Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Heroes

This show is great! My boyfriend rented the first season, and after watching it I totally fell in love!

i liked the 2nd ep it was pretty good... though im looking forward to them developing some of the stories over whole episodes instead of like 5 different stories each getting about 7 minutes of air time

I prefer the long story arcs of the first season.

I was watching those one after another, though. I think im just going to dl heros as they come out, and watch them en masse.

^ haha yeah i watched the 1st half of the season like that.. then the 2nd half I watched as they came out.

Towards the second half is when they spent more time on fewer stories so you felt like they got somewhere in each episode..

i seem to remember people having the freedom to go see what they like and not cry about other people's enjoyment of different types of movies.

^ who says they do not have that freedom? souny's just asking a question...

:)

alasdair

... said:
Wow, I really don't get it. I watched the first two episodes and I wasn't impressed at all. The writing and the acting is terrible.
It took me four or five episodes to get into it. I'm not one for light froth where TV is concerned, but once I let my cynicism drop, I quite enjoyed Hiro's enthusiasm and the wafer-thin interaction.
When is this fucking Super Hero fixation going to end?

From imdb.com: (upcoming Marvel comic adaptations)

Captain America (2009 ...
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009 ...
The Avengers (2009 ...
The Hands of Shang-Chi (2009 ...
Silver Surfer (2009 ...
Spider-Man 4 (2009 ...
Thor (2009 ...
X-Men Origins: Magneto (2009 ...
Punisher: War Zone (2008 ...
The Incredible Hulk (2008 ...
Iron Man (2008 ...
Ant-Man (2008 ...
Iron Fist (2008 ...

13 adaptations of Marvel comics in 2 years?

Isn't everyone getting a little bored with magic powers and battles of good and evil? I seem to remember comics being for kids.
However, this is quite true. As a genre, it got old when the Spiderman series was mercilessly stretched beyond the talents of the actors.

Last edited by a moderator:
alasdairm said:
souny's just asking a question...

No he's not. In most of the threads he has posted in, he's making highly negative opinionated posts about the films in discussion. That's all well and good. But then he makes a comment that basically implies people who enjoy these particular types of movie are children or childish, and thats untrue.

Certain people in this forum have that "Look at me, I just got out of film school" movie snob vibe. Movies are supposed to be entertainment. A lot of people are entertained by superhero films, if you don't like them that's cool, we can certainly discuss that. But try not to be so dismissive.

i see your point jerry, i get realllly annoyed at people who have that vibe. it is pretentious and pathetic. but, souny didn't come off that way to me. though there are two off the top of my head in here i can't even read thanks to that trait!

but to answer your question souny, superheroes are adored and worshipped as kids, why not expect films that appeal to grown up kids to succeed wildly as well?

~my family and i sing the iron man song all the time, and giggle like idiots when we see the previews, and own all the said genre of movies and their sequels and prequels on dvd, so i am a bit biased ;)

... said:
Also, the comment about comic books being for kids - umm, they are for kids, aren't they? That's not meant to be an insult - I've just never seen an adult reading a super hero comic book, so I don't understand why intelligent and perceptive adults who otherwise have good taste in things are so bowled over by a guy who can fly or an invincible woman. They aren't particularly interesting ideas as far as I can see.

i see no problem with grown adults appreciating the philisophical untertones of the average man being able to conquer anything. in fact, i find it quite charming. i would in turn actually be quite alarmed if the people in my life began to act as though they were above such simple films and ideas. why are you so afraid of enjoying such simple pleasures?

DarthMom said:
i see no problem with grown adults appreciating the philisophical untertones of the average man being able to conquer anything.
... said:
I don't see any philosphical undertones.
Nietzsche was all about the Übermensch! :D

Superheroes are the modern secular version of the pantheon of Greek gods. They fill out the basic archetypal patterns that help structure the human dream world. In that respect they are simple.

Sometimes these programs and movies are obviously made for and only enjoyed by children. Other times they are made for a more intermediate audience, and then again other times comic based movies (typically the ones that deviate from the usual superhero stories) are made solely for adults. Examples of the last category are Sin City, Watchmen, etc.

It's perfectly cool not to like something, and if I misinterpreted your criticism apologies on my part. I just don't like the dismissive attitude some people take of a medium as a whole, when that criticism may apply or not apply to various examples of that medium or genre.

holy shit, i spelled philosophy wrong. that annoys me more than anything.

I have yet to see an episode because I don't watch tv anymore. But, I saw the First Season box set marked down to $18.99 at Wal-Mart and snatched it up without any hesitation. Now I have hours and hours of unseen Heroes just waiting to be watched. :)

The first season was awesome I thought, second season was good but not on par with the first. What I've read on the third season sounds like it'll be better than s2 at least. It's an entertaining show, they need to drop the Nikki character though

Well, I've finally seen the first season on DVD. There were plenty of episodes that completely blew me away (Six Months Ago being my favorite).

But there were so many things that bothered me about this show.

1. Niki Sanders - Easily one of the worst characters on the show. I rolled my eyes about a million times over the scenes that involved her talking to her reflection. The little smirks that Jessica would make when Niki saw her just made me cringe. We get it. You're the "bad" twin. Stop hamming that shit up. And last time I checked, having a dead twin fighting for control over your body is not a superpower.

2. Sylar - He started off so promising. A non-stoppable force determined to get his hands on every power out there. Then he was reduced to delivering cheesy lines like "Boom!" when he was on top of the building at the end of one of the last episodes. As if we didn't remember he was planning on blowing up the city, he had to deliver that line to remind you of that fact, just in case you forgot in the last five minutes.

3. The final episode - We go through all of this. The joining of all the heroes, the threat of the bomb and for what? A messy, seemingly thrown together episode that was very anti-climatic. Peter has the power of everyone he comes into contact with. Which means he can fly, like Nathan. Why didn't he just fly to the middle of the desert hours before it was to happen? Seems like the most logical idea to me. But no. He just stands there, getting ready to blow a huge chunk of NY to shit.

That's enough complaining for now. I do love this show and despite what I've heard about the second season, I have high hopes for the third. After all, the writer's stike really didn't give them a chance to get this show back on track.