• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Turns out weed can kill you after all

I'm just gonna add some things to this discussion here...

My dad has a benign arrythmia and was able to smoke weed daily for years without any problems. One time he got high and had an atrial fibrillation, he was taken to the hospital and given some heart pills if he were to have another one. He quit smoking weed for a year and a half and smoked again one time thinking it was unlikely he'd get another fibrillation. Guess what, he did. After that he went off it for good. This to me is what this study kind of shows (although the sample sizes are pretty pathetic). If you have a pre-existing heart condition use of cannabis can lead to complications. Now, benign arrythmias like my dad has are pretty common among the population. However, a lot of people may not know they have one because they've never experienced problems. As a doctor you're not going to make a patient take an ECG unless you have a reason to do so.

If you look at the supplemental data (http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content...DC1/jah3473-sup-0001-SupplementalMaterial.pdf) provided with the original publication you get an overview of the patients who died from cannabis/suffered complications. There were several patients found dead at home or somewhere else and tested positive for cannabinoids. This is hardly indicative that it was the weed that killed them, just a correlation. Some of the cases are more convincing as they died under medical supervision after having recently smoked. Of the ones who died quite a few of them were overweight (BMI >25), which might be an important co-factor. Also most of the ones who supposedly died from cannabis are quoted as "cannabis only" in the medical file. I'll also point out this is a French study and as in most of Europe people will smoke cannabis in a joint mixed with tobacco in France. To my knowledge people who smoke pure in Europe are uncommon. It seems likely to me that these 8 people would've also smoked tobacco joints. With many of the ones suffering heart complications but not death you can see that they are listed as being heavy tobacco users /drinkers /occasional cocaine users, some also had known pre-existing heart conditions or family members who had them.

Let's not forget that while unusual, heart attacks and sudden death events do happen in young people that were otherwise perfectly healthy. All in all, this study tells us very little new information and holds very little power to suggest that cannabis can have a significant effect on cardiovascular health.

This is an insane discussion. Did anybody out there really think that inhaling smoke over the course of twenty to thirty years wouldn't cause health problems. It's stupid to allow the only non-addictive and safe drug that actually does something to be discredited by propaganda. (I'm a heroin addict and I couldn't imagine even an ancient hippie that's been smoking since the dawn of time having the health problems I have, and I'm still sort of young. In years anyway.) By the way does anyone know how many people die each year from bullshit poisoning, I think that's what need's to be looked into.

I didn't want to get back into this, and I'm certainly not going to continue a debate with the OP, but NOBODY EVER said that smoking weed your whole life couldn't cause health problems.

First of all, everyone knows smoking ANYTHING is bad for your lungs, and quite possibly your throat.

The question at hand, (or the one I am proposing at least) is whether or not weed usage can cause heart attacks in otherwise healthy people without them mixing it with other drugs or having previous health conditions either from birth or bad life style choices, obesity and other drugs.

The further question at hand, is whether or not this one study alone, in comparison to thousands of others, which indicates the in 4 years 9 people died and that cannabis was ONE factor involved, but where the participants health background was not fully documented or studied ahead of time, is proof that cannabis ALONE can cause heart attacks in otherwise healthy people.

The question isn't "is weed 100% harmless".

Apparently you weren't reading the discussion very carefully.

I'm just gonna add some things to this discussion here...

My dad has a benign arrythmia and was able to smoke weed daily for years without any problems. One time he got high and had an atrial fibrillation, he was taken to the hospital and given some heart pills if he were to have another one. He quit smoking weed for a year and a half and smoked again one time thinking it was unlikely he'd get another fibrillation. Guess what, he did. After that he went off it for good. This to me is what this study kind of shows (although the sample sizes are pretty pathetic). If you have a pre-existing heart condition use of cannabis can lead to complications. Now, benign arrythmias like my dad has are pretty common among the population. However, a lot of people may not know they have one because they've never experienced problems. As a doctor you're not going to make a patient take an ECG unless you have a reason to do so.

If you look at the supplemental data (http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content...DC1/jah3473-sup-0001-SupplementalMaterial.pdf) provided with the original publication you get an overview of the patients who died from cannabis/suffered complications. There were several patients found dead at home or somewhere else and tested positive for cannabinoids. This is hardly indicative that it was the weed that killed them, just a correlation. Some of the cases are more convincing as they died under medical supervision after having recently smoked. Of the ones who died quite a few of them were overweight (BMI >25), which might be an important co-factor. Also most of the ones who supposedly died from cannabis are quoted as "cannabis only" in the medical file. I'll also point out this is a French study and as in most of Europe people will smoke cannabis in a joint mixed with tobacco in France. To my knowledge people who smoke pure in Europe are uncommon. It seems likely to me that these 8 people would've also smoked tobacco joints. With many of the ones suffering heart complications but not death you can see that they are listed as being heavy tobacco users /drinkers /occasional cocaine users, some also had known pre-existing heart conditions or family members who had them.

Let's not forget that while unusual, heart attacks and sudden death events do happen in young people that were otherwise perfectly healthy. All in all, this study tells us very little new information and holds very little power to suggest that cannabis can have a significant effect on cardiovascular health.

And this sums up EXACTLY what I have been trying to say.

Also, sorry to hear about your father, I hope he's doing better.

No worries! He's fine now, the arrythmia doesn't affect him normally. He just can't smoke weed anymore xD.

people die of old age, some along die from diseases, some along die from suicides, some along die from accidents, humans die.

I already knew weed was bad for ur heart cuz my uncle had a massive heart attack n nearly died he's been smoking weed his whole life n was otherwise healthy n ate healthy wasnt overweight or anything and my dad told me he had to quit smoking weed too after 20 years of smoking it cuz it was messin with his heart and sometimes even when i smoke really good weed it makes my heart beat funny so that dosent suprise me

Well, I sort of figured that, but I'm pretty sure many of the people who suffered from cardiovascular complications had unknown preexisting heart conditions, or possibly had used other recreational substances as well, namely tobacco and caffeine.

I get some crazy-paced heartbeat sometimes when I smoke a serious sativa strain, but when I smoke indicas or indica-dominant hybrids my heart's fine, so I think I'm fine. However, I do have a suspicion that weed making my heart go nuts has a lot to do with the fact that I typically smoke it with tobacco, and my past cocaine use.

Mycophile, your patience and demeanor are to be applauded. Are you a pot smoker by any chance?

The mind boggles at how much time and money was wasted on this 'study'. I presume it was government funded.

Why is it that standard testing procedures and acceptable conclusion thresholds seem to go out the window whenever cannabis is concerned?

Do I think that pot is harmless? Fuck no. But neither is alcohol, caffeine or even driving my car to work. It's called calculated risk. These studies prove nothing and simply give feeble minded politicians (ie. most of them) and ignorant humans some more fodder to regurgitate.

Salutations Rio Fantastic,

Breaking news... ...stop repeating the "nobody dies from weed" line of reasoning...

You're correct, it kills:

Have a reality check, even the fear of it can kill actually!!

33.gif

As a matter of fact, standing in the mere presence of a cop represents a real health risk too and yet we pay those workers to "Serve & Protect" us... Imagine cannabis in your lungs!

Euh...

IMHO, if "Weed Kills!" happens to comfort anyone then perhaps the problem ain't what it seems to be...

Education might help here but i don't see it coming.

=D

i have always get panic attack and hearbeat like crazy when i smoke cannabis, its the one the common drug i dislike most

It's probably already been mentioned, but it did say in the article that the research isn't conclusive, so nothing's been proven.
I'm not an expert but I'm at least 99.9% sure that smoking anything, especially if you smoke heavily over a long period of time, is going to have negative effects on your heart. Weed doesn't get excluded just because it's all-natural and makes you feel good.
You don't really need any studies for that these days...it's just common sense.

i have always get panic attack and hearbeat like crazy when i smoke cannabis, its the one the common drug i dislike most
yeah, but elevated heart beat caused by anxiety isn't dangerous for an average healthy person.

Cannabis has been known to do this for a very long time and considering how many people smoke on a regular basis, it's pretty reasonable to say it's begnin for healthy individuals. Of course this might be a problem for someone with a preexisting heart condition, but hey, those people shouldn't smoke, eat shitty food, drink coffee and exercise too hard as well. I don't think smoking weed is more of a risk than exercising hard for that matter.

Can't find the link but elsewhere on BL it was discussed that due to weed largely being unregulated you can't really be sure whether or not nasty pesticides have been used at any point before it reaches you, another possible factor to consider

Ill say it again, just because your 'only smoking pot' doesn't make up for the mass amounts of transfats you injest on you munchie binges..
Anything can kill you.. fools.

As for me, I am not convinced. You want to rag on weed? how bout the complications caused by a daily caffeine habit..

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,but rather skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke,thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and loudly proclaiming"Wow! what a ride!"
- Hunter S. Thompson