• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Treating opiate cravings with suboxone?

flatlyne

Bluelighter
I am currently looking for a doctor that can perscibe me suboxone, not because I need relief for the withdrawals. but because i have the most intese cravings for oxycodone. Will the Doc still perscribe me suboxone even though I do not experience opiate withrawal?

you DO NOT need suboxone or any other type of maintenance program. there is no doctor that will disagree with me, so don't waste your time.

what you need is some therapy or NA/AA meetings [if that's your thing]. the physical withdrawal of opiates is a whole new level of pain/cravings, which is why there is such a low success rate of getting clean from opiates for good. hence the reason suboxone, methadone, naltrexone maintenance programs are in existence. not because people are psychologically addicted. thus the reason there are no cocaine or marijuana maintenance programs.

As mentioned, a Doctor won't prescribe Suboxone for cravings. Help groups like pinpoint mentioned may help.

genericmind is right. and to quote another thread (in my own words, im lazy)...doing such would be filling a spot that could be taken by a geuinely addicted individual who desires with all of his or her heart to turn their life around; to have a cushion so to speak to fall onto, versues a concrete floor. i'm not flaming you; its a legitimate question. but bottom line, if you were honest of your intentions, nobody would script.

^Actually, you're incorrect.

Suboxone is indicated (and I mean that in the same way the FDA does=approved) and routinely prescribed for the treatment of cravings typically associated with opiate addiction. Its use is not limited to detox/withdrawal.

Go to www.suboxone.com for more information and to find a doctor.

I would like to add that Suboxone is not a panacea, but should be part of a larger treatment program which often involves self-help/fellowship meetings such as AA/NA.

Take care, OP.

Maybe I'm wrong. I was just going by personal observation and what the FDA website says:

"Subutex and Suboxone treat opiate addiction by preventing symptoms of withdrawal from heroin and other opiates."

i stand corrected :)

however, please don't become scripted for this unless it really gets to you, or in your search for a dr you didnt hear of any full patient loads (meaning its not a fight to get into a clinic in your area)

I am.... that's pretty much the only reason I'm prescribed right now

that's outrageous. When the time comes that you don't want to be tied down to this drug that get's exponentially more expensive the shittier your insurance is or gets (like mine), you're going to be in a far worse place than you were in the first place.

i take it every day, but the motherfuckers cost me $600 a month.

i also wanted to add that when i started taking it i needed it for withdrawals and it only cost me $35 a month for my script. that's changed since then.

nope... I went to my doctor out of detox so technically my withdrawing phase was over

there's a program I've heard of where it's 5 bucks a week for a weeks supply 8mg/day but you have to go every tuesday or maybe it was wednesday to a group meeting and then a meeting with the doctor

Blondie said:
nope... I went to my doctor out of detox so technically my withdrawing phase was over

Well yeah, a lot of people get into a Suboxone Program after they get out of Detox. I was thinking more along the lines of getting it without ever going to Detox.

i've been browsing around for a county run buprenorphine clinic, and patients assistance places and seeking assistance from the manufacturer. With any luck at all i won't be paying that much for too long.

well you could just lie, cause they have no way of knowing if u really went or not.. that's how i got my friend to do it as well

See my thread in basic drug discussion if you'd like to add something guys. Thanks.

So when the suboxone is prescribed for cravings, does it help by getting you high (and thus, fulfilling your need for drugs) or does it help the cravings through another mechanism? Perhaps do to with the receptors/transmitters it stimulates? An example of this is when stimulant addicts are prescribed nortyptyline.

I really would like some help to clarify all this.

I've heard of people getting "high" off suboxone.. I never have... I think for me I know I can't get high even if I tried because it has the opiate blocker so I pretty much don't even bother thinking about it