been exceptionally well paced, really doing a superb job of explaining people's motivations and the cause-and-effects of the historical occurances. The method of telling the story through various men and women of different classes and backgrounds brings a fresh dimension to the history... this series is the anti-Cleopatra-I-Claudius as far as storytelling is concerned.

Yesterday-
I totally agree with you, Indira is breathtaking. Check her out in KamaSutra. Easily one of the most sensual movies ever.

Yeah, wow they found good looking people to be on a television show. Remarkable.

The show isn't bad, especially considering most of the crap on tv. But it doesn't even touch shows like Six Feet Under, Sopranos, The Wire, or Deadwood (never seen Carnivale). The story lines aren't particularly compelling. I think it makes more sense on a channel like Cinemax or Showtime. The sex and nudity, instead of enhancing the show, often detract. And what the hell is up with the british accents? Why does every movie or tv show that tries to represent an ancient civilization insist on using british accents (and colloquialisms)?