• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Treating opiate cravings with suboxone?

Missykins said:
Narcan is the same as naloxone which is an injectable opioid antagonist useful in treating an overdose. Naloxone is also in Suboxone, but has poor sublingual absorption. However, if you shoot up Suboxone, the naloxone part of the drug works to prevent buprenorphine from binding to the receptor and causing a high or overdose.

You may have meant naltrexone which is an opiate antagonist that is taken orally. It does not work to decrease cravings but will block any (most) opiates from binding to the receptor. Naltrexone does seem to help with alcohol cravings and is used that way medically.

There is a ton of info on Suboxone elsewhere in this forum.

I think your suggestion to engage in activity that releases natural endorphins (such as sex) is a great idea.

Oh yea, I think your right. Endorphins are released by alcoholics when they have a drink. The body sort of rewards them. I'm not sure if this applies to opiates though.

But yea, theirs tons of ways to release endorphins. Sex/masturbation, sunbathing, acupuncture and massage, spicy and sweet foods, etc. I bet if you google it, you can find a whole bunch of methods.

sonic said:
I chose to go on suboxone mainly for financial reasons. It also helps that it's legal and easy to get. I just got tired of having to pay a ridiculous amount to stay high and I was tired of getting inconsistent "hookups" from various sources. Ever since I've been on suboxone my life has been easier and less stressful because I don't have to worry about getting high anymore.
I DO get enjoyable effects from suboxone. I consider the effects to be mainly therapeutic. Sub helps me a lot with anxiety and depression. I must admit I do sometimes feel "high" when I'm on suboxone, but I don't think it's such a terrible thing. I don't abuse the medication, that's not the way I see it at least. I do snort some of my sub, but that's just to get an increase in bio-availability and to increase peak plasma concentrations. I might also take a little more sub than what I absolutely need, but my doctor doesn't have a problem prescribing me a high dose.
Eventually I need to start tapering off this stuff, but for now I'm just glad I don't have to worry about chasing a high I can't sustain. I highly recommend suboxone to anyone who uses opiates daily. If you don't use it daily, I don't know if it'd be the best idea for you to attempt to use sub. I think it's almost as easy to get addicted to suboxone as it is to any full agonist opioid.
Most doctors probably WON'T prescribe you sub if you come to them saying you're just looking for something to take occasionally when you get cravings. That's not to say that 100% of doctors won't. It does seem that it can be used for other purposes, but good luck trying to find a doctor who will prescribe you sub for occasional use.
Great post man :D

I don't abuse the medication, that's not the way I see it at least[ I do snort some of my sub, but that's just to get an increase in bio-availability and to increase peak plasma concentrations. I might also take a little more sub than what I absolutely need, but my doctor doesn't have a problem prescribing me a high dose.

LOL. Sonic, compare what you said in the bold text to the underlined text. You simply contradict yourself.

Abuse is taking any medication in any fashion than the doctor prescribes. If you disagree, then disagree with the DSM IV.

Kerplunk.

Last edited:
^ Taking a medication different than the doctor prescribes is misuse. Taking it to get fucked up is abuse.

Well what did he say? To increase plasma levels. Use your fucking head.

^ I didn't read his post, I only read yours. Lose the attitude.

center said:
Well what did he say? To increase plasma levels. Use your fucking head.

Just because I agree with your response to Sonic doesn't mean that I can't remind you to BE POLITE (emphasis mine).

Missykins said:
Great. No wonder why public assistance programs don't work. What's wrong with doing what they ask?

I just suggested the idea to him because he works and I guess he realllly didn't wanna take 2 weeks off to go to a detox center, he wanted to stop using.. even if it was just a break.. I guess I thought my idea would help

center said:
LOL. Sonic, compare what you said in the bold text to the underlined text. You simply contradict yourself.

Abuse is taking any medication in any fashion than the doctor prescribes. If you disagree, then disagree with the DSM IV.

Kerplunk.

Don't worry, I'm fully aware of where I'm at with my addiction. I'm not in denial in the least bit. I just like to snort things, and I seem to get a lot more out of snorting suboxone compared to sublingual administration.
Call it abuse if you must, I really don't care what it is. It's working for me.