• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol questions

angel8

Bluelighter
Hello. I suffer from a nerve disorder in my mouth and extreme temporal mandibular joint disorder, more commonly know as TMJ. I have found tramadol to be very helpful. I wanted to get feedback on any dangers. I never exceed more than 200 mgs a day and I take with pepsid to help my stomach. I can use it at work and it has the side effect of making me very happy and at peace while relieving my symptoms and allowing me to stay awake and focused. The flip side is I feel down the next day before I have taken it. I’m sure it’s because it’s raising my serotonin and then it drops when it wears off. That is still better that the neurological nightmare I’ve been living. Any chemistry buffs here or just anyone who can tell me if it’s ok to continue taking at this level? I feel a slight addiction building in that I get body aches and the aforementioned depression halfway through the day. But I’ve been able to stay at this dosage for two months and not take everyday. Should I be worried I’m hurting my body in any other way? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Don't go over 400mgs a day, because you could have a seizure. I take it as well, and yes, it does elevate my mood. I like it.

But taper down if you want to stop taking it...tramadol withdrawal is FUCKING HORRIBLE.

You won't have any issues if you keep your use at that level. The only issue is keeping your use low. Eventually your tolerance will increase and you'll have to make a decision about whether to take a break or to push it further and risk mental/physical side effects.

Try to cut back on your recreational use, if you are using at all for the uplift in mood.

200mg a day is a very safe dose and you won't have any problems. And yes they are moderately addictive cos of its inhibition of serotonin reuptake (Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor or SRI for short) and its a mild mu opioid agonist as well. Personally I don't like it cos of it's SRI / Antidepressant properties, it makes me feel nauseous.

EDIT: I'm not sure whether its a selective SRI or a non-selective SRI.

Last edited:
Hello. I suffer from a nerve disorder in my mouth and extreme temporal mandibular joint disorder, more commonly know as TMJ. I have found tramadol to be very helpful. I wanted to get feedback on any dangers. I never exceed more than 200 mgs a day and I take with pepsid to help my stomach. I can use it at work and it has the side effect of making me very happy and at peace while relieving my symptoms and allowing me to stay awake and focused. The flip side is I feel down the next day before I have taken it. I’m sure it’s because it’s raising my serotonin and then it drops when it wears off. That is still better that the neurological nightmare I’ve been living. Any chemistry buffs here or just anyone who can tell me if it’s ok to continue taking at this level? I feel a slight addiction building in that I get body aches and the aforementioned depression halfway through the day. But I’ve been able to stay at this dosage for two months and not take everyday. Should I be worried I’m hurting my body in any other way? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Pepsid lowers the PH of the stomach which will reduce the effects of the Tramadol.
At 200mg there is no danger. The general rule is not to take over 400mg a day, but I have taken up to 1250mg a day many times and never had a seizure and I actually suffer from seizures so am extra prone to them. Obviously I am not suggesting you take that much (or anywhere near it).

Tramadol is an SNRI (not an SRI, an SRI would be a Selective Reuptake Inhibitor, which would suggest it could inhibit the reuptake of literally anything lol) but a pretty weak one.
It is extremely unlikely you would have any problems at the dose you're on.

OP here. These responses have all been really helpful and set my mind at ease somewhat. I'm terrified of addiction, as I can feel my body kinda needing it, even at this low dose. I've actually been able to taper down a bit and am taking 100 mgs, usually just once a day. Sometimes I'll take another 50 msg a few hours later. After about 2 months at this dose, it is still very strong in it's effects. Hoping that will last. I tried taking a full 200 msg at once and got nauseous, so that solved taking too much. I just hope my stomach is ok, I can feel it paining sometimes and I don't want to get an ulcer, hence taking the Pepsid.

Pepsid lowers the PH of the stomach which will reduce the effects of the Tramadol.
At 200mg there is no danger. The general rule is not to take over 400mg a day, but I have taken up to 1250mg a day many times and never had a seizure and I actually suffer from seizures so am extra prone to them. Obviously I am not suggesting you take that much (or anywhere near it).

Tramadol is an SNRI (not an SRI, an SRI would be a Selective Reuptake Inhibitor, which would suggest it could inhibit the reuptake of literally anything lol) but a pretty weak one.
Thank you for your response. Did your stomach ever hurt at that high dose? I am getting stomach pain at even 100 mgs a day. I'm really bummed because it helps the pain and nerve issue so much

You won't have any issues if you keep your use at that level. The only issue is keeping your use low. Eventually your tolerance will increase and you'll have to make a decision about whether to take a break or to push it further and risk mental/physical side effects.

Try to cut back on your recreational use, if you are using at all for the uplift in mood.
I am able to keep my dose pretty low. I usually max out at 100 mgs a day, but sometimes go to 200, just depends on the pain and nerve issues. The only issue I am having is major stomach pain. You ever have that happen?

Thank you for your response. Did your stomach ever hurt at that high dose? I am getting stomach pain at even 100 mgs a day. I'm really bummed because it helps the pain and nerve issue so much

I haven't, but it's possible I have and not noticed as I have pancreatitis so having stomach pains or discomfort is very common for me.
Have you tried taking it with a glass of milk (preferably whole milk)?
If you tell your doctor about the stomach pains? They could give you something to help. I take Naproxen which is harsh on your stomach (as are all NSAIDs) and my doctor prescribed me Omeprazole to "protect my stomach".

Opiates are notorious for causing nausea. I don't know how bad your stomach pains are but try some OTC remedies like tums.

If that doesn't help then it might be something more concerning or your stomach just reacts especially poorly when taking opiates.

I haven't, but it's possible I have and not noticed as I have pancreatitis so having stomach pains or discomfort is very common for me.
Have you tried taking it with a glass of milk (preferably whole milk)?
If you tell your doctor about the stomach pains? They could give you something to help. I take Naproxen which is harsh on your stomach (as are all NSAIDs) and my doctor prescribed me Omeprazole to "protect my stomach".
I usually take with a full meal, but is whole milk supposed to be specifically better than just food? I also use Pepsi to protect my stomach, but that was prescribed due to Ibuprofen use, so maybe isn't helping with the tramadol as much.

Opiates are notorious for causing nausea. I don't know how bad your stomach pains are but try some OTC remedies like tums.

If that doesn't help then it might be something more concerning or your stomach just reacts especially poorly when taking opiates.
I don't get nauseous unless I take way too much, which only happened a few times when I was finding my dose. I think I just have a sensitive stomach. Same thing happened when I took steroids. I couldn't finish the full week long dosage.I do take Pepsi, which I think similar to Tums. But maybe I'll try Tums. Maybe I can take them more often than Pepsid.

Don't go over 400mgs a day, because you could have a seizure. I take it as well, and yes, it does elevate my mood. I like it.

But taper down if you want to stop taking it...tramadol withdrawal is FUCKING HORRIBLE.
What's the withdrawal like? Major depression? That's what I start to feel when I don't take it.

Hey there OP! I'm not really a chemistry buff, but I actually have some experience with nerve pain in these areas. I think you understand the basics here, but I will give a little crash course anyway. Tramadol (Ultram) is an Opioid analgesic similar in strength to Codeine. but it has the added effect of Serotonin-Norepinephrine Re-uptake Inhibition. This can modulate the analgesia of the drug, which might be why it is effective for you. But, as others have mentioned, Tramadol tends to lower the seizure threshold. This shouldn't present a major problem to the average person, but when your dosage exceeds 300mg you are playing with fire.,

As long as you are aware of this stuff and you stick to the same dosage that you've described here, I don't see any problems. When using Opioids for pain, you need to constantly be appraising your situation though. If and when you become tolerant to the analgesia of this dose, try to find an alternative to simply raising your dosage. If you need help or have any questions. we are here to help!

Hey there OP! I'm not really a chemistry buff, but I actually have some experience with nerve pain in these areas. I think you understand the basics here, but I will give a little crash course anyway. Tramadol (Ultram) is an Opioid analgesic similar in strength to Codeine. but it has the added effect of Serotonin-Norepinephrine Re-uptake Inhibition. This can modulate the analgesia of the drug, which might be why it is effective for you. But, as others have mentioned, Tramadol tends to lower the seizure threshold. This shouldn't present a major problem to the average person, but when your dosage exceeds 300mg you are playing with fire.,

As long as you are aware of this stuff and you stick to the same dosage that you've described here, I don't see any problems. When using Opioids for pain, you need to constantly be appraising your situation though. If and when you become tolerant to the analgesia of this dose, try to find an alternative to simply raising your dosage. If you need help or have any questions. we are here to help!
Thank you for your response. I really appreciate knowing that 300 mg is the most I'd want to take. Fortunately I have never gone above 200mg. And that is also quite rare. I have actually been able to reduce my dose to 50mg twice daily or 100mg once daily, just depending on my day and work cycle, etc. I try to hold off unless absolutely necessary. I don't mind being a little dependent on them physically as I think there is a big difference between doing opioids for fun and doing them to truly help with pain and discomfort. And they truly do help. I am a bit concerned about the seizure risk however. But if my low dose is really nothing to worry about, then I will continue. There's some days I don't take it at all, so I think I'll be ok.

This iil fucker of a pain reliever is brutal. Yup this one fell through the cracks. It needs more warnings and restrictions. Its not good at all, to be put on medication from dr.s with out an exit plan. My aunt almost went insane
She had no idea she was going to be left to feel like a hype smh.. throw it away.

This iil fucker of a pain reliever is brutal. Yup this one fell through the cracks. It needs more warnings and restrictions. Its not good at all, to be put on medication from dr.s with out an exit plan. My aunt almost went insane
She had no idea she was going to be left to feel like a hype smh.. throw it away.
I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt. However, I am well aware of the dangers of all medications. So far Tramadol has been the only thing to successfully help me with a neurological disorder that doctors can't seem to figure out. I don't relay on doctors to guide me through my drug use. That's a sad statement, but true. Hence asking here on this forum. My rule of thumb is to never go above 200 mgs. And if I want to get off of it, ween myself off and book a trip to a health retreat somewhere. In the meantime, life was hell without it. I prefer the reprieve even if I have to go through hell again to get off of it.

How many milligrams was your Aunt taking when she tried to get off of it? And for how long did she take it?

Technically it effects a broad range of neurotransmitter's.

Correct me where I am wrong please!

It's a Norepinefrine reuptake inhibitor, Serotonin releaser, Gaba antagonist and NMDA antagonist. On top of the opiod action. A chemical factory in a pill/ capsule

Technically it effects a broad range of neurotransmitter's.

Correct me where I am wrong please!

It's a Norepinefrine reuptake inhibitor, Serotonin releaser, Gaba antagonist and NMDA antagonist. On top of the opiod action. A chemical factory in a pill/ capsule
Is that why in addition to making the nerve issues decrease so much, I also feel really good? I can focus better and I'm more alert, which is great, because I can take it at work. I've never done anti-depressants, but this stuff makes me wonder if maybe I needed to! Kinda kidding!

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt. However, I am well aware of the dangers of all medications. So far Tramadol has been the only thing to successfully help me with a neurological disorder that doctors can't seem to figure out. I don't relay on doctors to guide me through my drug use. That's a sad statement, but true. Hence asking here on this forum. My rule of thumb is to never go above 200 mgs. And if I want to get off of it, ween myself off and book a trip to a health retreat somewhere. In the meantime, life was hell without it. I prefer the reprieve even if I have to go through hell again to get off of it.

How many milligrams was your Aunt taking when she tried to get off of it? And for how long did she take it?
Im guessing 300mg in 3s Her meds were done no refills. Her next appointment the dr said to her advil tylenol have a nice day everything looks good. Then she had a really devastating withdrawal. There was nothing the dr office told her to drink lots fluids it will pass. Ahhh 2 weeks later she finally felt ok. I just remember her saying i thought at one point i was gonna die. Smh my advice to you is start doing your own exit plan for this medication. What you have isnt gonna be fixed but helped. Do your own research with your disorder. So many alternatives out there that work. Best to you😉