• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Tramadol

I got prescribed some and took 300mg one evening. They made me dizzy and nauseous right through until the next evening. It's a horrible drug for recreational purposes!

I find in reasonably low doses it works well as a painkiller & gives a general mood lift. I'm not really trying to get out my face on it.

I got prescribed some and took 300mg one evening. They made me dizzy and nauseous right through until the next evening. It's a horrible drug for recreational purposes!

If you ever come across it again and have to use it as a "last resort", take 50mg every hour or so. Should result in a much smoother and pleasant experience :)

I find if you eat something small (preferably not a piece of your own tongue, haw haw haw) - even a piece of toast or two - with each dose the nausea is much reduced. Or smoke loads of weed. But that isn't always an option.

I never get any nausea on any opies and tramadol is no different. I will definitely second Monsta's recommendation of staggered dosing though - one-off large doses tend to be more speedy and not to all tastes at all but if you stick to 50-100mg doses and stagger them till you get where you want to be it's much more like a "traditional" opiate.

Doesn't it also work better if you have some already in your system? Another reason to stagger doses?

According to what I've read that is indeed the case, Jan. Dunno how or why that works but that's the way it is apparently.

^ Yea ditto.
It's something to do with the levels of O-Desmethyl-Tramadol rising steadily and the continued serum levels that this staggered dosing creates.

Open the capsules up and snort it. Its like a breath of fresh air, quite refreshing with a cup of tea!

Erm... no. For a start it's a prodrug so no use for snorting even if it didn't hurt like fuck.

My happy dose seems to have settled down to 300-400mg daily now. Usual problems of it being such a feckin' arseache needing to taper and/or skip days to use many other Goodies aside, I find the itchiness quite noticeable and irritating when I go past around 250mg. Might invest in an antihistamine when I go into town in a bit. They are so bloody pricey at my local chemist though - even just the generic, own-brand stuff :\

Other thing that is really pissing me off in this range is the jaw tension. Is playing havoc with my (already fucked) teeth and often end up with a bastard of a headache by the end of the day. Think I might just give magnesium a shot to see if that helps with the tension cos it's really quite uncomfortable. Never get it below 300mg but around 350mg seems to be my optimal dose for the effects I need it for (primarily the antidepressant action but the slight energy and analgesia boosts are also welcome).

Anyone else get similar issues with tram? And if so any other suggestions to get the annoying side-effects to go "Poof!" in a cloud of smoke?

Asda pharmacy do Chlorphenamine for under a quid, if you need a cheap antihistamine. I think you get about 30, as well.

The only problem with that is that it's also an SNRI (Chlorpheniramine) but I do take them with my Dosulepin (SNRI too), but I've cut back down to 75mg due to starting it again otherwise I'm knocked out for the whole day n sleep for about the same amount of time :|

So yea, I'm unsure how the dose of Chlorphen would interact with that dose of Tramadol...
Not exactly sure how much affinity each of them has with regards to their SNRI properties.
Just play it safe I guess :)

If only you could get Cetirizine or Loratidine in large amounts for cheap instead of 14 for ~£3 or whatever it is!

My happy dose seems to have settled down to 300-400mg daily now. Usual problems of it being such a feckin' arseache needing to taper and/or skip days to use many other Goodies aside, I find the itchiness quite noticeable and irritating when I go past around 250mg. Might invest in an antihistamine when I go into town in a bit. They are so bloody pricey at my local chemist though - even just the generic, own-brand stuff :\

Other thing that is really pissing me off in this range is the jaw tension. Is playing havoc with my (already fucked) teeth and often end up with a bastard of a headache by the end of the day. Think I might just give magnesium a shot to see if that helps with the tension cos it's really quite uncomfortable. Never get it below 300mg but around 350mg seems to be my optimal dose for the effects I need it for (primarily the antidepressant action but the slight energy and analgesia boosts are also welcome).

Anyone else get similar issues with tram? And if so any other suggestions to get the annoying side-effects to go "Poof!" in a cloud of smoke?

I don't find it a very effective anti-depressant because it doesn't trigger a very even release of serotonin, which is why I think you need to take such a high staggered dose? Even when I took a gram with 4 MSTs over the space of 16 hours I was up and down like a yo-yo. When you don't take it do you get phantom pains convincing you that you should take it? Like leg aches and stuff like that?

^ A gramme over 24 hours?!? 8o

That would be 2.5X the maximum "safe" daily dose which would possibly explain why you found it a lil rough around the edges. You overdosed in a big way. I'm bordering on maximum daily dose myself which is why I'm having issues with side-effects beginning to outweigh the benefits. Tramadol will fuck you hard if you approach dosing as casually as more than doubling the maximum dose. Stuff's brutal even at standard dose.

The "phantom pain" and leg aches and the like you experienced are withdrawal symptoms . Tramadol is an opioid and an SNRI and they are both addictive drugs with notorious withdrawal syndromes. And they would be textbook examples of two of those withdrawal symptoms.

With tramadol, less is more. It's not one to go pissing about with insane doses cos it will either kill you or make your existence very unpleasant indeed for a while...

Asda pharmacy do Chlorphenamine for under a quid, if you need a cheap antihistamine. I think you get about 30, as well.

Great!!! If I lived within 100 miles of an ASDA ;)

Incidentally, in answer to my own question - magnesium helped a lot with the jaw tension. Dunno about the antihistamine cos I ended up drinking a pint of grapefruit juice and adding 450mg of codeine later instead. Bizarrely, it actually stopped the itchiez. Ya. I am struggling to explain that outcome myself...

Why do opiates make you itch when they generally lessen sensitivity to other stimuli, eg pain, the doorbell? Probably a new thread there (or a totally obvious one link answer) but anyway... I'm curious.

^ A gramme over 24 hours?!? 8o

That would be 2.5X the maximum "safe" daily dose which would possibly explain why you found it a lil rough around the edges. You overdosed in a big way. I'm bordering on maximum daily dose myself which is why I'm having issues with side-effects beginning to outweigh the benefits. Tramadol will fuck you hard if you approach dosing as casually as more than doubling the maximum dose. Stuff's brutal even at standard dose.

The "phantom pain" and leg aches and the like you experienced are withdrawal symptoms . Tramadol is an opioid and an SNRI and they are both addictive drugs with notorious withdrawal syndromes. And they would be textbook examples of two of those withdrawal symptoms.

With tramadol, less is more. It's not one to go pissing about with insane doses cos it will either kill you or make your existence very unpleasant indeed for a while...

Great!!! If I lived within 100 miles of an ASDA ;)

Incidentally, in answer to my own question - magnesium helped a lot with the jaw tension. Dunno about the antihistamine cos I ended up drinking a pint of grapefruit juice and adding 450mg of codeine later instead. Bizarrely, it actually stopped the itchiez. Ya. I am struggling to explain that outcome myself...

I wasn't just taking it for the buzz, I had an abscess in my colon the size of a fist! Thinking about it it was probably 800mg, because I took 16. For 2 weeks while I was waiting for my op I was probably taking 10 a day plus 2-4 MST. The doctor authorised me to go up to 600mg a day and NHS direct said on their poisoning/toxicity sheet that had I taken 1.2g in 24 hours I would have to go in but I would be alright at that level. Prior to that 2 week period i'd probably been taking about 200mg per day for a month or two. I went completely cold turkey following the op, and it took a good week for the physical effects to abate, but the 'come down' part of it lasted closer to a month. Now no matter how much pain i'm in I just take paracetamol and get on with it... the Tramadol has been flushed. I think a lot of people are prescribed this shit not knowing the full consequences of using it consistently over a long period of time.

Quite the opposite for me - I asked for it because of the longterm actions. But that is just down to my own situation. What you experienced would be acute opiate withdrawals (the first week or so of shiteyness) followed by the SNRI withdrawals (which last at least a month). I do agree that many folks don't really know what they're getting into with tramadol purely due to its reputation as being a "weak" opioid and nothing more. It has more potential to fuck you over than just about any other opioid due to the antidepressant action. Tis a combo from hell when it comes to withdrawals :|