• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Turning Flower into Solventless FULL MELT HASH in 5 minutes (video tutorial)

DaDankyDank

Bluelighter
Hey guys a week or so ago I made a thread about rosin tech. Tonight I edited up a 2 minute video showing the full tech and the end result of how it looks and melts on a nail. ALL CREDIT TO SOILGROWN FOR THIS TECH.

This is probably the easiest way to procure yourself some solventless full melt in just a few minutes. If you live in a nonmedical state and don't have access to clean oils, this is the way to go. This is way better than any unvacced oil and is much safer as it requires NO SOLVENTS. Stop your open blasting and try this. All you need is a hair straightner, a few buds, and some parchment and you're on your way to some fire dabs! THIS TECH SCREAMS HARM REDUCTION! #BudSquishers

Here's an example of yields, which really varies on strain as well as the individual press

BTR5biE.png

Last edited:
This is awesome, I'll have to try it next time I pick up more then just a few dubes.

That's some super ghetto oil, but looks nice. That would be something sweet to have set up next to a dab set as a quick extractor to extract any bud.... It just seems that one would lose tons of terpenes and whatnot due to heat breaking it down.

^^it's actually not that hot so I've heard it works pretty well at preserving the flavor of the flower.

It's interesting, I kinda want to try just for shits and giggles.

#hobodabs

I will admit that the flavor isn't as on point as other extraction methods, but it does have its own unique earthy taste like Felonious is saying. The potency is CERTAINLY there. I don't know if anyone here has had the chance to smoke the "clear raw" from the company Clear Concentrates which is steam distilled and has NO flavor (they also have another product where the reintroduce terpenes back into their product) but it's certainly more tasty than that. I just figured I'd post this up because there's probably a lot of people here who want to smoke oil but don't have access so this really gives everyone an opportunity to whip some up with minimal product and equipment. It's certainly fun to fool around and play with different strains and see what you can get. It's all about that trial and error and seeing what's possible

#teamhobodabs

seems kinda cool, but idk if I'd try it myself. around where I live I can get a gram of oil for not a whole lot more than a gram of bud. No way you are getting all the thc out of the buds- so what do you do with the waste product? I guess if I didn't have any access to oil I might give it a try, much simpler than butane extraction but I think butane extraction would be much more thorough.

seems kinda cool, but idk if I'd try it myself. around where I live I can get a gram of oil for not a whole lot more than a gram of bud. No way you are getting all the thc out of the buds- so what do you do with the waste product? I guess if I didn't have any access to oil I might give it a try, much simpler than butane extraction but I think butane extraction would be much more thorough.

I think the best route for the waste product would be to make some edibles. I haven't smoked the waste product, but people I know have tried and they compare it to trying to smoke ABV which is pretty gross lol. I agree there's probably residuals left over, but looking at the yields they're pretty close to using a solvent based extraction. Some of the weight could be attributed to things like the moisture that was in the bud that would normally get purged off in a solvent extract, but it's hard to really know without sending it to a lab. And for as far as prices of a gram of oil vs flower being the same that's insane!

My thoughts on the flavor preservation exist as it would be nice to try this with sunset sherbet. I would like a steam distilled version of that strain from a good sherb batch.

I think the best route for the waste product would be to make some edibles. I haven't smoked the waste product, but people I know have tried and they compare it to trying to smoke ABV which is pretty gross lol. I agree there's probably residuals left over, but looking at the yields they're pretty close to using a solvent based extraction. Some of the weight could be attributed to things like the moisture that was in the bud that would normally get purged off in a solvent extract, but it's hard to really know without sending it to a lab. And for as far as prices of a gram of oil vs flower being the same that's insane!

sorry what's ABV? I guess if you make edibles with the waste product then it would be pretty efficient use of the buds. Still tho, I don't think it can compare to some high grade shatter or terp oil. Ya the percentages of the yield are the same in terms of weight, but I'd like to see a comparison of potency. My guess is that the hot plate oil will have a much lower thc content. From what I understand, there are people using lab grade closed-loop systems, involving processes of freezing below subzero temperatures and multiple filtration processes, then followed by vacuum oven. The filtration process that takes place at subzero temps causes much of the fats and lipids to clump up together allowing them to be filtered out of the oil. These extraction processes leave very little THC behind in the waste product, so therefore my guess would be that the THC to weight ratio would be much more favorable in the closed loop oil.

I would bet that the hot plate oil is tasty as oil gets tho.

EDIT: Also, expensive closed loop systems are not the only way to filter out fats and lips. The process of winterization, or Absolute shatter will also do this to a lesser degree, of course.

@mafioso abv or avb is short for "already been vaporized bud" or "already vaporized bud".

anybody know if this actually works?

Yes, and about a month ago it came in 2nd place (Rogee Concentrates) at a cup in the solventless category so it's certainly becoming more mainstream. It placed better than other IWE live resins so I wouldn't knock it. Horacio Delbert, the guy discovered LHO (limonene hash oil) and the 7* melt is the one who judged it and is talking about it in the link and time I provided below.

Proof in today of this weeks episode of Hash Church at around 1:32:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XiEfAw9zR0

Last edited:
THIS TECH SCREAMS HARM REDUCTION!
I have to agree with you here. Even though BHO has been mostly blamed for the safety and environmental issues, ISO and other flammable solvents can be just as dangerous if not used properly.

I really can't think of an easier tech for someone with little to no experience with making oil. This stuff is dab worthy too! I've seen plenty of ISO and BHO hash that I can't say the same for.

This really intrigued me and seemed familar, so I started looking through my old textbooks, and it is likely a process called 'steam distillation of essential oils from plant material'. The application of pressure, heat and water to disrupt the cellular matrix of plant materiakls to force distill the oils out.

A couple of things, and then the real good point at the end :)

1) It probably wouldn't work on really dry weed because I think you would need the remaining moisture inherent in the plant material to help with the distillation. However, rehydrating weed is sort of possible by putting the dry weed in a sealed mason jar with fresh orange peel. This might work.

2) I'm not going to bet the farm on it, but I think you're getting local condensation of the oils on the parchment paper.

3) There is absolutely no reason why this can not be scaled up in size/scope. All you would need is a dual sided, flat surfaced contact grill with variable temperature control such as the Breville Smart grill; although I am sure there are suitable others. In other words, it should be possible to process say an ounce at once. I don't think that ribbed grills would work as efficiently because I imagine that you would need a flat contact surface (maximum surface area contact) so that all the weed could come into contact with the hot plates at once. Still, I think you would get some extraction. Worse case scenario is that you might have to press your weed more than if you had flat contact surfaces.

Food for thought if anyone is up for an experiment.

Tom

This really intrigued me and seemed familar, so I started looking through my old textbooks, and it is likely a process called 'steam distillation of essential oils from plant material'. The application of pressure, heat and water to disrupt the cellular matrix of plant materiakls to force distill the oils out.

A couple of things, and then the real good point at the end :)

1) It probably wouldn't work on really dry weed because I think you would need the remaining moisture inherent in the plant material to help with the distillation. However, rehydrating weed is sort of possible by putting the dry weed in a sealed mason jar with fresh orange peel. This might work.

2) I'm not going to bet the farm on it, but I think you're getting local condensation of the oils on the parchment paper.

3) There is absolutely no reason why this can not be scaled up in size/scope. All you would need is a dual sided, flat surfaced contact grill with variable temperature control such as the Breville Smart grill; although I am sure there are suitable others. In other words, it should be possible to process say an ounce at once. I don't think that ribbed grills would work as efficiently because I imagine that you would need a flat contact surface (maximum surface area contact) so that all the weed could come into contact with the hot plates at once. Still, I think you would get some extraction. Worse case scenario is that you might have to press your weed more than if you had flat contact surfaces.

Food for thought if anyone is up for an experiment.

Tom

I agree, I'm not a science guy but I think there needs to be moisture content to act as a vessel to help carry the oils out of the plant. Also with bone dry weed, as soon as it gets pressed it usually crumbles into dust and heavily contaminates your end product (learned the hard way lol.)

As far as the grill, that's something I haven't heard yet and sounds like it has some potential. I know for bigger runs now, people have switched over to silkscreen / T-shirt presses after they remove the silicone coating on the plates which allows you to press more material than normal.

It's also critical that you break your nugs down into .1-.25 gram pieces because it allows more surface area and gives you a better yield, even though it's more tedious and takes more time to press more material it's worth it IMO.

I've heard a couple times now this method is actually quite effective for further refining of keif/lower grade bubble/drysift.

I know stream distilled is actually being used a lot now in live resin products..... Possibly the plant has enough material to carry the cannabinoids through? I know one other key part of it to that's supposed to be more trade secret that I don't even really know.

I remember a gw patent I came across about fractioning column or something to separate the different cannabinoids allowing one to get say cbg or thcv separate from one another and the other cannabinoids. Too lazy to find it though.

Those are actually 2 different things. Live Resin is generally BHO, it's just processed with fresh buds instead of dried and/or cured. Steam distillation is a secondary process that can be done to any oil (but generally not Live Resin, as it's good as is, more often CO2, regular BHO, or even ethanol-extracted)--it's the process of turning it into a solventless goo (like Clear Concentrate or any number of similar products).

Fractionation columns are something else, generally used with CO2 extractions to be able to do just what you said. I've never seen one running but there's very cool things that can potentially be done (requires a tad more chemistry understanding than your run of the mill "extraction artist" can muster, and they're pretty expensive). People are creating custom terpene blends now (not originating from cannabis) and adding it into those steam distilled oils (either copying a cannabis strain, like Jack Herer, or making it into a recognizable scent, like "Pink Lemonade")

People are creating custom terpene blends now (not originating from cannabis) and adding it into those steam distilled oils (either copying a cannabis strain, like Jack Herer, or making it into a recognizable scent, like "Pink Lemonade")

That's fucking crazy, I haven't heard taking terpenes from other things besides cannabis and adding them back in but I believe it. If you follow Tony Verzura or Horatio Delbert they're doing some crazy terpene preservation work. Bless those chemistry and science goons who are taking the industry to the next level, we need people like that. Less broscience and more concrete knowledge and chemistry.

And with that it's time to watch todays new episode of hash church

Soilgrown played around with different temps and compiled a list of yields of the same strain (Wifi OG) at different temperatures. Figured I'd share it with you guys so you know what to expect if you do play around with this.

ywS10gL.png