• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Transitioning into full adulthood and continuing psychedelic drug use.

I tripped a lot until about 25, over indulged messed up a bit and stopped having fun. Decided to 'grow-up' and stopped all drugs. I had about 8 years off psychedelics, got a degree a house and a decent job.

I don't think I could have done those things and still taken drugs, but mostly because I had a bad relationship with them.

I think my bad experiences were caused by life anxieties and lack of control.

Since sorting my life out I've returned to psychedelic use, listening to my body and mind for when they want to do them (which isn't very often at all). When the mood and opportunity presented itself I'm often alone and have had some amazingly inciteful experiences.

Am 37 now and can't see me stopping - but I don't do anything for the sake of doing it so I could see the gaps inbetween getting bigger.

Whether to use these kinds of drugs or not isn't a hard and final decision you ever have to make... If youre not enjoying it or have too much on in your life right now and find it beneficial to stop, you should :)

When the time is right and if you find yourself wanting to do them you can always start taking them again - whether 28 or 88 :)

It can be done, if done so wisely. I am over 40, went to under-grad and graduate schools, and have worked at the same place for over 20 years. When I was in my late teens thru early 20s, I was in love with LSD. So much so that I really over did it and had to quit, and did so for over a decade. Well, enter the rather easy availability of L via, well, you know how/where, and I acquired some incredibly HQ LSD, ALD-52, AL-LAD, etc., and when the time is right, I use psychs sparingly when it makes sense. It certainly takes more time to get back to baseline after doing so, but again, when done with care, responsibility, and for the right reasons, you can have your occasions with such things. Again...it is all about being wise and not over-doing it. Also, using psychedelics as a tool, which I try to do, is easier now than it was when I was younger and simply wanted to rocket myself in oblivion, which was common back then. Handle with care, and use your head as you proceed, and things can be just fine.

I'm 34, and I trip regularly, moderate a forum about psychedelics, and I have a handful of close friends I trip with to this day, in fact I have more people to trip with now than I ever did when I was younger (back then my friends who did it did it only once in a while and just liked the pretty colors and didn't get into the deeper aspects). I go out to shows and meet people in their 40s, 50s and even 60s who are still tripping. Of course I live in a pretty fucking cool place... it's a big part of why I moved here. And the friends I trip with, I met originally on Bluelight. Ever go to a music festival? You'll meet lots of trippy adults at those.

In any case, plenty of adults exist who trip. In my opinion, it's far more appropriate for adults to be tripping than kids.

And by the way, I have a career job, I'm a computer programmer, I make a salary, I own my home, and I have investments, a bunch of adult shit. You don't have to become dull when you "grow up", and you don't have to quit doing psychedelics to be responsible. In my opinion and in my experience, maintaining a connection to your inner child, remaining childlike in certain ways, is extremely important to fulfillment and remaining young and agile. You can be mature but still feel like a big kid, but I don't think a lot of people know that. Psychedelics have helped me to realize it, and they help me to maintain it, too.

I agree

to be responsible as you get older but maintain that deep inner connection is essential to staying young in the brain

essential

the friends i have who dont but only drink booze i can see them getting more set in their ways and less open to new things as time goes by and frankly its not for me to become closed off and set and boring and rigid

i like meeting new people developing new skills and going into my brain and tinkering when i feel like it.

although psych's are more easy to integrate i find as i get older

Don't let the world and its isms effect your viewpoint. Your you and should do what you want in life. If its not negatively impacting your life and you like it why would you let societal beliefs scare you? Part of being an adult(really just a person too..)is coming into to yourself. If you just adopt views of a regurgitated thoughtless society then you'll stop evolving. Somethings denoted by societal thought are obviously correct. You definitely shouldn't be hurting anyone else but for the most part that's about it except things pertaining to that sort of stuff. Good and bad like most everything is just subjective so you must figure out what those things are yourself. Why cut yourself short and thoughtlessly adopt a view a thoughtless society made when you can ponder and ordain your own truth and meaning to things? IMO if you don't do that you'll just be apart of the problem and not the solution. Society has many archaic thoughts and feelings on things that are clearly not worth a damn to any intelligent person. Much of it holds humanity back and persecutes people who do nothing wrong based on recycled old school thoughts and fear... I'm sure you don't want to be apart of that. Besides IMO life is worthless unless you make it worthwhile by ascribing your own meanings and truths to it....!

Don't let the world and its isms effect your viewpoint. Your you and should do what you want in life. If its not negatively impacting your life and you like it why would you let societal beliefs scare you? Part of being an adult(really just a person too..)is coming into to yourself. If you just adopt views of a regurgitated thoughtless society then you'll stop evolving. Somethings denoted by societal thought are obviously correct. You definitely shouldn't be hurting anyone else but for the most part that's about it except things pertaining to that sort of stuff. Good and bad like most everything is just subjective so you must figure out what those things are yourself. Why cut yourself short and thoughtlessly adopt a view a thoughtless society made when you can ponder and ordain your own truth and meaning to things? IMO if you don't do that you'll just be apart of the problem and not the solution. Society has many archaic thoughts and feelings on things that are clearly not worth a damn to any intelligent person. Much of it holds humanity back and persecutes people who do nothing wrong based on recycled old school thoughts and fear... I'm sure you don't want to be apart of that. Besides IMO life is worthless unless you make it worthwhile by ascribing your own meanings and truths to it....!

I agree and disagree with you somewhat, in that, I believe that there are universal truths and feeling the subjective nature of everything is only a illusion created by your subconscious to standardize one's decisions. For example, everyone should have life liberty and pursue happiness. No one has the right to harm another. These are examples of Universal Truths, what westerners schooled in Judeochristian values call the Golden Rule.

While there are many parts of everyday society that are indeed wrong, misguided and thoughtless, these are not subjective ideas to the universe as a whole in my opinion. We, I think were put here to learn these truths, teach them, and love each other as their own family as well as perfecting a balanced inner world, society, planet and universe.

Now, this is only one mans opinion, but Psychedelic drugs have shown me that there is universal truth in everything, and growing as a person is not only the domestic aspects of being a useful member of society and one's family (paying bills, supporting your children etc), but also increasing one's own awareness of one's inner world spiritually and psychologically. And if you do not wish to be a part of certain societal archetypes, by all means, find that out for your self, but remember that in so doing, the universal truths of good and evil (doing harm to others vs helping others) should always be considered.

Society gets caught up (and many people in a lot of my circles) in labeling certain activities such as psychedelic drug use, homosexuality, lifestyle choices, or even practicing hunting, shooting sports, and organized religion as wrong or harmful. These are subjective to the person according to their worldview, and in no way are actually wrong in the sense of universal truth, rather, misguided notions of one's own superiority over anothers'. We are all guilty to some extent! I love meat... I think vegans are weirdos! case and point :)

Short Answer: If you are responsible, have your shit together, know what you want out of life, and want to learn more about your self, trip away!

Haha I assumed that was obvious. What I have is my morality. Its specific to me and to others is probably subjective to others. Just because something is subjective does not mean its not worthwhile. The real truth is those universal truths are subjective. Not to me but to psychopaths and sociopaths alike. They murder and hurt callously. Do think they believe your truths? Probably not. Their your truths not everyone. You can call "universal" and hope people will follow them and you'd assume everyone would just naturally follow them but nah not everyone will.

Can you see what I mean? I follow the Buddhist path. I love all life. I respect all life. I try to help whenever I can so much so that it can be detrimental and harmful to myself. I live in the moment with the people I love or will possibly love in the future. I judge no one. I can not like what they do but its on them not me. I just throw it out there hoping to hook them and help them if I can but I don't get too attached or caught up. I'm interested in what I'm doing not what other harmful people. I distance myself from those stuck in what I call harmful cycles after I try to help. I try to teach the "misguided" but I know people do what they want. We all think separately. Never think you can coral people into your own truths. The universe IMO is the surveyor of all things. It holds the threads that interconnect us all. It is not malevolent or benevolent. Those truths are yours. Its just obvious others will align with obvious standard human processes that most won't be involved in. The universe has no involvement in it. This is your life. Not the universes. You ascribe your own feelings and beliefs to it. Not the other way around IMO.

Very interesting indeed, id like add more but im working, would like to say I understand what you are saying.

I think maybe its a fundamental disagreement on life/God/ and our purpose as human beings.

This is devolving from ones ability to be a reaponsible adult and use Psychedelics though! Lol

I know perfectly what you mean. I am 30 years old, I started taking psychedelics with my friends from school when I lived with my parents, and I take them now with my beautiful wife.

Curiously, my anxiety has been stronger in recent years. Before making a psychedelic trip I self-analyze in excess, many times I have the feeling that it is never the perfect moment. I do not even know why I think there should be a perfect moment. It's strange. My wife tries to relax me and we finally travel together, but sometimes it is difficult for me to face that feeling of anxiety.
Apart from that, I enjoy a lot of my trips.

When I was younger I took MDMA and stimulants, but I got depressed for a while for abusing them. Later I began to study what drugs were; his families, pharmacology, the RC world ... in short, I did not want to repeat the mistakes of the past. I wanted to know what I was doing.
8 years ago I met my wife, at that moment after 4 years of abstinence we took an MDMA trip, she was her first time with a drug. It was incredible.

Now we travel when we can and we want. 6-apb, 4-ho-met and al-lad has blown our minds in many ways lol.
We have talked many times about all this. When we are traveling we look into each other's eyes and admire what drugs offer us.

We have to learn to live with this secret.

DocLad

Last edited:
One thing not mentioned is when you are an adult people will rely on you...your spouse your kids your old parents...when you have a felony for psychedelic drugs it complicates life and career greatly. It's sad but that the way the western world is.

So the moral consideration is not doing drugs in a vacuum, it's whether it's moral to risk the dependency of loved one upon you to get high.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar position to you (OP) in ways although I will continue to trip but only when its appropriate. I also know of plenty adults much much older than me who trip regularly, some with kids who unsurprisingly.. are great parents. Tripping with various substances at varying doses in different settings with different intentions, it can be used in endless ways for a lot of reasons. Always more to learn I say!

I never even drank alcohol until after my first psychedelic experience at almost 30, after which I pretty much immediately became a hardcore psychonaut and recreational drug user. It's not that I thought drugs were bad, and my favorite music and movies and stuff always tended toward psychedelia, but I guess I just never knew where to look for drugs or something--I can't really remember much about the old me heh.

Anyway, now that I've blossomed I have no intention of ever stopping, and if anyone or anything ever pressures me to do so I'll tell them to fuck right off. It's my brain to play with as I see fit.

One thing not mentioned is when you are an adult people will rely on you...your spouse your kids your old parents...when you have a felony for psychedelic drugs it complicates life and career greatly. It's sad but that the way the western world is.

So the moral consideration is not doing drugs in a vacuum, it's whether it's moral to risk the dependency of loved one upon you to get high.

Unfortunately this is a sad truth.
I have (psychedelic related) convictions from my careless youth which have affected my career path. While others were laughing at the profs "you should ALL apply unless you've got a record" I was wondering wtf I was gonna do after graduation. But Im making it work...

As to using substances now, I use them more sparingly but spend more time integrating the experience during the time in between. However, given my priors Im much cautious these days, most of my trips are within the comfort of my home/space or I dose appropriately if I know Ill be out in public

Sometimes I feel embarrassed and away from society when I want to share my experiences with people. People react badly and feel rejected towards me. It is as if we are speaking at a different level because we have different ideas about drugs and what they can contribute to our lives.

I take psychedelics twice a year, many people get drunk every weekend and smoke a box of cigarettes every day, even so, the junkie is me.
General ignorance degrades me and I do not want others to have the wrong idea of ​​who I'm or what I am doing.

The line that separates the legal from the illegal confuses people about the true nature of drugs. This is an insult to science and to Humanity, since it is not based on the study of substances and their effects on the body. Clearly I see great global interest for this to continue to be the case, both economic and control, but this is another story.

Even though I know all this, sometimes I can't help feeling guilty for taking drugs even if I do it in a conscious and responsible way. This gap with other people makes me sad and many times they leave me in a bad social position. I don't know if the same thing happens to someone else.

I would like to share with people freely something that has changed my life for the better, but I feel judged and misunderstood.

It's a shame.

DocLad

Last edited:
^^ I used to feel this way too. I joined Bluelight and found a lot of other people who felt the same way as me, and I was able to share my experiences and discuss with like-minded people which helped me a lot. Then after a while I moved somewhere else, and I realized I just didn't have the right people around me. Nowadays I have a bunch of friends to trip with, and I meet other trippers all the time, we're a bunch of adults who still know how to have fun and be silly and open to new experiences. We're out there, man, you just have to look. :) And in the meantime, Bluelight is really helpful, it can help you to not feel so alone. <3

I'm in my early 40s, still tripping. I remember getting into my early 20s and a lot of my friends were saying things like how they had "outgrown" acid. I've always doubted the view that psychedelics are like some kind of toy that you outgrow - I think these people just are justifying their own decisions in a self-congratulatory kind of way. Or maybe it's because they were treating psychedelics as a kind of eye-candy toy in the first place, and they really did outgrow that kind of usage.

For sure it's not for everyone, but the psychedelic well goes deep and I imagine that I will drink from it for many years to come.

There are many senior citizens who continue to trip and live long and fulfilling lives, often partially thanks to the self-guidance found in psychedelics.

Finally I landed in Bluelight because I was looking for people with whom I could share all this. I guess it's part of my own maturity process to know where I can fit in and where I can not. Drugs are a very sensitive issue that deserves special care when it comes to commenting on one's own experiences.

Here it is more difficult to be judged in an incorrect way.

DocLad